Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, it rules. You're watching a pretty standard Arnold action in the jungle movie, then a crazy alien movie suddenly busts in almost out of nowhere and starts loving everything up. At least there were hints it was coming though. It's even crazier in something like From Dusk till Dawn, where you're watching a weird movie about two criminal brothers kidnapping a family trying to escape across the border, then out of loving nowhere there's vampires everywhere. I know they were in the trailers, but I got to surprise one person with that back in the day, who hadn't heard of the movie at all, hadn't seen any trailers for it, so I showed her the movie on VHS. When the turn comes and people in the bar go all vampire crazy, she yells out, "What the gently caress is this movie?!" It was amazing.

I wish there were more movies that could pull that off, but you've gotta sell your movie somehow.

Ha ha. I did this one on my wife when we first started dating. She wasn’t overly familiar with Tarantino’s past works. For my money it’s his best film, and George Clooneys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Skwirl posted:

Billy Baldwin, ugh.

Also, not surprising it was Robert Evans who said that, but kinda disappointing.

Just to note that if you haven’t read “The Kid Stays in the Picture” you should do so immediately. As a window into Hollywood sleaze of the 60s and 70s it is unmatched. Evans basically climbed the ladder at Paramount by acting as a pimp for his weirdo psychopath boss at Gulf+Western who lived life as a Colonial Plantation owner on Caribbean islands and stretches of South America the company effectively owned.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I, Butthole posted:

Literally everything written about Charlie Bluhdorn is buck wild and disgusting. Easy Riders, Raging Bulls also goes in on his bullshit quite a bit and it's fascinating and horrifying.

There’s a funny bit where Evans visits Bludhorn on his island and can quite clearly see that all the Afro Caribbean staff forced to wear starched white suits and wait on his every need are all one small step from a bloody mutiny

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Jesus. This article is absolutely horrifying.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/f...busive-behavior

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

So it couldn’t really get any clearer that Melinda Gates is divorcing Bill because she found out, or he confessed, to having sex with kids on Epstein island

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

"So there's this guy who is a convicted sex offender, human trafficker, and child rapist who also had an - extensively documented - literal child rape island in the Caribbean, who not only had a - concretely documented and repeatedly verifiable - history of throwing sketchy sex parties on said child rape island, but has had multiple, independent, publicly known connections and relationships with figures in multiple intelligence agencies. All of this is stuff that can be verified from multiple reputable sources and is largely uncontested by even people directly implicated in his dealings."

"WOW Q-ANON MUCH"

You actually have to be a conspiracy theorist to think Epstein killed himself. You honestly have to jump through a whole lot of insanely irrational and illogical hoops to think he just offed himself in a cell one night

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://london.eater.com/22450901/mark-sargeant-sexual-assault-allegations-american-airlines-texas

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Another one

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tv-producer-charlie-hanson-faces-sex-claims-9hf9ck66m

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think film and TV production sort of amplify it all. Part of it is that there is a sort of high school mentality to the industry. People end up hanging out so much with their crew and there really is a breakdown of boundaries. Like most workplaces at least pretend they care about life/work balance outside of like... doctors or migrant workers.

I think the other thing is the sense of "gratitude" that was instilled in people. People at a mercenary blue collar or white collar jobs are allowed to not like their jobs or treat it as just work. But in Hollywood stuff, there is a sense of you being lucky to be there at all and I think that really exasperates the tyrannical attitude at all levels. And it just seems all more ingrained. Video games and music probably have a similar problem.

The key factor is that everyone is freelance. There is zero job security and the vast majority of hiring is done on word of mouth and recommendations. Nobody, particularly lower down the ranks, ever wants to be seen as “difficult” or a troublemaker. So the most appalling treatment - in terms of abuse, stress, workload, hours and pay - is just accepted as Normal.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It's especially gross in the context of that article, but it's sadly common for those kinds of long form interview write ups in magazines and newspapers. It'd be nice if that garbage stopped, but the writers probably see themselves as aspiring novelists and don't understand a) there's a difference between writing about fictional characters vs real people and b) there's a difference between painting a picture and being creepy and exhausting.

Another journalistic habit that annoys me in a lot of links posted here is the reflexive need to promote the works of the people involved.
For example that Guardian article ends with:
Know Your Rights by Angelina Jolie is published by Andersen Press at £7.99. To support the Guardian and Observer, order your copy at guardianbookshop.com. Delivery charges may apply.

Which all in all is still better than the articles that are: *article about Louis CK being a creep* his latest special is available at his website.

Putting a plug like that at the end of the piece will literally be part of the conditions for granting the interview.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I actually have a couple of balaclavas that I bought for filming in extreme cold in Lapland, but since moving to Northern Ireland my wife has persuaded me to keep them at the bottom of the cold weather drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

So much abuse and appalling behaviour is allowed by indulging presenters and actors and letting them spout nonsense like Hardy does here. He was probably late because he’d been out on a drink and drugs bender and it should be written into contracts that this kind of behaviour is unacceptable and will cost X% of the fee, just like any other job.

Also notice this article does the classic “oh the tension made the end result better” just like we’re back with Shelley Duval and Kubrick in the 80s