Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

George Takei apologized for the Howard Stern interview claiming it was just a joke. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/george-takei-apologizes-howard-stern-remark-calls-it-distasteful-joke-1058074 It sure as hell didn't sound like a joke, which makes me believe he knew he accidentally admitted to doing something really lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

precision posted:

I don't want to start some stupid "slippery slope of forgiveness", but I think it's probably okay to let Franken voluntarily resign or not, unless more people step forward.

edit: Actually, what he did sounds worse than I thought. I'm not sure now.

Someone who abuses their position of power like that almost certainly has more than one victim. People argued that the US should've stopped trying to arrest Roman Polanski, because his victim just wanted to drop things, but then it turned out that there were probably more victims. A person doesn't stop being a danger to society because their victims forgave them.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

You would have thought she'd have learned from this exact thing happening to Amy Schumer just over a year ago.

Lena Dunham admitted to molesting her little sister, and didn't even think she did anything wrong. She ain't learning anything from anybody.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Darthemed posted:

Cross-posting from the Comic Strip Megathread:

LvK posted:

so, ahh, this came up on my Twitter feed and I thought of this thread (I fell behind two years ago and just haven't been in them ever since, whoops)

Y'know our "pal" Guy Gilchrist? He's, uh... he's been up to some stuff, and he sounds like a real piece of poo poo, alright!

https://twitter.com/MuppetFeminist/status/931591227660783616
That guy looks like the creepy dude from the Too Many Cooks video.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

So the CW says they did an internal investigation and since they don't have any evidence of him doing anything while employed by them they're going to keep Robert Knepper on iZombie.

I don't know why they're doing it at it isn't like he's super important to the show and could easily have been written off.

He is also stuck in the bottom of a well, and the only person who knows about it hates his guts. They could easily just never bring him up again.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

So apparently the Observer is trying to debunk the sexual assault accusations against George Takei, but they don't really make a strong case. Basically, they claim that because the victim was unclear on some details about an incident that happened a long time ago including if he was actually drugged or not, and because they couldn't find evidence that Takei was a repeat offender, Takei must be innocent. They also try to make the accuser look like a racist. Coincidentally, the author of the article was writing a book with a segment about Takei.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Looking up Emil Hirsch on IMDB, I see that he has a role in Trollhunters (A Del Toro project). With Del Toro's support of Polanski too, it seems like he is perfectly fine with ignoring people's lovely behavior.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Catfishenfuego posted:

Britain is currently going through the fun debate of 'if an undercover police officer spends years deceiving a woman about his true identity and character specifically to spy on her and her friends and fathers a child with her has he committed rape and is he responsible at all for the child?' with the garbage met predictably arguing no to both.

I dunno, the cop is definitely responsible for the child, but ultimately the other person did consent even if they didn't have all the facts. You can't retroactively retract consent just because you found out something you didn't like about a person. It'd be like someone trying to claim rape because they found out their sexual partner was trans.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I guess Cardi B is one of the first female celebrities to be outed as a rapist. I can't think of a lot of others. Asia Argento maybe?

There was Lena Dunham who admitted to raping her little sister, and didn't even seem to realize what was wrong with that.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 31, 2019

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

You never really got the impression that they were actually that friendly with Max Landis. They were still perfectly willing to poo poo on him even before he got outed as a sex pervert and while he was producing content with them.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

A lot of the articles have factual errors as well, to the point where sometimes they’ve used sources that say the opposite of what the article claims. No point in reading even interesting listicles if they’re wrong.

It also seemed like at least one person from Cracked was just taking content from SA, because a not insignificant amount of their lists would match content that was just mentioned in a PYF thread.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

teacup posted:

It also shows just how much power actually affects this stuff. R Kelly was huge back then. Now, not so much. Same with Cosby. One of the surprising things about Weinstein was that he actually got kicked out of Hollywood for it due to him being powerful. They protect their own in entertainment.

I mean look at how many people are still defending Roman Polanski even though there isn't even ambiguity about whether he raped an underaged girl. He still gets to hang out in Europe and make movies. Its all about having the right friends. The only reason R. Kelly and Bill Cosby got taken down is because they are gigantic crazy assholes that not even other celebrities want to hang out with.

