Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Rhyno posted:

What? It's what the psychos were posting across various places. But continue reading into poo poo that isn't there.
You post a bunch of strawmen in this thread and call people psychos for being dumb enough to think the gay black dude did get attacked by a bunch of white supremacists.

Next you'll see a fake rape accusation and have a laugh that people ever believed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Wow, you're just way off the deep end on this.
Your posts speak for themselves, man.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I gotta be honest that picture of them is creepy for sure but it’s creeping me out on a much deeper level because I’m sitting next to my 26 year old girlfriend she is a DEAD RINGER for the girl in the photo. As in I initially thought I saw a picture of her when I was going through Twitter and then I noticed that it couldn’t possibly be her but then I showed it to her and she got super freaked out because she also thought that I had Photoshopped her into a picture of Seinfeld. Their faces have extremely subtle distinction but otherwise it’s basically like a ghost twin from 30 years ago.
Now all you gotta do for Halloween is dress up like Seinfeld

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Louis CK has been an unrepentant rear end in a top hat since his MeToo moment but maybe my fellow woke friends should stop using clickbait tweets from tabloid newspapers as the source of their outrage

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I feel like she plays the same dry and joyless woman in absolutely everything since Lost in Translation
She peaked in Ghost World.

-Blackadder- posted:

I do have to say that I'm at least impressed with Johansson's introspection, she always seemed like an intelligent individual.

I think a lot of issues can be attributed to flaws in human cognition. People are binary thinkers. We always assume we need to form a conclusion about anything and everything, including situations we have next to zero insight on. I remember reading a thread discussing the Michael Jackson trial and surrounding scandal where everyone was giving their take on whether he "did it or not." Seeing people continuously trying to one up each others knowledge of the events by claiming to have "combed through the Jackson trial court transcripts" in order to reach their conclusion seemed really silly. I could practically hear the wheels turning in their heads as they tried to professionally analyze the evidence and suss out some kind of truth. The truth and the big forest so many seem to miss, is that you don't have to choose one or the other, it's perfectly ok to say that you don't know. In fact that it's probably the most logical response in a lot of instances. I wasn't there at Neverland Ranch, hell I wasn't even on the jury. Any opinion I formed on whether or not he did it would be based on a handful of news articles and internet message board discussions that I'd read, leaving me in a laughably inadequate position to form any kind of independently arrived at conclusion.

Another issue I think results from the issues with an interview with a famous person translates and is read by the public in a magazine or newspaper. These celebrities are interviewed and it's just them and some newsperson in a room having a low key chat. So when they get asked their opinion about something, they just give their take. But when it's read at home by random strangers it can often feel like that celebrity is basically standing up at a microphone asserting their statement as a much more authoritative truth rather than just a personal quick take on something that they have as little knowledge about as the general public.
The difference is you're sitting at home watching TV and she's actually working closely with the guy alleged to have sexually assaulted a seven year old adopted daughter. The duty to do some meaningful research isn't remotely close here.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

In the interview he goes further. He pretty much endorses the America's Got Talent work environment and passionately disputes the allegations because they're anonymous.

I'm sure it's a big payday for him but he can just as well gently caress off.

e: Gabrielle Union responds

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/gabrielle-union-terry-crews-americas-got-talent-sexism-racism-1203479244/

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 27, 2020

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Lots of actors would love to be in Norton’s position (rich but not important enough that people follow you everywhere, can basically have any role you want, seminal performances that everyone from your generation loved and respected).
I don't watch enough Edward Norton to have a real opinion of him but this feels like a serious overstatement of the man

e: probably shouldn't be discussing irrelevant stuff in this thread

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 13, 2020

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

He has, surely, always been like that and just had a really good publicist.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Getting paid for doing nothing is great

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This story got buried when the tweets first came out in June, but it's resurfaced lately: Multiple female ex-staffers have spoken publicly about abusive workplace practices at Hasan Minhaj's Patriot Act.

When the story first emerged months ago, a few small news outlets sought comments from Minhaj but faced complete radio silence. Larger news outlets have also ignored these complaints when reporting, usually very positively, about the show's recent cancellation.

I was reflecting on why nobody seems to care about these tweets. Part of the problem may be that the stories are pretty short on details. But in the case of Ellen, that didn't stop major news outlets from doing the legwork and interviewing dozens of current and former employees.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This is all real bad and awful, but I'm shocked at this part:

quote:

At one point, Vucekovich found herself paying for everything, including gas for his truck, because he’s allegedly broke.

