Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

While I respect how difficult it is for an accuser to come forward and face public scrutiny, I feel like a single anonymous story published on an account for which that story is the only activity is not a great basis to judge someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It features lots of verifiable information so it should be relatively easy to either prove or disprove.

Right. For example, it says Gal Gadot was 19 when it happened, which seems to conflict with her serving in the IDF from when she was 18 to 20.

Now maybe there's an explanation for what's going on with that, but I'd like to see some actual reporting on it before taking the article as the truth.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Lucania posted:

She did the pageant stuff right after graduating at age 18 and that was followed by modeling for at least half a year. It was after that that she was in the IDF. She was 21 when she served in the 2006 Lebanon War.

Ah, okay. I was going by Wikipedia, which says 18-20, but could easily be wrong.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Vegetable posted:

There have been articles about how liberals got it wrong with Bill Clinton. I think it's going to be the same thing here. Political exigency is going to win the day.

It won't be quite the same thing here, because Bill Clinton straight-up raped people. But, yeah, I don't see Franken going anywhere.

edit: I want to be clear I'm not defending Franken. What he did was hosed up.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 16, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

The Lauer investigation had some really creepy reveals, like how he had a goddamn supervillain button on his desk that let him lock the door to his office without getting up. Thus making sure women couldn't escape.

Other way around, I think. He could lock the door so that no one could walk in.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

That car stunt sounds reckless for Tarantino to have pushed Uma Thurman into doing, in a way you hear about a number of directors being irresponsible and bullying about dangerous stunts. And it makes sense to lambast him for that, or for there to be legal consequences.

But I'm not sure I buy the implication that he was purposefully trying to kill her to cover up for Harvey Weinstein's sexual abuse.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

But Dowd, in between her godawful prose, tries to draw a line from the incident with Weinstein and then quickly to her falling out with Tarantino as though she wants the reader to infer something she can't come out and say.

Yeah, the article either shouldn't have tried to draw that thread, or it should have let Uma Thurman do so in her own words. One does not need to "spice up" a story that's already about rape, cinema, and a near-death car accident. Dowd's been at this forty years, and she manages to make that babe.com writer look good.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Fart City posted:

Welp. That's me tapping the gently caress out on Tarantino. That is completely indefensible.

Look, in Europe they have different morals for defending sex offenders.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Do we know how Uma Thurman's story end up in an editorial? It seems like it's news and should have been written by an actual reporter. Maureen Dowd obviously did a bad job with it, but it also seems like it wasn't her job to do this sort of thing in the first place.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

trump is so loving dumb. he could just keep his yap shut instead of going to bat for a guy where we have physical evidence he beats women. it honestly owns what a moron he is.

Trump previously on physical evidence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc4FEttRrIc

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

If the first time a person sees your dick is their phone, then you will probably never have to show it to them in real life.

Eh, most people you send any image to with your phone won't see your dick in real life.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Fart City posted:

The thing about the unsolicited dick pic is like, what’s your end game there? I know for some the sheer act of exposure gives a sexual thrill, but I have never met someone who has been like, “oh hell yeah, lemme get up on that free street boner.”

It's a hosed-up thing to do, but like any number of other outrageous flirtations / sexual harassments, people do it a lot and it only needs to work every once in a while. And, of course, plenty of dipshits think that just because they love their dick, everyone else will too.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Honestly, anything that absurdly common is going to have multiple different motivations.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

Tarantino is also rumored to be trying to involve Polanski in some capacity :lol:

I thought this turned out to just be casting someone as Polanski, given his tangential involvement in the Manson murders.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I’m pretty sure having your wife and unborn child murdered makes you a little more than tangentially involved.

Yeah, okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

We wouldn't let someone who's been drugged, drunk, or mentally disabled do that because they're in an altered state of mind. What makes a chemical imbalance in their brain different?

I think, hope, the point being made is that we don't actually put a blanket ban on consent for people who use drugs, drink, have mental disabilities or mental illnesses, etc. Instead, there's a factual investigation as to consent based on the specific details of the relationship and events. That said, I wasn't reading "people suffering from mental illness can’t consent" as a blanket statement in any of your previous comments that Rodd is presumably responding to.

And man does the case you mentioned seem like one that needs some vigorous factual investigation by the courts. Sounds really hosed up.