Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Yeah, how come we’re not talking about Zack Snyder’s obvious thing for closeups of buff women screaming while they powerlift and throw objects? /s

There’s also a discussion to be had about using sexualization/nudity/graphic presentation thereof as a stylistic or cinematic choice, and not just “the director wanted to see her in her underwear” or “producers thought the boobs would help sell tickets/promote notoriety”, etc. There are legitimate reasons to deliberately titillate or alienate an audience, or to use the presentation of something to elicit a response from the viewer.

Ironically, we’re so inured to female/afab-bodied nudity/sexualization in media that one of the best examples of this is when filmmakers/theater directors choose to show full-frontal dick+balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Good thing no one said that. Rose McGowan said everything bad that happened to her was done by a Democrat, and that is probably true

Yeah, but she also said that Larry Elder would be a better, more trustworthy governor for California and I think everybody here—no matter how they feel about democrats—would agree that that’s very untrue

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Pretty sure McGowan is only allying with Elder here because every single ostensibly liberal news outlet and authority is busy trying to save Newsom’s rear end from getting recalled, and already made the calculation that they didn’t want to give airtime to a story that could sink gavin for good because they care more about team sports than morality

Yes, a man who wants to ban abortion and outlaw mask+vax mandates in schools is the moral choice, it’s only team sports beep boop

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 13, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Yeah Quentin Tarantino's character is not supposed to be sympathetic in any way.

If Tarantino didn’t want the audience to agree with or sympathize with that character then why play him in a film? Why is he featured on the poster? Why write a character like that at all? /s

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
#NotMySteven

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Charlz Guybon posted:

Self described? If you had to fake being the great grandson of a star from the 20-30s, why would you pick Moe Howard?

https://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/...ulative-fiction

(Jason Colavito is a cool pseudoscience/pseudoarchaeology debunker—he’s not my original source for learning about the time the History Channel based an entire season of a show called Hunting Hitler around a photo of Moe, but this blog entry was the first best thing that popped up when I googled it)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Phylodox posted:

I don’t know what kind of people they are, and I always feel like anyone judging people (celebrities or otherwise) based on their acrimonious divorce proceedings is kind of poor form. No one is going to look good in a snapshot from one of the worst times in their life, especially when much of what you’re hearing is coming from their aggrieved soon-to-be ex.

yes but in this case they both took each other to court, and now he's been taking a bunch of other people/publications/etc to court, over alleged physical abuse on both sides

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

If only there was some way we could have known about his criminal activity earlier.

If only he’d been to court for it two decades ago

If only Dave Chapelle had made a wildly popular sketch about it and put it on a DVD with record sales

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I don't really think Dave Chapelle even took it that seriously. He was obviously not on R. Kelly's side but the whole thing was just "lol, he pee peed on girl." rather than going hard on him for being a monster.

oh yeah, absolutely

but my point was that people couldn’t say that they didn’t know all about it. Like I was 14 and I knew about it

honestly the jokes are much worse in that context because, like you said, the well-being of the girl doesn’t even rate a footnote in anyone’s concerns like at any moment, it’s “lol he’s a pervert”

people have been doing this forever—once you label or contextualize a woman or girl as a “ho”, be it to mean “sex worker”, “groupie”, “gold digger”, or simply “slut”, her well-being/internal state/consent stops mattering. Like it doesn’t even matter that she’s a literal child, she was there to starfuck, ergo she just a(nother) ho.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Considering Chapelle made a follow up sketch about how he'd never vote to convict and it wasn't that serious and put Rick James back in the public eye after the rape/kidnapping/torture charges, he doesn't seem to take anything done to women that seriously.

Chapelle was also one of the big voices pushing the “how recognizable is one guy’s penis from another, anyway? I don’t think I could even pick my own out from a lineup” response to one of the prosecution’s key pieces of evidence in the Michael Jackson trial, which was an accurate drawing of the vitiligo markings on said penis by one of the accusers.

Like, just on its face, without the element of the unique skin condition that Jackson had, that’s a such loving ludicrous thing to say, and speaks to some real “no homo” posturing

Like some I’m so straight I can’t even recognize my own dick bullshit, wtf are you talking about

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/F8yV8xUorQ8

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I didn’t know Leary was right wing. I thought the worst he got was that cornball/cringetacular “I’m an rear end in a top hat” song from the 90s

But Carlin was too good for this loving country

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Vincent posted:

Every year before the 90's had an undercurrent (overcurrent) of frothing misogyny.

