Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

Fly Molo posted:

Is Francis Coppola a rapist?

..oh gently caress, is Nick Cage a rapist?? :psyduck:

No, he's just bad with money. Good actor, great dad, not a sex pest, but NEVER let him be your accountant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'll never be able to wrap my head around Nic Cage and Johnny Depp running out of money despite having an ungodly amount of it. Depp more than Cage of course but still.

Best I can figure Nicolas cage just wants to buy all the things, no matter how dumb: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/09/why-nicholas-cage-blew-150-million-dollars-on-a-dinosaur-skull-and-two-castles.html

And honestly, is over spending any more immoral than hoarding wealth? Humanity has created a society that gives Nicolas Cage more money than he needs, is him immediately blowing that money on ridiculous stuff a worse thing to do than indefinitely storing it in an offshore account? I suppose you could argue that he has a moral responsibility redistribute his wealth more evenly, but why is a task that important left up to a single individual? The fact that Nicolas Cage actually spending the money he earns is seen as ridiculous is not so much a personal failing as it is a failure of capitalism as a whole for creating such an insane situation in the first place.

I haven't put as much thought into Johnny Depp and what his whole deal is.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

Groovelord Neato posted:

Owning 15 homes is stupid no matter how rich you are.

Yes it is, but here's the thing: whether or not Nicolas Cage owns 15 homes or 1 home doesn't change the fact that he has enough money to buy 15 homes in the first place. Either that money is being spent on houses or it's sitting in a bank account accumulating interest. By actually spending his money Nicolas Cage is, in theory, doing what is required for a capitalist society to function by putting that money back in the economy. This being seen as an abnormal situation is a glaring highlight of the inherent failure of capitalism. Certain individuals make such insane amounts of money that the only way to get rid of it all is to spend it CONSTANTLY on a bunch of ridiculous nonsense. Most people who make that much money don't do that, they instead hoard their wealth indefinitely. This is seen as normal.

The most hosed up part is that, in the grand scheme of thing, a dude like Nicolas Cage isn't even close to rich. 150 million dollars is chump change compared to what the 1% makes who are out there hoarding even more wealth than entire countries make in a year.

I've gone wildly off topic though, so I'll stop now.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

Skwirl posted:

We could try raising taxes on the ultra wealthy to pay for a halfway competent social safety net.

I'll see myself out.

I know I said I would stop, but yeah we really should try that. Probably should have been trying that for years now.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

I don't have much emotional attachment to Harry Potter left, but it's still a bummer to see JK Rowling being transphobic because seriously gently caress off with that poo poo.

Glad Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, and a ton of other actors are cool though.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

END ME SCOOB posted:

Did not know the first part of that, all I knew about that story was "she faked her own death and recorded her then-BF coming home to find her 'body'" and that's the audio she later used as interludes on an album.

Jesus, that's pretty hosed up. That's straight up emotional abuse right there.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

Nothing Taylor Swift has done compares to faking your own death, if that's true it's such an evil thing to do to someone.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

DrVenkman posted:

I didn't know that stuff came about about Taylor Swift and her old man. I know that's been the talk around Britney Spears for years though.

Britney Spears dad is a major league rear end in a top hat, he managed to weasel his way into controlling all of her money despite the fact she's now a 38 year old woman. She hates the dude and isn't on speaking terms with him, but legally he owns her. It's a creepy as Hell situation.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

I am instantly ready to believe any story of Justin Bieber being terrible, but wow that is an airtight alibi.

Edit:

Like, unless I'm missing something, which maybe I am, this is the first celebrity sexual assault allegation I've seen where it genuinely seems like the guy didn't do it. There is just an almost comical amount of evidence supporting his innocence here.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 22, 2020

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

All this talk about Rick Riordan and no mention of the The Lightning Thief musical? For shame!

Oh things couldn't be worse when your folks run the universe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCL0SWFqCdo

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

Sodomy Hussein posted:

"Johnny Depp is a giant waste who *gasp* spends a shitload of money on frivolous nonsense, unlike your favorite movie star" stories in the media left him vulnerable to someone taking advantage of that to win a PR war with him. That it's still not working says something.

Turns Heard is a really, really bad person and there's a lot of hard evidence of her being bad.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

What's even the point of that? That's way too perfectly framed, not to mention the movie they worked together on, to be a mistake.

Yeah it really does look like it was done on purpose (because why else would you have a restraining order just randomly laying around like that), but why would he do it in purpose? There was nothing he could have possibly gained from this, it's just bizarre.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

That makes all of this make a LOT more sense.

Anyway, Amy Seimetz's upcoming movie is called She Dies Tomorrow and it looks great.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 27, 2020

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Also there's the time Iron Maiden was invited to play Ozzfest and, as soon as they took the stage, Sharon cut their audio and started telling the audience to throw cans and bottles at them.

