Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Farrow has not done a story on him! (so far)

no, but he's kind of the main "face" of #MeToo in mainstream journalism. it makes sense that they'd try to tank his career before he gets a chance to write on the Tara Reade thing in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
:psyduck: what the christ, so is Joe Bob a Nazi or is he not a Nazi or what is even happening anymore

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Did he tweet something else? The quoted tweet sounds to me like he doesn't want to make money for Cinestate not that he's quitting Fangoria for making a stand.

He's written articles for an outright white nationalist publication in the recent past, which makes this weird as hell to see.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I would've expected him to just stay conspicuously silent on all of it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean, I agree that it's bad optics, but given what TERFs largely claim to be afraid of it's not super irrelevant. TERF claims about trans women almost seem uniquely devised to try and get sexual assault survivors to kneejerk out of paranoia.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Aces High posted:

isn't that sort of like that story (I don't know if it was fabricated or not) that Taylor Swift deliberately broke up with guys so she could write break up songs?

it came out during the filming of Cats that Taylor Swift is pretty much owned as property by her dad, who forced Tom Hooper to include the catnip orgy scene because it made her "sexier"

Taylor Swift's life is an absolute rabbit-hole of staggeringly awful that nobody wants to go down

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
honestly, if they did make him kill himself, they're a loving hero for it

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rhyno posted:

I've been tooting the BoM rip off born for years and nobody has ever cared. Even Gaiman said they're nothing alike despite how we can all see that Harry is a complete ripoff of Tim Hunter.

iirc Gaiman's answer was that he could see the similarities in the premise but that the execution is wildly different. which is fair, Books of Magic isn't really a whole lot like HP past the basic premise of it (and is a lot better than HP as a result).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

achillesforever6 posted:

he actually puts LGBTQA characters in the work... I always wanted urban fantasies with the Greek Gods and all that jazz... the Gods are all complete assholes for the most part... he also digs deep in finding mythological beings.

my friend let me tell you about Fate/stay night

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

i'm not actually going to do that, i have seen the derails Fate causes, i just find it really funny that those books basically just sound like Fate for kids

i actually might have to check them out on the strength of that, sounds like my poo poo

e: that said, since we're probably going to go there anyways, Kinoko Nasu is also way better at being progressive than Rowling. there's multiple LGBT characters in Fate who are handled totally fine, and an entire massive chunk of the original work is basically just him shaking rape apologists by the shoulders and going FUUUUUUCK YOOOOOOU at them. it has aspects that make it problematic, hence why it tends to cause derails, I am already aware, we do not need to kvetch about it for pages and pages in the absolute worst possible thread for that, but it does a lot of poo poo right too, whereas HP is just fractally awful.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 7, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

KitConstantine posted:

You're joking, but their physique is absolutely defined by male gaze. The over-the-top muscular cut body is a male power fantasy not a woman's sexual fantasy. It appears homoerotic because men are the target audience for the power fantasy the spartans embody (literally).

...eh? :crossarms:

you realize women are, generally speaking, hella into ripped dudes too, right

e: like you realize Jason Momoa is pretty much considered the hottest dude in hollywood right now, right? looking like that Rob Liefeld drawing of Captain America, but with a beard and long hair, is more or less The In Look for dudes right now

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the only point i was trying to make there is that 300 is, at the bare minimum, an example of how male-gaze power fantasy can intersect with female-gaze sexual fantasy weirdly, if not an outright deliberate invocation of that intersection

it's ostensibly trying to make the Spartans into a male power fantasy, but it ends up sexually objectifying the living hell out of them in the process, in a way that basically everybody who's remotely into dudes noticed, and even most straight guys noted as the movie being "gay as hell"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I think people are mostly just bringing it up because it makes it frankly even worse. Dude straight-up looked like a small child.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, I should note I wouldn't be defending it even if he looked like a grown adult; it's just that, for me, how he looked then makes it go from "ew, gross, gently caress that person," to making me straight-up see red and want to spill blood.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also there's the time Iron Maiden was invited to play Ozzfest and, as soon as they took the stage, Sharon cut their audio and started telling the audience to throw cans and bottles at them.

