Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Radcliffe hasn’t just been doing poo poo since HP ended. Swiss Army Man was good! Now You See Me 2 maybe not so much. But yeah, pretty much all of the Harry Potter kids seem to have turned out relatively ok, although I guess they still have plenty of time to go off the rails. I don’t know what Rupert Grint is up to these days, but I haven’t heard anything negative about him. I guess he’s just enjoying being rich as poo poo.

There was some story about Grint buying an ice cream van, so hopefully that worked out since Domhnall Gleeson locked down 100% of the ginger acting market.

SAM was a great weird indie movie with a great weird performance by Radcliffe, and they shot in the most beautiful forests on Earth (Humboldt County).

Unrelated: David Thorpe is also from Eureka CA and wrote a few articles about Humboldt life.
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/the-friend/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

It's honestly very surprising that Devin Faraci hasn't killed himself or started over in another country. Look at how furious people were over him getting paid to do movie-criticism-stuff with the Alamo Drafthouse guy.

Well, maybe that's what a normal shame-feeling person would do. I guess it's not surprising at all that he's back on Twitter arguing with/at the same people as last time

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

it's cushy because he gets paid a metric rear end-ton of money to do it, not because it's easy work. a lot of people do more or less the same thing for completely free, or for an inconsistent Youtube or Patreon income instead of a consistent salary.

how much is a metric rear end-ton, and how much revenue does he generate for Escapist

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1428724022527684619?s=21

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

AceOfFlames posted:

I wonder what those "minders" even put on their CVs?

"Yeah, I spent the last 5 years babysitting a sexual predator. I believe this makes me qualified to work in this company"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKE9W0O8bX8

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Preface: thanks for the context UK goons

The Savile documentary felt good on the surface because it was mostly interviews with British people about how his actions effected victims and the horror of him duping everyone. From the US I was thinking "god drat, what if Mr. Rogers was revealed to be evil?". I watched clips of him being an evasive speedhead and joking about "what if I really WAS that evil, huh?". A few times you could credibly say his mask slipped (instant change of behavior or going dead-eyed psycho when he thought the camera was off) or he responded so outside the norm that interviewers could tell something was wrong (asking why Jimmy had never had one week of human love in his life and him sheepishly responding to the floor). Maybe those actually were slips and an interesting look at a psychopath making mistakes.

But like QAnon, all the horrifying conclusions were super easy to reach and more about you feeling clever than uncovering anything. It makes no sense why master-of-lawsuits Savile would even allow the show to air on BBC. And then Goons and youtube comments pointed out that no, while adults couldn't prove anything they still knew he was a sick gently caress and forbade kids from being near him. Comedians made "Norm Macdonald vs Michael Jackson on SNL" level jokes on the BBC for years. And then the loving royals cover for him?

I don't really know anything but it made more sense when someone said "Savile was a procurer/pimp for actually powerful pedophiles". Is this statement on-track (understanding we'll never have proof):
"Jimmy Saville was intentionally pedophilic on TV to the extent that nothing was provable but if he went down all the attention could be directed at him"

People saying he tricked everyone, that Thatcher was a fool to knight him, that those interviewers got close but never pierced the veil. You guys just pointed out that they could not have been unaware of his crimes, and that the real story here is why every police precinct and level of state media prevented people from stopping him. I'm interested in a book or video about the people behind this situation and of course understand if that can't exist with today's libel laws and police threats.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Part of it is back then they didn't really think it was that bad.

It's crazy how seemingly every pre-90s rock star was a piece of poo poo. People are rightfully calling out Jared Leto today, but Bowie / The Rolling Stones / etc wrote lyrics about little girls being more fun or molested teenage groupies or straight up adopted children as sex slaves (!?!). Society was seriously hosed up if that wasn't scandalized and I suddenly realize how scary it was for non-adult-males before feminism. It's still not equitable but jesus christ the 70s.

Kurt Cobain era stars probably called those guys predatory pedophiles and refused to get near any Epstein party poo poo. Like Bill Gates flying to the island all the time and his wife divorcing his rear end.

