Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Has this article with Tarantino defending Polanski been posted yet? Because it is extremely disturbing. From 2003 Howard Stern:

https://jezebel.com/heres-audio-of-quentin-tarantino-defending-roman-polans-1822745916

"Tarantino: No, that was not the case AT ALL. She wanted to have it and dated the guy and—

Quivers: She was 13!

Tarantino: And by the way, we’re talking about America’s morals, not talking about the morals in Europe and everything.

Stern: Wait a minute. If you have sex with a 13-year-old girl and you’re a grown man, you know that that’s wrong.

Quivers: ...giving her booze and pills...

Tarantino: Look, she was down with this."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segue
May 23, 2007

I recently started listening to a podcast called The Canon for semi-intellectual analysis of movies on my commute. I'd only listened to newer episodes with the permanent cohost Amy Nicholson and a rotating guest host and I found it a fun, nerdy dive into movies.

I recently downloaded some older episodes that had a different format with a second permanent male host and it was unlistenable. He was completely closed to his co-host's opinions, bulldozed over interesting arguments, was insulting and egotistical and came off incredibly abrasive with no capability of self-reflection.

Then I realized it was Devin Faraci who got brought up earlier in the thread. I am completely unsurprised that the dude got accused of not respecting other people's boundaries.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Emily Ratajkowski wrote a really depressing article about male entitlement and appropriation of her body and images of it.
https://www.thecut.com/article/emily-ratajkowski-owning-my-image-essay.html

It includes a graphic account of an assault by Johnathan Leder who says this while he's photographing her:

quote:

“iCarly,” Jonathan said, smirking as he shot. Only his mouth was visible, the rest of his face eclipsed by his camera. That was the name of the Nickelodeon show I’d been on for two episodes while in high school.

Also an artist who blows up Instagram photos and sells them for tens of thousands of dollars with puerile captions.

quote:

Prince’s comment on that post, included among several others at the bottom of the painting, alludes to an imagined day he has spent with me on the beach: “U told me the truth. U lost the [anchor emoji]. No hurt. No upset. All energy bunny now that it’s sunny,” it reads. I liked the comment he left on this one far better than his comment on the black-and-white study, where he asks, “Were you built in a science lab by teenage boys?”

Segue
May 23, 2007

I remember reading that unlike in a lot of other countries, the UK never really got an established intersectional third wave feminism. As a result, a lot of their institutional powers established by the ardently white upper/middle-class feminism never really got questioned.

This is obviously an issue in dealing with really any modern women's issues, but leaves those established powers particularly prickly because they've never really questioned gender essentialism or their ossified mores from decades ago.

So trans issues are just so far beyond their understanding it just breaks them. Note this is still a thing for racial and class and sex work and other issues, trans issues just are an especially confrontational understanding that undermines their ancient understanding of the world.