Sharon Osbourne sucks rear end, in other words

What the Hell, why did she do that?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

Skwirl posted:

I like Craig Ferguson, but

1) He quit, he wasn't fired. He's not coming back.
and
2) Maybe have literally anyone else than another straight white dude.

Think Aisha Tyler would be willing to leave who's line is it anyway for a late show?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

I hate this and I hate that I had to read about it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

Ego-bot posted:

Seeing a lot posts today like "Ellen was always kind to me": A wealthy and famous person.

This is pretty much just like saying water is wet, but I'd imagine that's very much an intentional thing on Ellen's part. Be really nice to and around people who you view as equals, and then treat your inferiors like poo poo.

I very much believe all these celebrities that say Ellen was always sweet to them and that they never saw her do a single thing bad. But that stuff isn't the issue, the issue is how she acted when celebrities weren't around and there's a lot of evidence that suggests she acted VERY poorly.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

Yeah, in retrospect this should have been a huge red flag.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

Sodomy Hussein posted:

P.S. I love that metalinjection has a subsection called metal crimes. It's a wild ride.

https://metalinjection.net/metal-crimes

Alan Smithee posted:

What the gently caress

Who new metal heads could be so messed up

To be fair, some of those aren't crimes committed by metal heads, but rather against metal heads.

Like this poor guy who says the Church of Scientology poisoned and killed his dog: https://metalinjection.net/metal-crimes/at-the-drive-in-frontman-alleges-church-of-scientology-poisoned-killed-his-dog which, given the churches track record, is pretty on brand for them.

Anyway, Marilyn Manson sucks.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey this is apparently extremely old news but my twitter feed is blowing up with refugees from Jared LEGOís private island sex cult and it sounds just absolutely hosed. I can play a couple of 30StM songs on guitar but wasnít a fan of this dude and heís a legit terrible actor, IMO, but I guess he made enough money to buy an island then have his rich fans fly to this island to become his groupie wives...

Oh God that's real? I heard about that a while ago but I thought it was a loving joke, just a "haha, that weirdo Jared Leto started a cult, how 2020 is that?" spoof story.

Alan Smithee posted:

https://twitter.com/plopfictionally/status/1297289184659378176?s=20

charles manson midsommar flavoraid drinking rear end motherfucker

and lol 30 secs actual posted it. Weirdos

Holy poo poo it's real. gently caress.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

My main take away from all this is that Netflix really needs a better warning system for their films, for content that's potentially emotionally triggering and also stuff that could trigger physical conditions.

I just watched 1BR recently, and while it's a great movie it also contains a scene that could potentially cause an epileptic seizure, and that's really something potentially viewers should be warned about ahead of time.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Unless the thumbnail and blurb that got passed around was fake I'm gonna say Netflix advertised it in a really skeevy way and it's not that surprising.

Yeah, Netflix intentionally did things that would make people outraged and then, well, people got outraged. I put the blame for this whole thing on them, frankly.

Snowman_McK posted:

The nature of streaming itself and its interface means that, no matter how good the algorithm is, a decent chunk of people who either aren't interested in the film or are horrified by it (rightly or wrongly) will be exposed to it and have it suggested to them. It's one thing to know the 'controversial foreign film' section exists in the video store, it's another to have the staff suggesting a film from it to you.

Again, this is why Netflix needs some sort of warning system on their movies, as to opposed to what they have now which is nothing.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

Phi230 posted:

Ok I'm very out of the loop and I'm afraid to look it up but what is Big Mouth and why is it pedo

It's a South Park style comedy cartoon show on Netflix.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

Phi230 posted:

So then whats the big deal about Big Mouth other than it being edgy. Is there some bad poo poo in it or what. Why are people talking about it

I dunno man, this thread has been heading in a weird direction lately so I've just been kind of skimming it, but if you've seen an episode of South Park or Family Guy or Rick and Morty then you pretty much know what Big Mouth is all about because there isn't anything in it that isn't in any of those other shows.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

davidspackage posted:

People openly admitted that they'd rather vote for a pedophile than a democrat. Instead of, ya know, not voting at all.

Because not voting meant the democrat might win.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

I feel increasingly bad for thinking Johnny Depp abused Amber Heard. The more that comes out the more obvious it is that yeah he was the clear victim.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

graventy posted:

Almost no one was actually 'cancelled' for #metoo, so why get so worked up about the one false accusation?

Because I feel personally guilty about having participated in the false accusation. I told it to other people, I called Depp a lovely person, I hosed up on this one. So, I dunno, I think I need to take some time to examine my own bias and not be so quick to give into mob mentality in the future, especially not over things I only have secondhand information on.

It's important to take responsibility for your mistakes and make an effort to understand why you made them, even small ones like jumping to conclusions about a celebrity based on things you've heard online. Because if you don't you're inevitability going to make that same mistake in the future, and you might make it in a bigger and more damaging way.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

wizardofloneliness posted:

Honestly, when it comes to people who have had their careers totally destroyed by #MeToo, only Spacey, Weinstein, and R. Kelly come to mind. Cosby too, but those allegations had been out there for years. It seems like most of the other guys just laid low for a while and then started back up again without too much trouble.

