Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I don’t know what Rupert Grint is up to these days, but I haven’t heard anything negative about him.

Theatre and television, mostly. Also hanging out with Ron Perlman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Are such ambiguously worded statements used to avoid potential defamation suits?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

i think there should just be a "don't wear something you should only wear to the beach" rule. it doesn't blame girls for boys' "distraction", it's just like, school is not the beach. short shorts? beach. crop top? beach. button-up with no shirt? beach. really really deep-necked tank-top? beach.

So basically the Vatican's dress code?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

World famous for successfully discouraging sex with children.

Goddamn

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Magic Hate Ball posted:

We should exhume his corpse and beat it up.

Nice to see other people on this site appreciate Repentance.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

bad day posted:

People haven’t always been as obsessed with pedos as they are now. It just wasn’t as common a topic as in 2018.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Brass Eye was satirising the media's and public's sensationalised reaction to paedophilia almost twenty years ago. It seems more likely that powerful people were immune to the panic surrounding the subject because for a long time, the stereotypical child molester was shown as a creepy loner with no friends rather than a highly succesful and well-respected person.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Fart City posted:

I do think it’s worth noting that Chappelle is from that older crop of comics that almost seem incredulous at the idea of someone taking offense to comedy.

I don't know if it's incredulity so much as indignation. A lot of the best stand-up comedy acts from the 60s and 70s were intended to push back against conservative societal norms. People like Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, or George Carlin used their shows at least partly as tools for discussing issues that the general public didn't want to aknowledge. Correspondingly, a cornerstone of their view was that comedy should be able to say anything, that silencing it was a means of social control.

The following generations, including Chappelle's, inherited those values, which is why they react so strongly whenever their material is criticised as offensive. To them, there seems to be no difference between the people who protest a transphobic joke and the people who put Lenny Bruce on trial because he said cocksucker.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

You can tell Bertolucci is from a different era, because most of his peers realise that they're at least ostensibly supposed to be ashamed of their actions.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

So Léon's childlike characterisation was born entirely out of the special circumstances on set? Talk about a happy accident.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Moses Farrow wrote an extremely long essay about Woody Allen, Mia Farrow, and the accusations.

http://mosesfarrow.blogspot.com.es/2018/05/a-son-speaks-out-by-moses-farrow.html

He'd made these kinds of statements before, but with little detail.

It's a good (if very depressing) article. I kind of wish we had the recollections of the other children as well, but I can understand why they'd rather not share such intimate memories with the general public.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

It's nice that they announced the arrest in advance. You don't want to be unprepared for something like that.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Well, look at Mr "abstinence-only education" over here.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

You've been on these forums long enough to know that people would rather double down on an argument than take a step back and apologise. Conceding a point is seen as a sign of weakness, and that goes doubly for the people we talk about in here, most of whom aren't used to being called out on their flaws.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Yeah, if your goal is minimising the chance of a sex offender interacting with a vulnerable group, putting them into food or retail is a terrible idea. Get them a job in a field that's populated by old men, like accounting or something.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I guess it's to the French's credit that they stopped supporting a presidential candidate once he was revealed to be a sexual harrasser.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

DrVenkman posted:

All that is crazy enough, but Spacey got brought down by a lot less.

Accusations like these are probably a lot more damaging to actors than behind-the-scenes people. You can't watch a Kevin Spacey film without being reminded of his crimes, but how many people even know Bohemian Rhapsody was directed by Singer?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

syscall girl posted:

It's funny that this all, sort of, goes back to Weinstein who wasn't the first or the last just a first big splash in the pool. And most filmgoers couldn't tell you what he did other than have a private casting couch.

Yeah, Weinstein seems like the obvious counterexample, but I think that's partly explicable by the sheer magnitude of his abusive behaviour and also by him being fairly high-profile for a producer. The average filmgoer may not know exactly what films he was involved in, but they likely heard the name. Similarly, if Spielberg was somehow found to be involved in a scandal tomorrow, I'd expect that story to garner a lot more headlines than the one of a comparative no-name like Singer.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Shaocaholica posted:

But is it more progressive to have a higher age or lower age :thunk:

There was a time when many left-wing groups in Europe advocated lowering the age of consent, but I think those movements disappeared somewhere in the 90s.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 27, 2019

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Wright wrote the screenplay for Tintin together with Moffat, so you can consider it partly his baby.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Coffee And Pie posted:

Plus I think it’s easier than ever to claw your way back from obscurity thanks to social media.

It's certainly become easier to court the right-wing crowd for fame when you lose the broader public.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

graventy posted:

“Designed her basement storage to look like a mall” is waaaay less cool than “has private mall”.

Once again, reality proves to be a real downer.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

K. Waste posted:

Bernie has never hosed

Well, he's hosed the rich.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Rumours regarding Leto sleeping with underage girls have been circulating the internet for years, which is why so many people expected concrete accusations to surface after the Weinstein story broke. I don't think anyone has actually come forward so far though.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Ah, the Mrs. Doubtfire gambit.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I didn't follow the case so I don't know how much those statements played a role in his future conviction, nor do I understand if the judgement is "you shouldn't have used those statements" or "once you gave him immunity you can't prosecute him, even with completely separate evidence."

The former, as I understand it. Crossposting from the USnews thread, which is talking about the same topic right now:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The reasoning is because the prosecutor declined to charge Cosby for one of the rapes, which forced him to testify in a civil case, and the state then used that testimony to prosecute Cosby, which "coerced a confession" to attain the verdict.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Yeah, the issue isn't the judge upholding the law even if in this case the beneficary was a vile scumbag. It's the fact that prosecutors routinely try borderline illegal tactics like these to screw over people and usually get away with it unless the defendant is rich enough to fight them, as Cosby was.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Is "hotep" another word for "black supremacist" or am I misunderstanding the term?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

So is he a bad person or just really weird with some galaxy brain boomer takes?

His sexual views were always those of a neanderthal, but he rose to prominence during a time when that kind of behaviour was implicitly condoned in artists and so never bothered to hide it. Now that times have changed, he doesn't understand why people consider him creepy rather than eccentric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

kaworu posted:

Yeah, not sure how anyone can watch Taxi Driver and Raging Bull and fail to come to the realization that the guy who wrote those movies has some serious issues with women in his life. Not that they aren't great films, just... So much Catholic guilt and Madonna/Whore complex BS.

Schrader is a Calvinist though (or was anyway). The Catholic elements of Taxi Driver and Raging Bull mostly come from Scorsese. Not that Scorsese didn't wrestle with his own demons of course.

Edit: It's probably no coincidence that Schrader's greatest idol is Robert Bresson, who was reportedly something of a horndog himself.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Aug 7, 2021