Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

so is polanski ever gonna face justice or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

-Blackadder- posted:

I don't follow a lot of this so I never heard of her. Who is she, and what's the deal with her writing this story?

this makes me feel old. she got famous in the 90s for her nyt columns about the lewinsky scandal (i think she even won the pulitzer).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

she's always been a poor writer that's why i never understood (ignoring subject matter) how she became famous.

tho david brooks somehow still collects a paycheck for his inane drivel.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I suppose the larger question that goes unanswered is "why were so many people on the wrong side of the Polanski thing" 10 years ago? It's not like people thought raping children was good in 2007.

there was a sizable polanski defense squad in this very sub years back. not so much that what he did wasn't bad but that the judge was a big meanie for possibly rejecting the deal (which he should've, it was a poo poo deal) so polanski was justified in fleeing. their argument tended to be it was a one off thing but they never had a response when someone would bring up that after polanski fled to europe he started loving a 15 year old.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 7, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

woody allen's films were never that great to begin with.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Blazing Ownager posted:

I don't know, I think at this point it's come screaming off the rails on fire. It's lost it's focus, half the stories now are ridiculously pathetic or mild compared to anything that has come before, etc. It's turned into a "say X is bad and X is ruined the end" bullshit, even if the reasoning is questionable. I cannot nor ever will be able to file "asked to bone, said no, left, no problems after" with "threatened, drug, bully or physical force."

Frankly the fact the Aziz Ansari was the moment it really went completely sideways. A bad date and some lovely game is not rape but somehow #MeToo takes every single level single thing and throws them all in the one-and-only rape pile, black & white with no sense of scale.

#MeToo started good but at this point is a raging dumpster fire the legitimate victims are trapped in with a ton of political bullshit now. Also looking it up it sounds like McGowan was mostly angry with #TimesUp, not #MeToo, which seems like a pretty blatant attempt to get a bunch of dudes off the hook for wearing a stupid pin and donating a few dollars to put out the fires.

women having to deal with bad sex, while not as bad as rape, is still a massive issue. look at any survey about positive or negative experiences with hooking up.

Bust Rodd posted:

So this thing that dramatically impacted my family for years is a real world example of someone believing they were sexually assaulted when in fact they were not. I honestly don’t give a poo poo if you believe me, and I can’t wait for someone to twist this around into me saying all victims are crazy or liars (I’m not), I’m just saying it’s possible and it happens and treating me like a rape sympathizer because of my experience and the way it informs my view is unnecessarily antagonistic, even if you don’t like it.

it happens but amounts to something like 2 percent of all accusations and it's more like .2 percent if you factor in all the rapes that aren't reported.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Feb 10, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

trump is so loving dumb. he could just keep his yap shut instead of going to bat for a guy where we have physical evidence he beats women. it honestly owns what a moron he is.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

apart from him not knowing what the term witch hunt means why wouldn't they list his most famous movie when talking about him.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FiftySeven posted:

In regards to the whole "having racist friends" thing in the UK, I don't you can really judge Radcliffe as a person over that poo poo. If I were to immediately cut contact with any racists I know, I would lose a good half of my customer base at work and disown some extremely old friends of mine who honestly are not racist because of their life experiences as such but rather because they were raised in an ignorant environment and its more learned behavior than horrible violent racists. Hell, if you ask them most of them will have friends from a wide spectrum of backgrounds and racial histories and will say stupid poo poo like "Oh yeah, That guys okay" but still will otherwise say stupid poo poo because that's how some of them were dragged up.

They are not really as bad people as it might sound, and often are just parroting poo poo their parents said. Its far better to actually engage with those sorts rather than to just let them sit in a loving bubble where they never have their view points challenged.

i don't talk to my brother because he's a big trump guy now. once you're a grown up you don't get to go "oh i was raised that way".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vegetable posted:

What does it mean to be Single White Female'd by somebody, I still don't understand

you're posting in a movie subforum.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i thought faraci was the guy that's a 9/11 truther and wrote that into star trek into darkness but i was misremembering an article he wrote about bob orci being that guy

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the scene when he asks if his son is smart still gets me tho.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/BronzeHammer/status/973333093846278144

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/ChudTudley/status/973333723981762566

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

separating celebs down with a gradation like a list and a minus list is bizarre. just use letters.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I think it makes a lot of sense to gradate like that, if you want to be able to distinguish better between anonymized celebrities. Plus the gradation itself mirrors the American grading system, so it seems as sensible and easily understandable as any other suggestion? Contrary to an A/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L-list system would clash horribly with the more general idea of A/B/C/D-list celebrities used outside the site itself.

i think a/b/c/d (and z if you wanna be real mean) works fine.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

what an enormous pile of poo poo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's virtually impossible to separate a work from its creator unless you somehow are able to wipe your own memory. and if you can, sign me right up.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

not when a white man says or believes it you silly goose.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

*sits you down and puts on jeepers creepers*

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that was what i was making reference to!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DrVenkman posted:

There's a difference between a person being taken advantage of and a person deciding to use their body to get what they want as well though.

not much of one.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

fogle was the harbinger.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it is loving insane that chris brown recovered.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm surprised that doesn't happen more often in courts.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

so jewwario killed himself because he was a pedophile? man that changes things.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm guessing like with twitch streamers that blow up it's children watching em.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

banned from Starbucks posted:

What is the SPLC and why would they waste time researching virgins

southern poverty law center.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

LOL they booted a guy for screeners?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/992422682837696512

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it is insane that chris brown was able to bounce back. he not only beat a woman - he beat up a woman more famous than him and there were pictures.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

michael jackson.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rhyno posted:

Most people don't believe those were false accusations.

exactly.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

for every false accusation there are ~150 sexual assaults. pretty good odds for believing a victim.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

starkebn posted:

I've seen a number of articles about men who have spent time in prison who have their cases overturned when the person who accused them of rape are overheard saying it never happened.

I'm sure actual sexual assaults occur on a monumentally higher frequency than false accusations that ruin men's lives, but it does happen.

apart from the duke case and that rolling stone article there's the sorta well known case of high school football player brian banks:

quote:

After being falsely accused of rape by a classmate, he spent more than five years in prison and five years on strict custody parole, but had his conviction overturned in 2012 after his accuser admitted she had fabricated the entire story. Following his exoneration, Banks sought to resume his football career, playing for the now defunct United Football League (UFL), attending mini-camps for several NFL teams, and later signing with the Atlanta Falcons.

but then we got starting qbs in the nfl who definitely sexually assaulted people and never faced a second of punishment for it.

something like 2/3 of rapes are never even reported.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i think we'd fix this problem by putting a prize horse's head in their beds.

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Tinder should automatically black out dick pics with a message "This is a dick pic, you can still see it if you want, click yes to proceed". I mean we have the technology to recognize dicks.

bumble does this. it's all blurred with a hand palm out in the middle of the image.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

jj abrams scripts are terrible. his descriptions are just bizarre - his superman script is a great example.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tailored Sauce posted:

Explain please?

idiocracy is about how dumb poors outbreeding smart people is gonna gently caress up the country when in reality it's the well off suburbanites that elected the dumbest person in the world to the presidency.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why wouldn;t the undercover cop wear a condom asks this observer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/pattymo/status/1008393678447050755