Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Well, that was a horrifying thing to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Okay but this proves gently caress all. This person was not involved in the incident in question.

Also, "This isn't how child molesters operate" is a bullshit claim, especially when it's made in regards to a man who married an underage girl he raised as his daughter and had a long term affair with another underage girl: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/woody-allens-secret-teen-lover-manhattan-muse-speaks-1169782

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Frank Sinatra divorced Mia Farrow because she wouldn't immediately quit Rosemary's Baby halfway through production and come work on a different movie he decided he wanted to film. So, you know, that was a pretty dick move too.

From What I've read Mai Farrow, Woody Allen, and Frank Sinatra were all pretty terrible people (though only Woody Allen is a child molester).

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Alan Smithee posted:

what's the main takeaway for those who haven't watched Neverland

Michael Jackson 100% sexually assaulted children.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Cacator posted:

I've been watching Allen v Farrow but this article popped up in The Guardian today which is fairly defensive of Allen but does make points that the series is omitting a lot of details that would make Mia come off as a lot worse than she does and makes the whole situation about Dylan more ambiguous.

Holy poo poo, it's the same person. I remember reading one of these articles years ago and thinking it was bullshit back then, and it's all still bullshit today.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Remulak posted:

Game show host WITH HIS MOM!

The Riverdale story is crazy. lovely news programs have car service, why not goddamn money factories like that show?

It's inexcusable. Acting is hard work, and when you're doing that poo poo 15 hours a day you're going to be exhausted. The studios should be required by law to provide transportation.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

DrVenkman posted:

There's some pretty damning stuff in there, and the Paul Williams story deserves to be heard more (and thankfully more people are now talking about it) but I do wish the documentary was better made. Anything talking about this movies and stuff is a little questionable in parts and outright wrong in others.

Film critics talking about how Allen 'normalised' these kinds of relationships through his movies to the American public as though half the nation was rolling out to see INTERIORS. Or most recently the amazing claim that his movies were bringing so much money to New York that Dinkins was just a phone call away to Allen like he's putting everything on hold for the Director of ZELIG. It feels like it wants to portray Allen as some Tinseltown power player at times but it feels sloppy.

The gently caress is this poo poo? How old are you? Woody Allen was one of the most well known, influential, and well connected directors for decades. Yeah his star has faded in modern times because of the whole marrying his daughter thing, but that dude was absolutely a power player for a long time.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Crosswell posted:

Yeah and Thank Heaven (for little girls) is a simple and sweet song that I neither particularly like nor dislike. There’s a lot of lovely teenage groupie sex anthems but you guys sure picked some odd targets.

I dunno, in retrospect that entire musical is kind of creepy. Gigi is about a girl being groomed to be a mistress, and the happy ending is her marrying a significantly older man. There's something really unsettling about the whole thing.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'd never heard of this before, how loving terrifying. Sabrina, the girl he didn't give up on (literally discarding a child because she's not shaping up to be a good wife jfc) has a whole wiki page with a lot of horrible details, like the fact that Day was basically a short-tempered incel who wanted a wife that was both demure and ascetic but also able to discuss literature and science and philosophy, or, uh:

Holy Hell this is horrifying.

This also made me realize why I find Gigi such an uncomfortable film. The movie presents a horrifying concept (child grooming) as something light hearted. It's like making a romantic comedy about the life of Ted Bundy.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Also it's extremely funny to me that Shaw hated the idea of Higgins and Eliza ending up together at the end so much that he later wrote an epilogue describing in detail why they should not get married, but even in the initial run the producers changed his original ending, and then every adaptation has had them as an item at the end.

See, I can totally see Shaw's point here. However, I can also understand why the audience would want them to get together because most of the play is spent watching these two characters interact in fun ways.

Sometimes the author's intention doesn't always come through in a work and the audience just sees what they want to see.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ImpAtom posted:

It's intentional but the way Freddy went from the villain to what about to the guy you're expected to cheer for makes it a whole lot more uncomfortable in bad ways.

This is a really dumb take.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

exquisite tea posted:

The fun kills were already there in Dream Warriors. Welcome to primetime, bitch!

The simple explanation is that the series evolved over time from straightforward horror into horror comedy. When the reboot tried to return Freddy back to his pedophile roots everybody loving hated it.

It's also a matter of having something be subtext vs. it being actual text. A lot of horror movies, either intentionally or unintentionally, have themes that invoke a real world fear on a subconscious level. Texas Chain Saw Massacre draws pretty clear parallels to the meat processing industry and how horrifying it would be to get treated the way we treat cattle, It Follows pretty well captures the fear of STD's and being trapped in a relationship you don't want, and Predator is all about that intimidating guy at the gym who's way buffer than you. None of this stuff is ever said out loud, but it's there and it all helps create a certain subtle mood that makes the overt horror more effective.

