Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The 'blood babe with the silicone chest, 200-dollar haircut, and a closet full of the latest fashions.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

it's a bit more complex than that. France doesn't extradite to the US, period, because they're not okay with the US having the death penalty. Polanski's charges are in the US, so their response to the idea of extraditing him has been "gently caress no, abolish the death penalty you assholes."

like, they're not actively trying to defend pedophiles, they're trying to fight the death penalty, and it turns out the one card in their hand is a pedophile. if we got rid of it on a federal level, Polanski would likely be standing trial in the US within days.

It's a much more arduous process than a lot of other places, but France does have an extradition treaty with us. What they won't do is extradite a French citizen, and Polanski is one of those. Death penalty shouldn't enter into it since it's not a capital case.

Also, people in general seem more sympathetic to Polanski because of his personal history as a concentration camp survivor then losing Sharon Tate and their unborn child the way they did. My dad has refused to watch Woody Allen films for decades now, but Chinatown is one of his favorite movies of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The 'blood babe with the silicone chest, 200-dollar haircut, and a closet full of the latest fashions.

https://twitter.com/annevclark/status/1054465317836087297

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Actually reading the article, it's from a Howard Stern interview, and he's got a way of just dragging poo poo out of people, so I very much doubt this was a calculated move on Silverman's part. The interviews tend to be 30 minutes to an hour and a half and if you listen to any of them you will here stuff that you know the person being interviewed didn't plan on talking about.

It doesn't make it better, but I doubt it's a conspiracy to rehabilitate Louis CK. If he wants to rehabilitate himself he should do a special and donate every single penny of it to RAINN or something.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I need to listen to the full interview, Howard Stern doesn't do 5 minute PR approved fluff pieces. Again it's not good, it shouldn't absolve CK of anything and it sucks if people will use it as an excuse to absolve him, but I don't want to tar Silverman with that brush as well.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Fart City posted:

I mean

Kevin Spacey, definitely.

That's a really bad joke, it's also almost certainly true, but still in poor taste.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

My understanding was that the movie was like 90% done and that Singer came back to do the edit. If, and that's a big If, Fox were ever pressed on it then they would claim that Dexter Fletcher just did minor shots, much like WB claimed with JUSTICE LEAGUE and Whedon.

Plus, don't most movies have secondary shooting units with other people directing the action, like even if Snyder hadn't left the film, there'd be chunks of it shot where he wasn't on set?

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Noting that these are different movies, by "Selma'd" I mean there is a large media pushback on the historical narrative being presented in the film. In Selma's case it was probably tantamount to a conspiracy to keep it out of the Oscar race, while Bohemian Rhapsody has essentially been accused of being Freddy Mercury fanfic.

That's loving rich coming from the organization that gave Best Picture to Amadeus and Braveheart.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Amadeus is so good that it should be actual history.

I'm not saying it didn't deserve an Oscar or 8, I'm just saying if you're going to start dismissing films from consideration because of factual inaccuracies you are opening a loving Pandora's box.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

I remember the story of the Weinsteins spreading stories that SPR was really inaccurate in order to get Shakespeare in love to win.

That's an amazing amount of politicking. It's like subway bitching about how much a quarter pounder with cheese weighs.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Good long piece about Terry Crews and when he was assaulted.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/amp24526058/terry-crews-interview-masculinity-2018/?__twitter_impression=true

Edit:

Can we not link Daily Mail accusations until a news source that doesn't constantly lie corraborates the story . I'm not saying those stories are necessarily false, but they've published a lot of untrue stories about celebrities in the past, not just about sexual assault, but standard gossip stuff too.

Skwirl fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 1, 2018

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's probably been a very long time since he's been heckled. Before the whole masturbation thing he was selling out concert halls, no one is going to pay what it costs to be within earshot of him just to try and ruin his set, and for this comeback tour, so far it's probably mostly been people too shocked to see him to be able to heckle. I hope this story goes viral and inspires a slew of copycats.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

enki42 posted:

The surprise performance thing is apparently a common deal in comedy for bigger names and isn't at all exclusive to Louis CK.

That being said, the reason that comedians like doing these performances is so you get a reaction from real people who aren't necessarily fans rather than the reaction of people who paid $100 for a ticket, and "people are super pissed at you for whipping your dick out in front of your colleagues" seems like valuable feedback that he should take into consideration.

There's a slight difference between Bill Burr or Kevin Hart testing some new material before going on tour and someone who has been publicly ostracised for sexual abuse trying to make a comeback.