Sharon Osbourne sucks rear end, in other words

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Sky Rogue is a loving awesome roguelite Ace Combat clone, and was in that itch.io BLM bundle you should've bought

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
John K isn't anywhere near the new Ren and Stimpy, and isn't even collecting a check for it.

I kind of suspect this is a direct response to those allegations, and a way to try and take the legacy of the show away from him. In that case, I can't get mad. He was honestly a lot less involved with it in the first place than popular memory would make you think; something like two thirds of the show was made without him, and Adult Party Cartoon is only remembered at all as a loving nightmare.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Crackbone posted:

Is Evan Rachal Wood’s abusive relationship with Marilyn Manson well known? I just heard about it today any holy poo poo the details are horrific.

i'm not... surprised, exactly, but this is the first i'm hearing of it.

any links?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

Both the best and worse descriptions of it make me not want to watch it. If I had a young daughter I'd probably watch it to figure out if I either need to warn her about it or watch it with her to try and have a conversation with her about society and how it treats her.

it's absolutely the latter kind of movie

it's not a pleasant watch at all, but it's more 12 Years A Slave unpleasant than Larry Clark unpleasant

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bust Rodd posted:

Let me preface this with “I am not trying to be funny”

What if Big Mouth got renewed for 4 seasons because it instantly became the most accessible piece of pedofile media in the world?

I can dig up the old AOL post if people want, but this sort of thing has happened before. Tiny Toons was a very popular and successful show about children versions of popular looney tunes, and it was a TV show right around the birth of the internet becoming mainstream.

The voice actors started going to conventions and basically immediately realized that their fans were actually all just adult men who had questions about whether or not Babs was 16... it’s why they cancelled Tiny Toons and set out to make Animaniacs, a show in which the characters were specifically designed to be as featureless as possible to keep people from being creepy about them.

I know it’s a very Tinfoil hat sounding thing, and I really don’t think the Big Mouth team set out to do this AT ALL, but I can easily see a situation where Netflix execs look at the numbers and go “wow people just love that John Mulaney” and never give it a second thought that there might be something specific about this show that really asks some questions.

Nothing gets multiple seasons renewed up front at Netflix if it doesn’t do ABSURD numbers.

you know this is a literal QAnon talking point, right?

e: like, it's not just "tinfoil hat sounding," you are literally saying the same things as one of the worst and most harmful groups of tinfoil hatters

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Precambrian posted:

I don't know if it's QAnon, but the idea that Netflix's programming decisions are driven by the preferences of a secret horde of pedophiles is pretty loving nuts to just throw out there. Like, sure, maybe Big Mouth is like Lazytown in that it's media that pedophiles latched on to it and shared it around amongst themselves on the Dark Web or whatever, but there's literally no evidence whatsoever that that's a number sufficient to move the dial just compared to fans of John Mulaney. Or literally any other demographic analysis. I mean, the only way this works is if you think that pedophilia is a massively popular paraphilia. Like, look at the original post:

Purely on conjecture that the show is popular, Bust Rodd is just asking questions if it might be due to pedophile appeal being sufficient to drive "ABSURD numbers." He can easily see a situation where there are so many pedophiles out there that their support for a show is big enough that Netflix notices and caters to. Again, this is a wild rear end claim that makes a massive allegation about the nature of the world that's backed by nothing more than a heavily promoted John Mulaney show being popular enough to get 4 seasons. Presumably popular—Netflix doesn't give out viewer numbers, so the reason it got 4 seasons is literally just as plausible that Mulaney and the Netflix CEO go to the same Adrenochrome parties. It's not tinfoil hattery, it's just wild allegations and conjecture.

There is one show that we know is disproportionately popular with pedophiles, though. Star Trek! Is pedo support what made Picard a success and Discovery a dud? If they're such a potent demographic, should we perhaps suspect every popular media being secretly driven by pedophile interests?

