Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
“Do you swim? You won’t”…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

“Do you swim? You won’t”…

holy loving poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was from BvS though?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Rhyno posted:

Yeah boy versus swimming…

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Yeah boy versus swimming…

Jesus. Good show.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Jesus. Good show.

That was walking, not swimming.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Snowman_McK posted:

That was walking, not swimming.

Noice!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I don't think we can hold a 5-year-old accountable for a possible accident 45 years ago, but we can hold a 50-something year old director and screenwriter accountable for using it for pity points about four and a half decades later.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Rhyno posted:

yeah I guess if we wanted the Whedon version it would be "yeah, someone's definitely drowning"

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

edogawa rando posted:

Shane Carruth is a gently caress, and I don't care how good Primer or Upstream Color or whatever other movies he's made are, because I'm not watching them out of general principle.
they're two of my favorite films of all time that each feel sui generis with apparently no else in movies trying to take up their mantle and I still wouldn't want you to give that piece of poo poo loser the time of day

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
I suppose it's his excuse for constantly portraying people falling over face-down into things.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

A new angle for bullying on this is that Joss Whedon, despite being old and wealthy, can't swim.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Joss Whedon apparently cast as Frankenstein's Monster.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

I don't think we can hold a 5-year-old accountable for a possible accident 45 years ago, but we can hold a 50-something year old director and screenwriter accountable for using it for pity points about four and a half decades later.

I do have note that it's Lena Dunham level of bringing up hosed up things from childhood that no asked for

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I will never understand why the gently caress people bring forward this kind of information. This, Liam Neeson wanting to kill black people, Lena Dunham's molestation... What exactly do these people think they GAIN from this. It doesn't make sense.

normal-ass vampire
Feb 14, 2011
I feel like it's a weird combination of thinking "people value honesty and appreciate when you acknowledge your flaws and mistakes" and being isolated from normal life because they're celebrities. Their sense if what's socially appropriate is warped by money and fame.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

emo-ignorance posted:

The worst part of the Joss Whedon profile was the reveal that his real name is Joseph.
Joss Whedon sucks and I'll never forgive him, but this is gross, and so was the article's treatment of it.

People's "real" names are whatever they tell you they are. The writer didn't need to include that information in an article about how big a piece of poo poo the guy is as a gotchya' about him being a pretentious douche.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

LividLiquid posted:

Joss Whedon sucks and I'll never forgive him, but this is gross, and so was the article's treatment of it.

People's "real" names are whatever they tell you they are. The writer didn't need to include that information in an article about how big a piece of poo poo the guy is as a gotchya' about him being a pretentious douche.

Counterpoint: Joss hosed up and used his nickname and his legal name interchangeably on a bunch of documents and hosed himself over, which as a trans individual in the middle of that paperwork nightmare, is loving hilarious to see happen to someone deserving when I have to cross all my Ts and dot all my Is on the right papers at the right time.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

LividLiquid posted:

I don't think it was used as a gotcha in the article? It's two words. "Born Joseph," followed by more biographical information about him. It's also been public knowledge for quite some time, but the Vulture article was the first I heard of it. It's not like he's trans and Joseph is his deadname. Frankly, it would be bad writing if every single detail in the article was specifically about what a piece of poo poo he is.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

emo-ignorance posted:

I don't think it was used as a gotcha in the article? It's two words. "Born Joseph," followed by more biographical information about him. It's also been public knowledge for quite some time, but the Vulture article was the first I heard of it. It's not like he's trans and Joseph is his deadname. Frankly, it would be bad writing if every single detail in the article was specifically about what a piece of poo poo he is.
Why even mention it? What is to be gained, other than to solidify in the minds of some that people's name changes aren't valid? Why does it matter to any of us what he was "born" as? Particularly since he wasn't "born" anything. His parents gave him that name, and they're not the authority on what his name is or should be, so it's best left unsaid.

And I'm trans too, so I'm glad it doesn't bother you, SBG, but I'm sick to death of people treating my parents as the authority on what my name "really" is.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
It just means that his parents named him Joseph and "Joss" is just a weird diminutive form of the name that he uses.

