Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The thing I keep coming back to is how there are so many amazing actresses who just completely drop off the radar and you end up thinking years later, "What happened to her? Why hasn't she been in any good movies lately" and then all this comes out and you have the answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

John Lasseter of Pixar the latest to be accused:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/john-lasseters-pattern-alleged-misconduct-detailed-by-disney-pixar-insiders-1059594

quote:

Sources say some women at Pixar knew to turn their heads quickly when encountering him to avoid his kisses. Some used a move they called “the Lasseter” to prevent their boss from putting his hands on their legs. A longtime insider says he saw a woman seated next to Lasseter in a meeting that occurred more than 15 years ago.

“She was bent over and [had her arm] across her thigh,” he says. “The best I can describe it is as a defensive posture ... John had his hand on her knee, though, moving around.” After that encounter, this person asked the woman about what he had seen. “She said it was unfortunate for her to wear a skirt that day and if she didn’t have her hand on her own right leg, his hand would have travelled.”

The same source said he once noticed an oddly cropped photo of Lasseter standing between two women at a company function. When he mentioned that to a colleague, he was told, “We had to crop it. Do you know where his hands were?”

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Agreed, and that's what this memo re firing Charlie Rose from CBS says:

"What once may have been accepted should never have been acceptable."

https://twitter.com/farhip/status/933024520486703104

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Barry Convex posted:

Lasseter kinda puts Brenda Chapman's firing from Brave in a different light, no?

Like with so many of these stories, it explains a whole lot about the trajectory of women's careers in Hollywood.

(And in most fields, of course)

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Exactly. Weinstein had a woman pretend to be Rose McGowan's friend for over a year in order to find out what she was saying to journalists. What Crews is saying is entirely possible.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Top Gun posted:

It's funny that everyones jumping into their usual political camps over the Gunn firing instead of my objectively correct and apolitical opinion

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Sexual harrassment at CBS: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/08/06/les-moonves-and-cbs-face-allegations-of-sexual-misconduct

quote:

Thirty current and former employees of CBS told me that such behavior extended from Moonves to important parts of the corporation, including CBS News and “60 Minutes,” one of the network’s most esteemed programs. During Moonves’s tenure, men at CBS News who were accused of sexual misconduct were promoted, even as the company paid settlements to women with complaints. It isn’t clear whether Moonves himself knew of the allegations, but he has a reputation for being closely involved in management decisions across the network. Some of the allegations, such as those against the former anchor Charlie Rose, as reported by the Washington Post, have already become public. Other claims are being reported here for the first time. Nineteen current and former employees told me that Jeff Fager, the former chairman of CBS News and the current executive producer of “60 Minutes,” allowed harassment in the division. “It’s top down, this culture of older men who have all this power and you are nothing,” one veteran producer told me. “The company is shielding lots of bad behavior.”

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

She did an interview with Vanity Fair that's pretty sad in that she doesn't feel like she has the support of her co-stars or anyone involved in the film

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/09/olivia-munn-the-predator-response-speaking-out?mbid=social_twitter

quote:

Munn has been working in Hollywood for over a decade, with recent roles in blockbusters like X-Men: Apocalypse and Ocean’s 8, but said that her recent experience has made her consider leaving the industry behind altogether. “I love being an actor, but if it comes at this cost, who wants it? Who cares? I’m so much more than who I am as an actor, and so many other things going on in my life. I love it, but they can take it, if that’s what it comes down to.”

I really feel for her. What an awful situation to be put in, to be the one to take it to the studio and have to bear the responsibility.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I don't think she's trying to make herself seem a victim at all, nor is she "trashing" Black. She's frustrated about a lovely situation she was forced into, and now is not getting any support for being the only person to take any action, so she's talking about that when she's asked.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1039935544564695040

https://twitter.com/koblin/status/1040008144599101440

a whole lot of Wow!!! in these tweets!!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

https://slate.com/culture/2019/01/leaving-neverland-review-michael-jackson-documentary-sundance-abuse.html

quote:

When the Sundance premiere of Leaving Neverland hit its intermission, it was difficult to imagine what could possibly be left. In the first two hours of Dan Reed’s documentary, Wade Robson and James Safechuck had already recounted in exacting detail their memories of how Michael Jackson sexually abused them when they were children: how, they said, he groomed them and their parents until the boys were allowed to sleep over in his bedroom alone;(spoiler bars for explicit description of sexual abuse) how he began with a touch on the thigh and moved on to their crotches, reaching inside their pajamas to fondle their genitals and telling them to follow suit on his own body; how he instructed them to spread their buttocks so he could see their anuses as he masturbated to completion. If that was only half the story, what horrors could the movie’s second half hold?

