Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...k&ICID=ref_fark

in this version the DA claims to have mountains of evidence, thousands of videos, but when he decides not to run for re-election his successor couldn't produce any of it.

Orange County District Attorney Todd Spitzer said his team found no evidence of any assaults by the couple, despite the county's former prosecutor insisting a year and a half ago that he seized "thousands of videos" and there could be "more than a thousand" victims. There is not a single piece of evidence or video or photo that shows an unconscious or incapacitated woman being sexually assaulted," Spitzer said Tuesday. "Not one."

He accused former District Attorney Tony Rackauckas of using the case to promote his re-election efforts in 2018, in what Spitzer called a "blatant abuse of power."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's actually weirder than that:

Apparently this whole thing started because there's a group of online Nazis who are still pissed about Jontron not being on the show anymore so they intentionally try to create rumors and allegations discrediting anyone associated with Game Grumps. So it's a bunch of right wing weirdos intentionally faking a case of sexual abuse because they're pissed about some let's players being "too woke" ("too woke" in this case means "not a Nazi")

Like I said, I have very limited information and was unaware of any Game Grumps drama until now, but the stuff I'm hearing has been pretty wild :

https://twitter.com/R_X_Queen/status/1373822528049778689?s=20

Racist fans upset that their boy was replaced with a jewish guy? Well i never!

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

has anyone watched the play yet? i gave it a quick google, but it led down a rabbit hole i wasn't able to go down at work.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

I remember some one saying it was vintage, like Lewis Caroll type, pictures of nude children. The victorians were really into that sort of thing.
Reminds me of the beginning of What Ever Happened to Baby Jane, where everyone was buying life size dolls of singing child star.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

I'm not directing it at anyone in here, but in my personal life it feels like whenever something like this happens a lot of people jump out of the woodwork to say not only do they not like this person, THEY NEVER LIKED THEM, and i'm like, wait, you liked this two weeks ago, you re-watched this at my house even after i said i had already seen it, this was your halloween costume last year, and they just stone wall me. It feels so bizarre, and they act like I'm a piece of poo poo because I used to like Louis CK, even though I don't anymore. Like I was wrong for liking him back then, and it's some kind of lingering taint. Maybe some people just can't reconcile those emotions with their memory, or they don't want to feel like someone got one over on them?

Or sometimes when the public tide turns and everyone starts hating a thing i already dislike , like cards against humanity. I hated that game when it was just called apples to apples cause it was dumb, and now everyone around me wants to get on their high horse about how problematic it is when they Played it ALL THE TIME for YEARS at every game night, and would brag about how they had all the expansions and the bigger and blacker box. I'm not gonna say I'm better than them, but if i wanted to giggle at people saying slurs and curse words I already had X-box live.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Honestly I just think comedians are soft these days when it comes to criticism.

To be fair, modern criticism is a whole different animal. Twenty years ago you and me could spend an hour outside the gas station criticizing actors, comedians, politicians, and nothing we said would travel more than ten feet past us. Now in seconds I can find almost anyone noteworthy online and let them know that their whole family should get cancer and die in a fire.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

Das Boo posted:

Literally only one I know of was Heaven's Gate, and that's because they all (including Applewhite) castrated themselves. Which makes it extra sad because they were all just a bunch of really mentally ill people who believed their nonsense and killed themselves.

I still think advocating castration in a group you have control of a form of sexual abuse. To me it feels like when the cult leader decides it's time for everyone to die, that's not really suicide, and when the leader starts telling people to fly down to Mexico to get their balls chopped off, it's probably not really a suggestion.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda interesting how nearly every country has this mythology of organised crime that 'used to be respectable'.

It's because lots of people like to say things like "my uncle Jimmy's boss knows a guy in the mob, and if you give me any guff I'll tell him!"
Then they feel like a big man, like they can sick some goons on you if you don't do what they say.
Don't do this, in reality criminals don't really like it if you go around talking about them and the crimes they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

I think there are also some guys out there who are genuinely looking for a high profile empathetic example of male victims of spousal abuse, because as supportive as people can be online, once you step away from the computer a lot of people look like they might as well just sigh and make the jerk off motion when you bring it up.

I don't talk to my mother anymore. She did some heinous things growing up. She used to beat me with a belt to force me to say "I love you", she use to torment me when she was having a mood by saying poo poo like "I'm going to make up something you did later and make your dad whip you for it, and I'll wait until he has been drinking so he can't tell how hard he is hitting you." Can you guess how many times in real life I've had people tell me to suck it up and get over it. That was in the past, being a mom is so hard, you need to grow up, she's the only mother you'll ever have, i bet it wasn't really that bad, you made me do it. I've heard it all. Hell It took getting a few lesbian friends to have someone in my adult life to step into interactions between me and other women and say "hey this is hosed up, thats abusive." I think that's why guys always say exes are crazy. If you say "my girlfriend keeps me from friends and family, she breaks and throws away my things, she hits me sometimes. She's abusive." people will roll their eyes. If you say "She's crazy!" people seem way more likely to sympathize. It sucks so hard. There is a whole town I won't go to anymore because the women in my family get so mad at the idea that I am an adult and they cannot hit me anymore.

WaywardWoodwose fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 21, 2022