Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The objectivist is a both sides shitbag?

Shocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

i have a very distinct memory of staying home from school sick (or maybe "sick"? I can't remember) when i was in 5th grade and getting to watch TRL in the late afternoon because Michael was gonna be on. It was right after 9/11, and the You Rock My World video, complete with sad old Brando, was totally my poo poo because my dad was a fan of Jackson, especially Thriller, because he was a human being who was alive and listening to music in 1984, and a month or so later I made sure we bought Invincible and I listened to it a bunch. I'm honestly not 100% sure when I internalized all of the stuff about him abusing children, I honestly don't even remember if I thought he was weird looking when I was 10.

I read an article online sometime within the last few months that I can no longer find (which pisses me off, because it was a well written piece, especially when it talked about his face and how he made himself more resemble "traditional" beauty standards for men) that talked about Michael Jackson and his relationship with the media. He did dumb poo poo like leaking fake rumors to tabloids to keep himself in the news (things like sleeping in a hyperbaric chamber, or wanting to buy John Merrick's remains), and then when he stopped doing that the tabloids just started making poo poo up on their own because it was easy and people would believe most of what they printed. It's sort of a weird ouroboros that ultimately led to his being seen as a joke by most in the years between Invincible and his death, definitely not aided by his weird relationship with children and childhood.

sometimes I wonder if my reluctance to brand Jackson as a child molester is how people who defend Woody Allen feel about him. To me when I read the case as laid out against Woody Allen by his accuser and the circumstances surrounding the trial, it makes me think that Allen is guilty, and has some great lawyers/publicists that are able to manipulate his reputation to keep him out of trouble. But when I read the same sort of facts about Jackson, the circumstances of the trial, the stories from the accusers, the idea that Jackson has been falsely accused has lots of evidence, despite the fact that he almost certainly has the same sort of lineup of reputation enhancers. Does the evidence seem more convincing in Jackson's favor because I have more of a connection to his work? Or is there genuinely a difference?

DC Murderverse posted:

i have a very distinct memory of staying home from school sick (or maybe "sick"? I can't remember) when i was in 5th grade and getting to watch TRL in the late afternoon because Michael was gonna be on. It was right after 9/11, and the You Rock My World video, complete with sad old Brando, was totally my poo poo because my dad was a fan of Jackson, especially Thriller, because he was a human being who was alive and listening to music in 1984, and a month or so later I made sure we bought Invincible and I listened to it a bunch. I'm honestly not 100% sure when I internalized all of the stuff about him abusing children, I honestly don't even remember if I thought he was weird looking when I was 10.

I read an article online sometime within the last few months that I can no longer find (which pisses me off, because it was a well written piece, especially when it talked about his face and how he made himself more resemble "traditional" beauty standards for men) that talked about Michael Jackson and his relationship with the media. He did dumb poo poo like leaking fake rumors to tabloids to keep himself in the news (things like sleeping in a hyperbaric chamber, or wanting to buy John Merrick's remains), and then when he stopped doing that the tabloids just started making poo poo up on their own because it was easy and people would believe most of what they printed. It's sort of a weird ouroboros that ultimately led to his being seen as a joke by most in the years between Invincible and his death, definitely not aided by his weird relationship with children and childhood.

sometimes I wonder if my reluctance to brand Jackson as a child molester is how people who defend Woody Allen feel about him. To me when I read the case as laid out against Woody Allen by his accuser and the circumstances surrounding the trial, it makes me think that Allen is guilty, and has some great lawyers/publicists that are able to manipulate his reputation to keep him out of trouble. But when I read the same sort of facts about Jackson, the circumstances of the trial, the stories from the accusers, the idea that Jackson has been falsely accused has lots of evidence, despite the fact that he almost certainly has the same sort of lineup of reputation enhancers. Does the evidence seem more convincing in Jackson's favor because I have more of a connection to his work? Or is there genuinely a difference?

The trials for Jackson were shoddy and weak as hell which colours things.