With the original Nightmare on Elm Street the real world fear they're trying to invoke is that of a sexual predator: You have a dangerous man who attacks teens at their most vulnerable moments and a bunch of useless adults who would rather cover the crime up and pretend it didn't happen instead of actually explain to their kids what's happening so they could protect themselves. Again, it's never said out loud, but the theme is there. The sequels slowly drifted away from subtly invoking this theme and instead focused more on increasingly elaborate dream kills and Robert Englund being delightfully hammy, which is fine. With slashers the serious version of the story is usually told in the first movie, and then the sequels get increasingly weird and comedic (This didn't happen with Friday the 13th though because those movies were stupid nonsense right from the beginning, and I say that with love. Jason rulz 4ever.).

However, then the 2010 remake of Nightmare on Elm Street tries to break away from the comedic tone of the sequels and instead be more "serious" and "dark" and part of the way in which they try to achieve this is by turning the "Freddy is a sexual predator" subtext into text. This was not a good idea. See, when you take a theme that was only implied before and state it out loud it completely changes the tone of the film. Now this subtle mood setter is an actual part of story and the plot is forced to confront it directly, something the 2010 remake of Nightmare on Elm street is totally incapable of doing in a competent way. So instead of a subconscious invoking of fear what you now get is a bunch of clunky uncomfortable scenes where the movie essentially turns to the audience and says "Hey, child molestation" which is jarring and distracts from the horror rather than adding to it.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 13, 2021

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

sexpig by night posted:

oh my bad I don't think I ever saw the remake so I dunno if they do something dumb there

The remake is exactly like the original except instead of cool and terrifying practical effects they have bad looking CGI, and also there's no Robert Englund, also they make Freddy being a child molester more explicate.

Basically just take out all of the things that made the original enjoyable and replace it with bad stuff. You made the right choice never watching it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Good. gently caress that dude.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, it took a couple days, but I think it's fine to take a couple days to investigate if you're actually investigating and not just paying someone to pretend to investigate while actually their main job is giving you plausible reasons to not fire someone.

Agreed. I'm fine with these things taking time as long as stuff is really being done.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Snowman_McK posted:

This story has been the first one to really bum me out due to who it affected (they're all depressing stories, obviously) Stanley had such a surprising comeback story. And it turns out he's a loving monster. gently caress that guy.

It does indeed feel lovely to have cheered on someone who ended up being awful. It creates this weird feeling of guilt by association, even if you never actually knew the person and there's no way you could have known what was going on.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel like that's part of the reason you get so much awful doubling down from people trying to drown out their guilt.

Oh that's absolutely a part of it. Denial feels good and accepting the truth feels bad so often people dive head first into denial when confronted with an unpleasant reality. Avoiding negative emotions is easier than going through the work of processing them, even though long term that's what's healthier.

I think a lot of that comes from a lack of emotional intelligence, and I don't mean that as an insult. People are for the most part not taught how to deal with their feelings, which creates a lot of serious problems when people lash out or react in destructive ways to negative experiences because they don't know appropriate was to handle what they're going through. Like, I'm not trying to excuse those kind of behaviors, just explain why they happen.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

AceOfFlames posted:

Aaaaand it looks like Dan Avidan of Game Grumps has been accused of grooming.

There are no good men. They are all rapists. This is what our species has always been. Decent men are aberrations. God loving drat it.

Welp. This sucks. This is another "I supported a creep" situation for me.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

HopperUK posted:

I think there is a conversation to be had around which of these monsters get slapped down immediately versus which don't. Like, Kevin Spacey was booted out of public life almost instantly and I can't help feeling like the only reason it happened so fast and so thoroughly (which, GOOD) is that he preyed on at least one little boy, so he's GAY which is extra disgusting to a certain sort of person. Whereas people who prey on girls - look at how Roman Polanski still gets defended. It's repulsive.

Bryan Singer is still free and doing stuff though so preying on young boys isn't always a career killer.

I'll be honest: I have no idea why some accusations of sexual abuse can put an end to a person's career and others everyone is just cool with. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it, the victims gender and race don't always seem to matter, the amount of victims doesn't always seem to matter, even the severity of the crimes doesn't seem to matter.

It's a total crapshoot whether the rest of society decides to care about this stuff.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

https://twitter.com/RhyeRhythm/status/1374105625362325511?s=20

So apparently Dan might not be guilty of grooming. Like, I dunno, the internet is hard place to get to the truth of things sometimes.

