Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

If you see me in the COVID thread, ignore me.

I photoshop charts to fit my narrative. I happily cherry-pick only the worst information to share and, lacking that, just make up lies.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea the whole false accusations thing is especially stupid regarding celebrities and people with power, because as much as there may be an added financial motive, there's ten times more motivation to keep quiet.

Pauley Perrette played fan favourite Abby on NCIS for 15 years but just left the show under unexplained circumstances and posted a bunch of cryptic tweets about bullying and physical attacks:

https://twitter.com/PauleyP/status/995520041612279808

https://twitter.com/PauleyP/status/995615443061649409

https://twitter.com/PauleyP/status/995620832486424576

https://twitter.com/PauleyP/status/995658483889463297

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

I photoshop charts to fit my narrative. I happily cherry-pick only the worst information to share and, lacking that, just make up lies.

The Australian pro-wrestling circuit is currently tearing itself apart after a female wrestler spoke up about being assaulted by one of the local industry's "legends":

quote:

This Friday (8-6-18), it was brought to my attention that a local wrestling promotion in Sydney was hosting a tournament in honour of Mario Milano.

A minority of my audience may have vaguely heard of this man as an Australian wrestler who competed throughout the 1960s to the 1980s. It is the unfortunate truth that to me, he will only be remembered as a veteran who took advantage of his status to physically abuse me.

In October 2010, during my 2nd year of wrestling, I was backstage at a Melbourne wrestling promotion where Mario Milano was also present. Out of respect, I approached Mario to introduce myself when he suggested that he put his signature abdominal stretch on me. While he had me in the hold, my arms trapped behind his leg and arm, he groped me in front of the locker room. This incident was not only degrading but publically embarrassing. At the time, I was 22 years of age, fresh in the business and was told to keep my story private because "he was a wrestling veteran". To add to the point, the wrestlers who saw this incident have laughed throughout the years at this because "what a great rib". This is not a rib. This is not a joke. This is sexual assault.

This Friday, I publically shared my story via Twitter. While this was not the first time I shared this event, this time it got picked up by wrestling media outlets and shared. Once the news broke, I received a number messages, tweets and comments accusing me of fabricating the story for attention and/or stating that I was asking for it due to the wrestling gear I choose to perform in.
https://www.facebook.com/ShazzaMcKenzieProWrestler/posts/622843848070807

I first heard about it when I stumbled over a tweet from a male wrestler bitching her out for dragging a legend's name through the mud but I can't find it again now.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

There's a story that Gaugin cut off Van Gogh's ear in a fight, and Van Gogh claimed he cut it off himself.

"I'm going to go establish an alibi, you get rid of the evidence!"
"What? How?"
"How do you think, you moron? Mail it to someone?? Derrr!"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

Rhyno posted:

How the heck do you sing along if you don't know the words?

Go look up 'karaoke' on youtube, it's gonna blow your mind :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

Krankenstyle posted:

Nerds love online petitions

I loving hate them and I want them to go away forever.

Please help me achieve this goal, it will only take a few seconds of your time
https://www.change.org/p/petition-to-ban-petitions

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

i was actually going to sign that too...

Anyway, Dan Harmon looks to be the next target. He made a gross video that I can't find because it apparently was taken down in 2012, and he has a sex with a baby doll? I don't know if he had a point or just wanted to be edgy. But it, like the Gunn tweets, was just a nasty gross joke. That being said, some right wingers found it and are now using that as proof that's a pedophile, they made a video of it and only seemed to use the grossest clips, and there doesn't seem to be any other way to watch it, so that video is all you have.

Since he deleted it. It was scrubbed. Gone.

So here we go folks.

Oh man, they're going to flip their lids when someone tells them about Roiland's Doc and Mharti animations

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

K. Waste posted:

I think a graduated 25 would be a great age of consent.

Maybe they should also have to do some sort of official test to get consent authorisation because some of the 25 year olds I know are still really, really immature.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

Rhyno posted:

She's hilarious. Like genuinely funny.

Yeah I liked her segments on the Daily Show

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

Rebecca Corry (one of Louis CK's victims) called out Silverman over her anecdote:
https://twitter.com/TheRebeccaCorry/status/1054471083967959040

Silverman responded:
https://twitter.com/SarahKSilverman/status/1054476111873228800

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

Len posted:

Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore apparently have a 16 year gap. Except he was late 20s when they got married instead of barely 18.