Also there's a much greater perception that MJ was severely damaged, not fully competent and not all the way culpable. No idea to what devree that was actually true but that's how he came off to random not super interested me.

Woody Allen has avoided any trial and seems perfectly sane and stable. So he's avoiding justice and has no seeming mitigating factors to his abhorrent behaviour. Least that's my read.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

What the gently caress Spain?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ryan Reynolds also seems to have a lot of A lister friends.

Which hey at least nepotism got us Deadpool?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

If weíve learned anything from R. Kelly itís that Drake will absolutely get whatís coming to him 30 to 35 years after he prayed on literally countless young women and every single piece of coverage will be playing ďGodís PlanĒ in the background.

I mean Drake might molest a white girl. He seems a lot more reckless about it than Kelly.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Part of what disgusts me about Drake is I feel that older celebrities totally could be good influences on younger ones in a mentor type friendship given how often young celebrities go off the rails due to having all the money and none of the experience. Like there's a bunch of former child stars who credit not getting in trouble with having an older celebrity look out for them and help em deal with all the weird and horrible poo poo that comes with fame. And I mean this is probably true for any sort of situation a kid finds themselves in that their age peers or family might not be able to relate to.

Then fuckers like Drake make everyone look at any attempt at intergenerational friendship askance.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Itís also a good example of how likability and credibility factor into it.

We have photographs of Asia Argento in bed with a child she may have been grooming for years and people are still going to bat for her more ferociously than Dunham. Dunham just sucks and is very unlikeable and itís easier to drag her for a weird thing than it is to drag someone like MJ or Bowie for an obvious, terrible crime.

I mean in Argento's case the fact it came out after she did the interview about Weinstein also made me really skeptical until evidence started piling up.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Moby was old and irrelevant enough I only knew about him because of jokes about his irrelevance. And I'm in my thirties.

You both are just old.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

I am in my mid-30's. He was everywhere in the late 90s.

So yeah you're old.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

As are you! Like, why are you being defensive about not knowing who Moby is? You should be loving proud of that and own it.

I wish I didn't know who Moby is, but I had friend in high school who loved Play and listened to it all the time when I was over. Then that stupid Gwen Stefani song came out and played on the radio 24/7.

Uh

I think you may have missed the point and shown your own rear end there mate.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Sucrose posted:

Apparently this person was bitten by a dog though? :shrug:

Edit: It was apparently Mark Harmonís dog. Mark Harmon himself did not tear up someoneís face.

What I've pieced together is Mark Harmon's dog attacked a member of Pauley's crew, said crew member told animal control, dog got put down/threatened with being put down Mark and other NCIS stars rounded on crew member, Pauley walked cause her employees were being intimidated/treated like poo poo.

So hey good on her for solidarity.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 11, 2019

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Darko posted:

I still cannot fathom how a man who the whole Internet saw peeing on an underage girl because his sex tape leaked in 2000 or whatever still insists on keeping sex tapes, knowing that he is at least under more scrutiny. He got away with it even though he was in clear view of everyone else and is just so hosed up in the head that he has to keep on doing it.

Given his whole thing seems to be power, being as flagrant as possible and getting away with it for nearly 20 years after the first time probably just made it better for him.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

FUN FACT: If we look at the last fifty years, only four US Presidents don't have rape or sexual assault allegations against them. Obama, LBJ, Carter, and Ford. And one of them used to show their penises all the time, so I'm being kind of liberal here.

I mean if I had multiple penises I'd whip em out at the slightest provocation too.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

kaworu posted:

I really think a lot of the "age gaps are bad and creepy" stuff is somewhat anecdotal. After a certain age, a difference of up to 10 years (for instance) really just does not matter.