Isn't he the scion of some business empire

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

My main problem with Bowling for Columbine is that it left out how both of the shooters were white supremists who did the shooting on Hitler's birthday and intentionally targeted students of color.

Racism was a HUGE part of the reason why they did what they did, and Michael Moore just completely loving ignored that.
They were anything but consistent with their beliefs. Racist ramblings in their journals co-existed with their blog posts about hating racism. There's no evidence to suggest they were Nazis -- the shooting was originally supposed to coincide with the Oklahoma bombings, and one of them wore a USSR pin on the day of massacre. Also, all but one of the victims were white. They were inspired and angered by a lot of things; it's not really clear at all that race was a particularly motivating factor.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

About the Ray Fisher thing, I believe him 100% but I also wonder why his allegations against Whedon have been so vague. Maybe he's trying to protect the other victims. But it leaves outsiders guessing as to what actually happened.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

edit: double post

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 11, 2021

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I was wondering what noted sexual assaulter Jeffrey Tambor was doing now. The good thing is the answer appears to be nothing, but Disney+ chose last August to release a lovely straight-to-Disney+ children's movie starring him, made in 2016. At least he's not getting any new work.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Write-up on the new Woody Allen docu. There's a part involving sunscreen that's pretty graphic and gross as hell.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/allen-v-farrow-is-a-horrifying-indictment-of-woody-allen

edit: it gets a lot worse

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I hadn't read about Moses' account, and I hope the documentary deals with it in any detail, though I doubt it will.

But this armchair theorizing of how child molesters "really" work is absurd. Really? Come on.

Not to mention, I don't understand how someone outside the situation can confidently assert that Woody Allen is innocent. Even the most charitable reading of this situation has to acknowledge that every character has some questionable level of reliability -- because they were children, because there was a bunch of complex contextual poo poo going on, because there are allegations directly contradicting each other, because abuse, as it is studied, is known to gently caress with someone's memory of things.

At best you can say "Nobody except the people themselves know what happened." But somehow your response is, "Yeah of course he didn't loving do it." It smacks of intellectual pomposity, if not moral depravity.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's clearly one of those documentaries that's very set on its version of the events. And that's not to say the narrative is false or that the filmmakers didn't do their due diligence. Maybe it's the price they have to pay for that kind of access to interview subjects. It'll probably be the documentary or book after this that'll tell the story in all its complexity.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Jessica Walter passed away recently. I'll never forget that New York Times interview with the cast of Arrested Development. It was an indelible cultural moment. Just days after being accused sexual assault, the predator in the room is defended vigorously by fellow white male cast members. They effusively volunteer excuses for him, interrupting the crying survivor of his bullying while she tries to explain her trauma. Gaslights her, jokes that they've all abused her before, tells her it wasn't a big deal. The only other woman in the room is also the only dissenting voice, and she gets in only about a single line before being talked over herself.

I remember clicking into the interview innocuously as a fan of the show -- before the whole thing blew up -- and dropping my jaw at what transpired. If this was happening in a press interview, what the gently caress happens in backrooms?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Discourse changed, but when it came time to actually go through with changing reality, the movement was smothered. It's good that it helped you, but don't get angry at me for pointing out how it was thrown under the loving bus.
Instances of the movement's hypocrisy or self-contradiction doesn't mean the movement was "killed". Nobody questions the movement is flawed, but it quite obviously has changed some lives and cancelled some predators, and it continues to do so.

And yes, powerful people find it easier to get away with misdeeds, no poo poo. Nobody disagrees that's a bad loving thing. Get out of here with this pedantic, strawman crap.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That article is definitely too generous to Schneider. They're giving him the biographical treatment of "he wasn't a good student in school, he grew up admiring tv writers, what a complicated soul" when there's someone gesturing at his weirdly close relations with kids:

"But some people who worked on Schneider’s shows, and asked for anonymity because they said they feared reprisal from him, said they viewed his chumminess with his young actors as awkward and odd for a powerful, middle-aged showrunner. Several recalled that he often spent time during the work day interacting with young fans online and, after work, texting child actors about silly matters of teenage internet life.

Was it research? A desire to be popular? Former crew members recalled that Justice’s character had a locker on the set of “Victorious” decorated with photos of young men, alongside the words “dudealicious” and “who’s hot?” One of the photos was a headshot of a young Dan Schneider."

