Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Vegetable posted:

Adding to the list of opinion pieces above, a video criticizing the babe.net piece has been popping up all over. It's by a contributor to HLN, which I now know is a part of CNN rather than a cheap YouTube knockoff of cable news channels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4bAULTwAJU

It's a bit disingenuous and reads like it was engineered to go viral. But it's part of a broader backlash.

The writer of the article actually emailed Banfield and uh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjRYbR_-Dhw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

It's like something i'd read from a youtube comment. The writer is a hack lol.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
This seems pretty irresponsible:

https://twitter.com/itsamandaross/status/952609177402335233

Less than 6 hours to respond?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Timby posted:

It's been ... Jesus, 12 years since I graduated from J-school but without digging out my ethics textbooks I seem to recall that the standard for a story like this, to give the other party an opportunity for comment, is at least twelve hours. The exception is breaking hard news, and even then you give a few hours and include a "so and so did not respond to requests for comment as of press time."

I mean, Eater New York, which is just an online food-trade website, gave Mario Batali 24 hours notice about the story regarding him being a sex monster.

Kinda makes sense now that i think about it. Aziz just won a golden globe so they wanted to get that story out asap and generate a ton of clicks, which they successfully did.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

STAC Goat posted:

Again, its pretty clear Grace's story is true and Ansari effectively confirmed all of it with his account. Anyone who seeks to dismiss her story because of Babe.net's clear flaws is a piece of poo poo.

But Babe.net seems to have done and continue to do a bad job and its just kind of lucky that Ansari didn't deny it and make the entire story suspect.

That's a huge strawman, i don't think i've read any opinion pieces that said the story was false. People are disputing the story's claim that this constituted assault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

STAC Goat posted:

Fair, and I apologize if I unintentionally mischaracterized anything in my haste.

Point is Grace's story - regardless of your interpretation of it - really isn't in question and Babe.net's credibility or journalistic professionalism really doesn't factor into whether what Grace went through was assault or not.

Rolling Stone didn't interview the fraternity brothers for the rape story (babe's attempt to contact aziz is just one step above that). It's pretty important to get the other side. Aziz wasn't allowed opportunity. I'm sure most of the story is accurate, but human recollection is pretty fallible even if you're not intentionally being malicious. How do we know every single point in that article is accurate? Because of Aziz's public statement (which i'm pretty sure was vetted by a PR firm)? I don't even know how people can justifiably say Aziz confirmed the whole story based on that statement alone, especially given the circumstances. How do we know he wouldn't have made corrections to the story, if given enough time?