Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Let's not forget that CS includes "Mutt Williams," another protagonist named after a dog who happens to be Indy's son.

I know Spielberg kind of threw Lucas under the bus for saying he trusted him in choosing the movie's macguffin, but Spielberg's unconditional love of Shia LaBeouf sure didn't help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Shia can be a good actor. He was just kind of an odd choice to include in an Indiana Jones film that was already full of very odd choices.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, he actually apologized and faced consequences.

He's also a Bush, and you can only ever fail up in that family.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Zogo posted:

Female MMA fighter attacks man who allegedly exposed himself to her on the beach
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/female-mma-fighter-attacks-man-allegedly-exposed-beach-135727447.html

Lol, she owns and I hope she made him poo poo himself.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

TheHeadSage posted:

Sets a good precedent for the ProJared case.

What did anyone expect from a YouTuber whose name is actively rooting for this guy:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Just loving lol

Reposting his vid for posterity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZveA-NAIDI

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I saw a trailer for Anna in front of the new John Wick. They used the “From the Director of Lucy and the Professional” without ever mentioning Luc Besson by name, I wonder why.

Because Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets bombed hard.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Krankenstyle posted:

He and Joss Whedon should get together some time, see what happens

Lol, this was recently posted in the PYF TV episodes that haven't aged well thread regarding Firefly:

Tim Minnear posted:

[Inara] had this magic syringe. She would take this drug. And if she were, for instance, raped, the rapist would die a horrible death. The story was that she gets kidnapped by Reavers and when Mal finally got to the ship to save her from the Reavers, he gets on the Reaver ship and all the Reavers are dead. Which would suggest a kind of really bad assault. At the end of the episode, he comes in after she's been horribly brutalized, and he comes in and he gets down on his knee, and he takes her hand. And he treats her like a lady. And that's the kind of stuff that we wanted to do. It was very dark. And this was actually the first story that Joss pitched to me when he asked me to come work on the show. He said, 'These are the kind of stories we're going to do.'

Here's the post to the quote from the thread:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

AceOfFlames posted:

BTW, dunno if this is old news, but apparently Lorne Michaels at one point tried to pimp out Chris Kattan to get a female director for Night at the Roxbury:

https://news.avclub.com/chris-kattans-got-a-disturbing-story-about-lorne-michae-1835065317

https://twitter.com/sasimons/status/1132695376694091777

If you want a sobering look at how sexual assault/coercion for male victims is still looked at, just check out the comments on that AVClub article. Most are variations on "Yeah, as if ANYONE would want to gently caress Chris Kattan" :cripes:

Yeah, you'll see that take in GBS on the SNL thread

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Sucrose posted:

Apparently this person was bitten by a dog though? :shrug:

Edit: It was apparently Mark Harmon’s dog. Mark Harmon himself did not tear up someone’s face.

It's the perfect crime. Blame attacks on doggo, and general public will b'awww upon seeing doggo.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Because all the sex pest comedians, which at the end of the day is a lot of them, possibly even most, have nothing but their solidarity to protect them

Yeah, it seems like a lot of the defenses come from tribal/team mentality. Louis CK is on Pete's team. It's the same reason Rose McGowan wanted people to "be kind" to Asia Argento once her grooming/sexual harassment incident came to light, and why professors closed ranks around Avita Ronell when her grad student accused her of sexual harassment.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Also, gently caress Pete Holmes for his mealy-mouthed article espousing the South Park-esque idea that the answer is "in the middle."

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Mara Wilson loving rules, and I'm glad she made it through child-acting without getting completely hosed up.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

My brain feels all foggy today, and I had to reread that a few times to make sure I wasn't reading that Bryan Singer was involved with "Millennium Falcon" films.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Alan Smithee posted:

yeah, sorry for the derail

back to landis

I didn't even realize how lovely John Landis was on a personal level (I mean I'm not surprised when you let kids die like that)

This old Playboy interview with Eddie Murphy of all people is pretty wild
http://www.pajiba.com/celebrities_are_better_than_you/john-landis-feud-with-eddie-murphy-over-twilight-zone-movie-deaths.php

some choice quotes

everyone says like father like son but more than they know

Eddie Murphy's life is loving wild.

I wish the Chappelle Show had led to a Charlie Murphy spinoff of him telling more Hollywood stories involving himself and his brother.

Back on topic, though: gently caress John Landis. Geez.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The Marina Sirtis article is odd because she attributes getting therapy to deal with her abuse directly to being involved in Hollywood/LA because "everyone" in LA is in therapy.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Alex Acosta isn't the attorney in charge, so maybe?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Timeless Appeal posted:

It is really, really important that nobody explain to Trump what deep fakes are

No one ever could. Dude still thinks steam power is superior to digital. Two things that are often compared by normal and intelligent people.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

bad day posted:

I'm having trouble parsing this sentence. What really blew me away when learning the nuts & bolts of nuclear technology and solar towers and stuff is they're basically just glorified steam engines. We have photovoltaic cells and everything but the most efficient way of generating power is still just making water hot and using it to turn stuff, for the most part.

