Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/prettydarke/status/1532428373422592001

Holy gently caress he got on the grift fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

I thought they were being asked if it was slander/libel which is quite obviously should not have been. Were they being asked for something else?

No, and that's the entire problem with this trial. It became a social referendum on Amber Heard's own behavior and not any of the facts like "yes, Johnny Depp hit her multiple times therefore she was valid to refer to him as such"

The fact this thread descend into a back and forth of their behavior to each other is just a symptom of the real problem, people treating this case like it was about anything Amber Heard did beyond write that article. All the clickbait, comedy skits, jokes, memes etc. deflected from the trial substance, and Depp's legal team managed to turn it into a circus with vaping witness and a bombshell reveal from Kate Moss to feed the social media monster and secure their own reputation regardless of the outcome.

The only abuse in question was the abuse committed by Depp, and he'd already lost one trial against a newspaper who called him a wife beater, something that is rarely getting mentioned in this whole debacle.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Terrible Opinions posted:

I thought they were being asked if it was slander/libel which is quite obviously should not have been. Were they being asked for something else?

Amber Heard's defense team did not focus arguments on the idea that it was a matter of first amendment and free speech. This was probably a winning track, arguing that Amber felt victimized and that was the reasoning behind the op-ed. Instead they argued that everything even loosely mentioned in it was true, opening the door for a lot more to be brought in under discovery. Putting yourself on defense and needing to explain a lot of the more "sensational" aspects of the relationship, clearly, did not play with the jury.

This is not commentary on who was an abuser, just a point on why so much about abuse was brought into the defamation case and why it became a referendum on that.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I think we've pretty much exhausted this topic.

I am also going to close this thread, it's over 4 years old at this point and needs a refresh. Not sure when a new thread will be made and I ask no one make one without running it past me or (if I'm away/unresponsive) Roth.