Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

MeinPanzer posted:

As an outsider who only recently moved to the UK and isn't intimately familiar with TERFism, can anyone summarise its tenets for me?

Anti trans feminists. Hate on trans women and try to exclude them / supports anti trans movements and laws under the guise of protecting “real” women etc

Edit: to be fair it’s got nothing to do with sex pests and saying “they are a TERF of course they defend sex pests” is dumb but defending a TERF is worse so I wouldn’t bother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I mean has gaiman been accused of rape or sexual assault?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Pirate Jet posted:

I don’t deny that Taylor Swift is probably puppeteered to hell and back, every pop star is, but a lot of the complaints about her having too many breakups just came across as a sexist meme to me. What, a woman in her 20s not having settled down yet? Shock, gasp.

Unpopular opinion but many would go “why are we singling our Taylor?? Sexist!!”

But like she’s one of the biggest acts on the planet male or female

And she was dating men that were also hugely famous too

Then in a pop world where you don’t want people to just buy your songs they want to buy you as a person, as a brand, which Taylor does quite well with her fans thinking they have this great insight to her life and her house and cats and mum being all part of her story- she writes songs sometimes with the famous ex in the title!

Of course people are going to comment. That is why your song is popular!!!

Dates John Mayer
Breaks up with John Mayer
Leaks to tabloids lots of goss on relationship but never says anything “officially”
Writes song called “dear john” about a breakup with many of the same traits as the leaked information
“Oh I don’t talk about inspiration for my songs”

She wants to have her cake and eat it too. Sure there are some sexist idiots but I don’t think it’s crazy to wonder about if the most manicured and controlled pop star image conscious woman in music right now had thoughts about her heavily publicised love life that she famously wrote hit singles about.

Also her biggest early song you belong with me is a slut shaming anthem soooo

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Vagabundo posted:

When there's one accusation, others always come floating back up to the surface.

If he did it once, he definitely did it on other occasions, and I'm pretty sure that the original accuser probably isn't even his first victim.

Can we please just focus on the facts?

This has not happened with every accusation. It feeds directly into the “witch hunt” mindset when we just make poo poo up.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Vagabundo posted:

Basically the point I was trying to make, which somehow some chose to interpret as me rubbing one out to rape fantasies. Like, how?

Pardon loving me for being pretty sure that there'll be more, like often seems the case.

I never said you were doing that

I’m just saying it harms the cause to just randomly throw it out there

I agree many times it’s worse than the initial reports! But in some it isn’t. Also it doesn’t matter! One rape is bad enough! We can still feel bad about enjoying baby driver all over again without going “surely he is a serial rapist”

I mean it’s not the biggest deal but throwing out imaginary information is a bad thing online with many news items these days and it’s led to some own goals that have made proper reporting and discussion look bad.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

pentyne posted:

This is so aggressively refuted by Bieber it's almost like its a false flag operation set up to give him cover for any real assaults by pointing back and going "we'd already did this once, all the other women are liars we don't feel the need to prove it again"

I mean I don’t want to be a broken record but can we please please please just stick to the facts here

Believe women doesn’t mean “and when a man denies it with airtight evidence I invent a fantasyland conspiracy theory where Bieber false flag #metoos himself”

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

King Vidiot posted:

I think there's just been a gradual shift towards people believing the women in abuse stories, as they should in most cases. This just happened to be one case where the abuser was a woman and she was trying to deflect all the blame for the abuse onto her partner. To what end, I don't know.

I mean with celebrities we have had recent cases with the darth maul guy yesterday, Bieber, Depp, Biden accused by Eva mury when she was 14 but he wasn’t even there, Tara reade which regardless of what side you’re on definitely has a lot of question marks raised about it, Smollett... I mean it sucks as it legitimately falls right into the right wing trap of “but these cases!!” But... these cases? I mean I think it’s fair to believe women but also with celebrities ensure we let some basic info filter through.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

AceOfFlames posted:

I think it's a little of Column A, a little of Column B. People were definitely tired of Depp, (and Rowling being his only supporter didn't help) but there's still a huge reluctance to admit that women can be abusers too. Case in point: is it just me or did the Asia Argento allegations just fizzle out?

At the time no one was accusing heard of beating Depp. Women being abusers had nothing to do with the fact that we all jumped on board the blame train. Any time on other forums and probably? This one people posted about Depp in a good light or said he shouldnt lose his role in Harry Potter people would trot out the believe women line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Yeah I think it’s fair to call out “than that broads too fuckable to cheat on am I right fellas!?”