Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Blood Nightmaster posted:

... They'd choreograph a routine for the kids with the goal of eventually performing it in front of the parents. And I distinctly remember, at the time, they were learning a routine to the song "Lose Control" by Missy Elliott feat. Ciara.

I remember on one hand, feeling weird about the fact everybody was dancing to something that literally opens up with the lyrics "I've got a cute face, chubby waist / thick legs, in shape / Rump shaking both ways / Make you do a double take", especially since we were all girls between the ages of 11 and 13. but on the other hand I honestly, really legitimately wanted to sign up for the activity because it looked like an absolute blast. I never signed up for it in the end but a year later in high school, I took an actual dance class for a PE credit. I loved learning routines, getting all the steps down, it legitimately felt incredibly freeing to participate in. At the end of the term we did a routine loosely based off of this one from So You Think You Can Dance, and our outfits were basically "wear red/black and a lot of makeup".

The dance you did is play-acting a zombie. Getting little girls to play-act a sexually available adult is a totally different kettle of fish.

I spent years in after school dancing. It's very fun, and great exercise for kids. However there's an adult teaching the steps; I would, now as an adult, feel extremely violated by the teacher if my primary aged dancing was overtly sexual.
I ran around unself-consciously in a leotard for dancing, which was fine for practice, but as an adult, I wonder if there weren't a bunch of creeps in the audience for the end of year performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU