Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It felt like a response at odds to the one we'd see if it were a woman coming out against yet another male predator.

And if you look at that sentence you might notice that without thinking about it i said "woman" and then "male". People do that switch without being MRAs. But do please carry on attacking the victim in this story.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Aug 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Two hundred pages of examples of the sexual assault culture in the entertainment industry and the reasons popular and powerful people get away with it. And then as soon as a story comes out about a hugely prominent and popular woman in entertainment the victim is knee-jerk dismissed, and villainised on the thinnest of grounds.

Do you really not see why that is a problem? That maybe your own prejudices may need to be reflected on? Because some of you look like massive loving hypocrites right now. And enablers.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The complaint should be taken as seriously as the others, but it should also be borne in mind that Russian media loving loves stories about the Predatory Gay and the omni-present threat they represent to good honest people.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Steve Yun posted:

I dunno, I kind of find it amusing that Louis CK, who used to be so clever that he could navigate his way around using the n word and joking about child molesters and slavery jokes somehow suddenly turned Klutzy McGee Butterfingers when it come to navigating his own crisis and keeps reacting in the most crybaby ways as he gets hounded by these reports

I'd argue that he was was never that clever and it was just a guy saying transgressive things to make people laugh while they told themselves "it's ok, it's ironic."

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Rhyno posted:

That's a take now but prior to all this Louie was hailed as brilliant and a unique voice.

Not by me. I never understood why people fawned over him when there are comedians like Stewart Lee out there. You are right though that it wasn't a popular opinion.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I watch a channel that has nearly a million subs on Youtube and puts out videos every day. If they weren't also streaming on Twitch they'd have had to quit by now, Youtube pays so poorly for people whose audience is adults. As it is they've been forced after years of resistance to open a Patreon.
Hell, if they weren't also in the incredibly specific niche of being the people Mojang go to for Minecraft trailers they might have folded years ago.

One of the big name UK networks makes enough for the people involved to live, but their owner recently said the reason they're still bothering is the charity drive they do each December (they raise millions of dollars each year) in partnership with Humble etc.

Youtubers present a lifestyle persona to their audience because their audience expect their lives to be aspirational. Never make the mistake of thinking the majority of the 'successful' ones are on the gravy train. That's reserved for the crypto-fascist one-percenters like Pewdiepie.

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah but playing videogames in your room isn’t a real job so who cares

By all accounts it's actually incredibly stressful and can seriously harm the mental health of the person doing it. Between the effects of presenting an aspirational lifestyle on minimal income, and the burden of a para-social relationship with a fanbase.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 2, 2019

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Bust Rodd posted:

You’re still not describing a job, you’re describing a hobby that some people want to pretend is their only option for survival and treating them like their situation is anyone’s fault but their own is wild.

The STRESS comes from constantly applying themes of monetization to every aspect of your life, the desire to constantly be on and producing content, but the actual act of streaming, gaming, and editing footage itself isn’t anymore stressful than any other run of the mill desk job, except the hours shittier (which, again, is self-inflicted)

Another way of looking at it is that when you think of the payoff for a really stressful career, you think of like Lumberjacks or Neurosurgeons, people who make absolute craploads of money for the stressful thing they do all day.

A pro-youtuber not named Pewdiepie or Jake Paul might feel constant anxiety and stress at not being famous, marketable, sponsored, or even monetized, but the stress is not coming from the work, the stress is coming from the fact that the bubble has effectively already burst and “playing videogames on camera for children” isn’t a career.

You sound like an out of touch grandpa.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That's a photo the women asked him to pose for so you can't read anything into that.

The only stuff I've heard about Goldblum being 'handsy' has been that he's incredibly tactile with everyone around him, regardless of gender or setting which you can be without being a creep. Not to say he can't be a groper in addition to that.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Oct 17, 2019

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Timeless Appeal posted:

Does this really belong here?

