Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

ihatepants posted:

How about that time in 2014 when she posted the pro-IDF messages to her social media accounts and calling Hamas cowards for hiding behind women and children at the same time that Israeli forces were bombing women and children in Gaza?

I wish more folks (not in this thread, just in general) would care more about this and stop hailing Gadot as some kind of feminist icon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Darko posted:

People do a weird thing where they want to binary categorize people as good/bad as opposed to judging specific actions at the time. While not doing it to themselves and adding all kinds of excuses and nuance for all the bad they did in their lives. Gadot's stance on Israel is hugely problematic and probably based on her background and being exposed to one-sided information. Her making a stance against Ratner in public is good. You (as in people, not you) should be able to simultaneously judge her harshly for Zionism while being positive about her stance on abuse, but people have a problem doing that and default to all good/all bad.

Sure, totally, I agree, and of course it's great that she's taking a stand against Ratner. I've just seen a lot of both women and men portraying her as a champion of modern feminism recently, which in light of her past statements is pretty gross.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

That's... correct? What are we saying Rachel Dolezal was cool now?

Crews' question was "why is it okay to be transgender, but not transracial", which is a moronic statement

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Stallone too, apparently

(warning: daily mail + gross details)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5081605/Sylvester-Stallone-accused-forcing-teen-threesome.html

peer
Jan 17, 2004

TIME's person of the year: "the silence breakers"

http://time.com/time-person-of-the-year-2017-silence-breakers/

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Vegetable posted:

Learning that there were feminists who vehemently organized against trans people was a big eye-opener for me. In my imagination they were natural allies. This illusion broke really quickly when I stumbled on what I think is Canada's most popular feminism website: http://www.feministcurrent.com/

You can't go very far without stumbling on some trans-hating article (one is literally on the front page).

Second most-shared article: "‘TERF’ isn’t just a slur, it’s hate speech", compares the term to "kike" or the n-word :pwn:

peer
Jan 17, 2004

“I said something like, ‘Whoa, let’s relax for a sec, let’s chill.’

“He probably moved my hand to his dick five to seven times,” she said. “He really kept doing it after I moved it away.”

“It was 30 minutes of me getting up and moving and him following and sticking his fingers down my throat again."

"“After he bent me over is when I stood up and said no, I don’t think I’m ready to do this, I really don’t think I’m going to do this."

yeah how could he POSSIBLY have known that she wasn't into it??? After all she apparently only said "no" a single time

edit: gently caress!!!

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Radcliffe doesn't think it's a problem to have friends who are "really loving racist" so gently caress him

peer
Jan 17, 2004

davidspackage posted:

Can you give this some context?

Sure: http://metro.co.uk/2016/08/21/daniel-radcliffe-admits-hes-friends-with-some-really-fing-racist-people-6081533/

"I know some really f***ing racist people, friends I vehemently disagree with. They’re not white supremacists, they would never be that extreme, but they are anti-immigration and absolutely voted to leave in Brexit.’ He added: ‘And I’m still friends with them because I don’t think that friendship should be drawn along those lines. That’d be a really sad way of viewing the world."

peer
Jan 17, 2004

davidspackage posted:

I don't know, it's hard to determine from that snippet but maybe he means that he won't cut them out of his life but instead try to convince them of a different viewpoint? I'm not saying you can't find him a prick or anything but seems harsh.

Seems charitable to assume he's trying hard to change his racist friends' minds when he doesn't mention that at all (though of course I don't know for sure). I've ended relationships with friends (and family) over them being "really loving racist" and while I can't demand everyone else do the same thing I'm sure as hell gonna judge him for it :colbert:

peer
Jan 17, 2004

According to several surveys I saw shortly after the referendum, anti-immigrant sentiment was the main reason people voted Leave. Racist rhetoric and scaremongering also featured heavily in the Leave campaign

kinda like with Trump

peer
Jan 17, 2004

I'd rather miss art from lovely people than support them, thanks

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

That covers more than 99% of all the art ever made.

Sure, but might as well start with A) people who are alive and B) people who out themselves as lovely

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Yeah and you'd think Israel wouldn't treat palestinians like poo poo and murder them for fun after the horrors of the holocaust but here we are. People are Pretty Good at justifying/ignoring lovely things happening to others even if they've experienced similar themselves

peer
Jan 17, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

Do you suspect he’s a mass murderer because Indiana Jones shoots a lot of Nazis?

fuckin lol dude

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Bateman apologises (kind of): http://variety.com/2018/tv/global/jason-bateman-apology-jeffrey-tambor-jessica-walter-arrested-development-1202820825/

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I actually like the words he used here, but I just wish he'd have said them somewhere like out in public and not just in a Twitter post. There's just something very shallow and artificial about a Twitter apology.

"I sound like I’m condoning yelling at work. I do not.
It sounds like I’m excusing Jeffery. I do not.
It sounds like I’m insensitive to Jessica. I am not."

I mean... he did do those things. You can't just say "it might SOUND like I'm doing this thing but I wasn't!!" to deflect criticism, just like Cross can't say "I'm not racist" to magically absolve himself from saying racist poo poo.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

The Office also has Gervais which is bad enough and the Simpsons had that extremely lovely handling of the Apu thing recently. I think you'd have a hard time finding any kind of entertainment where nobody involved is an rear end in a top hat

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Morgan Freeman's turn: https://edition.cnn.com/2018/05/24/entertainment/morgan-freeman-accusations/index.html

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I thought it was his step-niece? And it was more of a tabloid accusation that he refused to respond to. Still really disgusting but not incest disgusting.

