Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

inferis posted:

Yeah surely it’s coincidental that the guy who started a podcast with woody Allen as his first guest is an associate of a convicted pedophile.

loving lol, I didn't know that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

I don't remember that. I know he tries to force himself on the woman at the rehab clinic (ew), but that doesn't work, so later he blackmails into sex (double ew). He's then creepy with the one woman in the bathtub with the shoes. But I don't remember actual forceable rape like in Goldfinger (attempted followed by blackmail, which, yeah, terrible, but he forcibly rapes Pussy Galore in a barn in Goldfinger).

I had to go back and read my write up on Thunderball in the old thread to remind myself of these things, btw. I don't have total recall of the assaults in that movie. Also, I forgot most of Thunderball because it's a boring movie.

Alan Moore really did a good job writing what Bond actually was in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Basebf555 posted:

There's no concrete information about the circumstances of when he pulled the trigger. He may not have been loving around, it may have been like a POV style shot where he was supposed to be firing towards the camera.

It's gonna come down to if he was a "producer" or actually legit producing the movie because the person actually responsible for producer functions would definitely be involved in hiring the prop people(who were clearly ridiculously unqualified).

Yeah, a lot of actors are producers as vanity titles. It's basically a way for them to get more money, but most of them don't really do anything.

Either way, it's really sad. Halyna was a talented person, and I think we shouldn't lose sight of that.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2021-10-22/alec-baldwin-rust-camera-crew-walked-off-set

Some of the crew had walked off set and were replaced by scabs that morning.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Alec Baldwin was the producer so surely sag should kick him out now right?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Those texts keep being deleted so imma wait until things get confirmed

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

CelticPredator posted:

Those texts keep being deleted so imma wait until things get confirmed

I mean, the LA Times story two posts up confirms that union people walked off the set.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah people walked off. I’m just not gonna buy those specific texts until they are confirmed

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
That thing about Jimmy Fallon most likely facilitating the grooming and sexual exploitation of minors by Horatio Sanz sure disappeared fast. Between poo poo like that and the fact that Fallon has such status in television without even a hint of talent I've always wondered if he has something on someone big.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

CPL593H posted:

That thing about Jimmy Fallon most likely facilitating the grooming and sexual exploitation of minors by Horatio Sanz sure disappeared fast. Between poo poo like that and the fact that Fallon has such status in television without even a hint of talent I've always wondered if he has something on someone big.

Fallon does a killer Neil Young impression

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I doubt it goes much deeper than Lorne Michaels liking him.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

inferis posted:

Yeah surely it’s coincidental that the guy who started a podcast with woody Allen as his first guest is an associate of a convicted pedophile.

Also he opened that podcast with a statement that Woody Allen is completely innocent and that the accusations are all false. Which yeah I assumed that's what he believed because he had him on as a guest, but for him to literally say that is something else alright.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Also Leno was on for years so no accounting for taste.

I also don’t think people should jump to conclusions that a story is dead. The Sanz stuff was not a well researched Farrowesque takedown or a criminal investigation. It was reporting on a lawsuit. That doesn’t diminish the claims, but there is nothing else to report besides the lawsuit. You do have to look at what happens in the longrun. There was a bunch of dead silence on Cuomo’s accusers and then one day it all came crashing down.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 23, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I also don’t think people should jump to conclusions that a story is dead. The Sanz stuff was not a well researched Farrowesque takedown or a criminal investigation. It was reporting on a lawsuit. That doesn’t diminish the claims, but there is nothing else to report besides the lawsuit. You do have to look at what happens in the longrun. There was a bunch of dead silence on Cuomo’s accusers and then one day it all came crashing down.

That's a valid point but it's not like show business managing to sweep a bunch of sexual assault and pedophilia under the rug is much of a stretch.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CPL593H posted:

That's a valid point but it's not like show business managing to sweep a bunch of sexual assault and pedophilia under the rug is much of a stretch.