What a weird thing for poeple to get fixated over, when there's plenty of other poo poo in that article to scrutinise.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

edogawa rando posted:

It just means that his parents named him Joseph and "Joss" is just a weird diminutive form of the name that he uses.

What a weird thing for poeple to get fixated over, when there's plenty of other poo poo in that article to scrutinise.
If it's a weird thing for people to get fixated over, why are you coming after me and not the person who wrote about it to begin with?

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

LividLiquid posted:

Why even mention it? What is to be gained, other than to solidify in the minds of some that people's name changes aren't valid? Why does it matter to any of us what he was "born" as? Particularly since he wasn't "born" anything. His parents gave him that name, and they're not the authority on what his name is or should be, so it's best left unsaid.

And I'm trans too, so I'm glad it doesn't bother you, SBG, but I'm sick to death of people treating my parents as the authority on what my name "really" is.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

AceOfFlames posted:

I will never understand why the gently caress people bring forward this kind of information. This, Liam Neeson wanting to kill black people, Lena Dunham's molestation... What exactly do these people think they GAIN from this. It doesn't make sense.

normal-rear end vampire posted:

I feel like it's a weird combination of thinking "people value honesty and appreciate when you acknowledge your flaws and mistakes" and being isolated from normal life because they're celebrities. Their sense if what's socially appropriate is warped by money and fame.

Also, lots of people have a strong urge to confess wrongdoings no matter how bad they are. They hope to gain some kind of absolution for their conscience. It's why many people confess their crimes to friends years later.

I've heard stories about murderers getting away with the crime but the case being reopened because they confessed to some friend years later. Certain things can just really eat away at the psyche.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1483832368360218627?s=20

tangential but really weird

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

In case it was ever in question -- I don't actually think Joss changing his name is worse than him cheating on his wife or abusing employees or maybe killing a kid. I was just having a laugh

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

emo-ignorance posted:

In case it was ever in question -- I don't actually think Joss changing his name is worse than him cheating on his wife or abusing employees or maybe killing a kid. I was just having a laugh

I thought that was clear enough, but :shrug:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Coaaab posted:

they're two of my favorite films of all time that each feel sui generis with apparently no else in movies trying to take up their mantle and I still wouldn't want you to give that piece of poo poo loser the time of day

I'm generally pretty comfortable separating art and artist for a lot of things but that guy is an absolute monster and it really sours his movies due to how personal they feel. I hate to throw Primer on the "Bill Cosby" pile of irredeemable media because it's one of my favorite evers but there's no way I could watch it now. I hope the dude never hurts anyone again.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Didn't Machine Gun Kelly die in the 50s?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

Neeson doesn't belong in the same category as the others. He was asked a question about how revenge fantasies play out in real life and he told a story that reveals that, no poo poo, they're horrifying. I thought that was his point, that it was only okay specifically as a safe fantasy in fictional story. He knew it was an awful thing to have done. That was why he told the story.

At least that's my memory of it and my memory has proven over and over that it's loving useless.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

Neeson doesn't belong in the same category as the others. He was asked a question about how revenge fantasies play out in real life and he told a story that reveals that, no poo poo, they're horrifying. I thought that was his point, that it was only okay specifically as a safe fantasy in fictional story. He knew it was an awful thing to have done. That was why he told the story.

At least that's my memory of it and my memory has proven over and over that it's loving useless.

Yeah, that's how I read it too. Still though, if I ever got internet famous, I'm saying jack about poo poo, and I'm sure as poo poo not connecting myself to this username here.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

That is what he attempted to say but what he actually said was "When I heard someone close to me was raped, the first thing I did was ask what color he was and then I spent days hoping I could murder someone of the same color." That is not a "Oh well I could put myself in his shoes" response. That is an absolutely unbelievable level of racist and him going "But y'know I realize that was bad as I use it to promote my horrible revenge fantasy movie" doesn't actually change the fact that his response was pure unbridled racism and he didn't seem to realize it.