If I was at some random during open mike night and someone like Billie Joe Armstrong came out to do an unannounced acoustic set I'd be excited even though I don't like Green Day that much. If Gary Glitter did the same thing I'd be pretty loving upset with the venue.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The worst part is, she's probably right.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1072210456847237120

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

and the occasional ContraPoints video.

Probably that, doesn't she talk about him, and there's probably a bunch of alt-right videos dissing on her.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

loving hell. In the minds of these awful loving people, it's worth more to boot her off the show and pay her for four seasons of work she doesn't have to do than say 'hey, cool it with the rape jokes' to the male lead.

Absolutely amazing.

I think someone did something more to her, the show was only in its second season when this went down.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Is Bill Burr the F is for Family guy or is that Jim Jeffries? I get them mixed up a lot, but whichever dude does that show is alright by me, because that show makes it clear that whichever dude it is, is more of a "generally on our side but rough around the edges" type than a full-on enemy.

Bill Burr is the F is for Family dude.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Timby posted:

I think I've told this story before, but I used to be the director of marketing at a downtown hotel here in Madison. We tended to provide the lodging for performers at the Overture Center for the Arts, which is a block away from the hotel, and as a result I wound up meeting a lot of cool people (Yo-Yo Ma is the sweetest guy ever, as was Adam Savage). Anyway, Seinfeld was doing a show at Overture, and I happened to have pulled the manager-on-duty shift the night he checked in; MOD basically means you work an eight-hour shift until the night auditor shows up and you're in charge of the place during that time. He had an entourage of a half-dozen people, treated the front desk and restaurant staff like poo poo (didn't even tip on what wound up being a nearly $100 dinner bill), and when one of his bags fell off the bell cart, he shrieked, "Oh, no, the jewels!" and then looked around, waiting for someone to laugh.

Basically everyone breathed a sigh of relief when he checked out the morning after his show.

The no tipping thing is funny because there's several points in his getting coffee in cars show where they go out of there way to imply he's an excellent tipper.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

There is a pretty massive difference between a network canceling your show and choosing to stop when it's one of the most successful shows currently airing, so I get why Seinfeld was a bit annoyed. He's a massive dick for other reasons, but thats not one of them.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Larry King sucks and Seinfeld was in the right there. You have one job, you’re the most famous person to have ever done that job, you’re interviewing one of the biggest celebrities of all time, take like the most cursory amount of time necessary to get your goddam facts straight lol.

No wonder Joe Rogan is absolutely bodying Larry King in terms of interviewer influence.

Why the gently caress do you keep stanning for Joe Rogan? I know I just trashed one specific question by Larry King, but he was far more influential than Joe Rogan ever will be, loving Marc Maron is more influential than Rogan.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah that’s not what YouTube and Apple say but whatever. Joe Rogan has more downloads and streams that Marc Maron and Larry King’s combined total estimated viewership (Marc Maron is a fine person and funny but he is really not a big deal at all). I’m sorry you don’t like him, but he is the most far reaching interviewer in the history of Earth, LoL

Larry King's heyday was in the 90s, that's like saying Jordan Peterson is a more influential philosopher than Karl Marx because of YouTube viewership.

As for Marc Maron, when's the last time a sitting US President was on Rogan's show?

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

enki42 posted:

speaking of Christmas songs with some lyrics that have aged badly...

That's just one line, Jimmy Fallon just did a duet of it with Saoirse Ronan and just dropped the line, didn't hurt the song much.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

"Only the gays have wet dreams, Catholic men don't have things like that."

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Even if I was an amoral corporate executive who regularly sexually harassed my own staff I'd be pissed at the showrunner for firing her without checking with corporate first.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

enki42 posted:

For sure. It's a shame that there aren't good alternate versions that work. Someone mentioned the Jimmy Fallon / Saiorise Ronan one where they just omitted that whole verse, which is the same thing the Bill Murray Christmas special version did, but the song loses a LOT if you don't have the juxtaposition of them being young and carefree in the first verse and worn down and embittered in the second.

It still has her laying into him for crushing her dreams.

Here's a link. I didn't know Jimmy Fallon could sing.
https://youtu.be/eeOVR09ohSU

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Holy poo poo]

quote:

“We wanted to investigate how does someone like Harvey Weinstein gets away with doing what…get away with criminality, essentially. And the network that surrounds him. We decided that Gio would interview a concierge in Las Vegas,” Baron Cohen describes.

During the interview, believing the admission would drive the concierge from the room, Baron Cohen, as Gio, reveals that he’s molested an eight-year-old boy.

“This guy starts advising Gio how to get rid of this issue. We even at one point talk about murdering the boy, and the concierge is just saying, ‘well, listen, I’m really sorry. In this country, we can’t just drown the boy. This is America we don’t do that,’” Baron Cohen describes.

