Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

The way [Kevin Spacey] casually implicated/threatenes the ROYAL FAMILY in one of them was truly one of the most insane things I e ever seen in my life. It’s enough to make anyone a conspiracy nut

This is from a while ago, but--hasn't there been a bunch of poo poo in the past about people who've accused him of various things dying suddenly? Kevin Spacey, master assassin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Crackbone posted:

I've known people who do that kind of nonsense, and it's an attempt to be funny more than harassment. Not that it's okay, much less in a work environment.

I mean, there's a kernel of truth in every joke, right? It's possible to intend things two different ways at once. As an emotionally dead American male, I'd probably find some idiot rolling around with his dick out like it's no big deal pretty funny--but as gags go it's undeniably, uh, intrusive, and there's 100% a power element to literally waving your dick in people's faces.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok but how would you feel if like your sister or your mother or any woman you actually give a poo poo about was also in the room with the strange man hanging his wiener out to shake at them?

I mean...the same way I just described? And I'm not sure why you feel the presence of my female loved ones would change that. How exactly are you reading my post?

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m reading it as the extremely privileged take of a man who doesn’t feel sexually threatened by other men who is perhaps choosing not to consider that not everyone has the same privilege and maybe having a cock out when you’re just, like, a PA trying to hand out coffee or a make up artist who had to get up at 5 to be here is actually a deeply unwelcome gesture.

Like yes, we’ve all been in our early 20’s or in college hanging with close friends where maybe a penis showing up wouldn’t be the end of the world and maybe kinda funny. That is not the scenario that we’re discussing, we’re talking about someone pulling their dick out at work and just walking around on set like that.

I guess my point is that I wouldn’t want my mom or my sister hanging out in spaces where guys just walk around hanging dong, unless it was specifically what they were looking for.

As an ape and fool, I find dicks intrinsically funny. They look stupid, they flop around, they bump into things. It makes me laugh. That doesn't change the fact that there's a very clear and inappropriate power dynamic being forced on everybody in the room when somebody just, like...takes one out. It's unacceptable and offensive. Which was my point, made in response to a post that seemed to be making the point that you seem to think I was trying to make. If that makes sense. Me having the social and personal luxury of laughing at dongs doesn't mean I'm excusing the behavior when inflicted on other people, and you hitting me with the "what if it was YOUR MOTHER" argument makes me think you've misinterpreted me? One of us is getting wires crossed here.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Alright, uh, I'm not sure where the miscommunication occurred here, so I'm gonna take this from the top, and if I've somehow hosed up how I read all this, my bad.

Crackbone posted:

I've known people who do that kind of nonsense, and it's an attempt to be funny more than harassment. Not that it's okay, much less in a work environment.

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

I mean, there's a kernel of truth in every joke, right? It's possible to intend things two different ways at once. As an emotionally dead American male, I'd probably find some idiot rolling around with his dick out like it's no big deal pretty funny--but as gags go it's undeniably, uh, intrusive, and there's 100% a power element to literally waving your dick in people's faces.

The post I responded to seemed to be saying "yes, it's offensive--but." The post I made in response to that was "yes, it's funny--but." I personally find cocks hilarious, but it's hosed up to whip them out at people. I also think it's funny when people walk into doors. Ape go ouchie, ha ha. I am nevertheless anti-people walking into doors, because I don't enjoy when people get hurt. I am expressly not telling other people how to feel; I'm saying that me (or anyone) finding something funny doesn't mean that it's okay, because my (or anyone's) personal amusement doesn't supersede or mitigate the injury it might cause someone else, for instance a woman being subjected to sexual harassment under the guise of a harmless joke. Even if the joke was, somehow, actually made with sincerely harmless intent. (My other point being that the dude walking around with his dick out might think it's funny, but also certainly understands that it's wrong.)

Am I confused about how this conversation is going? You seem to be reading the opposite of what I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

kaworu posted:

The real issue is that this is not an issue that requires subtlety, or exists in shades of grey. Ultimately, a guy taking out his dick in public simply is not funny - even if the person in question seems to think so. When you say "Well, dicks are floppy and funny and it doesn't bother me" reads like you really are making excuses, and stating that because it doesn't bother you it's not really all that bad at all.

Yes, you are qualifying that by saying it's not acceptable, but it doesn't really change the obvious intent of the original statement? It kinda reads like someone professing that they personally believe in the Replacement Theory because it makes sense to them, and then vociferously claiming that they really do abhor racism and inequality in all forms. It doesn't really add up and it comes across as a bit disingenuous.

We know it's not funny - we know it's harassment - we know that comedic intent does not supersede subjecting a person to harassment.

You're dropping the context of this entire conversation, and, to boot, you seem to be telling me how I'm supposed to feel. Because, and I don't know how to possibly stress this any further, I personally and speaking only for myself will always find dicks hilarious and dumb--and yet nevertheless advocate very strongly against showing them to unwilling or unwitting people. I'm literally advocating basic empathy, and a consideration of other people's feelings before your own satisfaction. "Don't pull your cock out" isn't an issue with subtleties, but there are distinctions and emphases to draw out that clarify why it's wrong, and why it shouldn't be done, which is what I was doing, as a response to someone else's post.

We're disagreeing to agree, at this point. I'm legitimately confused what the problem is here. I'm gonna bow out.

POWELL CURES KIDS fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 4, 2021