Kevin Spacey got taken down because all his other friends were sex perverts too.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Yeah when the scandal broke about Byran Singer, they had to use the technically legal defense for his and his sex pervert friends' extremely creepy behavior. There wasn't even really an attempt to hide that they were coercing young men to have sex with them if they wanted to have a career in hollywood.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 21, 2019

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

So many people wanted that turd sandwich dead, it wouldn't surprise me if there were multiple hits put on the guy at once.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Prince Myshkin posted:

The real killer on this list is Althusser. The postmodern deconstructionist types make sense but a doctrinaire Marxist really should know better.

lol, if you think someone advocating for a certain philosophy means they are a good person. Its how these horrible monsters keep getting away with the awful stuff they do.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I wanted to figure out who Ansel Elgort was and found out that he might have bullied people using racial slurs in high school and is into open relationships too. (I believe that most of the time, one person is way more into a open relationship, than the other person in the relationship is)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Coffee And Pie posted:

A good point that’s been brought up is that children who sexually abuse other children have often been abused themselves. It’s a hosed up situation if it is true, it’s like the Lena Dunham thing.

It’s depressing though, I really looked up to Savage as a maker and for his involvement with film prop culture, which is something I’ve been passionate about since I was a kid.

Lena Dunham didn't think she did anything wrong though. It sounds like the sister might have a history of false accusations unless there is a bunch of horrible stuff the Savage family is covering up, which is a possibility. I think its too early to tell at the moment.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Desperado Bones posted:

The guy was accused of following two different high-school girls and exposing himself to them. So HUGE yikes.

Middle School girls.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

PT6A posted:

There's this, and also upon further thought, a huge part of it is the idea that the male viewer is somehow the intended or default viewer. What if, and follow me on this one here, a coming-of-age film featuring girls and directed by a woman, drawing from influences in her life, is not really made for men at all? That's not to say that films have to be gender-specific by any means, but inasmuch as art is a form of communication, what if the intended audience for this film, which is in essence a commentary on issues that primarily affect women, is... women?

What if they, at no point during the creation of this film, gave any consideration to what would give men's dingles a tingle? And, yeah, from what I've heard, Netflix really, really badly hosed up the marketing.

Female pedophiles are a thing too.

Also, I agree with the poster above, even if the film had good intentions, it still basically ended up doing the same thing to children that it was criticizing against. Different motives doesn't make it right. I imagine a few years down the line we will hear about one of the child actors that regretted doing the film.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Zogo posted:

I've heard of some in their thirties enlisting but the vast majority are young and poor last I checked. They don't know what they're really doing.

It's one of the tragedies of society. It's like the ending of Hair (1979) featuring zillions of headstones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhNrqc6yvTU

That is just a myth and basically always has been, the majority of people who join the army are middle or upper class.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Depp was also one of those rear end in a top hat celebrities that wrecks hotel rooms.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I mean, I was more trying to make a point about why Jared Leto still gets away with it. Also, no one's actually busted Kevin Spacey. He ain't getting any new acting parts but he's still free and rich.

Though the real reason Jared Leto is free isn't so much so that he's white, it's that he's a CIA psyop.

R Kelly got away with his crimes once despite having video evidence of him having sex with a minor. The only reason he got in trouble was because he was somehow stupid enough to continuing filming his highly illegal crimes. Fame can only go so far when someone is being that blatant about it.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 7, 2021

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

It creates conversation by playing into the narrative that false rape accusations are any form of meaningful thing and isn't it so horrible that an innocent white man got murdered because he was accused of something he didn't do?

I'm not particularly interested in people making movies supporting horrible gross concepts in order to generate a conversation. If you make "Climate Change isn't Real" or "Maybe the Holocaust didn't happen" movies I'm going to find them foul no matter how much conversation they start.
Even though false rape accusations are rare, they are a real thing. They shouldn't be treated as something completely non-existent. In fact, it was specifically a problem in the 80s where people were recovering repressed "memories". It was the cause of the satanic panic. All claims of rape should be seriously investigated and they are likely to be true, but that doesn't mean due process should be completely disregarded. Even if you think its completely illogical for someone to make a false accusation, humans aren't always logical creatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I'm assuming her dad somehow got the judge to agree to something that is meant for mentally handicapped adults who will never have the mental capacity to consent to sex. Obviously it should have never applied to someone like Britney Spears.