I know there have been cases of very young adults being basically groomed in their teens... but lady is twenty-six years old. You can find it weird and unpack the gender dynamics of it, but at the end of the day, it's just two adults getting married.

No, it really doesn't. It's creepy as gently caress that it was posted here without any greater context.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Coffee And Pie posted:

I mean it’s weird but at a certain point isn’t a woman allowed to make her own choice?

No, she's not. The arbiters of public morality have judged it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Sans even a shred of indication to the contrary she's an adult exercising her informed free will. You may think it's icky, and I may think it's icky. But it has no place in a thread about rapists. Posting it here is projecting personal morality onto two apparently happy adults and saying they should be ashamed, and shamed, because you personally have an issue with their private relationship. That is creepy and can gently caress right off.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 26, 2019

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yes, I'm definitely the weird one for thinking that throwing people on the Weinstein pile for getting married is hosed up.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Bust Rodd posted:

Nobody speaking up, or calling it out, or I dunno maybe interviewing the new Mrs. Quaid like “how’d you guys meet, what are your interests, what do you have in common?” that sort of stuff.

Would you be happier if she wore the age difference on her dress in scarlet numerals?

Thinking they should have to justify themselves to you, by passing some sort of relationship interrogation is incredibly hosed up. You have absolutely no right to know anything about their relationship and they absolutely do not and should not be beholden to judgemental morality policing weirdos on the internet to explain themselves.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Boywhiz88 posted:

Bust’s post was very articulate and you’re coming at him with ad hominem and strawman arguments

Bust's saying that adults should have to explain, to Bust and the public at large, why they should be allowed to marry each other so that they can be judged as to whether or not their relationship is valid.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Rhyno posted:

It's a bad look for him. How is that incoherent?

It's incoherent because you seem to be trying to say that it is both fine and not fine at the same time, delineated along gender lines. It's either acceptable for two adults to marry of their own free will or it isn't, you can't say it's okay for one half of the relationship and not the other. And why the gently caress should 'look' to strangers factor into who a person chooses to marry if they love them?

This whole thing just seems like a weirdly puritanical imposition of propriety on two random people for no other reason than to punish them for not conforming to your personal perception of what a relationship should be. It's honestly quite vile.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 26, 2019

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Bust Rodd posted:

Nah you guys are right, these star crossed lovers just found their soulful connection to one another, and there is no possibility that a dude like 50 years older than this woman could have possibly groomed or otherwise manipulated her into believing something that isn’t really true. She’s a CONSENTING ADULT which the only thing that matters in these situations. Historically older men in Hollywood have never brandished their power and authority to get what they want or to present their young beautiful girlfriends as trophies, and they certainly never use them as status symbols to cement their ongoing desirability. It’s just a totally normal and not at all perfect example of the misogynistic culture of Hollywood in which men can and should last forever, perpetually hooking up with the youngest and most attractive woman until their bones literally rot and they can only bang their young starlets via a robotic exo-skeleton (A Sexo-Skeleton, if you will).

You just sound like a nutter now.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

LividLiquid posted:

It's not just money. It's the fact that he's a man, and most men I've met sympathize with the rapist first in every story about rape they've ever heard.

LividLiquid posted:

Gentlemen, I can hear your axes grinding.

gently caress off. This sort of hysterical bullshit, and the smug decision that women in their late twenties shouldn't be allowed agency, don't help anything. You just smear poo poo on the struggles of others to make yourself feel superior. You're not even an ally. You're a moth trying to bathe yourself in someone else's light.

For gently caress sake, you're accusing anyone who disagrees with you of supporting rapists. You witless parody of a Tumblr account. You absolute shambles.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Oct 28, 2019

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Bust Rodd posted:

I feel like you can make whatever point you’re trying to make without resorting to calling a woman ‘hysterical’ in a thread specifically about sexual assault.

Oh don't worry, your gender, of which I was unaware, had nothing to do with my choice of words.