Like if he'd told a story about how someone close to him was hurt and he wished he could hurt the person who hurt them, it'd be a lot less "holy poo poo." When he went "Someone close to me was hurt and that made me eager for a chance to murder a black person" that has nothing to do with revenge fantasy. It is him talking about the time he wanted to racistly murder an innocent person who just happened to share the skin color. That's the key there. He would not have said the same thing about a white person.

And there's also the not-so-little fact that he was playing the victim for someone else's trauma. Using someone else's rape as an excuse to live out a horrifyingly racist fantasy. Even in the interview he says he feels bad for it because he understands revenge fantasies are bad, which glosses over the small part that he wasn't having a revenge fantasy. He was having a "I want to murder an innocent person because of their skin color" fantasy.

It really needs to be stressed how significant that is. This was not a revenge fantasy. He specifically stated his fantasy was to find a 'black bastard' and he waited outside of pubs hoping someone would bother him so he could justifiably murder him. You don't do that if you're looking for revenge on someone who hurt someone close to you. You don't even do that in the revenge flick fantasy of "killing the bad people who hurt an innocent person." He wanted to murder an innocent person. That is his concept of revenge and when he told the story he made it pretty clear that the problem he saw was "revenge is bad and doesn't solve anything" and not "Holy poo poo I wanted to kill an innocent person because of their skin color, how insanely racist is that?"

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 21, 2022

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How many people have drowned in things Whedon has written or produced?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Rhyno posted:

How many people have drowned in things Whedon has written or produced?

At the end of season 1 of Buffy she temporarily drowns after being left face-down in water by the baddies.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Digging through the rap sheet where I'm probated repeatedly for standing up (admittedly often extremely clumsily) for marginalized peeps isn't the spectacular burn you think it is and usernames changing on a web forum isn't the same as somebody asking you to use their real name in real life.

These things matter. You shouldn't call a woman a whore or whatever just because she does actually suck. It doesn't hurt the person who sucks. It hurts a lot of innocent people. Reporters going out of their way to tell their readers somebody's birth name is a bad loving thing. Full stop.

I don't give a single gently caress what happens to Joss Whedon. gently caress that guy. But this doesn't hurt him. It hurts anybody still trying to convince a hostile world that their name is their name.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mate, if you're going to get this bent out of shape over "Born Joseph," you might need to log off for a bit.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

Today I learned that having a nickname is the same as being transgender

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I get the whole dead-naming thing and wanting to push back against that sort of thing, but this ain't it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

*a lot of very good points that I broadly disagree with*

So he specifically included a whole bunch of details that skew the story racially and make him look far worse but you think he wasn't aware of the racist part of the story or how bad it made him look?

The fact that his 'revenge' wouldn't even be against the person who did it is part of the critique of revenge fantasies. In how many revenge films does the hero start with people who don't have anything to do with the original act? Who just broadly fit the profile? That's most of, for instance, Death Wish's running time. All the people who broadly fit the profile are also bad in some way, justifying the hero's actions. But the more likely path is just beating the poo poo out of random people. In a revenge fantasy, that random anger and violence leads either to people who are up to no good if not the people who they're looking for, or eventually someone who is who they're looking for. That random anger ends up justified in the world of the film.

Maybe I'm just biased towards a charitable view since I've been a fan of Neeson for a long time, but I also think you're extrapolating a little too much from a story he told off the cuff. If he'd worked through it with a therapist and then written it down as an essay or open letter, fair enough, but he's publicly telling a story that he's likely told very few people. It's a story that makes him confront some very ugly parts of himself and I'm inclined to cut someone a little slack.

Anyway, this is a derail in a thread that's already prone to really bad details. Your points are well made and well taken.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
I feel like there is a difference with dead-naming someone who is transgender and bringing up Joss changed his name. With the person who is transgender, it’s part of their identity and nothing else. There’s no legitimate reason to bring up the old name, other than to deny them control over their name. Joss reinvented his identity to do better with the ladies, and this kind of feels relevant to what he’s doing right now.