Does R. Kelly count? He openly sexually assaulted underage girls, among other terrible things, for over two decades. Was there anything that came out during #MeToo that wasn't already public knowledge?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's an extensive recent history of progressive movements being taken over and often irreparably damaged by obvious clout-chasing at the expense of actually accomplishing anything.

Yeah, the #MeToo movement started out as ordinary women speaking up about their experiences with sexual assault in order to show how tragically common the problem is in everyday life, and then somehow it morphed into just being about celebrities.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

Vagabundo posted:

Adding to this - apparently in UK law, the side accused of libel has to prove their truthfulness. The Sun did so, overwhelmingly.

But no, Depp stans, please do continue to insist Amber Heard is the literal Hitlerstalin based on an audio snippet released by Depp.

If you want to defend Amber Heard go ahead, but The Sun is a poo poo paper: https://www.quora.com/Why-is-The-Sun-newspaper-so-disliked-in-the-UK-is-there-a-specific-reason

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

Yeah, it's rarely just one.

Did not see this coming, mostly because LaBeouf has been off my radar for so long I kind of just forgot he was a thing.

Edit:

Rhyno posted:

Johnny Depp may or may not be an abuser but it is clear, he is a tremendously huge rear end in a top hat and that alone would have cost him his career eventually

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/f...df3yxShzmYsF4y4

"But the Minamata-type paydays won't keep the lights on in Depp's 14 homes."

So sell 13 of them and only keep the one that's cheapest.

Actually, he probably can keep like 4 of them, according to the article Minamata paid him 6 million dollars.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 14, 2020

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

Let's be real: 3 million is more than enough money to never have to work again, most people live their whole lives without making that much.

You can live an extremely affluent life with 3 million dollars.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

Skwirl posted:

Well you could, Depp's gonna blow that on booze in less than a month.

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Booze $3,000,000
Utility $150

Depp: Someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. My career is dying.

Everyone Else: Spend less on booze.

Depp: No.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

inferis posted:

I found a very funny article that proposes maybe child stars donít have to turn out hosed up and shia is in the very first sentence of the piece.

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/27/movies/is-child-stardom-no-longer-a-life-sentence.html?referringSource=articleShare

This article is so wrong about everything it reads like an parody article from the past intentionally written to be wrong.

It's like something The Onion would write for Our Dumb Century: https://www.theonion.com/c/our-dumb-century

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

DrVenkman posted:

Like, I'm not going to kinkshame someone for being into BDSM, which Hammer clearly is. But my understanding is that these leaks maybe came from something more serious though I'm not sure how substantiated that is.

Was it consensuel or non-consensual BDSM? Because that makes a big difference.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

bewilderment posted:

In seriousness a lot of these tweets are focusing on the 'icky blood cannibalism' aspects (which makes for a better headline) and his partners saying "Yes daddy I'm here for you" but aren't showing the actual manipulation going on.

Yeah, I don't really care about someone having weird fetishes, what I want to know (and what I'm having trouble telling from the news articles) is if he was abusive in real life.

Consenting adults role playing a fantasy is fine, but actual physical/emotional abuse is not.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

New Super Metis posted:

https://twitter.com/mymonsterischic/status/1349931213117681664

This thread and the one she QRTed has collected a lot of the allegations against Armie Hammer. It's very disturbing.

Yup, this is a bad dude. Not just a pretend bad, a real life bad dude who exploits and abuses women.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

Alan Smithee posted:

I still think Bowling was a good conversation starter at the right time

My main problem with Bowling for Columbine is that it left out how both of the shooters were white supremists who did the shooting on Hitler's birthday and intentionally targeted students of color.

Racism was a HUGE part of the reason why they did what they did, and Michael Moore just completely loving ignored that.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

Skwirl posted:

Not to try and dismiss the huge number of crimes R Kelly committed, but if you compare the color of their skin you should be able to figure it out.

There is so much racism in America and it hurts so many people in so many ways, but don't say things like this about R. Kelly. There are millions of black men and women in jail you can say (accurately) are only there because of their skin color and if they were white they would have gone free, but not R. Kelly.

R. Kelly spent over a decade openly abusing underage girls, despite massive amounts of hard evidence showing that he was doing so. I get were you're coming from, but don't say poo poo like this about R. Kelly specifically.

Like, homophobia is also a huge problem in America, but Kevin Spacey didn't just get busted because he was gay. He got busted because he victimized many people for decades and was allowed to do so despite lots of people knowing what he was doing because he made and had lots of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

Hic puer est

I haven't been paying attention to anything going on with the Justice League movie, but Ray Fisher seems like a cool dude and I hope good things happen to him.

https://people.com/movies/ray-fisher-says-hes-forever-grateful-to-charisma-carpenter-for-speaking-out-against-joss-whedon/