Franchescanado posted:

Hello friends. I think this conversation has circled around enough times and doesn't seem to be making moves towards anything in particular. Let's drop it and talk about the thread's actual topic.

This is a polite way of telling you to stop discussing Dennis Quaid's dating life and whether or not his 26 year old significant other has any agency.

Cheers.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Bust Rodd posted:

You seriously cannot maintain this position when you say three posts up that Stephen Miller being a Chief White House strategist doesn’t conflict with proposing marriage to a White House Aide. That’s ridiculous.

You're grossly underestimating, or deliberately misrepresenting, the size and complexity of the White House bureaucracy. She's on the staff of the VP, an entirely different group to him. There is no reason, let alone proof, to think that this woman is not simply exercising her agency.

Constantly crying wolf is counter-productive, and does nothing but stop people taking you seriously.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
You'll be saying we can't take blind item gossip sites at face value next.

What are you hiding?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
How very dare you not take an unsupported tweet smear at face value. :colbert:

That writer apparently has form for making poo poo up to libel people by the way. So good on you for not falling into the trap this thread so often does and, indeed, did in that instance.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 23, 2019

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
No, you couldn't. People came out and put themselves forward as victims with accounts of what he did. That they were in his social circle, indeed had been in relationships with him, was verifiable, and many of them corroborated each other's stories and his pattern of behaviour.

This particular Goldblum thing is a person with form for making sensational but unsupported claims making a sensational but unsupported claim. She supplies no proof, no accounts of what he did to these people she says talk to her (presumably because that would be actionable), and no names. No one at all but her to say that it is true.

Now, it might be true, but you'd have to be a loving idiot to accept it as so based on what she put out there.

Edit: Oh and yeah, as experienced by Avian Pneumonia, she also blocks people for simply being in threads where someone questions whether or not the accusations she makes are true. A totally normal and trustworthy behaviour.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 23, 2019

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The Drake stuff is deeply deeply creepy. And mostly right out in the open. On video at concerts no less.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The sex = death thing in horror films definitely has some rooted link to American puritanicalism in the culture, reinforcing that sinning sexually deserves to be punished. It's also more grimy than that though. Directors were, broadly, looking for ways to get tits and arse on screen as a draw, and throwaway sex scenes as set up to murders were a simple way of doing that. You don't need to do much writing to establish a sex scene like that. It puts two characters in an isolated location by default, and being naked makes them vulnerable. It's a shortcut.

In much the same way many 80s B movie action films have the protagonist motivated by revenge for a rape, or rape as the crime that establishes the bad guys. It's not because the directors had a big boner for showing rape (except maybe Michael Winner) it's because they were idiot hacks who had a thought process of "rape involves sex, sex involves tits, therefore rape = tits on screen & character motivation in one scene. Efficient storytelling!"

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Rhyno posted:

There's actual rape in Revenge of the Nerds and it's played 100% for laughs.

A very similar scene plays out in the 2009 Richard Curtis film The Boat That Rocked. Acknowledged as being based on a real event, a DJ sends a friend to have sex with an unknowing groupie who wants to gently caress the DJ. Curtis wrote it for laughs.

About five years later the people the film had been about started getting arrested for historical rapes and sexual assaults, because while Curtis still has the mindset that it's funny, not many other people do.

(gently caress Richard Curtis.)

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

DrVenkman posted:

Ah Terry. Like, yes that is probably his experience on the show, but isn't everyone just going to be on their best behaviour now anyway so it's kind of a moot point.

Sad to see him immediately forget anything he'd learned when he went through his own poo poo.

He doesn't dismiss her complaint in totality, he says that in his experience he didn't see signs of the part of the complaint you might expect to have also effected him. Do we expect people, when asked, to give lockstep mindless support even if it doesn't match their own experience in similar circumstance in the same workplace?

