Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Fart City posted:

There was a Gore Vidal biopic starring Spacey that was completed and ready for release and Netflix vaulted the whole deal.

Hmmm. I bet Christopher Plummer could pull off Gore Vidal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

porfiria posted:

How can anyone not like, or at least not not not like, Broad City?

There's no accounting for taste.

That is to say, your taste.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

chitoryu12 posted:

The worst David Wong article is where he took Alec Baldwin’s monologue from Glengarry Glen Ross as a literal statement of truth for how the world works and everyone just needs to suck it up and accept that they don’t matter unless they push to beat everyone else.

The most heartless character in the movie giving the most unsympathetic speech which sets the tone for a story about human beings loving eachother over remorselessly...is good?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
A dead detective, a dead financier, who knows how many lives ruined. If this investigation goes forward, at what point will the culprits give up?

Oh, right. :(

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Basically people are saying Epstein killed himself because of affluenza. :lol:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Human Tornada posted:

You've never going to get everyone to agree on the proper punishment for these people, and even if a popular consensus was reached, how are you going to enforce it anyway? Even if you say "Well CK has enough money to live for the rest of his life anyway" OK, then what?

You can't ban someone from being famous. If enough people think CK "served his time" and are happy to pay to see him perform again, what is there to be done about that? Ban comedy clubs from letting him get on stage? Ban people from buying tickets? Ban web hosts from allowing him to sell his specials on his website?

I'm not quite sure what my larger point is, other than it doesn't seem all that productive to get worked up over CK being "allowed" to perform again.

That's what has me at odds with this thread. I never liked CK's standup, he just didn't make me laugh. Most of his jokes were about his own wormy self and it was nauseating. That's just me, though. When the news broke about what he was getting up to with ladies in his hotel room it wasn't (to me) the biggest surprise, since I figured his act was largely autobiographical.

The idea of banning someone from working as a comic is ridiculous. You can't say "don't let him work!" to every manager, producer, club owner, etc. and act like it's the voice of god. Those people don't have to listen to you. This isn't freaking China where we've got a bureau of comedy that tells everyone what is funny and what is not.

I'd be perfectly happy never seeing him again but there's no reason to expect one outcome over another. He might make a big stupid comeback, repeat his mistakes and make another twenty-or-so mil.

Unrelated, acting like him having to seek other employment would be disgraceful just comes off as being lovely to people who work low-level jobs.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I was referring to those posters who implied he should not be allowed to do shows at all. Perhaps that's so, but enacting that sort of ban would be impossible.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Timeless Appeal posted:

No, it's really, really not.

Yes, it really, really is.

You are talking about something that is completely outside of civil authority. Outside of any due process of law. Just because you hate someone or their actions doesn't make you an authority. It makes you just another loudmouth who thinks they're an arbiter of right and wrong. You can't tell a person in America "you can no longer practice your trade"*. That's asinine.

I don't care about C.K. No one in this conversation seems to either. Throw him in a lake of acid for all I care. But don't claim that doing so is legal or moral.

* Of course, people with authority, IE cops, teachers, judges and air traffic controllers have to explain any performance issues. However, those people answer to their own respective authorities, not randos on the internet, because they are responsible for human lives. Making a parallel for artists (ugh, I know) is as I said, ridiculous.

phasmid fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 23, 2019

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

LesterGroans posted:

It's a good ROI for them. It's usually a tiny fraction of what they should be paying, they get to write it off, and they get weirdo sycophants bending over backwards to excuse anything negative they did because they're "philanthropists".

Yeah, it's this. It's no coincidence that charity events in general are gross displays of opulence.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

graventy posted:

Despite Bust Rodd's efforts this isn't really the place to talk about the wonderful good works of slur-users or rapists.

Waitasec. Who committed rape? Last several pages have been about two comedians, neither of whom have been accused of rape.

On that note, are there people still seriously proposing that if Kevin Hart or Louis CK go into an open mic with a wig and fake beard and they get found out that we ought to send them to jail for performing? Because if that's so, that's dumb as gently caress. I agree with the poster earlier who said standup comedy is one of those instances where the free market is actually a good thing. Let audiences decide what they want to see.

I'd ban pro-wrestling but in order to do that, we'd have to put some laws in place that would backfire immediately.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

porfiria posted:

They should be executed. They've already hoovered up vastly more resources than any normal human being should be allowed.

If you're talking as a general rule, yeah, okay. I'm on board. Let's start with everybody in Forbes.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
No "note taking". Get loving real. This guy takes himself too seriously.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I'm an adult and I can't put my phone down for an hour.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

sponges posted:

Streamers make content for children.

Game streaming is child labor.

*Unless you're older and choose to do it for money, in which case shut up about it being a "hard job".

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Michael Vick: animal lover.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
It's irksome when somebody gets caught and goes "Oh, whoops!" but their press agent says they're better now - look! he's doing charity work! why would a celeb do that if they weren't sincere? - and then their gullible public paints it as a Road to Damascus thing.

People who torture animals don't usually just stop because they realized it was wrong. More likely he just understands that if he gets caught doing that again, he'll do time.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

RevKrule posted:

During the writer's strike, she told all her writers she was with them the first day and then fired them the next. gently caress her.

Sometimes your instincts tell you you were right all along, while other people were insisting that you just don't get it or -gasp- maybe you're homophobic (which is just lol, people acting like "coming out" on her failing show was Stonewall II).

Not funny, never funny, stupid face, tyrant, likes George W.
Conclusion: Eat poo poo, Ellen.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

whydirt posted:

It can both be true that Ellen was unfairly pushed out of Hollywood by homophobes for coming out and that her status as a victim didn’t make her empathetic to others when she got power of her own.

Being a victim doesn’t magically make you a good person.

True on both counts. But as with the Osbourne family, sometimes your gut feeling turns out being the right one. S'all.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

davidspackage posted:

God, Ted Cruz is just a loving suckerfish for media controversies.

Hey, she courted the GOP and now she's got them.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

graventy posted:

I think the idea that you can write an article about abuse and then get sued by the abuser is very bad, no good.

The article pretty much pointed to Depp. He defended himself. There's nothing weird about that at all.

Also, evidence suggests that she, not him, is the abuser. So maybe slow your roll with the label gun.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Snowman_McK posted:

This thread is about to get loving horrible.
About to. lol

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
To think, a simple clarification that it wasn't Depp she referred to could have prevented this whole misunderstanding. But yes. Go do some self-care. I'm sure it's tiring.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

moonmazed posted:

gently caress off you misogynist freak
Right on schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

moonmazed posted:

:qq: people are mad about the poo poo i said specifically to make them mad

If it works, stick with it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)