Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Harmon was lucky as poo poo his accuser was a generous and open and forgiving soul because the kind of details that emerged really should do a number on somebody's career

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

esperterra posted:

Her chest is pretty small for even nuLara standards tbh. Also who gives a gently caress about her tits??
Am lolling at the sheer lack of self-awareness it takes to write these two sentences side by side

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

"Haha can you believe that idiot talking about Alicia Vikander's tits but lol seriously they're pretty small"

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Please don't armchair-diagnose why a celebrity groped another person.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The problem is more that Two Scoops has an allegation for just about every public figure in America, it's not really noteworthy when one lands.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If “fake” rape accusations happen with consequences, they’re more likely because the police simply caught the wrong men of color. That’s happened in a few high profile cases, though not with celebrities.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There’s audio of that arrested development cast interview. It’s really loving brutal what happens. I can not believe how all four of the men in the room could collectively manage to be so hosed up. One hopes Michael cera, who wasn’t in the room, has a better head on his shoulders.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How many classic comedies have been tainted by the lovely people involved? Of all my favorite stuff: Arrested Development (Tambor and these jerkoffs), 30 Rock (Baldwin), Community (Harmon) and Seinfeld (Kramer). The Office is probably one of the only clean ones left.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There’s that story where he came on a plant in a restaurant

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Roman Polanski will make a movie and he will cast Kevin Spacey and it'll probably win a Palme D'or or something

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Separate from who found what and when this first came out, those tweets were a nothingburger. Crude, tasteless, offensive jokes are grounds for firing... except not so much when your job is (at least partly) to make jokes. Then your jokes are just bad, and then you'd be fireable on grounds of poor job performance. I don't think anybody reasonably sees those jokes as anything more than an edgelord's attempt to be edgy.

Of course, I fully understand why Disney would fire him. In the real world large companies fire extremely talented employees for lesser things because it's about reputation. You can't let the brand of the 40%-controller of Hollywood take a hit because of some guy. You couldn't let the Marvel series, the biggest film franchise in history, take that hit. The risk-to-benefit ratio in that analysis is out of whack.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

He made bad jokes, now he makes good jokes, hire him damnit

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m 100 pages of blind outrage

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s probably not illegal to date an underage person, right? Only the sex is.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

She's trying to latch onto the good vibes from Bourdain's death. It's pretty clear.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

You should have to complete a standardized test before you can grant or ask for consent

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

For better or worse that really is a classic Louie joke, you can just imagine him delivering it

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Seems weird that Munn would be the one to find out about it. Who would check on their no-name bit-part co-star of a 3 minute scene?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I think Hollywood will eventually come around to the need for routine background checks. Industries of far lower visibility do their due diligence because of the reputational risks. It’s purely bad corporate management that’s allowing this sort of things to happen.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I think the societal ideal of a former sexual assaulter is that they keep a low profile and don’t work in a field where they regularly interact with “vulnerable” groups like children or problem teens.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Maybe this isn't the right topic for the thread, goobers

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

As I recall it, there were no actual accusations of him beyond anonymous Gawker gossip before his MeToo thing broke

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don't know, I don't see how joking about losing 35 million is bad. He's an awful guy for not being particularly contrite about his misdeeds but this joke is a nothingburger.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How does Silverman's interview absolve CK of anything? Silverman correctly identifies that the consent you get as an industry newbie is hugely different from the one you get as an world-famous pro. The power dynamics are not at all similar. She makes no excuses for his behavior. She explicitly said what he did was wrong. What's the matter with you guys?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Yeah that movie that everyone says sucks except for the lead, is already getting Selma'd despite no real Oscar buzz, and during which Singer was apparently fired for just not showing up to work
It seems unkind and maybe a bit offensive to compare this film to Selma

I didn't terribly enjoy Selma but come on

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Skwirl posted:

I think someone did something more to her, the show was only in its second season when this went down.
It'd be weird if the report, having revealed pretty specific details about the sexual harassment, omitted something much bigger.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The gently caress does any of this have to do with sexual assault

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s still not sexual assault and who cares who “took her virginity” what the gently caress, don’t post poo poo articles here

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I think this is the full set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8Nc3x_TkF4

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The furor over CK’s set is confusing imo. It’s exactly the same sort of comedy that he’s told over and over again in the past 10 years. It’s less refined and polished, which is why you’re hearing it in a scratchy audio recording rather than in a 4K Netflix video.

People are talking as if CK’s just lost it and is being an old rambling dude now. Nothing has changed! This is exactly the same sort of comedy you used to love! You’d have respected this man for joking about parkland survivors or gender-neutral-pronoun-using teens just years ago.

His transgressions surely color his work but it’s pathetic to pretend as if his style has taken a sudden nosedive and that’s the real reason we hate him now. He’s doing much the same thing as before.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Pamela Adlon's show is terrific and the worst part of this whole scandal, apart from the actual victims of course, is that her show seems to have been derailed and it's not clear when it's coming back. Fuckin sucks.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. It's okay because it was written by a woman?
I'm not OP but here's me saying: A slightly gross attempted rape scene is more okay when it's written by a female writer with a record of thoughtful, feminist works than when it's written by a male sexual predator

Is this supposed to be controversial?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

“I was right about not liking that oval office” is only slightly below “Oh man now I can’t watch his shows anymore” for most self-centered response to a sexual assault case

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

He’s a minor celebrity best known for starring in an acclaimed but not particularly popular TV drama. This was his big break. He’d have taken it if it was Polanski. He wouldn’t have been right but he’d have done it regardless. Few are moral enough to turn down opportunities like that.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Love the idea that the net effect of Bohemian Rhapsody has been to make him seem more like a jackass

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This is an active investigation that will likely wrap up within months, if not weeks. You don't need to have an opinion on this right now. You can, indeed, choose to fuckin wait and see.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The R. Kelly allegations have floated around for decades. Jump to all the conclusions you want.

This, on the other hand, emerged three weeks ago and details are coming out every few days. Please don't tell us you can't wait and see.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

thekeeshman posted:

They already have the transaction record of his friends buying the rope at the hardware store. You can continue to believe the obviously false story until everything's put down in writing, or you can exercise your common sense and accept that he definitely made all that poo poo up. You really think there are pairs of chuds in maga hats standing around downtown chicago in the middle of a polar vortex with ropes and bleach just waiting to slightly scuff a d-list actor?
Normally I'd agree with this. Smollett's claims are improbable. But Chicago cops are known for some really scummy behavior. Now they appear to have leaked rumors that it was all staged to media outlets while publicly denying those rumors. It smells like a roundabout way of smearing Smollett. Who the gently caress knows what's true at this stage.

This is precisely the kind of case where people should wait and see.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Rhyno posted:

No you see the footage was doctored and this is all a smear campaign and reasons reason reason
who the gently caress said this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Reddit/twitter best of compilation.
Congrats you’re so proud you were correct in assuming the gay black man didn’t actually get lynched