Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The problem with making social justice into a hashtag sensation is that it has the same lifespan as any other media fad, and before you know it you're trying to push what was so two weeks ago, everyone's found something new and trendy to be mad about now.

It's almost like you actually need to totally restructure American society into something completely new and different that doesn't place white men at the highest position of power. You know, instead of just hoping things will get better if you shame enough gross white male perverts or call people racists enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Rich white men, let's not forget. Ignoring the entire class dimension of inequality is kind of what allows capitalism to completely co-opt and effectively neuter social justice in the first place, leaving it a hollowed-out shell suited only for marketing departments and predatory bullies as the ideas of capitalism and solidarity are utterly opposed.

Well, they're white and male specifically because rich people need a uniform face to present to racist underclass white people to say "See? You and me, we're not so different and if you keep the women and minorities down then someday you too will be as rich and powerful as me!". Whiteness (which is entirely made up) and maleness (also made up) are the root cause of the problem, they're what's keeping the rich capitalists in power. Like, you can't ignore class sure, but you also can't ignore race and gender. The underclass are divided along totally made-up lines that are meaningless.

graventy posted:

Yeah, that's basically it. You were great at comedy, but you abused the hell out of your power for sexual purposes. Find a new career!

At this point, Louis CK could probably just do nothing for the rest of his life because he's rich. If he still needs to make humorous observations about the world, I dunno, he can start a loving blog or something like the rest of us.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

All unequal positions of social power contribute to the potential for abuse, as does a culture of zero sum competition where any gain has to come at someone else's expense. These traits are probably not innately male (and certainly not to the extent to which we actually practice them) and they absolutely aren't innately white; they are to a great extent white people's and men's responsibility to combat because we are presently the main carriers and beneficiaries of those circumstances, but that's not quite the same thing.

That's not quite what I was saying, I'm saying that (predominantly-if-not-entirely white male) imperialists at some point in history said "I need the lower-class whites to protect my status, so I'm going to invent this concept of white people being superior to black people, and men being superior to women". Then people bought it, and ever since then there have been forward-thinking progressive people trying to tear that down.

Yes, there is nothing inherently wrong with white people that makes them oppressors, I agree, but what I'm saying is that white people were told to be racist specifically to divide the lower classes and pit them against each other.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Another thing it isn't at all is surprising. Who'd have thunk a rich man could just have his lawyers indefinitely buy him out of facing any legal repercussions for his actions?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

It's like, I can see his point but then you break down all of his other tweets and it turns into "White men who commit the same crimes get to walk free, therefore let the rapist go!".

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Tariq is the personification of horseshoe theory.

Not really, though. That kind of person isn't a leftist, not by a long shot. They're a far-right authoritarian and sexist "race realist", and would gladly see white people and black women in chains if they were in power.

They're Black Nationalists, and that's the opposite of leftism.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Fart City posted:

Good point. Closure allows for compartmentalization and reflection. With people like Polanski, who continue to go unpunished, their crimes are still effectively in progress. That makes it far harder to be objective about purchasing or even renting access to their work, as in some degree it contributes to the perpetuation of that crime.

For me it's not even about punishment, Roman Polanski really doesn't believe he did anything "wrong". If he made a mistake and admitted as much, admitted he'd done wrong, I'd still think he's a piece of poo poo rapist but at least he'd be a little more human. To taunt reporters, insult the judge or whatever ("They're just jealous"), and then flee to a country without extradition just makes him into an irredeemable fuckhead.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

That Louis CK is a real class act, giving you free food and beer just by appearing in public as a giant creeper making rape jokes.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I guess that's "potential money an hour" but also it's an exaggeration whatever way you slice it. But regardless, how loving out of touch do you need to be to toss out a "MY PRECIOUS MILLIONS" statement as a sexual assaulting white male in The Year 2018?

I truly feel for Strokey McGingerdick and his poor millions he lost last year. A true hero.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I think the just thing would be to roll back his current net worth to whatever he had at the time that he exposed himself. Then whatever he has left, a large portion of that would go to the victims. Leave him with like, a $50,000 home in a tiny nowhere town and $3000 in savings, and just say "good luck rear end in a top hat". Make him flip burgers for the rest of his life like the rest of us.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I should run for congress on the "Good Luck, rear end in a top hat" platform. :911:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Pretty funny, but I expected the irony was going to be Louis CK saying "Bradley Cooper looks like the kinda guy who exposes himself to young girls".

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

It's not loving hard. "Hysterical" if it's used to mean "really funny" is fine. "Hysterical" if used specifically to tell a woman to calm down is not fine.

I mean, how would movie reviewers describe a funny kids' movie about dinosaurs if they couldn't use the pun "prehysterical"?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

I agree with this completely. Context matters.

Except the very loving post you quoted when you said that was using "hysterical" to mean "funny".

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

"If somebody says that you hurt them... you don't get to decide that you didn't." ... I guess that quote only applies if women hurt Louis C.K.'s precious manfeelings.