This is confusingly phrased but "step-granddaughter" seems right:

quote:

While they aren’t related by blood, Freeman has known Hines since she was a small child and has been a part of her life for years.

The 80-year-old adopted her biological mother, Deena Adair, during his first marriage to Jeanette Adair-Bradshaw and then helped raise Hines with his second wife, Myrna Colley-Lee. Adair was Jeanette’s daughter.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

esperterra posted:

Is it rape if I meet a cop at a bar and they tell me a different job when I ask them what they do for a living, then go back to their place and get down?

In some places it's rape to trick someone into sleeping with you by lying to them yeah

Your hypothetical would certainly count if (say) the other person expressed strong anti-police values and the cop decided to lie to have a chance at getting anywhere

peer
Jan 17, 2004

about time someone stood up to all the people in this thread claiming only men are ever abusive

peer
Jan 17, 2004

There's no contradiction between "men are taught women are theirs for the taking" and "women can be abusive too". There, it's now stated for the record, maybe it won't come up again

peer
Jan 17, 2004

"This abuse victim behaves illogically, there must be more to the story" is some dumb poo poo

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

But he was fired because those tweets legitimately were gross, including one that was sent to an actual pedophile. It's understandable why Disney fired him

Agreed, Disney should have fired (or rather not hired) him years ago, when they first learned about the tweets and he ended up apologising for them. They're (to my eyes) more than bad enough to lose your job over. Firing him now, solely because actual-rapist-and-rape-apologist cernovich pushed them to, is bullshit

edit: and also worse people and actual abusers are still associated with disney, as lots of goons have pointed out. He was fired not because of his tweets, but because Lead Pizzagate Piece Of poo poo cernovich was able to draw attention to them in the most obvious display of bad faith in history

peer fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jul 22, 2018

peer
Jan 17, 2004

wonder if anyone will argue that filming yourself "raping" a baby doll is totally normal and we've all done it and who are we to judge and he was only in his early thirties (basically a kid) and has clearly changed since then and

edit: apparently the video was intended as a parody of the Dexter show, only rather than kill murderers to prevent murder he rapes babies to somehow prevent them from becoming criminals. I don't loving know

peer
Jan 17, 2004

the sjws :argh:

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Alan_Shore posted:

It's so weird. Imagine a story comes out where a 17 year old girl claims a 33 year old male celebrity, who played her father, gave her booze then raped her. Then they pose together naked in bed for photos. He then pays her to keep quiet. Would the response really be "hmm, this is a muddled story. I wonder what's going on? Very suspicious" or would it be "gently caress that monster, I hope he dies?"

I think most people are (or at least should be) less concerned with how this affects Argento personally and more concerned with how it will be, and already has been, used to discredit the movement as a whole, including by Weinstein himself.

If the allegations are true (which they certainly appear to be), gently caress Argento and also gently caress anyone who points to this as evidence #metoo is tainted or illegitimate or hypocritical

peer
Jan 17, 2004

not altogether surprised that Black appears to be an rear end in a top hat, but that still sucks

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Saying something offensive and then "accidentally" making an even worse statement while apologising seems exactly like the kind of thing norm would consider a funny joke

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Tornhelm posted:

Or maybe the person saying "hey don't use that word anymore" should grow the gently caress up and stop getting distraught over the use of a word in its modern context, instead of the outdated archaic roots it had that haven't had validity since before any of you were born.

Languages evolve and meanings change. If you can't accept that, you might as well start sending angry emails to JK Rowling over "Loony" Luna Lovegood, which similarly has its origins in women periodically going crazy due to the monthly lunar cycle. Using Crazy is similarly sexist, pretty much for the same reasons.

Be an adult and start evaluating what is said in the context that it is meant, and not in some stupid moral crusade because the language has moved on from its pre-20th Century meanings.

definitely the right thread for this kind of meltdown

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Does 30 episodes of Jordan Peterson/Candace Owens/Ben Shapiro really take his entire body of work and make it void?

build a thousand bridges, yet if you suck a SINGLE nazi's cock....

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Fargin Icehole posted:

Can i just say that Louis C.K is still funny though

wow thanks we're lucky someone was brave enough to come in here and say this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

peer
Jan 17, 2004

https://www.thedailybeast.com/louis-ck-doubles-down-with-jokes-on-on-911-retarded-kids-and-racial-tropes posted:

SAN JOSE, California—When Louis C.K. stepped onstage to a standing ovation and a full house at a San Jose comedy club Wednesday night, he got right to the point:

“I like to jerk off, and I don’t like being alone.”

Simple and without a trace of apology; it got a good laugh.

cool

peer
Jan 17, 2004

between that and his weak-rear end response when asked about mercury's sexuality, malek kind of sounds like a coward

peer
Jan 17, 2004

thanks dinesh

peer
Jan 17, 2004

love 2 read fanfiction about rape, in the sexual assault thread

peer
Jan 17, 2004

also that he wrote Bright

peer
Jan 17, 2004

gilliam out there saying he's a black lesbian and cleese tweeting "how can racism b real if race isnt real.... "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peer
Jan 17, 2004

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Men are bad, unironically.