But clickbait headlines are what make money

I remember an Australian politician recently pointing out that some other politician was [x] number of years older than his partner when he met her and heavily implied that he'd been grooming her, trying to frame him as a sex creep. But she'd been in her 20s at the time and there was absolutely no indication that he'd been grooming her, it was just a weird political sledge.
(I can't remember who made the accusations but I think it was Senator David Leyonhjelm? He's a weird creepy man who's obsessed with bringing up other politicians' sex lives and is currently being sued for telling a female senator she should "stop shagging men" during senate debate, and is desperately trying to convince everyone that she implied that "All men are rapists" after he misheard one of her comments.)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

Pedro De Heredia posted:

The context of making comedy?

It's all an act, a performance. It's just jokes you write, that you think might be funny. But you don't know if they're funny. You have to present them to audiences, and see if they laugh. If they do, you can keep honing the jokes. If they don't, you retool them or drop them entirely. It's not uncommon for comedians to not want bootlegs of their performances to be out there, because it's a work in progress.

That's a normal process, but he's not really being judged for being a comedian, he's been judged because people want to believe that comedy is a window to the soul. People accepted, for years, that what they were seeing when they saw Louis CK perform was his unfiltered ID. It never was, it was just an act. It's always an act.

The amusing thing is that, while accepting that in this case it was just an act, people still want to believe in this 'window to the soul.' So now because Louis CK did a few bad jokes + we know he "is bad," then My god, his new set shows what he's really like! That's the real soul of Louis!

He could have chosen to say something else other than those lovely things but he didn't. He made a deliberate decision to say those things and then stood in front of an audience and delivered that material. Whether or not it's a "window to his soul" or whether he genuinely believed them or was just throwing it out there to get a laugh is irrelevant and trying to frame the discussion in those terms or dismiss other people's opinions because you assume that's what they're talking about is obscuring the issue.

We can never actually know what a person believes in their soul of souls so our only recourse is to judge them on their actions, and we can very very definitely say that Louis' actions in this instance were very lovely.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

R Kelly's Australian tour just got cancelled: https://www.theage.com.au/entertain...116-p50rmv.html

Or maybe it never existed in the first place? The details are weird and sketchy, the venues deny accepting the bookings and Kelly tweeted that the announced tour was "fake" but the local promoters swear the contracts were in place.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

Sucrose posted:

I suppose my point here is that getting Wil Wheaton’s opinion on the Chris Hardwick thing is completely unnecessary, and seems a prime example of “pointlessly demanding everyone who’s friends with or associated with an alleged sex pest denounce them” that the other poster was talking about.

Wheaton entered the discussion pretty much unprompted by promising that he was going to make a statement:

... so it's not like people were randomly chasing him down and demanding that he give his opinion, he said he was going to do it but never did.

I don't have a dog in this fight because I don't give a poo poo what Wil Wheaton says or does but I can understand that some people would have been upset by that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

FWIW I don't think that Wheaton should be forced to make a statement, I was just pointing out that he inserted himself into the discussion with a super wishy washy non-statement that didn't achieve anything except drawing attention to himself.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

Also projects often get greenlit because a big name director or star got connected to them, so losing that big name can send the project right back to development hell.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Once you're considered a bankable talent it takes a lot to erase that reputation.

.... unless you're a female director, of course. I read an article years ago that ran up a big list of female directors whose careers had completely stalled after one bad movie as opposed to young up-and-coming male directors who kept getting handed second, third and fourth chances.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Yea that one is just so egregious because the movie is good. It took less than ten years for fans to reappraise it and realize how good it is, sometimes audiences just don't respond to something right away. The studio should've understood that she directed the hell out of that movie and counted it as a mark in her favor, not against her.

If anyone is curious the How Did This Get Made crew did an episode on the movie with Lexi as their guest and she drops a whole bunch of stories about how she got talked into making the film and all the studio interference that went on.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

Shaocaholica posted:

Where was Kevin Hart? I didn't watch.

He went to the gym to work out his aggression on a weighted bag.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BuSSl8mlUky/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

Yeah you don't back Emma Thompson into a corner like that, she will fuckin' wreck you.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

Equeen posted:

Would have been cool is Crews actually said kids should have strong role models of both sexes instead of saying a kid is "malnourished" if they don't have a father in their life.