See the BBC

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Jimmy Fallon is a talentless hack who only has the Tonight Show because he kept his mouth shut while NBC did Conan dirty, but the worst accusation you can make against him based on available statements is he didn't narc out a minor for drinking underage.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

CPL593H posted:

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I won't be shocked if there are no ramifications for him or Sanz. I just get wary when people default to that expectation And I think the implication of there not being coverage as evidence of that is faulty.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Timeless Appeal posted:

The lawsuit is also still happening iirc, so when actual court dates occur there will be more information that comes out

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Just a bit of insight into 'Baldwin is a producer! He's responsible too!'. That's possibly the case, but given that he's one of like eight I'm not sure how involved he would be in the day to day of things.

https://twitter.com/Timobros/status/1452271653329715208?t=g4PWqoZX3FSzTHst6wetsQ&s=19

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
thought this subject was way too much of a tangent but well poo poo

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/24/entertainment/rust-shooting-assistant-director-halls-complaints/index.html

quote:

A crew member who also worked in the productions but requested to not be named for fear of retaliation corroborated Goll's accounts, saying that when Halls did hold safety meetings, they were short and he was dismissive, saying the guns used would be the same as the production always uses, and questioning why they'd have to hold the meetings in the first place.

quote:

On the allegations of sexual misconduct, Goll said she did not file a complaint, but says that "on my first day back on the series, another crew member told me to 'watch out' for Dave, saying he was too physically familiar with the crew, despite many rebuffs and complaints about unwanted and unnecessary touches. Nothing too extreme, but crew members of all genders and dispositions were being made uncomfortable by Dave's touches to their backs, waists, shoulders, etc."

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

DrVenkman posted:

Just a bit of insight into 'Baldwin is a producer! He's responsible too!'. That's possibly the case, but given that he's one of like eight I'm not sure how involved he would be in the day to day of things.

https://twitter.com/Timobros/status/1452271653329715208?t=g4PWqoZX3FSzTHst6wetsQ&s=19
He still kept working when other people walked off set due to safety concerns. That was fully within his power and might have actually caused the production to care.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DrVenkman posted:

Again - this is the problem with non-unionized labor. There is no standard.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Again - this is the problem with non-unionized labor. There is no standard.

Yeah, the calls for 'banning' props and using CGI muzzle flashes doesn't really address the problem. It's non-union, unqualified, overworked and underpaid staff. Look at the death of Sarah Jones on MIDNIGHT RIDER for example. But I feel the argument around all this has turned into a guns issue. I listened to something the other day that called it 'systemic' which is a weird way of putting it when gun deaths on set are exceedingly rare.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I'm guess the union vs. non-union labor issue is being purposely overlooked because the powers that be don't want to bring it to the public's attention.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah, the calls for 'banning' props and using CGI muzzle flashes doesn't really address the problem. It's non-union, unqualified, overworked and underpaid staff. Look at the death of Sarah Jones on MIDNIGHT RIDER for example. But I feel the argument around all this has turned into a guns issue. I listened to something the other day that called it 'systemic' which is a weird way of putting it when gun deaths on set are exceedingly rare.

The Sarah Jones thing is beyond belief.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Also don't normal prop guns have different chamber sizes from real guns to prevent this very thing from happening? Like he wasn't firing a prop gun he was firing a normal gun that was just pinky promise filled with blanks.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Terrible Opinions posted:

Also don't normal prop guns have different chamber sizes from real guns to prevent this very thing from happening? Like he wasn't firing a prop gun he was firing a normal gun that was just pinky promise filled with blanks.

Well, when you have a competent crew handling things, it's not a pinky promise. But when you cut corners and have an AD who actively ignores safety regulations and belittles every safe guard, that's a recipe for disaster.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The Union stuff also gets a little murky. It was in fact a Union shoot, but when they threatened to walk over conditions that morning someone brought in scabs from a local film school and had the Uniom members removed from the shoot.

The head armorer for the shoot was still on set at the time of the incident, so either she was never Union or she stayed against the wishes of the Union and was no longer representing the Union. This was only her second movie as head armorer so I can her getting pressured to stick around to avoid a reputation as 'difficult'.

Then there's the latest news that the gun was loaded with live ammunition because someone decided the scabs should be allowed to fire some guns off to 'get a feel for them' and was then never cleared of live ammo.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

if i was a producer i probably wouldn’t continue as usual after the people in charge of guns quit and there were already multiple accidental discharges

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Veteran prop master turned down 'Rust' film: 'An accident waiting to happen'
https://news.yahoo.com/veteran-prop-master-turned-down-230617847.html

'"There were massive red flags," he said in an interview Sunday with The Times.

