Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

the CK set audio kind of reminds me of an article I read once about how modern day Gallagher is basically just him screaming about liberals and minorities while smashing fruit.

This one?

https://www.thestranger.com/seattle/gallagher-is-a-paranoid-right-wing-watermelon-smashing-maniac/Content?oid=4357855

quote:

At last, after two hours of his tedious, hacky, right-wing manifesto, Gallagher gets to the part his (willing) hostages have been waiting for. It's time to smash some poo poo. There are the watermelons, there is some cottage cheese ("It's got the curds that blow up, just like on the news!"), there is sauerkraut and syrup and honey. Then Gallagher gets a tin pie plate. He opens a giant can of fruit cocktail and pours it in. He opens a can of some Asian vegetable—water chestnuts, maybe—and pours that in, too. "This is the China people and queers!!!" he screams and takes his sledgehammer to the thing with a fury that is no fun at all. Wet chunks of China people and queers fly everywhere. The hateful, bitter old man laughs. I cannot believe Bill Hicks is dead and this motherfucker is still touring.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Zogo posted:

Sarah Silverman: Louis C.K. Masturbated “In Front of Me” with Consent
https://decider.com/2018/10/22/sarah-silverman-louis-ck-masturbated-consensual/

Strange that the article mentions him being mainly apolitical in earlier years. I remember him roasting US presidents, US political families and UK royalty with vigor in his 1992 special. He even had statues of politicians up on stage and was walking up to each of them and screaming at them before smashing stuff with the sledgehammer.

"Those clowns in Congress! What a bunch of clowns!" is not really controversial political commentary.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

syscall girl posted:

Can we switch gears to maybe actually huge monsters like Woody Allen or something?

Luc Besson

literal predators instead of sad dick wagglers (who need time inside, no joke)

People like Louis CK are also sexual predators and should be considered within the scope of the thread.

There is a lot to say about Allen, though. I can't remember if this article was posted here or not: https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/movies/a27233/dylan-farrow-woody-allen-movies/

Stephen Marche posted:

But with Woody Allen, such a separation [between art and artist] is impossible, because his movies are so thoroughly about himself, and about his own condition, and, as it turns out, the moral universe in which he exists—one in which there is no expectation of justice.
But it's not just Hollywood. It's the rest of us, too. What about those of us who are Woody Allen's fans? What the hell have we been watching all this time?

Then there's this rather disturbing quote from a People Magazine piece on Allen from 1976: https://people.com/archive/cover-story-angst-ridden-humorist-vol-6-no-14/

Woody Allen posted:

I’m open-minded about sex. I’m not above reproach; if anything, I’m below reproach. I mean, if I was caught in a love nest with 15 12-year-old girls tomorrow, people would think, yeah, I always knew that about him. [Pause.] Nothing I could come up with would surprise anyone. I admit to it all.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Re: Dunham, for some reason people act like the issue is what she did when she was 7, but the really creepy bit is what she did as a teenager, or at least how she describes it:

Lena Dunham posted:

I shared a bed with my sister, Grace, until I was seventeen years old. She was afraid to sleep alone and would begin asking me around 5:00 P.M. every day whether she could sleep with me. I put on a big show of saying no, taking pleasure in watching her beg and sulk, but eventually I always relented. Her sticky, muscly little body thrashed beside me every night as I read Anne Sexton, watched reruns of SNL, sometimes even as I slipped my hand into my underwear to figure some stuff out.

I don't think Dunham actually sexually abused her sister, but the way she wrote about her is really gross.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

bad day posted:

There’s a list of people who went on the Lolita Express. Clinton is on there. Larry King. A bunch of other powerful men. It’s safe to assume pretty much all of them hosed these girls, what’s the point of being a pedophile billionaire courting all these powerful people into morally compromised situations if they’re just gonna shower in their jeans.

Whether this person did what to whom of what age is unknowable. If they didn’t have sex with the girls they were serviced in other ways.

Is there a list somewhere of actual names? I only remember a few notables.

Don't forget Prince Andrew. (That always struck me as the really insane part of the Epstein scandal, just because it's so reminiscent of the sort of thing nuts like Lyndon LaRouche and David Icke are always saying about the Windors.)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The Bill Gates angle is the most baffling part of the Epstein/MIT story. Why would he give away $2 million of his own money to MIT but let Epstein get the credit? Are the guys at MIT really such Linux fanatics that they would prefer Epstein's money to Gates's?

Maybe Epstein blackmailed Gates into it; no rich and famous person should be above suspicion of raping kids at this point. But Virginia Roberts et al. never mentioned Gates. Maybe they just didn't recognize him?

The other explanation I’ve seen suggested is that Gates was indirectly paying Epstein for some sort of financial services. Not sure what that could be that he couldn’t just get someone else for, though.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 13, 2019

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

The "Lena Dunham did poo poo to her sister" thing is the new "Jane Fonda killed POWs in Vietnam," and is, at best, a bad faith strawman used to smear her, and nothing in her book relating to her sister was published without her permission.