He sort of did bring the discussion around to role models, eventually
https://twitter.com/terrycrews/status/1102081004322250753
https://twitter.com/terrycrews/status/1101911353155940357

... but at times he was also pretty dismissive about t his words being (accidentally) hurtful to a lot of people
https://twitter.com/terrycrews/status/1102082223442923522

In the end he agreed that he'd spoken badly and deleted the tweet
https://twitter.com/terrycrews/status/1102302150225358848

... but not before trying to play the race card
https://twitter.com/terrycrews/status/1102295696126894080

It was a LONG conversation that stretched over quite a few days. I haven't read every single tweet in the entire back-n-forth but it sounds like he really did engage in an actual dialogue with many people and realised that his original soundbyte statement on the issue wasn't as black and white as he'd thought.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

Here's some photos of the basement mall: https://www.harpersbazaar.com/fashion/photography/g1321/barbra-streisand-house-photos/

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL imagine waking up every day at 5:30 to be at the Cinnabon in Bab’s basement by 6:30 in case she wants one but surprise she’s still on tour so you just hang out in a subterranean temple of opulence all day, wondering what the sky looks like.

If you'd only come up with that idea in 2013 you could have won the 2014–2015 Lucille Lortel Award for Outstanding Solo Show: Buyer & Cellar

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 23, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

So apparently the CPD released the Smolett case file in response to a FOIA request.

http://bit.ly/SmollettCaseFile

Parts of it are pretty heavily redacted

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 27, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

This is the weirdest loving site. I bet he runs it.

The WHOIS info says it was registered 2017-12-04. Anthony Rapp made his allegation against Spacey on October 29 2017, with another 20 allegations coming to light in the following month. Whoever registered wasn't wasting any time ...

Edit: Jeeeeeeeeesus Christ, the images they posted on that site are insanely tone deaf

What are you doing :psyduck:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 21, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Man, what happened to that Eddie Murphy? We have another Landis that needs the life choked out of him.

He has ten kids, one of them must be capable of choking out Landis Jr

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Pepe Le Pew's whole schtick is that he's a skunk trying to rape a cat.

We had a hilarious (read: terrible) discussion about Pepe le Pew in PYF where people were shouting HE'S JUST BAD AT READING SOCIAL CUES, LEAVE THE SKUNK ALONE and the rest of us were :chloe:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think it's incumbent upon a comedian to punch up, or down, or in any intentional direction. I think part of what makes comedy so valuable is that you sometimes get to explore really dark or transgressive thoughts that wouldn't be germane to any other kind of polite discussion, and in laughing at the shock of those thoughts being mentioned out loud, you're somewhat able to re-orient your own moral compass. BUT I think "what is funny" is also a constantly shifting landscape, subject to even the slightest changes in culture and social attitudes, and a skilled comedian has to continually adapt their routine to match the mood of the times.

Yeah, some comics are transgressive in order to push satirical boundaries and speak truth to power, some comics are transgressive because they're thinly disguised bigots who enjoy punching down, some are transgressive just for the sake of being transgressive (which can really easily slide into 'edgy' territory if they're not all that original)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Just, as a thought experiment, can anyone name a single big name female comedian who works clean?

There's a whole bunch of people out there who have a kneejerk stance of "I just don't find female comedians funny" and one of the ways that female comedians push past that is to work blue because it's "un-feminine".
It's dumb bullshit but it's just the reality of the industry.

Also swearing is fun!

Edit: tangentially related, one of the shittier 2 EDGY 4 U / FREEZE PEACH comedy rooms in my city once decided to hold a comedy debate a few years ago with the topic "Rape jokes can still be funny". All the the advertised 'debaters' were men.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 12, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

Look, everyone knows that women can only run straight ahead. :biotruths:

If they're chasing you just run in a zigzag pattern to escape!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

Sucrose posted:

Ok, never mind, I’ve caught up.

