Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

It's happening gif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Chloe Moretz has like the worst luck in Hollywood.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The only celebrity I would be genuinely upset to learn is a pervert is Keanu. Well and Amy Adams I guess.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

precision posted:

He can't deny that he married his adopted daughter.

I think this is technically not true but he's definitely a massive creep in any event. The Dylan Farrow stuff from everything I've seen is hard to get a handle on but I admit I haven't read up on it that extensively.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I guess it won't happen but it would be pretty funny to live in a world where Franken steps down and Moore wins in a landslide.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

sethsez posted:

His wife became president last season.

Ahahah holy poo poo I'm glad I only watched season one.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I'm very against retroactively editing people out of stuff that's already out there. It's Stalinesque.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I mean, the unspoken thing here is that Hollywood is jammed to the guts with marginally talented people who only have their jobs because of nepotism. There are many more Bryce Dallas Howards and Scott Eastwoods than Michael Douglases or whatever. Does anyone on earth think Gwenyth Paltrow is that talented? Would anyone else have gotten fourth and fifth chances at a career like Robert Downey Jr. if they didn't already know everybody in Hollywood from growing up around the industry? gently caress no.

I mean sure but there are tons of marginally talented (or less) people floating around who weren't connected at all. Explain Sam Worthington, for example.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Woody didn't do it.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I guess, for me the big thing is that medical team or whatever that interviewed Dylan found no evidence of abuse. Of course, there's some serious weirdness surrounding that group too; it's a bit hard to get my head around. Anyway I don't think it's exactly an open and shut case, but my knowledge is based on like 3 hours of Internet research a few years ago so I could be completely off base.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Barry Convex posted:

The Netflix exec who got fired for telling a victim that the company didn't believe the Danny Masterson allegations wants you all to know how sorry he is.

I'm on his side.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The point is that very little of this, and unfortunately not too much of all that's happening in general, is about justice or equality or whatever.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Tars Tarkas posted:

I'm betting at least some of the women defending Aziz are because they've been in similar uncomfortable situations and don't want to go down a path that means they have to admit to themselves they were sexually assaulted. And some of those situations might not be sexual assault, just people who can't communicate because US society is entirely stupid on sexuality and communications. This is way more nuanced than "bad man did bad thing" but it isn't something to be easily dismissed or rejected and the people who are doing that are doing just as much as a disservice as the people defending Weinstein et al. Add to that a mixture of clickbait titles and articles on both sides and you got yourself a messy stew. By not focusing on these accusations we are eliminating the potential for a discussion on consent that is needed, but also people will get very defensive about.

Not to defend old Aziz, but a friend of mine doesn't like the idea of calling what he did sexual assault because she was sexually assaulted in a much more violent way and she thinks it diminishes the term.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
You shouldn't let a 22 year old blogger do anything, really.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I knew a guy who claimed he slept with her around 2008 when he was 22 or so. He had a thing for redheads so I believe it.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I mean, loving certain high schoolers is legal in plenty of the United States, and Canada. Not to say those laws are good and enlightened of course, or that they entirely reflect social mores. I don't even want to think about Europe.

Das Boo posted:

I'm just trying to figure out what kind of masterful spin one puts on "had sex with a 13 year-old" to make someone think, "Oh, well that's not so bad."

"She forgave him" or whatever has been part of it, I think.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

i am the bird posted:

At this point in the conversation, if you don’t have a good answer to these questions it means you don’t care, have awful opinions, and/or have a guilty conscience.

Reduce the human population of the Earth to 144,000.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Not Operator posted:

Is anyone else baffled by the (hollywood reporter) article that guy referenced to start that conversation, that because of MeToo and the Weinstein accusations, Hollywood might be too scared to do romance or sex in movies anymore?

loving what?

I mean that's a pretty standard reaction to this kind of discussion--"Oh you want people to sign loving contracts every time they have sex?!" I hadn't heard that particular take though.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I really miss the Born Again smoothbrains of the Reagan/Bush/Bush era, their attempts to engage and critique the broader culture were hilarious. Their modern cultural counterparts are way more boring and scary.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

What else is there to say about this but:

Lmfao

He's lucky his new path in life is exactly the same as his old path in life!