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 28, 2019

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

DrVenkman posted:

I've been pretty dubious about this documentary, mainly because Wade Robson is...somewhat of a character. He spent years telling people how innocent Jackson was before he had a breakdown (which he says was due to being obsessed with being successful) then when his career fell apart he tried shopping a book about being abused which went nowhere. Then when that didn't work he filed a 1.5 billion dollar lawsuit which got dismissed. Then he appeared in the documentary.

Even the director of the documentary admitted he didn't interview anyone else, which seems odd given the accusitory nature of it.

Well it's not just Robson who's interviewed in the documentary, it's also James Safechuck. And the issues you're talking about seem to be dealt with in the film in some regard anyway:

quote:

The greatest hurdle Leaving Neverland has to clear is explaining why Robson and Safechuck are coming forward now and alleging acts that they have previously denied, including during their testimonies in defense of Jackson against other accusers. (Jackson’s estate has issued statements after the premiere denying all charges against him, calling the fallout a “public lynching” and saying in part, “The entire film hinges solely on the word of two perjurers.”) When Jackson was sued for sexual abuse in 1993, Robson, then 11, appeared at a press conference to say that he and Jackson had slept in the same bed without incident, and when criminal charges were filed against Jackson in 2005, Robson was called as a witness for the defense. Some reports in 2013, when Robson came forth with allegations of his own, suggested he had repressed the memories of what happened to him, but he made clear from that time on that that was never the case. He knew both times that he was lying; in 1993, Robson and Jackson still had a sexual relationship. But he says now he was simply unable to deal with the consequences of telling the truth and, even in his early 20s, afraid of severing his last remaining tie to the pop star he idolized and even loved.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Jackson may have been perfectly fine to those particular child actors, but abused other children. He (or his estate) may have cultivated good relationships in order to cover up his abuses, in fact. That's not at all unheard of.

In any case, going by the review, that documentary goes into detail about why the two accusers have denied it or stayed quiet in the past. It should be worth a watch when it comes out for wider release.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

yeah this is the latest on it and yikes

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1096919646207381513

Still not a lot of information out there though so it may change more.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

This is a good video on the widespread use of sexual violence against men as a joke in Hollywood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc6QxD2_yQw

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Does philanthropy absolve a person of any and all bad things they might have done, though?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Also on a different note, Unbelievable on Netflix is an incredibly good TV show about the true story of a young girl who was raped and not believed by the police, until detectives in another state began investigating a similar crime. Very much worth a watch.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t think anyone gains anything at all by looking at the world in terms of Black and White this way.

I think if we’re looking at two ugly tweets and a dumb soundbite in one hand and a better quality of life for literally millions of children in the other that’s a much more reasonable conversation than basically anyone else discussed in this thread.

Good things and bad things don’t cancel each other out, but I think doing a small handful of relatively benign bad things (bad jokes made in poor taste and an ignorant statement made during a radio interview) shouldn’t completely invalidate all the good things he’s done for the world.

You realise though that you are basically making this argument in reverse?

"Kevin Hart donated huge amounts of money to the Philadelphia school system, therefore people shouldn't criticise his homophobic sentiments."

It's frustrating to read your posts in this thread because although you're arguing against black and white thinking, your own thinking is incredibly black and white.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I went to a Hannah Gadsby show where she had everyone put their phones in those locked pocket things, but she said it wasn't about recording or anything but that she just got completely distracted when she saw the lights from people using their phones in the audience, which I totally get, since I always go crazy in cinemas when people are on their phones.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

There's a lot of jokes out there about Leonardo DiCaprio, who has basically never dated a woman older than the age of 25. I definitely think the overvaluing of youthful women is part of the culture of Hollywood that deserves to be examined.