This. The 90s and 2000s are just notable because 1) most of us lived through them 2) there was a collective backlash in entertainment/media culture to the unholy alliance between the Tipper Gore Dems and Nancy Reagan GOP, specifically in the media that appealed to people like us and youth/mainly males

The worst decision a powerful, visible subset of mainstream second-wavers did in the 80s and early 90s was to hitch feminism and anti-misogyny to “family values” and social neoconservatism, but I guess that’s one of the many evils of the Third Way Dems

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CPL593H posted:

"Those are rookie numbers, son."

One of the bits from that album is simply titled "Faggots". And for some reason there was a special Record Store Day limited edition reissue of this.

of just that bit?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
this thread just can’t stop trippin’ over feet

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I’m shocked that a judge in Arkansas didn’t roll over for the Duggars. Their relevance and clout must be waning in the Trump era

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Peccadillo posted:

Oh no, what did he do, my mother loves that dude

wikipedia posted:

In a Playbill article, Barrowman publicly revealed that during a performance of Sunset Boulevard, he had exposed himself while standing behind a piano. Though hidden from the audience, it was in clear view of the actors on stage. This prompted a letter from the show's composer, Andrew Lloyd Webber, warning him to not "upstage the score with his appendage."

In February 2008, talking about Barrowman's on set behaviour, Doctor Who co-star Freema Agyeman said in an interview to The London Paper newspaper, "John will walk about with his chap hanging out, having conversations with people."

On 30 November 2008, Barrowman allegedly exposed himself during an episode of Radio 1's Switch programme. Although the act was not seen, as a show staff member had covered the webcam, the BBC and Barrowman subsequently apologised for any offence caused.

Following accusations of sexual harassment from 20 women against fellow Doctor Who star Noel Clarke in April 2021, a video from a 2015 science-fiction convention surfaced wherein Clarke and co-stars Camille Coduri and Annette Badland discuss the episode "Boom Town," which was filmed in February 2005, and reference Barrowman exposing himself. Julie Gardner, an executive producer on Doctor Who and Torchwood, confirmed that she received a complaint about Barrowman's on-set behaviour "around 2008," for which he was reprimanded at the time.

On 7 May 2021, Barrowman issued a statement that read:

My high-spirited behaviour which was only ever intended in good humour to entertain colleagues on set and back stage has been well-documented, including in my autobiographies and even in song. There were a couple of times during filming where I’d resort to tomfoolery, but none of this was ever intended nor interpreted as being sexual in nature.

With the benefit of hindsight, I understand that upset may have been caused by my exuberant behaviour and I have apologised for this previously. Since my apology in November 2008, my understanding and behaviour have also changed.

At no point was I ever made aware of any sexual harassment, bullying, or sexually predatory behaviour on set and I was certainly not aware of the allegations about Noel Clarke.

As a result of the allegations, a video featuring Barrowman was removed from the Doctor Who: Time Fracture theatre show, Big Finish removed the Torchwood release "Absent Friends" from pre-order and their release schedule, and Titan Comics shelved a graphic novel that was set to feature Captain Jack Harkness.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

Isn't that just a soup plate?

(Seriously, why the gently caress is that detail even there?)

it’s a Nice Pete detail

It’s like the “watch mentally ill men take long, cold baths without suds” of table dressing

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I think framing this as a purely “mega rich comedian punches down from a place of relative comfort” misses a big part of the issue which is that Dave has framed this as a racial/cultural impasse.

His whole thesis is “I don’t have a problem with trans people, my problem is with white people”, as though “don’t be lovely to trans people” is purely a thing in white (effete, “liberal”/progressive) society and black people (specifically black men, ie “real” men) are too real for that poo poo.

Without going into a whole derail on misogynoir and black/brown-specific manifestations of queerphobia, or on the way that the mainstream media uses them as a figleaf to launder those viewpoints to broader society at large etc (there are entire dissertations written about the intersection between “the black/brown Everyman” character and blackness/brownness-as-cool/authentic), Dave did kind of the same thing with the R Kelly/MJ jokes ~17 years ago, and similar refrains have been used by the media to hand-wave away arguments about sexual assault and the treatment of accusers, LGB rights, gay marriage, gender violence, and so forth. If you want to take an objectively lovely opinion and frame it as common sense and normal to *everybody* in America, and not just white conservatives, try putting it in the mouth of a cool black guy.

It’s an outgrowth of the classic “caring is for f*gs, and you’re a f*g for caring” framing, with the added flavor of “and also a Karen”.

I don’t know that there’s a good solution to it beyond just platforming and elevating the poo poo out of trans PoC.