Like, Louis C.K. could almost be forgiven if he appeared to give a single poo poo about the fact that he made women feel scared and vulnerable and creeped out, but he doesn't seem to.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Anonymous John posted:

I loved La Vie D'Adele, particularly for it's sex scenes and nudity, but loving hell, this indeed isn't that surprising given that the director claimed to have shot an additional 10 hours of unused footage of the actresses going at it for his personal fap collection.

quote:

Kechiche took home the Palme d'Or in 2013 for Blue Is the Warmest Color, a prize he shared with actresses Lea Seydoux and Adele Exarchopoulos, though the two later criticized the director for his harsh working conditions.

"Harsh working conditions" okay... holy poo poo the implications there.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Well no, it was "he manipulated me into sex while also manipulating a ton of other women, some of whom I worked with, into sex the exact same way at the same time". She also seemed to insinuate it was like, really nasty or degrading sex or something?

Basically he's a piece-of-poo poo PUA and apparently a misogynist who liked to pick on and use successful woman because that got him off. Because of some sick power-trip thing.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The YouTube algorithm is defining the indoctrination strategy and enabling it, yes. This problem is as old as social media and is only just now being grappled with seriously in the public, even though observers of various stripes have been saying that the Internet is loving up the public discourse with its democratization of hucksterism, white supremacy, and general psychosis for years and years. The Internet, after all, makes you stupid.

It's not "the internet", it's capitalism. Any time there's a problem in culture, you can follow a long (or short) thread right back to capitalism every loving time. You get recommendations on YouTube for MRA guys or for edgy "anti-PC" comedians like Bill Burr because they're popular and popularity equals advertising equals money for YouTube. It's why Nazis aren't run out on the rails on tumblr or whatever, they're easy to advertise to. Money is all that matters to tech companies, they don't give a single poo poo about toxic politics doing real damage to impressionable young men and the people those young men hurt in-turn.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I mean I think their biggest problem is just the White Guy Problem of "the stuff that people are upset about doesn't affect me so I don't see it as a problem, I just want poo poo to stay the same". And that kind of poo poo gets worse the older the white guy gets, because then they're also even more out of touch since they're no longer part of the generation trying to deal with the big problems. They're the creators of the problems the young generation's trying to solve.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Yes, he is super rich.

I mean America is a country which has rewarded sociopathic behavior since forever, it's no surprise that its most successful people turn out to be sociopaths. And I'm not talking like modest success, the top-of-the-top of the success ladder are sociopaths.

Or I'll put it this way, they're either born sociopaths or they're just regular people who've erased all traces of their humanity in order to get ahead. But if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The initial premise of Seinfeld was that he's a neurotic shithead and a bad comedian.

Oh, so he's a method actor! *laugh track, bass line plays to commercial*

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Wasn't it Family Guy who did the Bill Cosby version of "Baby It's Cold Outside"? It seems like this whole thing against that song started around the time that gag came out and spread around the internet.

But thinking that song is "promoting rape culture" is like trying to ban an old 1930's song with the word "gay" in it because you think it's homophobic, or banning that one old Batman comic because the word "boner" is phallocentric.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

And yet nobody mentions the "old slut on junk" line.

I mean, I totally understand changing or omitting that part but I remember the first time I heard that song and what a shock to the system that part was. And that was the intended effect, it was like tossing a grenade into the middle of a romantic dinner scene. You get hit with "slut" and "human being" right after a couple reminisces about their first Christmas and it's really sweet and saccharine, and then it ends with the bitter couple still together despite the fighting and regrets. Like I kind of feel it needs that punch where you're shocked with these awful slurs before the downbeat final verse.

But whatever, don't play it on the radio or change it or whatever, the original's still around. It's better to not have a hurtful slur popping up to remind marginalized people of the pain of being marginalized.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

As evidenced by his scripts, Joss Whedon's brain just can't stop his hands from typing the most horrible garbage imaginable.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

"Today is the first day of the rest of your life. That's true of every day except for one, the day you die."

*pulls out a snub-nosed, commits a Bud Dwyer on Twitter*

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

They don't give a gently caress. Whiteness is an honorary status white supremacists bestow on anyone, even black people, who agree with their cultural aims. It works the same way in reverse; they rescind whiteness and heterosexuality from anyone who disagrees with them, accusing them of being crypto-Jews and trans without any evidence.

Louis CK is the dupe, not the audience.

Well yeah, they do that because "whiteness" is a total fabrication that was invented by the proto-white nationalists. It's a tool of oppression and is otherwise totally meaningless.

As for Louis CK, I'm pretty firmly now in the camp of "this is a guy who's always been an rear end in a top hat pretending to be a progressive guy pretending to be an rear end in a top hat". Maybe there's a slim chance he's trying to pivot to an Andy Kaufman thing where he's playing his cards close to his chest and doubling down on his "lovely clueless angry white guy" image, maybe "Louis CK" is a character akin to Tony Clifton or whatever, but I have my doubts now.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

I've either missed it or completely forgotten it. I don't doubt it at all, though.