Just thought it might be good to throw this out there, unless it's wrong in which case I apologize for spreading misinformation. I have a very limited grasp on what's going on.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bust Rodd posted:

Is this one of those situations where someone used abuse language like “gaslighting” to describe a totally normal relationship and try to make someone who was maybe just a jerk into a sexual predator?

It's actually weirder than that:

Apparently this whole thing started because there's a group of online Nazis who are still pissed about Jontron not being on the show anymore so they intentionally try to create rumors and allegations discrediting anyone associated with Game Grumps. So it's a bunch of right wing weirdos intentionally faking a case of sexual abuse because they're pissed about some let's players being "too woke" ("too woke" in this case means "not a Nazi")

Like I said, I have very limited information and was unaware of any Game Grumps drama until now, but the stuff I'm hearing has been pretty wild :

https://twitter.com/R_X_Queen/status/1373822528049778689?s=20

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Chris James 2 posted:

https://twitter.com/moviessilently/status/1376206852040445953?s=21

edit: I don't know if this is particularly new news, but it was part of the reason Fraser's trending on Twitter currently, the rest of the trend is showing near-unanimous support for Fraser and people nostalgic for him/his work

Brendan Fraser is great and it's heart breaking that he got so screwed over by a bunch of evil assholes.

I'm glad things are going better for him now (He's got two upcoming movies and he's great on Doom Patrol), but he never should have had to go through that bad poo poo at all.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Boywhiz88 posted:

Also, some days I really do think he killed his wife. Out of maybe wanting to be out of the relationship, and maybe of out jealousy of Michelle's inevitable climb to true-crime fame after she inevitably solved it.

What the gently caress? This certainly came out of nowhere.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Just absolutely insane. Scott Rudin is a piece of poo poo.

Scott Rudin is a disgrace and should not be allowed to work with humans.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Cancel Culture can't actually cancel poo poo.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Skwirl posted:

George Clooney beat the poo poo out of him while filming Three Kings because Russell was mistreating an extra.

Good for George Clooney.

MacheteZombie posted:

wow in 2014 the "she wanted it" gross rear end deflection still worked.

Just reading that article made me feel sick.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Desperado Bones posted:

Supposedly -according his rear end in a top hat dad- she can ask to be removed from the conservatorship at any moment. The thing is, she can't choose her lawyer and she is being forced to go through psychiatric evaluation. By probably a doctor that the father will choose.

Is loving abuse and corruption, and a very sick individual who enjoys being in control.

I'm sorry for not being neutral, but it's loving disgusting what is happening.

This really isn't a case that warrants neutrality, on one side you have a woman who wants to have control over her own life and body and on the other side you have a man who has been exploiting her for profit for decades and wants to continue to abuse her for financial gain.

Her father is an evil man and that he's been able to have legal control over his daughter for all these years is hosed up and awful.

Bust Rodd posted:

This is one of those situations that is so transparently hosed up and evil that I feel like there must be some huge piece of the puzzle that I am not getting because it can’t possibly be this blatantly insane, forced by a judge to not have babies because your father has enslaved you to do shows in Vegas five nights a week or you lose the ability to see your kids? What? How?

Remember when Ms. Spears had a mental breakdown which, in retrospect, was a pretty reasonable reaction to the amount of pressure she was under and the stress of being forced to preform? Well, the courts decided that the best way to handle this was to give total control of her life over to a man who would put even more pressure on her and continue to force her to preform indefinitely.

The missing piece is this: Society as a whole has very little compassion for women, the mentally ill, and especially women suffering from any kind of mental illness.

Edit:
Oh, and of course she's wanted out of this arrangement for years but the insane amount of control he had on her made it nearly impossible to escape: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/22/arts/music/britney-spears-conservatorship.html

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 24, 2021

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

thrawn527 posted:

In related, "gently caress Fox News", uh...news.

What the gently caress, dude?

What the gently caress, other dude?

If this ends up being true then our legal system is a horrible joke.

Edit:

"A woman in a traumatic situation appears traumatized by her situation, clearly the best thing to do is leave her there forever."

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 25, 2021

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

LividLiquid posted:

What really gets me about this whole thing is that if this can happen to a rich, famous, attractive white woman and she has no recourse, what the gently caress chance does anybody else in that situation have?

Oh it is TERRIFYING what the laws allow. Basically everything in our legal system related to the treatment of the mentally ill or anyone with any kind of mental process that deviates from the norm should be entirely rewritten. None of it was designed to protect or help neural divergent people, just to make it easier to either strip away their rights or dispose of them.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

graventy posted:

It's super cool that I can basically bribe a prosecutor to agree not to charge me and then I can never be charged for that crime. That's the only message I'm taking from this.