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

The first guy that figured out that you can rehabilitate your piece of poo poo ways by becoming a Buddhist or whatever must've felt like a god.

Uh, Siddhartha Gautama?

Edit: Is that the joke? poo poo

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Phylodox posted:

Single White Female is a movie in which Bridget Fonda advertises for a new roommate (the eponymous single white female), an ad which Jennifer Jason Leigh answers. Then Jennifer Jason Lee slowly begins to emulate Fonda in an attempt to subvert her and take over her life. The phrase “single white female” became a kind of cultural shorthand for a person mimicking someone else, usually with ominous, obsessive overtones.

Pretty racist to specify race like that...

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Hey, the heart wants what the heart wants you squares.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Charlie Rose is a freaking imbecile.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I think they may have taken out too much of his frontal lobe. Was the date rape stuff before or after the brain surgery?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Cosby going down screaming and cursing is pretty delightful I'm not gonna lie.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Im pretty sure isis and al qaeda were incel organizations at the end of the day.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Not really but when you write and direct you can do as you please.

Yeah things are a little looser when you're writing it...for yourself.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Louis was showing strong signs of decadence and self righteous piety before all this happened so he can stay dead. He won't though he's too valuable to too many.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Yeah I can't give any points to someone who apologizes after the story is out and irrefutable. Like if sixth months prior out of the blue (although not really because the rumors had been around a while) he'd been like, "America, I am an awful person and a sexual criminal," he'd get (a little) cred for that. Wonder why that never happens...

Also not for nothing but even his "good apology" includes some "Well, I had my reasons" language.

porfiria fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 28, 2018

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I mean according to the article it was delivered as a joke—it’s apparently supposed to sound absurd. To be clear, Louis Ck’s body should be torn into four pieces by driven horses and the pieces scattered to the corners of the earth.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Krankenstyle posted:

Yeah, these people who make a living saying things in very specific ways in order to illicit certain reactions are completely unaware of the potential consequences of what they say. Silverman just opens her mouth and a series of random words spill out that to her have no relation to anything past, present, or future. If someone takes what she says as an absolution of CK, that is completely unexpected and it is ludicrous to assume that any of them could have even thought of it at all.

There's a pretty big distance between Sarah Silverman having crippling aphasia and a planned PR push however. I know Adam Curtis has turned everyone into conspiracy theorists, but really who cares if it's a PR push? The truth is, given the venue and the nature of the comments, it's clear Sarah Silverman has mixed feelings about CK and is struggling to reconcile her personal experiences and relationship with the guy with the Bad Things He Did. Of course, it's entirely possible the clickbait headlines will end up doing Louis some PR good. The only difference the conspiracy makes is how evil you think Sarah Silverman is. So then the question becomes why are you obsessed with a celebrity's interior life?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

sponges posted:

Because I liked Silverman, but if she’s going to make a transparent attempt to redeem a sex pest like Louis CK than she can pound sand.

Sarah Silverman should be executed immediately for having more than a million dollars but what're ya gonna do.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Let's take this from a bird's eye view. It's hysterical that anyone would share that willingly. Like the whole circus that has to rev up to get anyone to care about whether Louis slapped his dick out at Sarah Silverman. Stern, Silverman, CK, what a bunch of loving weirdos.

I have some bad news for you about modern human culture...

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Louis CK and all of his blood relatives should be killed by the state.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Bill Burr strikes me as more of a provocateur than a reactionary, although I won't defend a lot of his stuff. He's the kind of guy that prefers Bernie to Hillary because Hillary's "too liberal."

His rant about Steve Jobs is great though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew6fv9UUlQ8

As is his close reading of One Punch Man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4WQal7L2Cw

porfiria fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 14, 2018

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Jerry Seinfeld is probably a sociopath.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Jerry Seinfeld has never been funny. The show was all Larry David.

Also plenty of rich people are just like you and me--and that's the real terror.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Joe Rogan is successful because he's exactly as smart as the average American.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
If you're going to be a transphobic comedian, at least come up with better material than "I identify as an attack helicopter" poo poo. Like, when the Internet memes are beating you to joke-punch by about five years you're in serious trouble. Chapelle's reactionary conservative crap was way better than that.