Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

This isn't limited to the Depp/Heard trial, but there is a significant... uhh... subset, of the populace of this country for whom "FREE SPEECH!" is of paramount importance, and who simultaneously support the idea of suing people for saying things they don't like.

And also this same subset of people is now crowing things like "And thus endeth #MeToo :smug:"

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

emo-ignorance posted:

I don't understand the logistics of finding them both liable. So Heard was being defamatory when she called Depp abusive, but Depp was also defamatory when he said it was a hoax?

The 2 mil was probably a compromise to get 1~ jury holdout on board with the main ruling.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

emo-ignorance posted:

I don't understand the logistics of finding them both liable. So Heard was being defamatory when she called Depp abusive, but Depp was also defamatory when he said it was a hoax?

Depp's lawyer was found to have made a defamatory statement in response to the original defamation.

MrMojok posted:

This isn't limited to the Depp/Heard trial, but there is a significant... uhh... subset, of the populace of this country for whom "FREE SPEECH!" is of paramount importance, and who simultaneously support the idea of suing people for saying things they don't like.

And also this same subset of people is now crowing things like "And thus endeth #MeToo :shepface:"

People have been declaring #metoo dead for a while, but this will definitely chill it. I think most serial abusers/groomers still have a lot to worry about.

Lethemonster posted:

I dont think he has saved his career when everyone loving hated working with him by that point and he is about to go to court again for punching a man on set.

Seeing the statements that the jury decided were defamatory is absolutely insane. He gets over 10 million for statements where she only references herself and how people responded to her, and she gets 2 million for his lawyer outright saying, televised, she fabricated a crime scene for police. And the jury had to decide that she retweeted a link to the article "with malice" for it to be relevant still.

That kind of poo poo happens with male megastars all the time though. Russell Crowe was well-known for attacking people and being aggro generally.

Defeat for Depp would be a Mel Gibson situation. Depp's been getting booked for movies throughout.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Depp's lawyer was found to have made a defamatory statement in response to the original defamation.

Right, but defamation needs to be false, so how are both "He abused me" and "She's lying" defamatory? Dumb jury

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

pospysyl posted:

Juries are dumb, OP

I honestly will never understand why jury trials are still a thing.

Hell as a European the whole common law system baffles me. Just have a non politically appointed judge look at a book of laws he has no influence over and have him decide if the defendant broke a rule or not with the lawyers on either side to give arguments in favor or against. Why is that so hard to understand?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

emo-ignorance posted:

Right, but defamation needs to be false, so how are both "He abused me" and "She's lying" defamatory? Dumb jury

Because they’re being told to make a decision based on specific statements and how truthful or accurate they believe they were about those very specific circumstances being discussed, not an overall “which one of these people is the biggest shitbag in the relationship” position.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Evan Rachel Wood is already receiving harassment from Depp fans saying she's next

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

emo-ignorance posted:

Because she was caught openly and brazenly lying multiple times during her cross examinations. Whether the abuse was true or not that is the goal of the lawyer to make her credibility go out the window, and she looked ridiculously unbelievable up there lying about edited photos

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think the idea that you can write an article about abuse and then get sued by the abuser is very bad, no good.

I don't particularly care about this trial either way, but when the GOP is trumpeting his "win" I think I know which side was probably wronged here.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I think assumptions like that shows just how deeply culture war has permeated everything. Republicans don’t care about Amber Heard they care that me too “lost” or whatever the gently caress goes on in their dumb minds.

Do you really think Republicans care about an actor who moved to France and has never had a nice thing to say about their party? Or are they just bad faith actors latching on to anything to score points? They’re a spiteful bunch of gremlins.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

Hell as a European the whole common law system baffles me. Just have a non politically appointed judge look at a book of laws he has no influence over and have him decide if the defendant broke a rule or not with the lawyers on either side to give arguments in favor or against. Why is that so hard to understand?

Our judges are also all morons

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

If you think juries are bad you haven't seen the judges

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

weekly font posted:

I think assumptions like that shows just how deeply culture war has permeated everything. Republicans don’t care about Amber Heard they care that me too “lost” or whatever the gently caress goes on in their dumb minds.

Do you really think Republicans care about an actor who moved to France and has never had a nice thing to say about their party? Or are they just bad faith actors latching on to anything to score points? They’re a spiteful bunch of gremlins.
technically he lives in france like 49% of the year to pay american taxes or something like that iirc

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

graventy posted:

I think the idea that you can write an article about abuse and then get sued by the abuser is very bad, no good.

I don't particularly care about this trial either way, but when the GOP is trumpeting his "win" I think I know which side was probably wronged here.

In the USA at least, if you sue for defamation, it is really hard to win those types of cases. IIRC, you basically have to prove the other person actively knew they were lying when they made a statement, which is really hard to to do

And since Heard was caught on the stand lying about photos, well

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Yeah that make up thing was weird as poo poo and seemed pretty trivial but landed like a nuke on social media to discredit her.