Yup! Our legal system has deep flaws that the rich exploit so that they can openly commit crimes without free of any sort of punishment ever!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Chris James 2 posted:

https://twitter.com/alexsalvinews/status/1410395332769464323

Continuing the poo poo day in stride, and I'm confident skwirl and company will defend this insanity too for some reason

Our legal system is a loving joke.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The truth is this: a pedophile can look like literally anyone. They come in all shapes and sizes and there's no one trait that unifies them. Same with rapists and people who commit other forms of sexual abuse.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Trying to read through this article made me too angry to finish, but if anyone strong than me was able to make it through I have a question I'd like answered:

What the ever loving gently caress was this "experiment" trying to prove exactly?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Really doesn't seem like a coincidence a lot of the kids here are mentioned as nonwhite, from poor families and/or disabled, either.

From what little I read I agree.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

HopperUK posted:

I looked at the scientist's wikipedia entry. He thought early sexual contact was beneficial for children and that there was nothing wrong with non-violent paedophilia.

Thank you, I hate knowing this but I'm still glad you told me.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Men, especially rich men, "dating" underaged girls was a normalized thing until very recently. Hell, a distressingly large number of people still don't see it as a problem.

I'm not trying to defend that, and I'm certainly not trying to say that makes it okay, but for many decades a twenty or thirty or forty or fifty year old man having a sixteen year old girlfriend was just something society as a whole was okay with.

And, like, what could you even do if you weren't okay with it? Call the cops? They're not going to arrest a rich guy in the 90's, and they still rarely do that now.

It is, again, only recently that most (but not all) people have started seeing this is a problem. Mostly because social media has given the women that it was done to when they were underage teens a platform to say "Hey, this sucked for me actually and I don't want it to happen to anyone else." And thank loving God for that.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Alan Smithee posted:

How is he real

He’s a snitch

Yeah, the first time things got real he immediately started naming names to the cops and sold out everyone he could to save himself.

He's only real in the sense that he's a real pedophile and a real piece of sh-

edogawa rando posted:

Yeah, he's real alright. He's a real piece of poo poo.

....damnit I wanted to be the first person to say that...

Seriously though, he sucks as a person.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s because nobody gives a poo poo about black women and girls, if you read or watch anything about R Kelly the underlying issue at stake is that, it doesn’t matter how gruesome or hosed up something is, if the victim is a black women then huge swathes of the population just fully check out and put their blinders up.

I just remember one of Kelly’s girlfriends mothers giving an interview like “I call the police, I call the newspaper, I say my baby has been kidnapped, she can’t call me, she can’t leave, she ain’t eating… nothing! It’s on the front page of the drat newspaper and nothing!”

I mean how many black women came forward about Cosby before the white Swedish model came out and suddenly it’s in court…

Hey, I agree with you that black women are unfairly discriminated against in a bunch of ways and the pain inflicted on them is all too often ignored and that's reprehensible, but that little dismissive dig you threw in right at the end of your post was really loving lovely.

Billy Cosby raped women for decades, black women and white women, and it took over 60 of them accusing them in court for anything to be done about it. It wasn't just "oh one white woman spoke up and now suddenly people care" it was a long hard battle for every woman involved that only happened after years of pain and struggle.

Oh, and just to pour even more salt in the wounds, he's not even in jail anymore so gently caress you every victim he abused.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

PeterCat posted:

Call what what what is?

I didn't say anything racist I said I don't see what was racist about Ken Jennings tweet.

And he didn't say Asian people have weird eyes he said Olivia Wilde has weird eyes.

I strongly suggest you just take the L and stop responding to posts related to the bad thing you said. I get that it was said out of ignorance and not malice, but it absolutely was bad and the reason it was bad is because it was racist. Just accept it and move forward as a better human being who has learned and grown as a person.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

DrVenkman posted:

The hip-hop world has a bigger problem with someone being Gay than they do abusers and predators.

This is, unfortunately, true for a lot of organizations many of which are widely supported and extremely powerful (case in point: the Catholic church). Heck, until very recently it was the norm pretty much everywhere for two adults having a loving consensual relationship to be seen has more depraved and taboo than sexually assaulting a minor.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s one of the many reasons you should all support Lil Nas X in his quest to destroy the heteronormative rap paradigm and drive religious conservatives completely insane

Yes! One of the other reasons is because his music is good!

I really respect Lil Nas X and everything he does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

R.Kelly is still a hosed up monster, just in case your forgot: https://www.avclub.com/r-kellys-trial-is-underway-heres-everything-you-need-1847546044

God, it's so hosed up he got acquitted the first time he was accused of sexually assaulting minors despite there being video evidence.