Yes, the investigation turned up no further accusations or evidence, but "hmm maybe he was just living the childhood he never had" is some loving way to round that section off.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don't think any faculty member of respectable universities could get away with publicly defending Cosby today. There's no way they shouldn't revoke her appointment.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I love Conan but I'm like 99% certain he would not have said a word if a fellow SNL alum trotted out a school-age girlfriend at a Hollywood party. And tbh that's indictment enough. It's all too easy to say nothing.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The music industry seems a bit more tolerant of assholes, rapists and pedophiles than the movie industry. I think it's a factor of music not being a visual medium and also the industry being more embracing towards edgy artistic material, which bleeds into a tolerance for the artists behind that kinda poo poo.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Why speculate on her motives, her memory or her mental condition? Where does that really get you?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This isn't about Hollywood. But a longtime employee of The Broken Token, a popular maker of board game accessories, wrote a Medium post about the 10 years of sexual abuse and manipulation she faced and continues to face: https://medium.com/@ashrtaylor13/speaking-up-to-protect-others-73f152bcb772

She left the company but apparently it's happened to another employee, which prompted her to speak out. The story broke me, it's heartwrenching.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Someone summarize that so I don't need to listen to some guy narrate irrelevant clips for 15 minutes

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm surprised that Britney's side remains so combative even though Jamie's side is caving in. He definitely did some blatant rear end theft and I hope they send his rear end to jail.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Do you feel like you always have to say something? Why don't you just wait for the Rose McGowan press conference before deciding she's being manipulated or exploited or whatever. The spirit of Me Too is that you just shut up and listen for a bit.

edit: mostly in response to this:

King Vidiot posted:

LOL! Yes, fighting the good fight, that Larry Elder. Also feel free to call me a racist or whatever you want to do to deflect from my actual issues with Elder and this political stunt.

That makes sense, which makes what Elder's doing all the more sickening.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This was posted in the Norm MacDonald tribute thread in GBS, and the thread starter promptly shut the thread.

https://twitter.com/Mollyissilly/status/1437854467181977606
(click into the post to see more from the author)

A related tweet I found:
https://twitter.com/KerriLendo/status/1437865176481607680

I enjoyed Norm's material, but I also think that his reputation as a kind of hyper-edgy comic -- he "wanted laughter not applause" -- kind of helped fans brush over the stuff he said.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Norm stuff is appalling because, as that first woman pointed out in her tweet thread, Norm admitted in 2015 to faking being drunk to grope women and no one seemed to care:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/norm-macdonald-a-raw-uncensored-819420/

quote:

Have you ever bombed on stage?

I used to bomb all the time. Once you’re famous you never bomb. They just forget you’ve been sucking for 20 minutes. They just accept it. When I started, I used to bomb about 90 percent of the time.

How did you recover?

Sometimes the only thing that can save you is if you drink. Because they’re all yahoos in some of these joints you play. So you tell a joke and they don’t laugh and you go, “I’m going to have a drink!” And they go, “Yeeahhh!” You take a gulp of alcohol and they all cheer. So for a while, since I have no tolerance for alcohol, I was having the waitress bring me fake shooters that had nothing in them. I’d down like 20 shooters and by the end of the night I was the biggest hero ever because I wasn’t down on my hands and knees barfing like a normal human would be doing.

That’s pretty clever.

And I’d do it to get girls! I’d be in a bar and for some reason when you’re drunk, girls will put up with it if you try to grope them or whatever. (In a high-pitched voice) “What are you doing? Haha!” If you’re sober, they’re like, “Hey! Just what do you think you‘re doing?” So I’d just garble my words. I have used being a drunk to my advantage many times.
He's often known to say things just to get a reaction but he seems totally earnest in this interview. The editor even put quote marks around "grope" in the interview's subheadline, like they didn't know how to better deal with the confession.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

These accusations are surfacing, to me at least, after he died. No one's trying to perform for your dumb rear end.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

WaywardWoodwose posted:

I'm not directing it at anyone in here, but in my personal life it feels like whenever something like this happens a lot of people jump out of the woodwork to say not only do they not like this person, THEY NEVER LIKED THEM, and i'm like, wait, you liked this two weeks ago, you re-watched this at my house even after i said i had already seen it, this was your halloween costume last year, and they just stone wall me. It feels so bizarre, and they act like I'm a piece of poo poo because I used to like Louis CK, even though I don't anymore. Like I was wrong for liking him back then, and it's some kind of lingering taint. Maybe some people just can't reconcile those emotions with their memory, or they don't want to feel like someone got one over on them?