Yeah like one set of my grandparents had a two decade age difference. But my grandma, the younger one, was 34 and a senior nurse already (and my grandpa wasn't at all involved with the hospital) so like. No real issue? Like when the younger one is independent, an actual adult and has a job with stability and power themselves it's a lot less of a problem.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

peer posted:

I don't think it's an outlandish idea that claiming men are being treated unfairly and an insistence on using "females" to refer to women tend to be signifiers of a particular kind of dude. The accusation still deserves to be taken seriously

Especially when he just used "men" for men in the previous sentence. "Men and :females:" is one hell of a red flag.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah my bad, a bit over sensitive to that kind of language.

Like I reserve the right to doubt the sincerity of an allegation if it's very obviously MRA tripe but that ain't it.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

God that would be terrible, Paul Mooney has been a pillar of black comedy and has been involved in drat near EVERYTHING.

kill your heroes bust rodd

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

As an incredibly poor person IRL, I personally feel like any amount of time he takes off would feel completely arbitrary because if I say he should take a year and Celtic Predator says he should take 5 years and the woman he hurt say he shouldnít ever come back... well none of us really have any reason for our arbitrary deadlines, and there is no indication or data to support the idea that taking time off from society to live like an ascetic hermit actually has any impact on your behavior. The $40 million dollars that he lost for himself and his family feels like the biggest punishment any of these predators have faced so far (except for like Epstein).

Also youíve got a common misconception here. The ďlarger comedy worldĒ still supports Louie and the number or anti-Louie comedians shrinks daily. Most of them vocally believe that any of these guys can come back whenever they want to because you canít tell someone not to work and not provide for their families, and if he canít produce shows or make movies and nobody wants to work with him on new projects, isnít touring and doing stand-up really his only option?

Like if youíve had one career for 30 years and suddenly not only do you get fired but youíre also blacklisted and canít ever work in that field again, what the gently caress are you supposed to do? Learn a new trade skill at 50 and work your way back up until you can support yourself again?

Itís just an unrealistic expectation that anyone who gets cancelled just has to go crawl in a hole and die, thatís not how things work and I donít think thatís how things should work. People need a chance. My brother is getting out of prison next month after 18 years for murder. I have to believe that people can renter society.

Your bro did 18 years. I'm a lot more willing to give Tyson another chance than CK cause at least Tyson did time and actually has admitted fault.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

garycoleisgod posted:

In addition to horrible australian rape stories and the "what should we do with people accused of rape?" question, late last year a St George NRL (australian rugby league comp)player, Jack De Belin was accused (along with a friend of his) of raping a 19 year-old girl. The details are pretty horrible. He has been charged with a number of things and his trial begins next march.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-20/jack-de-belin-to-face-trial-shortly-before-2020-nrl-season/11429282

This led to the question of how he should be treated by the game, would he be allowed to play? Or some people said he's innocent until proven guilty, so let him play until then. However due to the bad optics rather than any moral concerns really, the NRL introduced a rule that said any player accused of a crime with a potential sentence of 10 years or more would be made to stand down. De Belin himself challenged this rule in court, although he has recently dropped that proceeding, due to being short of cash rumor has it.

De Belin missed the entire 2019 season (it hasn't finished yet, but St George didn't make the playoffs, finished 2nd last and were generally shithouse) and depending on how long the case goes, will miss the start of next season even if found not guilty (if found guilty he's going to jail for a long time and will never play again).

He is still receiving his full pay however, like if he was still playing.

I fully agree with this rule by the NRL, they may only be doing it for image reasons, and they should have done it years ago (seriously, there is something really wrong with league players. Another player called Ben Barba got banned recently for a long string of poo poo but the final straw was throwing a rock at his partners head for fucks sake), but it is a good standard to set IMO, innocent until proven guilty is for courts, other organizations like companies or sports teams can set their own internal rules.

So I don't really care if people like Louis CK or Kevin Hart get cancelled or barred from performing. Comedy clubs can set their own rules.

I mean even aside from all the rape there was that guy from the Raiders who blew a dog and then moved to play for England.