Zoe Quinn’s twitter thread is deleted now, what did she accuse him of doing?
Here's an article from a few days ago:
https://www.salon.com/2019/08/28/gamergate-2-0-zoe-quinn-accuses-game-developer-alec-holowka-of-abuse/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

louis ck has already gotten enough money to never need to work a day in his life before this scandal hit the mainstream, boo loving hoo if he doesn't get to keep making millions more from 'the only thing he knows how to do'

Yeah, people keep saying that he lost $35 million but he didn't lose a goddamn cent. He lost a bunch of contracts which would have earned him tens of millions of dollars more than he already had so he lost a ton of potential earnings but he was already insanely wealthy. He'd earned over $50 million in just the 12 months alone before the scandal.

It's not like he's suddenly struggling to keep a roof over his family's head, he's still way way richer than anyone in this thread could ever hope to be.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

people do get banned from jobs, though. There are lifetimes bans from sports, for instance. And it doesn't necessarily take much. A guy managed to get banned from playing basketball in my state just for yelling at a ref.

There's a case going on in Australia right now where one jockey allegedly raped another jockey and his court case doesn't come up until next month. The woman who was raped has stopped working in order to avoid her rapist. The ruling body Equestrian Australia sought legal advice on "how best to balance [the accused's] right to earn a living while his matter is before the courts and its responsibility to his alleged victim" and in the end decided "the alleged incident did not take place at any EA events, locations or associated activities" and they didn't want to do anything that might prejudice his trial so they're just going to sit on their hands.
EA director Gillian Canapini quit the board the day before that statement was issued, she didn't provide any public reasons for her decision to step down.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/equestrian-competitor-charged-with-raping-fellow-rider-20190924-p52ukj.html

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

-Blackadder- posted:

And looks.

Also, one of the things I find the weirdest about Hollywood as a Business Culture is how being a verbally and even sometimes physically abusive piece of poo poo to people is completely and totally accepted as normal if you happen to be their boss. Anyone who's spent any time working in Hollywood can tell you that movies like Swimming with Sharks might as well be documentaries.

Like, there are plenty of other high stress industries, even industries where mistakes can cost, not just a lot of money, but peoples actual lives, yet (while there are certainly individual exceptions) strangely most bosses in these other industries don't feel that it's acceptable to verbally abuse their subordinates, especially not to anywhere near the extent than occurs in Hollywood. It's honestly really loving sick. And the fact that it's such a fundamental part of the Hollywood business culture goes a long way to explaining why all of this other sexual assault/harassment etc poo poo goes on as well.

It's rife throughout show biz of all kinds (especially the music industry) and even most of the arts. Pretty much any industry which separates the 'talents' from the 'bean counters' and has a system where starry-eyed up-and-coming hopefuls have to impress financial gatekeepers in order to get their foot in the door will always have powerful people behind the scenes being absolute monsters and abusing the hell out of everyone they can.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Little nerd puts on the jock's costume and rapes the jock's girlfriend but it's okay because she falls in love with him later.

Ugh, that entire franchise should just be burned in a dumpster.

Also they earlier spied on her in the change room and secretly took a photo of her topless and then distributed it to the entire campus (they print it on the plates when they're selling 'pies' to raise money) which is written off as a prank against her boyfriend

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

Peters also got an executive-producer credit for Man of Steel but Nolan banned him from the set

There's a LOT of stories of him being an absolute scumbag going back many many decades, his metoo moment is well past due

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Yeah Peters is a notorious dickbag. Kevin Smith made a lot of waves with his story about all the insane poo poo he claimed Peters said and did. I think a few people later pointed out that Smith spent 11 minutes in his presence but the other poo poo Peters did was so insane nobody ever questioned it. Google isn't turning anything up so it's likely I just read that stuff here.

People have written entire books about the bizarre poo poo that Peters has done
https://www.amazon.com/Hit-Run-Nancy-Griffin/dp/0684832666

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

God Hole posted:

everything is okay and permitted if you are good at sports

Just two days ago an ex-footballer in Australia locked his estranged wife and three kids in a car, doused them in petrol and burned them all to death, then killed himself with a knife. A huge number of people (including the police!!) responded by saying "Well let's not rush to judge him, maybe she did something that pushed him beyond his limits?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

Not Operator posted:

He's still mad because the entitled gently caress wanted it to be a billion dollar forever franchise. I'm okay with that.

e: like, he was already rich. The money is irrelevant, the prestige is what he wanted.

Also the director got another writer to rework the script and then had a pass at it himself, so the end product was significantly different from what Landis originally wrote