I'm not sure that's healthy or helpful.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 25, 2020

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

King Vidiot posted:

I don't know, I mean in a way I don't care about Depp and Heard's dirty laundry but Heard just really comes off like somebody who's a complete sociopath who lucked into being born beautiful enough to get away with terrible things. I think Heard knows that Depp doesn't want to leave her because he's too attracted to her, and maybe she throws him a bone now and then and acts like she "loves" him to keep him hooked so she can heap abuse on him because she gets off on the power she has over him. Which is, of course, how a typical abusive partner operates. Have something the other person needs, portion it out to them, then yank it away and/or physically harm them and then repeat the cycle.

This post is pretty gross and probably something we should steer away from.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

King Vidiot posted:

If you're saying that my post was implying that "all women use their looks to get what they want", then I'm sorry I didn't clarify. I meant sociopaths (I mean assuming Heard is one, I've known several) who also happen to be attractive will use that as a means to get what they want or to abuse other people.

Did Depp have this problem with any other woman he was in a relationship with, or just Heard?

No. I'm saying your creepy head canon personality critique and psychological diagnosis of a domestic violence victim you've never met, based purely on your apparent preference for her drunken drug addict husband, is gross. And weird.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Don’t understand why so many in this thread seem immediately ready to exonerate Depp? Honestly find it creepy. I find it far easier to believe both Depp and Heard are abusive assholes, from what we have seen thus far.

A complete lack of nuance, a belief in narrative where there needs to be a goodies and baddies, and old fashioned bias.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Skwirl posted:

I don't know, it absolutely doesn't excuse what they did, but I think we need to seriously look into how CTE affected Chris Benoit and Aaron Hernandez and have a discussion about it as a society.

And also the British tabloid press was invented to make all other forms of news media look good by comparison. A woman literally just decided to no longer be a princess because of how loving terrible and abusive they are.

Bad as the press are, I'd put the blame for that closer to the throne personally.

As to Benoit, I think the attitude among wrestling fans at least is that it was almost certainly CTE and he was probably a victim as much as his family. Without making excuses.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
In the chivalric era high status women were property primarily valued for their trade value as virgins, so yeah, you bet that stuff came about because people did not want their goods handled before sale. And getting (or being accused of being) handsy with another family's women (consensually or not) would have been a grounds for blood spilling and vendettas.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Snowman_McK posted:

And more to the point: as indicated in this thread, he was not a healthy person. He had serious issues, but he had issues that made him incredibly valuable. It's like how we love Mike Tyson for being a finely tuned killing machine, then all tut when he bites someone's ear, just like a finely tuned killing machine would.

I've always found it extremely weird how Tyson being a violent rapist just kind of went away in the American psyche.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
He is probably very hosed then. I'm glad of it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Prisons are close quarters for a confined population with lovely healthcare, and no one gives a toss about prisoners' well-being. They are notorious breeding grounds for infection.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

MonsieurChoc posted:

Honestly that owns.

Really? I find it morally reprehensible.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Alan Smithee posted:

like it baffles me she would choose now of all times to go supernova on this topic

if america is "going through a sidequest" during a plague event then she's trying to kick people off a cliff on runescape

She's an extremely poo poo gently caress You, Got Mine liberal who has fallen down the same poo poo-person hole as Graham Linehan. They grew up in a time and place where hating the gays and the ethnic minorities was going out of fashion fast, and they probably had a decent amount of contact with people from those communities. So their prejudice got moved along an incremental notch.

She's doing it now because the brain worms are hatching.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm not entirely sure anyone ever actually did explain that to him.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
If you know anything at all about the pro wrestling industry this is utterly unsurprising. WWF, as was, covered up the hilariously obvious murder of a woman by one of it's big stars in the 1980s. It's a business littered with sadists,dealers, junkies, crooks and brain injuries.

By Vince McMahon's own words he is in "the garbage business".

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I don't know what you mean. Let's name a pay per view event after our company's known people trafficker, in the year 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
At first glance that seems like a pretty strong alibi.