So if digital power was actually a thing that existed, steam power would probably still be better.

Nevertheless Trump is an awful man who constantly says embarassing and stupid things.

It's not supposed to make sense. It's Trump talking about naval aircraft carrier catapults:

Trump posted:

I said, “You don’t use steam anymore for catapult?” “No sir.” I said, “Ah, how is it working?” “Sir, not good. Not good. Doesn’t have the power. You know the steam is just brutal. You see that sucker going and steam’s going all over the place, there’s planes thrown in the air.”

It sounded bad to me. Digital. They have digital. What is digital? And it’s very complicated, you have to be Albert Einstein to figure it out. And I said—and now they want to buy more aircraft carriers. I said, “What system are you going to be—” “Sir, we’re staying with digital.” I said, “No you’re not. You going to goddamned steam, the digital costs hundreds of millions of dollars more money and it’s no good.”

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

GrandpaPants posted:

Because people don't like to realize that they're bigots because they find bigoted jokes funny.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Davros1 posted:

Brian Regan works clean and he's loving hilarious. I wouldn't say John Mulaney is a vulgar comedian either. Jim Gaffigan too.

This can't be overstated. Gaffigan owns.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Bust Rodd posted:

Just, as a thought experiment, can anyone name a single big name female comedian who works clean? Like I feel like Tig Notaro is the only one currently working, I can't think a single other working woman in comedy who doesn't have a large body of gross or extremely sexual material. Maybe Hannah Gadsby?

Also if working clean is so easy, then why are there only like 3 clean comedians (Brian Regan, Jim Gaffigan, ?) and every other comedian swears?

Finally, food for thought: Bill Cosby was famously super clean and in fact dedicated the daytime parts of his life to rallying against that type of material and chiding other comedians for being dirty.

Maria Bamford's standup is clean, with most of her material focused on mental health and doing voices.

e;fb

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

GrandpaPants posted:

Big is pretty subjective, but Paula Poundstone's act always seemed pretty clean.

lmao

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Lmao, this is in an episode of Louis, where Maria Bamford may or may not have given him crabs. It's almost the exact same exchange.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

They're, uh... They're gonna let him be Frank, aren't they?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Vagabundo posted:

If we're talking plain ol' garden-variety assault, did you feel the same way about Richard Spencer being fed a knuckle sandwich?

lmao

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Alan Smithee posted:

he was not the same as the skyrim music guy or the Splash Damage right, like mass shootings these things just come in threes I swear

Skyrim music guy is Jeremy Soule. I don't know who the Splash Damage guy is, though.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Zoe Quinn shares a last name with Harley Quinn. COINCIDENCE???

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Zogo posted:

Jeffrey Epstein's 'fixer' who ran major modelling agency vanishes 'like a ghost'
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/jeffrey-epsteins-fixer-who-ran-19122659

He's dead.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

LividLiquid posted:

Comedians are almost uniformly professional bad people.

They all look up to Carlin and Lenny Bruce but then they use their bully pulpit to browbeat people beneath them on the social ladder and act like they're a revolutionary for doing so.

Worse than that, when people decide that poo poo ain't funny, they get super fuckin' sanctimonious and for a group that uniformly mocks safe spaces and thinks the marginalized are entitled, they super want comedy venues and theaters to be their safe space and they feel entitled to people's laughter.

Stand up needs new stars so fuckin' bad. Bo Burnham went from a lovely edgelord teen to a much more mature performer, but he's just one dude.

This is why Jim Gaffigan is the greatest comic. He browbeats himself.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Scarlett's not backing away from the ledge on her Woody Allen hot take.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/11/scarlett-johansson-oscars-issue-cover-story

Perhaps actors who have always been in show business and formed their earliest relationships in that environment might be more than a little blind to larger social issues and the reputations of the people they're trafficking with.

Also, as the article points out, despite her status as an in-demand actress, Johansson also has a few more ambitions to fulfill.

Lol at her response to the Rub & Tug tussle.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Sirotan posted:

Zardoz remake when

Why remake perfection?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Davros1 posted:

Braff called the then underage Joey King "My little muse" which is pretty loving creepy.

:staredog:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Rebel played a nunchcuk-wielding Juggalo in Workaholics, so I give her a pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

-Blackadder- posted:

Yeah, I remember the same thing with American Beauty, I think people soured on that even before people found out Spacey was basically playing himself in House of Cards.

I feel like one of the only really big movies of this type people hated almost immediately was Crash, but even then there was some split.

I was a teenager when American Beauty came out. I remember watching it and wondering two things: 1) what the gently caress is this; and 2) why the gently caress do people love this movie?