Take her to task for actual poo poo she did like defending a rapist while dismissing his victim's claims, not something that some lovely right-wing journal cooked up to smear her.

It's complicated. I don't think Dunham actually sexually abused her sister, but she thought it would be funny to write about her as if she did, basically.

And there was a fair amount of bad faith in the defense of Dunham too; there were three...questionable passages about the sister in the book, and her defenders acted as though the controversy was only about the first of them.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 3, 2020

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Professorjuggalo posted:

I guess to bring it back to my slavery movie comparison there has to be better ways to show these horrific topics without just being blasted with visceral imagery, and with how much media has already done this type of stuff it turns into viewer fatigue and borderline exploitation

Sometimes I think the "show" part is the problem; some stories that are fine in prose become tasteless when translated to a visual medium. Francois Truffaut famously said that there was no such thing as an anti-war movie; he didn't say that there was no such thing as an anti-war novel.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Wait, really, Jesus gently caress. It's hosed up when people do it actors or directors who created important works of cinema, but I kinda get it, Chinatown is one of the best movies ever made. But if Drake and Josh is that important to you, maybe just stick to stanning Drake Bell

I think in the case of Schneider it's not that people stan him, but that a lot of the anti-Schneider discourse is coming from 4chan weirdos. Some people feel the need to believe the opposite of whatever the trolls/paranoiacs believe/claim to believe. This is misguided, of course; there's some pretty strong circumstantial evidence that Schneider is a creep.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

The Peccadillo posted:

I just remembered one of the Attorneys General for the US got asked by Donald Trump's vetting committee why he gave Epstein a slap on the wrist for being the King of Pedophiles and he was like "I don't know, CIA told me to"

Trump's Secretary of Labor, actually. Alexander Acosta, who had been US Attorney for the Southern District of Florida back in 2007. Acosta's exact words were “I was told Epstein ‘belonged to intelligence’ and to leave it alone,” which is ominously vague.

If that had been all I would have assumed Acosta was making up excuses for himself, but Ghislaine Maxwell's father, Robert Maxwell, seems to have been some kind of MI6/KGB/Mossad triple agent, so there's some reason to think bizarre spy stuff is connected to the Epstein matter somehow.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

The Peccadillo posted:

Oh, the old Attorney General's dad gave him a job as a high school teacher. I got 'em mixed. Too many hosed up people to keep straight

He probably wasn't lying, they would have asked the CIA, they were vetting the cabinet, and they still gave him the job

To clarify, this seems to be a second- or third-hand quote (it comes via this Daily Beast story), and it doesn't specify who told Acosta to back off, or even what intelligence agency they claimed Epstein belonged to.

The Peccadillo posted:

Also I don't think you need to be a triple agent to be involved with those three outfits, they are pretty chummy

The KGB and MI6 definitely were not chummy.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 20, 2021

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Vincent posted:

It was still pedophilia, though. Lewis Carrol was definitely a pedo. Like, it's not a "oh those old timers" type thing, because "pictures of nude children" is definitely NOT something that was normal at that time.

:can:

My understanding is that Carrol's photography was, if not completely normal even at the time, much less abnormal than it would be today. Also, his reputation has been inadvertently damaged by attempts to protect it (his early biographers downplayed his relationships with adult women). But I hesitate to say definitively that he wasn't a pedo. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Carroll#Controversies_and_mysteries

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

it's basically Hey There Delilah except with better world building

and Delilah is a child

Not sure I get the analogy here.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Zogo posted:

'Sternheim called Epstein a “21st century James Bond” who was charismatic and generous.'

That's an, uh, interesting choice of comparison. (In addition to the obvious reasons, Maxwell's father was apparently an MI6/KGB/Mossad triple agent.)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Yakuza might be a special case since they sprang up as a direct result of the what the US did to Japan in the war. (Not excusing the hosed up poo poo they did/do.) They do seem to be dying out entirely since the average age of a member is in the 60s these days.

Um, no? Yakuza go back to the 17th century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't quite know how true this is, but I've been told that many of the ethnic mafias in the US (Italian, Jewish, Irish, etc) sprang up around immigrant communities as a way to help each other out when you couldn't be certain if or how the government would.

You could see how that kind of organization could be potentially life saving in the right circumstances, even if they're still very harmful on net.

Probably true to a point, although the Italian mafia actually originated in Italy before being imported to the US,* unlike the Jewish and Irish mobs, which originated in the US and were then exported to Ireland and Israel.

* Actually, it's slightly more complicated than that. The Italian-American mafia started as the American offshoot of the Sicilian Mafia, but it merged with both independent Italian-American groups and American offshoots of the Camorra and 'Ndrangheta.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 22, 2022