Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

What Ansari did may or may not fall under some legal definition of sexual assault but it most certainly falls under the banner of loving pathetic behavior from someone who should know better, who publicly asserts to know better by his association with #Metoo and Time's Up campaigns, and nobody buys these wormy "sry misread the signs" excuses anymore.

What about it was so terrible? He sounds bad at the whole sex thing and a little pathetic but it's also a piece designed to make him look bad. I didn't see anything that made it seem clearly non-consensual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

That writer is real bad given that in November she was writing about how it's about time that in a post-Weinstein world all these men were taken to task. The whole thing just reads like, "Well I liked MASTER OF NONE so..."

However, interestingly there has been quite a bit of response from women who have chalked it up to a lovely date. It's something that Grace herself tacitly admits when she tells him that he's just like other men. It's all about perspective I guess at the end of the day, it just made me surprised to see some reactions that I didn't really expect.

Those aren't mutually exclusive. Weinstein was quite literally a serial rapist that used his connections to get hollywood bigwigs to threaten actresses into silence (didn't he also threaten to kill some actress?). Aziz Ansari had a bad date. Do you actually think it's hypocritical to condemn one and excuse the other?

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

Someone else doing more wrong does not make the other wrong any less wrong.

Is there a reading comprehension issue here? That's not even close to what I said.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

I'm also super uncomfortable with the idea that this even is in any way Grace's fault. People latch on to her "you're all the same" comment like it indicates she has poor taste in men, but even if we buy into that narrative, so what? That doesn't absolve Ansari of being lovely, any more than someone not having their seatbelt buckled absolves the drunk who t-bones them.

How would it be anybody's fault? If she had a bad date and it made her uncomfortable, then that's what happened. People should support her. It just isn't a zero sum game, where if she felt bad there had to be a monster behind the curtains. Aziz sounds like he was legitimately doing weird stuff, but from her description there was consent and he backed off when he understood she wanted him to so it's hard to see him as a terrible person.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Vegetable posted:

How many classic comedies have been tainted by the lovely people involved? Of all my favorite stuff: Arrested Development (Tambor and these jerkoffs), 30 Rock (Baldwin), Community (Harmon) and Seinfeld (Kramer). The Office is probably one of the only clean ones left.

I always feel weird when people say this. Kramer is a comedian that as far as I know did nothing wrong. Michael Richards played him in Seinfeld, but he's also a real dude.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

peer posted:

I think most people are (or at least should be) less concerned with how this affects Argento personally and more concerned with how it will be, and already has been, used to discredit the movement as a whole, including by Weinstein himself.

If the allegations are true (which they certainly appear to be), gently caress Argento and also gently caress anyone who points to this as evidence #metoo is tainted or illegitimate or hypocritical

It's still really lovely to be telling a victim that they're politically inconvenient.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I'd also probably feel different about the situation if they didn't have a prior working relationship when the kid was like 12 years old. A 17 year old randomly meeting a 33 year old and hooking up isn't necessarily going to be a huge traumatic event(not that it couldn't be but I wouldn't automatically assume either way).
Can we not do the pedophile with a thesis defense? A 33 year old getting it on with a 17 year old is still hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Can you just make your point without putting a disclaimer about how much you don't care about middle aged adults having sex with kids?