Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

It's completely understandable to have mixed feelings about a friend after they're accused of lovely behavior, but I think some folks may not understand just how many people in their lives are quietly paying attention to their reactions to these issues. Whenever someone I know questions a #metoo accuser or makes excuses for some creep that they insist on keeping around, that person gets mentally filed in the "people who probably wouldn't have believed me either" pile. I may not cut ties with them, but I avoid any situation where their judgment might impact my safety.

I'm not suggesting that one allegation should be enough for someone to be permanently ostracized from all of society. I just think that the choice to defend a potential rapist is about more than that one friendship. Casting doubt on an accuser without any real cause to do so makes false rape allegations sound more common than they are, and keeping an abuser in your friend group may put other people you know at risk. I can see how this would seem like a much bigger issue for celebrities who are in the public eye, and I guess that's true in terms of public perception of assault allegations. But most of the assault stories that I've heard from my friends involve men whose professional or social circles waved off previous complaints about them. Many of those stories also ended with the victim as the one who's dropped by mutual friends because it's more comfortable to assume that they're overreacting to a misunderstanding than it is to realize that you were wrong about a rapist's character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Ryan Adams is also the guy who rearranged and rerecorded Taylor Swift's entire 1989 album, which got him a lot of good reviews and got Swift a lot of backhanded complements from folks who were only willing to acknowledge her songs once a man reinterpreted them. That whole thing was the weirdest mix of people who only listen to indie-style guitar music and "stuff young girls like is automatically stupid" misogyny.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

While it doesn't have much to do with the topic of the thread, one thing that's didn't get enough attention about Rowling was that back when she was trying to keep her newer mystery series under wraps, there was a whole fake bio for "Robert Galbraith" that claimed he was a combat veteran. And while writing under a pseudonym isn't automatically sketchy, it bugged me that her book about an injured veteran originally claimed to be from an actual veteran's perspective.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

At the risk of getting too off track from Hollywood, it's probably worth mentioning that the play My Fair Lady was based on was probably inspired by real-life misogynist Thomas Day, who adopted two preteen girls in hopes of raising his own ideal wife. Some of his techniques were both mentally and physically abusive. He didn't end up marrying either one, and there were definitely some folks creeped out by the situation. But nobody really stepped in to protect those girls.

Pygmalion-style stories can be creepy enough on their own, but it was disturbing to find out that one of the most familiar takes on the trope may be traced back to a documented case of grooming and child abuse.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I don't know if there's any evidence of Shaw flat-out saying the play was partly inspired by Day's story, but this wife-training project was well-known enough that it was referenced for generations after Thomas Day's death. For example, it's used as a subplot in an Anthony Trollope novel, and the character involved shares Day's physical description and educational background.

deety fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 11, 2021

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Alan Smithee posted:

welp, weekend update about to have an opening

I sure as gently caress hope so, but it's hard to see that happening. Maybe the fact that he's on the official Olympics network will add some pressure.

I'd also love to see some reflection from NBC and other outlets about their coverage of Simone Biles in the weeks and months before the competition, painting her as this unstoppable force but also constantly linking her to (and often asking her about) her abuser. I know she's tried to be open about her struggles, in part because that keeps USA Gymnastics officials from acting like Nassar was the only issue and his conviction fixed everything. But the coverage of Biles's experience often felt shaped into a fuzzy "look what she's overcome" sports story rather than actually taking a more serious look at how unsafe and exploitative a lot of gym environments have been for young women.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Someone doesn't have to be a Weinstein-style rapist to be a loving creep though.

Tarantino wrote a scene about his character engaging in his personal fetish in a very public setting. It doesn't matter how tame the fetish is, and the fact that foot stuff is pretty mild would make it easier for him to involve that kink in movies.

That doesn't necessarily hit the level of exiling him from Hollywood forever. But this whole thread is about powerful people, mostly men, using their position to indulge their sexual desires. Tarantino setting things up so that he got to suck Salma Hayek's toes fits as an example of that whether or not it's outright abusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Uh oh! We better stop talking about sexual assault allegations against a dead white celebrity here in the "Sexual Assault and the Culture of Hollywood" thread, lest we come across as too performative or PC!

Because that's the real problem with Hollywood and also society: people giving too much of a poo poo about the victims.