Not saying anything about that particular relationship just posted, but it does exist in a particular context.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

kaworu posted:

Hey guys, I just wanted to post the following article (even though it's a couple weeks old) about the MIT professor who was defending Epstein

Students Are Demanding MIT Fire a Professor Who Visited Epstein in Prison
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ne8yvk/students-are-demanding-mit-fire-a-professor-who-visited-epstein-in-prison

A personal note about this particular article: my younger sister was among the few students at MIT who dropped his class because of the way he chose to handle this issue with his students, and she ended up writing an op-ed in MIT's student newspaper. This article quotes her extensively, both from the op-ed and in other comments.

I gotta say, I was pretty drat surprised and shocked when I read it - my sister and I haven't talked much lately (not out of dislike, we just both have fairly busy lives and live in different places and have a 13-year age gap) so I was very shocked and surprised to see this article! I actually checked to make sure it hadn't been posted by someone else.

I really can't quite say just quite how much pride I felt (and still feel) at what she did in terms of speaking out. The fact that she was the only single student or teacher in the entire goddamn university who stood up in the first place and actually said publicly, "Hey, this really is not cool, and here's why it's not cool." It's just seriously brave to do that, and she's smart enough to understand why most people (victims of sexual assault especially) would be unable or unwilling to stand up like that. Not to mention having the confidence to do it in the first place, and articulate her point at all. But really - I don't think I could possibly feel any more proud of her at all, even if I'm just her older brother.

Thanks for sharing that! Lots of respect to your sister for speaking out the way she has.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It's unsurprising about Beauvoir since she herself had relationships with teenagers as an adult woman, together with Jean-Paul Sartre.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

it came out during the filming of Cats that Taylor Swift is pretty much owned as property by her dad, who forced Tom Hooper to include the catnip orgy scene because it made her "sexier"

Taylor Swift's life is an absolute rabbit-hole of staggeringly awful that nobody wants to go down

Sorry this is from a couple days ago, but this is a really wild leap to make from the story that was told:

quote:

And so in the middle of this meeting, Dad just pipes up and says, ‘Hey, I got an idea. What if you had a scene where they are all at the Jellicle Ball and they all get catnipped so they all just start going crazy?’

Tom Hooper goes, ‘What’s catnipped?’

All of us are like, ‘You don’t know what catnip is?’ We start pulling up all these YouTube videos of cats on catnip.

Tom looks at Dad and goes, ‘That’s going to be in the movie. That’s exactly what we’re going to do.’ So my dad walks around going, ‘Hey, I’m the reason there’s catnip in the scene.’

There is absolutely nothing about it making Swift sexier, nothing about her being 'property' and nothing about Hooper being forced to use that idea and I have no idea where you got any of that from. I think it's important not to make salacious assumptions about complete strangers when there is zero evidence behind it.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

How did Tom Hooper not know what that was.

Yeah that's the real question. And they chose that man to direct Cats??

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Skwirl posted:

I don't think Depp ever actually hit her.

Sorry, you don't think? Is that based on anything, or are you just throwing that out there as a feeling?

From the Guardian:

quote:

Heard said Depp, after drinking heavily, had thrown objects at her, slapped her in the face and then kicked her in the back, causing her to fall over. He threw his boot at her on the floor, and passed out in the toilet. Denying the account, Depp said he had given her a “playful tap on the bottom with his foot”, and when she reacted badly, he took a pillow to the toilet and slept there. The judge said “this was more than a playful tap”.

While detoxing from painkiller dependency on his private island, Depp was said to have pushed Heard to the ground, slapped her, grabbed her by the hair and kicked a door so hard it splintered. The judge concluded it was “more likely than not he pushed Heard on at least one occasion”.

Over three days in Australia filming Pirates of the Caribbean, Depp was said to have put Heard “in fear of her life”. Heard claimed he had assaulted her multiple times. He severed his fingertip and scrawled graffiti in his blood on the walls. The judge did not accept Heard had been responsible for the severed fingertip through throwing a vodka bottle at Depp. He accepted Heard had been the victim of “sustained and multiple assaults”.

Heard said Depp had hit her “hard and repeatedly” before trying to push her sister down the stairs. The judge accepted Depp had assaulted Heard. Heard admitted hitting Depp, but the judge accepted it had been in defence of her sister.