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 18, 2022

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

If you start from the assumption that nobody is a creep then the older guys look like outliers. I believe you and it's probably just the record companies becoming savvier with PR and realizing average fans aren't as monstrous. nowadays and will ask questions if that stuff goes public. Then again people still believe MJ

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

It's a small gesture, and maybe The Shins are creeps in some way I don't know, but IIRC they kicked out a good drummer because he beat his girlfriend

Edit: I realize I've been spamming this thread, so I'm going to chill down and stop posting. Looking forward to reading instead of talking.

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 18, 2022

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

There is a book called In Plain Sight, apparently it's good

https://www.amazon.ca/Plain-Sight-L...aps%2C96&sr=8-1

nice

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

I would watch the poo poo out of that.

Loved the hell out of DtS on Comedy Central. Never understood the hate for it, seemed just as funny as the movies CC ran all day and considerably less nihilistic (jesus CHRIST Very Bad Things)

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_U-7L1tmBAo

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

What would they need one for? Ze Germans?

Yeah, real gangsters use their pig farm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3qy4Zv4snI

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

This got me looking at the Talk page of Wikipedia articles, and it's quite apparent that users aren't happy with the Conservative tone of medical information there. The ''mania' page has just what you're describing:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Mania

It's a pretty consistent pattern for any term you've asked yourself "but what does that mean? I don't feel that way." That, or the lovely Conservative idea is laundered into a redirect to some objective or professional topic.

I also came across this anecdote in Only Child (redirected from the horseshit Only Child Syndrome), which is basically a Simpsons scene

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

(or ignore this if it's not useful to the thread)

Depp can be a piece of poo poo independent of Heard's brain, and this thread hasn't commented on psychiatrists using this trial as a teaching plan for Borderline Personality Disorder

I can believe her while also seeing someone exactly like the person who tried to destroy my friend's life. Does anyone here have informed thoughts? I'm a dumbass but I didn't invent this topic, it's also being discussed *outside* of the idiot misogynists and Depp fans, real world conversations

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

HopperUK posted:

It seems kind of dismaying to me to use this trial footage, where you get to see what's shown to you and no more, to teach anything at all. And it's not wise to diagnose people based on what you see of them in public, I don't think.

(consider that people think they know what a sociopath is, how to identify them, and what they will do)

Depp's psychiatrist witness, who publicly diagnosed Amber, is being lauded by people saying her testimony is a master explanation of personalities+syndromes at the level of R1 university tenured professor. People aren't making the important distinction, though, that she could be Borderline while also being a victim. Independently. Mentally "ill" people are not violent by nature (I'm not). But violent people are mentally ill, right? Cause that's what salt of the Earth CNN viewers & youtube surfers are concluding.

It's over my head but I can see that experts like this crew are necessary in clearing things up, because a lot of people are going to start believing they can diagnosis a Borderline person while also believing that proves they are violent. It's happening right now and it sucks

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

HopperUK posted:

Yeah that's what worries me. It's very reassuring for people to think they can 'just tell' that someone is dangerous in some way, and a lot of people conflate 'mentally ill' with 'dangerous', and it's so loving stupid.

"not crying" and "being smug" are the two big ones. she is visibly snorting Vics Vaporub or cocaine, something to do with tears (and it's really obvious), and all the non-idiots still conclude that means she doesn't feel emotions or pain or whatever

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

hmm, just remembered she is a botox user (addict?). maybe she is crying on the inside and can't naturally tear up anymore, and is using drugs/sleight-of-hand to get her face in line with her inner self

if that is true, it would be a uniquely modern problem

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

Money doesn’t buy happiness

Just ask Notch in his candy castle, with his hoarded billions from selling Minecraft and not sharing any profits

In comparison: Zach Barth is a down to earth goon-ish guy with a healthy outlook, and even answered when an NYU Game Center MFA student asked him "how do you feel about Notch ripping of Infiniminer?" Said something about life goes on IIRC, because he was focused on pushing forward in life

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

davidspackage posted:

It's not enough being (one of?) the world's bullshit money richest man, he also must be found cool by people online, he must

Maybe it's a consequence of having a powerful monster for a dad, Trump and Trump junior are the same.

Yep, he's a poster. If he could, he'd instantly trade that idiot army for the positive attention of whomever he values on Twitter. Dril or someone, doesn't matter. These are the few people out there he can't convince to act-as-if they support him, no matter the money, and it drives him insane

I psychoanalyzed the Dad thing too, since that's someone he almost definitely never impressed