The only thing I can think of is when he said George Michael (pre-being outed) was a "huge girl" and that any women that found him attractive were lesbians. It wasn't a bit on any of his albums, I only knew about it from a book with transcripts of a ton of his gigs.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Criminal Minded posted:

Somebody earlier was saying they wanted to believe the best in Alex Winter:

https://twitter.com/winter/status/1084190019743637505?s=21

Alex Winter: Confirmed Cool Dude

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I mean, if he did go to Australia there's a non-zero chance that one of the dozens of animals that regularly poison and murder people there would get him. Maybe a funnel web spider would bite him on the dick in his hotel bathroom.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

he somehow pivoted from Bernie supporter in 2016 to #StillWithHer last I checked

Given this bit of information, I think a picture is starting to form as to why he's wishy-washy about certain things like the TERF banlist and his friend Chris Hardwick. I think Wil Wheaton is the sort of guy who's terrified of saying or doing the wrong thing so on certain issues he just chooses to say or do nothing in hopes that that's good enough. But of course as we know, not taking a stance is in itself a stance for the status quo.

Anybody who shifted to Hillary post-2016 is probably afraid of being called a Bernie Bro, which is pretty loving weak. "Oh no, don't think I'm not a feminist please!"

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

And the thing is in the BEST case scenario Jackson was getting naked with kids and sleeping in beds with them and giving them booze and telling them all how much he loved them but all in an apparently non-sexual way. That's the BEST case scenario. And like, that's abuse too. Maybe its not sexual abuse. I don't know. Maybe it doesn't make him a pedophile. I don't know. Maybe the dude was just so broken and messed up he couldn't tell the difference and had as much interest in sex as those kids did. I don't know. But its still loving wrong and damaging and dangerous and someone should have stopped him and he probably should have been somewhere far away from children.

So there's no happy story there any way you cut it. However this stuff plays out Jackson's legacy is always going to be shadowed by this stuff.

This is how I feel about it. Some poo poo definitely went down, the only question is how bad it really was. And that we'll definitely never know for certain, but I still want to watch these new interviews so that maybe I can finally make up my own mind. Because it's really, really hard to fake the kind of trauma that that sort of molestation would put somebody through. I felt sick watching the Christine Blasey Ford testimony, you could tell she went through some poo poo and it was real. I mean... maybe somebody out there could fake trauma, or maybe somebody who really went through it would be some numb they wouldn't show it, but I think watching the interviews would make it a little more clear than just hearing the accusations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Nm

Emma Thompson != Emma Watson

Same, and to throw in further confusion: Emma Thompson != Emma Watson !=Emily Watson

Because I literally read that article and in my head I was picturing Emily Watson.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah if we’re gonna chat about famous current rappers who need a talk lets bump Drake up ahead of Kanye.

Drake is going to continue to get away with his creepy, predatory behavior for as long as he's smart enough to never do anything illegal or actually commit outright assault. If he only has consensual, legal-age sex and never gropes anybody who'd go to the authorities or the press then he'll just keep on being a creepy child predator.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I think the laws should be such that a high school senior isn't a registered sex offender for life because they had consensual sex with a high school junior, but after age, like 20ish the other person needs to be 18.

I think I'd maybe take it a little farther and say they need to at least be old enough to drink if you're over 25. Being in your late-20's or early-30's (or... older) and having to plan a date around where you can't legally take your date is pretty skeevy.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I haven't seen the doc, but this is actually a good point. I believed the Christine Blasey Ford testimony because she was doing it live, unedited and had everything to lose by coming forward and speaking out against a powerful man in a room full of powerful men. An edited documentary is a different beast altogether, I mean I'm not saying these men are lying but... it wouldn't be hard to do retakes and edits to push the narrative the director wants to push.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

And again back to the "not 100% certain" bullshit. How long can R Kelly keep getting away with raping underage girls?

"Well I'm 99.8% certain it's him because nobody else on Earth looks like R Kelly or has his bone structure and physical build plus distinct haircut, but it's a little grainy because it's on VHS soooo... I 'UNNO."

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I mean that sounds less like a porno set and more like "we literally view the help as less than human and don't give a poo poo if we make them uncomfortable with our public displays of excess and depravity". That combined with the fact that they're getting blowjobs from people who feel obligated to blow them because of a huge power imbalance.

Okay, so that last part sounded a lot like a porno set. Still.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

an hour later

JAMES GUNN FIRED WHEN OFFENSIVE TWEETS RESURFACE

How do these tweets keep popping up over an over oh god help I'm not good with computers! I just closed one and there's another, and another!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Does that mean that, like, whenever she bought stuff it'd go to the company and then somehow make it into her own pocket when the company pays her, the landowner, the rent for the mall space?

gently caress the rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I mean I can't talk much, if I had tons of money I'd probably buy out a dead mall and get it fixed-up and renovated, and then just fill it with early-90's stuff and turn it into a private Mall Museum.