After the concierge offers to put Gio in touch with a lawyer who can help “silence the boy,” Baron Cohen asked for his help securing a date for the night.

“He says, ‘what do you mean, a date?’ I go, you know, like a young man. He says, ‘well, what kind of age?’ I say, lower than Bar Mitzvah but older than eight. And he says, ‘yeah, I can put you in touch with somebody who can get you some boys like that.’”

...Rather than airing the segment, Baron Cohen and his production team turned the footage over to the FBI, “because we thought, perhaps there’s a pedophile ring in Las Vegas that’s operating for these very wealthy men. And this concierge had said that he’d worked for politicians and various billionaires.”

...According to Baron Cohen, the FBI decided against pursuing the tip.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Keep in mind, the only reason Dushku and her lawyers (and by extension us) know that tape exists is CBS's lawyers showed it to them because it also shows Dushku cussing and they thought that exculpated them.

You don't have people like Weatherly and Caron getting to their levels of success without executives who also actively participate in that sort of cultural misogyny.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sucrose posted:

The whole thing is likely some bizarre attempt at deflection on Spacey’s part. Try and get everyone talking about that creepy-rear end video rather than the news of the felony sexual assault charge against him. It’s so transparent though, that I don’t think it’s gonna work.

Maybe he's trying to poison the jury pool so only complete shut-ins will be able to serve?

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Age gaps matter less and less the older the younger person is. A 23 year old dating a 17 year old is sleazy as he'll even if they live somewhere where it's legal, a 23 year old dating a 29 year old wouldn't make people blink.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zogo posted:

Matt Lauer ‘not doing well’ one year after ‘Today’ firing
https://pagesix.com/2018/11/29/matt-lauer-not-doing-well-one-year-after-today-firing/

Boo loving hoo.

quote:

Lauer has been focusing his attention on his kids, Jack, 17, Romy, 14, and Thijs, 11. He and estranged wife Annette Roque continue to live together at their 12-bedroom manse in the Hamptons as they work to finalize their divorce.
They added, “All he wants is to be involved in his kids’ lives. He spends his days doing as much kids stuff as he can.”

I feel kinda bad for the kids. Imagine finding out your dad was a monster, and all of a sudden he's trying to spend all his time with you. Of course it's probably a lot easier to avoid him in a 12 bedroom manse.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Andy Richter ain't having this bullshit.

https://twitter.com/AndyRichter/status/1079649964727328768?s=19

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

did u guys know Tucker Max ghostwrote Tiffany Haddish's memoir? just wanted to throw that fact out there cuz if you asked me what tucker max was doin recently, that would not have been my guess

That makes a certain kind of sense, his writing style is very conversational, so it'd be a good fit for celebrity memoirs. Tiffany Haddish specifically wouldn't be my first guess for a which one though (I would have guessed one of the lesser Baldwins or Wahlbergs).

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Davros1 posted:

The old Greenlight thread that contained his reactions about his movie bombing was one of my favorite things.

That film will be 10 years old next year. Was he right? Does everyone have a copy of that film in their collections? Are we all endlessly quoting it?
I don't remember that, someone with archives dig it up. I do remember the stuff from before its release, bragging about how it was going to be bigger than The Hangover (highest grossing R rated film ever at the time).

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I thought the Tig Notaro cutting ties stuff was more about him stealing her bits.

Serio? Jesus. He's claimed on Opie and Anthony that Dennis Leary stole the basics for his rear end in a top hat song from CK.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/MattTheGweat/status/1079979750045696001?s=19

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm very distraught to find out there's drug use back stage at SNL. Thank God Belushi and Farley didn't live to see this shocking development in what I assume was a completely wholesome environment during their tenures.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

The problem is that you're conflating fame and fortune with power.

Twenty years ago, Louis CK was a director who had a film shown at Sundance and a successful stand-up comedian who was close friends with Chris Rock.He definitely had a lot of power in the circles he traveled in.

Also Conan O'Brien, Dana Carvey, a bunch of important comedians. He might not have been able to get you a comedy writing job, but he could definitely introduce you to someone who could.

Skwirl fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 13, 2019

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Considering Australia used to be a giant prison its probably the only place he should tour.

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's not the Oscars, but it is a pretty big award.

https://twitter.com/PattyArquette/status/1093338849512701952?s=19

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I was worried when he was trying to get custody of Michael's kids. After how Michael turned out there's no way he should be in charge of any other kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skwirl
May 13, 2007

One reason people are (or at least I am) willing to treat MJs case with more nuance than, say, Brian Singer, is Singer is still working, getting high profile gigs. Michael Jackson isn't exactly touring anymore.