Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

live with fruit posted:

Capitalism is specifically protecting Leto?

Capital. But yes. He's a wealthy white man in a position that makes other wealthy white men lots of money. The entire apparatus is keeping him in that position as long as tenable, because that is what it is meant to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You don't actually have to be considerably rich or successful for the system to protect you. It's designed to protect the mediocre.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

live with fruit posted:

So it's not cause he's a wealthy white man in a position that makes other wealthy white men lots of money?

What part of that do you think is contradictory?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

emo-ignorance posted:

This. There had been rumors and speculation about Louis CK since at least 2012, but he denied it until the New York Times was about to put out an article where they interviewed the victims themselves. Unless someone specifically comes out and says "This happened to me," no amount of secondhand accounts will do much.

Unfortunately this is why the chilling effect from what happens to accusers who DO come out and say what happened to them is so effective.

vvv: Also this. The police are famously unhelpful at best when it comes to victims of sexual assault. And not much has really changed from Saville's day, if anything at all.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 7, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Boywhiz88 posted:

The Jimmy Saville documentary is bad. His abuse isn’t really touched on in the first part. The connections to power and how they enabled him are pretty much glossed over. “Oh yeah, the local police supported him” and then nothing of it. “His connection with the royals is weird” and then nothing of it.

It’s just 3 hours of looking at his hosed up face and hair.

I wonder how much of it is British libel laws that stop them from speculating further or trying to draw lines. But otherwise, if you’re familiar with the broad strokes of the scandal, then you don’t need to watch this.

Libel laws, and the not 0% chance that the royal family will you have you killed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah, it's not great but that's par for the course with a lot of these things. It's particularly infuriating given there's already been a great book on the issue. Even worse that Saville himself talked about his connections to law enforcement a lot so its a weird thing for the doc to gloss over.

Probably because getting too info law enforcement actively enabling pedophilia is also probably bad for your health.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gorn Myson posted:

It also helps that every big name in the media and politics in the UK went to the same schools, the same universities and regularly meet up at the same parties. Its a small club and if you're not in it then you're fair game.

It's become increasingly obvious in recent years that England is basically a paedophile ring with a flag.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dog_Meat posted:

You're right though - when the queen finally dies I think we'll finally sever that link to WW2 and the obsession might ease off a bit. And the younger generation are doing an amazing job of calling bullshit on nationalism and all the old institutions that were untouchable before. That combined with social media and the ability to record so much gives me hope that things will improve and stamp out a lot of the deep rooted problems. I just hope there's something left for them when they're finally running things.

You say that like they're ever going to be allowed to run things. There is no shortage of worthless failchildren waiting their turn in the big chair.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kinda interesting how nearly every country has this mythology of organised crime that 'used to be respectable'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

deoju posted:

Chevy Chase also has a decades long reputation of being a colossal dickhead.

Famously. Something something, let them fight.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah, the whole 'helpless victim who must be unquestioningly defended' thing is its own kind of well-demonstrated toxic. And really just another manifestation of madonna-whore syndrome.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You seen the poo poo that fantasy and sci-fi writers get away with?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

CPL593H posted:

This whole thing has been pretty weird because I can't remember the last time anyone gave a poo poo about Johnny Depp in the last 20 years. But now everyone is crawling out of the woodwork to say how great he is and what a raw deal he's getting.

Depp at this point basically has about the right mix of nostalgia, horny, and inertia on his side, unfortunately.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Despite all the extremely online ideas about Zack Snyder, everyone who's actually worked with him seems to be willing to take a bullet for the guy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Talk poo poo, get hit. :decorum: is only ever used as an excuse to act like a shithead to people minding their own business.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Karloff posted:

It's a good point. It's almost irreconcilable. Fundamentally I think it's because people's very internal and emotional feelings have been institutionalised into the justice system which means society doesn't get any better because "punish the bad people" is an emotional idea that doesn't solve anything. There's a wealth of evidence that rehabilitation over punishment is the way forward but it involves showing compassion for people which some are not willing to give, even if it would be better if they did. I hate the idea of the death penalty, I think it's abhorrent and when I have an argument with someone who is all for it their argument is always "if someone hurt or killed your family, wouldn't you want them dead", to which my answer has to be "probably". But that desire for retribution will not make anything better, the killer of my family should be helped to be better, not punished, even if I hate the idea. I think the part I bolded most resonates with me of your post because I do think it's the way forward, just a challenging one.

Also how much of that is strongly tied into society's pervasive and institutionalised racism, hatred for the poor, and overall caste system that's literally a thinly disguised substitute for chattel slavery. Look at how hard people go to bat for their faves, or politicians they don't even like but have it hammered into them they need for the latest Most Important Election Of Our Lives. Or the entirely mythical concept of law enforcement we're taught from birth by TV. You don't have a justice system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hillary Clinton might not be the best example there, just sayin.