Heard sounded nasty in that recording, but I don't know why led everyone to completely dismiss her allegations. Sometimes, a person who has abused can act like a piece of poo poo! Doesn't mean her claims were false.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

All I have disagreed with about the Depp case in here is a person saying "Depp never hit Heard," despite a judge ruling that yes, he did. That doesn't exclude Heard from hitting or otherwise abusing him in return, but you have to understand that just as Heard released information to the press to discredit Depp or paint him in a particular light, that tape recording was released by Depp and his lawyers to discredit Heard, and should be assessed in that light.

It is clearly a very messy case.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

you're seeing a lot of non-MRA people pivot to that because the poo poo that came out from Heard was really, really loving awful, far beyond anything we've heard from or about Depp. it's kind of hard to support a monster against a drunk idiot.

Posting again what I posted two pages ago, from the Guardian:

quote:

Heard said Depp, after drinking heavily, had thrown objects at her, slapped her in the face and then kicked her in the back, causing her to fall over. He threw his boot at her on the floor, and passed out in the toilet. Denying the account, Depp said he had given her a “playful tap on the bottom with his foot”, and when she reacted badly, he took a pillow to the toilet and slept there. The judge said “this was more than a playful tap”.

While detoxing from painkiller dependency on his private island, Depp was said to have pushed Heard to the ground, slapped her, grabbed her by the hair and kicked a door so hard it splintered. The judge concluded it was “more likely than not he pushed Heard on at least one occasion”.

Over three days in Australia filming Pirates of the Caribbean, Depp was said to have put Heard “in fear of her life”. Heard claimed he had assaulted her multiple times. He severed his fingertip and scrawled graffiti in his blood on the walls. The judge did not accept Heard had been responsible for the severed fingertip through throwing a vodka bottle at Depp. He accepted Heard had been the victim of “sustained and multiple assaults”.

Heard said Depp had hit her “hard and repeatedly” before trying to push her sister down the stairs. The judge accepted Depp had assaulted Heard. Heard admitted hitting Depp, but the judge accepted it had been in defence of her sister.

Depp threw a phone at Heard, allegedly smashed items, and kicked a hole in a door at their apartment. After this, Heard filed a petition for the dissolution of her marriage and applied for a domestic restraining order against him. The judge said: “There is evidence which I find compelling of witnesses who saw Ms Heard with injuries to her face and who took photographs of these.”

These allegations are also really loving awful. Heard sounded pretty cruel in that recording, but beyond the cruelty of these allegations? Why does that make Heard a "monster" and Depp merely "a drunk idiot"? What's the difference, in your mind?

I know the answer is that people think Heard is making these allegations up, but given that a judge has upheld the truth of the events to a civil standard, I think that's highly unlikely. It doesn't make Heard a saint, but I do think she was abused by Johnny Depp.

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 12, 2020

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Again, in England. There's a reason 'I'll sue you in England!' was in that one South Park episode about Scientology.

I think you have this the wrong way, defamation law in England tends to be in the favour of the person making the suit, ie it should have been in favour of Johnny Depp, so the fact that he lost despite that is significant.

This was a contributing factor to how Savile got away with his sexual abuse for so long even though everyone knew -- media organisations were afraid of libel cases.

edit: unless this is what you were pointing out, I just realised your post could be read either agreeing with Vagabundo or disagreeing with him.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The legal standard for proof is much higher in a criminal case, so there's also a greater risk that he wouldn't be convicted. This way she's more likely to get a judge to say he did do all these things, even if the money isn't of great concern to her. It's similar to Heard & Depp in that way.

Of course none of us know exactly why she's taken it to a civil suit rather than criminal, but these are all possible reasons that make it an easier and more effective route to take.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/mymonsterischic/status/1349931213117681664

This thread and the one she QRTed has collected a lot of the allegations against Armie Hammer. It's very disturbing.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

LionArcher posted:

https://twitter.com/sunflxwervolsix/status/1518706417548640256?s=20&t=cu4gswX1MGe_61VlwCzW5g

from what I can tell (I've watched Hassan's coverage of the trail) she is clearly a terrible person you would never want to date. But, Depp could easily have also been lovely to her. If both parties are abusive, what's the discussion around that lead? Don't hurt either career, but date at your own risk?