He said he felt that "Rust" was too much of a slapdash production, one with an overriding focus on saving money instead of a concern for people's safety. Production managers didn't seem to value experience and were brushing off his questions, he said.

Zoromski ultimately told "Rust" production managers that he would take a pass.

"After I pressed 'send' on that last email, I felt, in the pit of my stomach: 'That is an accident waiting to happen,'" he said.

And the deal breaker?

Zoromski said he initially asked for a department of five technicians. He was told that "Rust" was a low-budget production and that plans were to use items from a local prop house. He modified his request to have at least two experienced crew members: one to serve as an assistant prop master and the other as an armorer, or gun wrangler, dedicated to making sure the weapons were safe, oiled and functioning properly.

But the "Rust" producers insisted that only one person was needed to handle both tasks.

"You never have a prop assistant double as the armorer," Zoromski said. "Those are two really big jobs."'

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

It's a little hosed up that we know the names of so many people involved in the RUST incident and nothing about how involved the producers were in decision making. Were they there or not?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I can give you a pretty definitive answer for one of them, I guess

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The other question I haven't seen addressed in dozens of articles I've read is whether or not cameras were rolling when the shooting took place.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
It's been reported that Baldwin was rehearsing a shot where he draws a gun and points it at the camera. I know nothing about film sets so I dunno if it's normal for camera to be rolling during rehearsals in the digital age. I feel like if there was a recording its existence would have been leaked by police by now but who knows.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Zogo posted:

The other question I haven't seen addressed in dozens of articles I've read is whether or not cameras were rolling when the shooting took place.

As per the sheriff's press conference today, no footage exists of the shooting:

https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/1453395207957975048

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Eggnogium posted:

It's been reported that Baldwin was rehearsing a shot where he draws a gun and points it at the camera. I know nothing about film sets so I dunno if it's normal for camera to be rolling during rehearsals in the digital age. I feel like if there was a recording its existence would have been leaked by police by now but who knows.

Some people roll on rehearsal. But it’s not required.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

This is a pretty good piece about the murky world of someone being credited as a Producer.

https://twitter.com/mynette/status/1453385466657579008?t=8qPZLBckZGP8NOSd9fpyyA&s=19

It's notable that either there was no Line Producer on this, or they had their name taken off it on IMDB. Baldwin had apparently supported the crew in striking, so I wonder if the whole thing became one of those 'just tell me where to stand and do my lines so I can get out of here' shitshows.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Skwirl posted:

Led Zeppelin basically kidnapped a girl for a week and nothing happened.
Yeah, I get a lot of poo poo off David Bowie fans for letting people know that he hosed kids, and the response when it's somebody who knows about me is usually "weren't Led Zeppelin your favorite band?"

What a way to respond to some poo poo. "You think bad thing is bad? What about other bad thing? Was that bad? Checkmate. :smuggo:

Yeah. Yeah, other bad thing was also bad. Next question.

Shageletic posted:

Alan Moore really did a good job writing what Bond actually was in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
This is pretty funny considering after he passed on The Matrix because he didn't undestand it and it became a huge hit, Connery said yes to the next film to cross his desk that he didn't understand: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

He hated it so much he never acted again.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Yeah, I get a lot of poo poo off David Bowie fans for letting people know that he hosed kids, and the response when it's somebody who knows about me is usually "weren't Led Zeppelin your favorite band?"

What a way to respond to some poo poo. "You think bad thing is bad? What about other bad thing? Was that bad? Checkmate. :smuggo:

This is pretty funny considering after he passed on The Matrix because he didn't undestand it and it became a huge hit, Connery said yes to the next film to cross his desk that he didn't understand: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

He hated it so much he never acted again.

I don't blame him too much, if the Wachowskis had directed League of Extraordinary Gentleman and whoever did League instead directed The Matrix, League would absolutely be the better of the two movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

LividLiquid posted:

you dont have to say led zeppelin is your favorite band you know