It just makes a mockery of any nuanced discussion of sexuality in the media when someone can throw out an allegation that there's a vast pedophile population that Netflix et al. are overtly or unwittingly catering to with literally no evidence.

this, but also, QAnon nutters specifically think Big Mouth is an example of HOLLYWEIRD PEDOPHILES secretly sending messages to other pedophiles. like, that's a thing i've encountered before.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Phi230 posted:

what is Big Mouth

Netflix show. TV-MA rated comedy about teenagers going through puberty, puberty being gross, and puberty manifesting as gross-looking monsters voiced by stand-up comedians.

quote:

why is it pedo

it's very deliberately not. all the human characters look like this:

what human being on planet earth would want to gently caress that abomination?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Professorjuggalo posted:

arglebargle people won't join my insane loving Pizzagate crusade

suck my entire rear end

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

graventy posted:

Almost no one was actually 'cancelled' for #metoo, so why get so worked up about the one false accusation?

Because Depp actually did lose what was left of his career, and if none of the people who actually did horrible poo poo are getting consequences for it, someone who's actually genuinely innocent really loving shouldn't be.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rhyno posted:

Depp has multiple films releasing and plenty of work lined up though?

...looking at his IMDB, unless they've split Fantastic Beasts 3 into multiple parts, that's the literal only thing he has lined up, and he's had a grand total of one non-indie role (Fantastic Beasts 2) since the shitstorm happened (and very explicitly lost the Jack Sparrow role over it, which was pretty much his golden goose). do you know something we all don't?

e: oh, he did the lead VA role in Sherlock Gnomes, I guess that's also something?

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 16, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rhyno posted:

I just saw a trailer for a new film where he's playing a photographer

news to me!

quote:

and didn't they say he was going to be part of the PotC reboot?

hell no, they're rebooting it specifically because the allegations made him poison and they want to divorce the brand from Jack Sparrow. he's not involved at all.

e: that photographer movie must be Minamata, which is indie and doesn't have a US distributor, but actually looks pretty drat good

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

thrawn527 posted:

Aren’t they making three more Fantastic Beasts movies? Like, I have no idea why, they’re terrible, and Rowling is toxic now, but I’m almost positive the plan is for five movies, and has been from the start.

afaik the original plan was for 5, but IMDB only lists up to 3, so I wouldn't be surprised if COVID + Rowling being toxic + FB2 underperforming made them cut it to 3.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah I’m not sure why this assertion that Rowling’s TERFdom has harmed the franchise is fairly widespread. I’m not saying that Rowling isn’t terrible, I just think 97% of Harry Potter fans don’t give a poo poo.

i mean, in my anecdotal experience, 97% of HP fans are angry as hell about the situation and are pretty much done giving the franchise any money, and many have moved on to vaguely-similar things like the Percy Jackson books. :shrug: like, JK Rowling being a huge poo poo seems to have basically killed Harry Potter's relevance.

because it's not just that she's a TERF asshat, but her being a TERF asshat has also made people view stuff in the books in a much less charitable light (ie the only asian being named Cho Chang, the goblins being jewish stereotypes, the absolute clunkiness of the gay metaphor with lycanthropy, etc). people can't really divorce the art from the artist because it turns out the art was bad too and they just never noticed.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

AceOfFlames posted:

I always thought that it was supposed to be a metaphor for AIDS. :shrug:

it's kind of "yes" and that's a lot of the problem

e: like it's an AIDS metaphor, yeah, but it's very specifically a metaphor for being a gay dude with AIDS, and it's the literal only gay representation of any kind in the books other than Dumbledore, who only arguably counts.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 18, 2020

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
her endless quest to be the most globally and universally hated British woman since Margaret Thatcher is honestly kind of amusing to me

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Groovelord Neato posted:

Didn't Nic Cage and Tim Burton both get 8 figures for Superman Lives?

i love that a movie that never happened most likely funded his pyramid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

well why not posted:

The story pivoting to being "support Depp, he's a victim" reeks of misogyny - there's very little chance (in my speculation) he wasn't awful to her as well. Two wrongs do not make a right, and pretending that he's squeaky clean in all of this is very very dubious.

you're seeing a lot of non-MRA people pivot to that because the poo poo that came out from Heard was really, really loving awful, far beyond anything we've heard from or about Depp. it's kind of hard to support a monster against a drunk idiot.