From the coverage I've read of the trial, Depp was physically and verbally abusive to Heard on numerous occasions, and she retaliated against him with violence. I don't think it's a matter of both parties being abusive, I think it's a common case where a victim of abuse is not perfect and fights back in sometimes nasty ways. Depp has waged a very successful media campaign against Heard to paint her as cruel, vindictive and desperate for fame, and I think it's a terrible shame that it's worked so well.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Care to elaborate on your point?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Who is Hassan?

edit: Oh, a twitch streamer? I don't really get why you're putting so much stock in his opinions in particular? You say the 12 incidents of Depp's abuse against Heard are not legit because Hassan said so, and that's it?

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 29, 2022

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I see. Personally, I place much more stock in a judge's ruling that 12 incidents of assault did happen than on some random politics streamer's read, or a poster's "personality disorder radar".

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

For sure, I'm not saying to blindly trust the decisions of legal systems everywhere. I just want to push back against the idea that Heard instigated everything, or that she's a uniquely monstrous person, or it's just a matter of mutual toxicity and we should wash our hands of both of them. I think reading that earlier judgment is a much clearer way to understand exactly what Depp and Heard were both accused of than taking your opinions from a Twitch streamer interpreting live legal proceedings.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Bugblatter posted:

I kind of want to hear more about "where society is headed," but I suppose it's a bit outside the purview of this thread.

There are certainly instances, particularly in self-defense, in which physical retaliation can be justified. I struggle to see a guy being an rear end in a top hat for a few hours on a plane as qualifying. Even if the guy did seem to be "asking for it" in a rather literal sense.

I'll agree that it's hard to muster much sympathy for the victim when he seems to be quite chuffed at the result.

I didn't intend a derail. It seemed about as in line with the thread focus as Ezra Miller's violent assaults or the Depp vs Heard case (unless I'm mistaken and that case includes sexual assault, I believe it's entirely about non-sexual abuse though?), and was directly relevant to the discussion of Tyson's reform.

The Depp v Heard case does involve sexual abuse, but that was only revealed with this most recent trial. Heard previously had not publicly disclosed that.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

There's also this vice article on the youtubers turning the depp vs heard trial into #content which is incredibly depressing:

quote:

Another pro-Depp trial YouTuber who’s racked up millions of views said that before the trial, he had exactly 349 subscribers; today, he has more than 12,000. Mid-interview, the YouTuber told me he is 15 years old, and makes videos during the day because he’s homeschooled. (We have chosen not to link to his channel or name the content creator because he said he is a minor.)

“I watch some videos about the trial and then if I see anything out of the ordinary I upload about that,” he said, describing how he makes his videos. His most popular video has gotten millions of views; it’s a clip of Amber Heard seeming sad and angry during her testimony, with comedic music in the background and the occasional emoji pasted over it.

The 15-year-old said he started making YouTube videos about video games last year, but that when he saw Depp/Heard trial clips “blowing up on Youtube” he thought, “You know what, I could probably do this too.”

He found the trial interesting because, as he put it, “Johnny Depp. Jack Sparrow.” I asked what that meant, and he replied, “One of my favorite movie actors is part of a trial, it’s unexpected. It seems really interesting.” His sense of how the trial is going, he said, is “Johnny Depp is innocent. Because he’s cool.” Of Heard, he said, “She’s a turd,” adding, “I always thought that. She looks like one.”

He said his parents were “fine” and “happy” he was making these clips. His channel was just monetized recently, he said, which, if he is 15, would have meant, in theory, that a parent or guardian would have to sign up for a Google AdSense account, and that payments would go to that adult. (A followup email to the teen, asking to speak with his parents about their role in his channel, was not immediately returned.)

I'm sure some of it is bots, but a lot of it is very real people who just want attention.

My two cents re: Mike Tyson discussion is merely that it is kind of off putting to praise him in a thread specifically about sexual assault. Like, he did his time and hasn't reoffended and that's good, but I dunno maybe this isn't the right thread to get annoyed at people for remembering that he was convicted for rape? Maybe at this point the topic should move on?

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 19, 2022

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It's almost impressive how transparent Elon is when he tries to manipulate public opinion. Except for how it actually seems to work on some people, which just makes it all depressing.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Well, this is depressing as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

“I spoke up against sexual violence—and faced our culture’s wrath.”

“I became a public figure representing domestic abuse.”

That's all she said. Can't identify as a victim of abuse without being accused of defamation anymore.

Snowman_McK posted:

This thread is about to get loving horrible.

also, yeah. I'm checking out, not worth my sanity!