Rugby culture is hosed.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I vaguely remember hearing poo poo way back when that 30 Rock episode about him being into love pillows aired.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I've always wondered how we'd handle someone coming back into the fold. So far, most sex pests have either tried to ghost and come back or just double down, so "gently caress off" has worked just fine as a general strategy. I don't know that we've seen much in the way of genuine self-reflection, apology and comeback. I guess Dan Harmon would count (not sure what the general consensus is), but that case didn't seem to get as much press to start with, I don't think.

Mike Tyson I guess?

DC Murderverse posted:

i'd be willing to bet you all the money that Louis CK lost that he still didn't lose as large a portion of his future earnings as all of the women he whipped it out in front of, who then had to deal with his gross-rear end manager loving with their career, the societal pressure of not being believed by your peers/co-workers, and the malaise and depression that comes with both of those things

anyone concerned with poor louie's money can suck my rear end in a top hat

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

He used his power to crush women who tried to call him out and doesn't seem apologetic so gently caress him.

Eat the rich.

Yeah like that's the real thing.

Louis should be in prison for at least several years and most of his and his accomplices wealth divvied between his victims. Anything less is too little.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Skwirl posted:

So glad they killed Scarlett Johansson off to keep him around.

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1183739370529943554?s=19

I mean, she's better than Renner, but Scarjo is still a racist narcissistic weirdo.

Ideally they both woulda been killed off from the franchise. Chris Pratt too.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Oof we just missed the Zach Braff page

https://twitter.com/nachdermas/status/1216103641255464960?s=21

Also Zach straight up looks like he attempted to transplant his face onto a new skull that was in fact too large

Pretty sure mods said to shutup about legal if off putting age gaps in here, unless there's some other reason to discuss it in thread.

Like I'm all for mocking this poo poo but maybe take it to CineD gen chat or something.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah like, the stuff about giving athletes a free pass on horrific crimes is relevant to the thread but the 'sports are pointless and have no value' stuff is some pathetic nerd poo poo. Grow up or gently caress off with that.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

fair point. That's actually a much better example of what i'm saying. super competitive endeavours, especially sports and showbiz reward people who wouldn't be considered healthy under any other circumstances. Ray Lewis is a loving crazy person, but could get his team psyched up like no one else. Michael Jordan is a pathologically competitive narcissist, but holy poo poo he's good at basketball. Tyson's psyche was specifically molded to be able to crush and intimidate absolutely anybody, and we cheer that, but are horrified when it turns out that that guy, the guy who talks about breaking people's will before they even get in the ring, has little regard for consent.

I mean as was brought up when LJS posted that, in Tyson's case he's the only person really brought up in this thread that faced real consequences, made an actual effort to make amends and has been open about his wrongdoing. I also haven't heard anything against him for like ten-fifteen years now so it seems to be sincere.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah as far as I'm concerned the only reason to hope he dies soon is, the admittedly reasonable given his wealth and whiteness, fear he gets out early.

Seeing Cosby's bitter tantrums from behind bars is heartwarming and I'm sure Weintsein's will be too.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I mean dude's still onside with Seinfeld right? And a big Biden supporter. Not surprising.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

He was all in for Pete before Biden.

Well that's much better.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Blood Nightmaster posted:

No no, that's Bryan Adams :eng101: Ryan Adams (sans B) is probably best known for being Mandy Moore's ex-husband (not that that makes this any less deplorable)

Last time this came up didn't some goon vouch for Bryan Adams cause he'd given the goon weed once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

Alright friends, let's move past heights and dating preferences. This is about Sexual Assault in the culture of Hollywood, not the types of people we like to gently caress, you goddamned weirdos.

At least no one posted the Always Sunny "magnum dong" clip?

Alan Smithee posted:

so uh, the whole smash bros community is in upheaval right now

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1281353905075556355?s=20

just to mix things up there's a woman with an underage boy

The FGC in general is getting a huge airing out. EVO the big tournament for fighting games in the US has disintegrated after a bunch of the higher ups got accused as rapists and pedos.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 10, 2020