Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe I wasn't giving the story enough gravity but I'm inherently bothered by so many different aspects of it and I hate the world we find ourselves in, really.

To clarify some, I hadn't read the full story, just excerpts (though almost all from Anti-Aziz perspectives) and reading the story, he really did behave in a beyond gross manner. That said, as that editorial pointed out, it's a different category of problem, unfortunately more common. And in trying to parse whether Aziz is a rapist hypocrite or something else, the nature of the story as presented puts him in a really bad light but it's also not entirely out of the realm of possibility that it was just miscommunication. Admittedly the chances are slim and he'd have to be really thick to not pick up her signals if it went down how she characterized (which I believe) but sometimes people are thick. And I guess part of me feels like those should be addressed somewhat differently than the Weinstein and Spaceys of the world (which should probably carry literal jail time) but they'll forever be conflated and I kinda have mixed feelings about that.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

i am the bird posted:

If we trust Grace, we can’t say it was miscommunication. Yes means yes.

Miseducation, maybe. Some writers have argued that this is indicative of a knowledge gap where a lot of people are still operating on an older model of “no means no” (although this is hard to stomach here because Grace’s account indicates that she rebuffed him several times). But, Lindy West has a pretty good rebuttal in the NYT today, I think, where she outlines that “yes means yes” is neither new nor radical.

I think the key takeaway from all of this, though, is that Aziz is just the current face of this particular discussion; the overwhelming reaction is less about him specifically and more about the troubling fact that a lot of people think this unhealthy interaction is normal.

Well yes I guess miseducation is a better word but there is more nuance to this than out and out rape, which yes speaks more to how hosed up society is than the okay-ness of the behavior but that nuance also means, IMHO, that it's absolutely part of the same conversation and needs to be addressed but is not literally the same thing.

This is an extremely flawed analogy but I have a difficult time coming up with something better right now, it's a bit like the sex offender registry. If you're on there it means you made at least one really dumb or bad decision but that doesn't mean everyone on there is a child molester.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You pretty much nailed how I'd characterize it too but I'm a dude who's never been there so grain of salt I guess. Mind if I PM you about something sorta related to this discussion that I'm curious to know your perspective on, esperterra? I don't wanna derail the thread too much. :shobon:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

For sure! I'm about to step away to do some chores but I'll get back to you later.

Thanks a bunch!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

Such a bad move. It damages the credibility of a story that I think should be getting discussed, whether that's as part of the #MeToo movement or of a broader conversation people need to be having about sex.

e: granted this is a woman whose stories on babe.net include several articles that seem to consist of learning about how to scam money out of men online by blueballing them, so i'm not surprised

Sent a PM your way as discussed, just in case you don't get email notifications. :)

But yeah that's... Eeesh. And I don't at all mind saying that I find other articles like those cringe-worthy as gently caress and while it doesn't eliminate the value of Grace's story, it's still gross.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Here's the writer's full response.

The full statement makes it a lot more understandable with regards to where the cattiness originates but that is still atrocious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fart City posted:

CNN article that goes more into Babe itself. It’s only been around for two years, is based in Brooklyn, and it was the magazine who tracked down “Grace,” not the other way around. I believe Grace (in that an encounter happened that made her feel uncomfortable and perhaps violated), but between the previous low profile of the site, and the lovely email detailed above, it’s feeling more and more like the vector in which her story was spread has some questionable integrity, and perhaps did a disservice to legitimizing her pain to the public at large.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/15/media/aziz-ansari-babe-editor-interview/index.html

That is really loving shady.