A lot of it seems like both had huge egos at play and never considered the slightest chance they would ever get caught out for their bullshit.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I don’t see Depp’s career actually making a comeback from this. I can see him doing a couple higher profile things before the producers go “oh wait, this guy’s still a drunken mess who doesn’t know his lines.” I’m sure he’ll still get work, but not anything all that big. Maybe Mordecai 2.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

AceOfFlames posted:

Who would appoint the non politically appointed judges?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

wizardofloneliness posted:

I don’t see Depp’s career actually making a comeback from this. I can see him doing a couple higher profile things before the producers go “oh wait, this guy’s still a drunken mess who doesn’t know his lines.” I’m sure he’ll still get work, but not anything all that big. Maybe Mordecai 2.

Yup. His career was already in the skids before this. Biggest parts he lost as a direct result of the accusations were Grindelwald and Jack Sparrow. The former won't likely get another movie greenlit and Disney will definitely not ask him to come back for the latter. Him and Jared Leto can duke it out for gimmicky obnoxious parts in lame movies.

Hell, maybe Depp can play the villain of Morbius 2: It's Morbin Time.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Who would appoint the non politically appointed judges?

Fair point.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Well, this is depressing as poo poo.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Congratulations to Johnny Depp.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

graventy posted:

The article pretty much pointed to Depp. He defended himself. There's nothing weird about that at all.

Also, evidence suggests that she, not him, is the abuser. So maybe slow your roll with the label gun.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
This thread is about to get loving horrible.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Snowman_McK posted:

About to. lol

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

“I spoke up against sexual violence—and faced our culture’s wrath.”

“I became a public figure representing domestic abuse.”

That's all she said. Can't identify as a victim of abuse without being accused of defamation anymore.

Snowman_McK posted:

also, yeah. I'm checking out, not worth my sanity!

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
To think, a simple clarification that it wasn't Depp she referred to could have prevented this whole misunderstanding. But yes. Go do some self-care. I'm sure it's tiring.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Metis of the Hallways posted:

“I spoke up against sexual violence—and faced our culture’s wrath.”

“I became a public figure representing domestic abuse.”

That's all she said. Can't identify as a victim of abuse without being accused of defamation anymore.

also, yeah. I'm checking out, not worth my sanity!

She specified a time frame following a high profile divorce. The jury seemed to think it was pretty obvious who she was referring to. Probably didn’t help she outright says during her cross examination “that’s why I wrote it about him.”

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Snowman_McK posted:

except there's a chance it might stop talking about it

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

phasmid posted:

To think, a simple clarification that it wasn't Depp she referred to could have prevented this whole misunderstanding. But yes. Go do some self-care. I'm sure it's tiring.

gently caress off you misogynist freak

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’ve been on the receiving end of false allegations of DV and even I think this is hosed up.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

moonmazed posted:

gently caress off you misogynist freak
Right on schedule.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It was terrible the moment people started posting about it when they never watched it. Just like any Cined thread.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

phasmid posted:

Right on schedule.

:qq: people are mad about the poo poo i said specifically to make them mad

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

moonmazed posted:

:qq: people are mad about the poo poo i said specifically to make them mad

If it works, stick with it

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

weekly font posted:

She specified a time frame following a high profile divorce. The jury seemed to think it was pretty obvious who she was referring to. Probably didn’t help she outright says during her cross examination “that’s why I wrote it about him.”

I kind of wonder if that ended up hurting her case too. Not naming him might have made it seem to the jury like Hollywood sniping and rear end covering, as opposed to a heartfelt statement.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

weekly font posted:

It was terrible the moment people started posting about it when they never watched it. Just like any Cined thread.

yeah just like all those assholes who didn’t watch weeks of a murder trial who thought OJ getting off was a sham

No one should ever comment on a legal proceeding that they have not consumed vicariously for weeks at a time ever again, there are simply no other ways to have a perfectly informed opinion

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Glad we agree

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

History Comes Inside! posted:

Because they’re being told to make a decision based on specific statements and how truthful or accurate they believe they were about those very specific circumstances being discussed, not an overall “which one of these people is the biggest shitbag in the relationship” position.

I mean, that was exactly what Depp's strategy was. He never made any attempt to prove she lied about saying she was the victim of domestic abuse, he just made sure the jury knew she was also a weird hollywood piece of poo poo and relied on the jury going 'well I assume she lied there too then', that and almost certainly had a massive media time posting epic memes about his lawyer crushing that stupid bitch who looked to the side once or whatever those buckets of weird freaks on youtube kept talking about.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
like, a serious attempt to prove defamation wouldn't include a full day's worth of "SHE POOPED THE BED" focused arguments and a vaping doorman going 'uh yea I think she screamed at him sometimes' but Depp's team knew what the jury would never forget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Nish Kumar owns.