Or sometimes when the public tide turns and everyone starts hating a thing i already dislike , like cards against humanity. I hated that game when it was just called apples to apples cause it was dumb, and now everyone around me wants to get on their high horse about how problematic it is when they Played it ALL THE TIME for YEARS at every game night, and would brag about how they had all the expansions and the bigger and blacker box. I'm not gonna say I'm better than them, but if i wanted to giggle at people saying slurs and curse words I already had X-box live.
I do kinda agree that people need to work harder to reconcile their previous appreciation of an artist with their newfound status as sexual predator. For example, it's been a yearslong process for me to reconcile Louis CK's unapologetic sexual predation with the massive influence he's had on me -- through his comedy shows, his TV show Louie, as well as Better Things, a different TV show he had a major imprint on.

I don't even think it's something people necessarily need to debate and prescribe to each other about. We're not ever gonna agree on the extent to which you can separate art from artist. But it's important to ask yourself: I loved, I dunno, Polanski's movies, they had a big influence on me, he's clearly a hosed up dude, how do I deal with that moving forward?

It's a personal journey. For me it's been a longstanding reminder not to lionize celebrities, to stop exalting works of art, to expect and embrace the fallibility of Great Men.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don't see how sexual assault is analogous or similar to that at all. I really wish people wouldn't downplay the heinous poo poo of sexual assault by likening them to whatever loving pet peeve they have.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The younger Cuomo is also a dirtbag. The apology -- somehow directed mainly at the husband -- is also telling and gross. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/24/opinion/chris-cuomo-cnn.html

quote:

So here’s another moment involving Mr. Cuomo, the one that stands out most in my experience with him.

“Now that I think of it … I am ashamed,” read the subject line of a 2005 email Mr. Cuomo wrote me, one hour after he sexually harassed me at a going-away party for an ABC colleague. At the time, I was the executive producer of an ABC entertainment special, but I was Mr. Cuomo’s executive producer at “Primetime Live” just before that. I was at the party with my husband, who sat behind me on an ottoman sipping his Diet Coke as I spoke with work friends. When Mr. Cuomo entered the Upper West Side bar, he walked toward me and greeted me with a strong bear hug while lowering one hand to firmly grab and squeeze the cheek of my buttock.

“I can do this now that you’re no longer my boss,” he said to me with a kind of cocky arrogance. “No you can’t,” I said, pushing him off me at the chest while stepping back, revealing my husband, who had seen the entire episode at close range. We quickly left.

Soon after, I received the email from Mr. Cuomo about being “ashamed.” He should have been. But my question today is the same as it was then: Was he ashamed of what he did, or was he embarrassed because my husband saw it? (He apologized first in his email to my “very good and noble husband” and then to me for “even putting you in such a position.”) Mr. Cuomo may say this is a sincere apology. I’ve always seen it as an attempt to provide himself with legal and moral coverage to evade accountability.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s okay to say “I don’t know what happened” and just shut the gently caress up for a little bit. You don’t have to choose between the black queer guy who doesn’t have his story straight and the racist rear end Chicago PD. There’s a criminal case about this. Wait for the facts.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I was wondering which talk show host would be accomplice to the blatant whitewashing and of course it’s loving James Corden

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t personally think the article made a meal of it, but I always wonder what’s the point of bringing up someone’s legal name.

Can’t speak for anyone else but as an Asian person I’ve more than once been asked what’s my real name. For trans people the deadnaming is more often associated with hateful intentions, I’m sure.

Let’s just call people what they wanna be called and move on from it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Articles about this news keep bringing up Drew Barrymore’s response to the Lucy Liu incident and it’s just so lovely. She two-sides it by praising Liu for her bravery and then explaining away how Murray was just a comedian going through one of their usual moody phases. It must feel so isolating to speak up about a beloved Hollywood legend and then have your costar more or less downplay the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Kate Moss just testified in the Heard-Depp trial.

She was called as a witness by Depp’s team. She said the story that Depp pushed her down the stairs in the 1990s, which was reported in the press, is false. She slipped. In fact, Depp carried her up the stairs back to her room and got her medical help. She said Depp had never been abusive to her. Heard’s team previously cited this story and today declined to cross-examine Moss.

There’s also been some testimony by “industry experts” from both sides about how big a star Heard really is — which would affect her claim to have lost work due to Depp’s claims.

I thought Moss’s account about the alleged assault was directly relevant to the thread, but I hope people look at this in the broader context. There are still a slew of accusations about which there isn’t much clarity. Facts and claims
will continue to tumble out. There’s no need to be a cheerleader.