Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

What the loving gently caress

quote:

• Allison Mack, 35, is reportedly second in command of a secret sex cult at the heart of self-help group NXIVM
  • Mack is perhaps best known for playing Clark Kent's friend Chloe Sullivan on the long-running TV series Smallville
  • NXIVM, founded by Keith Raniere brands itself as a self-help group, but former members have said it's really a cult
  • Frank Parlato, a former spokesman for NXIVM, revealed on his blog that Mack has been running a secret sorority within the cult that brands women
  • The sorority, called DOS, has a master-slave hierarchy where Mack is only second to Raniere in terms of seniority, the blog states
  • She then presides over a small group of slaves, who in turn must recruit their own set of slaves or else face corporeal punishment
  • On her personal website, Mack says Raniere has been her mentor for many years
  • A spokesman for Mack said the actress is not speaking to the press currently
  • Earlier this week, former Dynasty star Catherine Oxenberg met with prosecutors in New York to detail her daughter's experiece in the group

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That's fair, I don't read Brit news often and don't really know follow what's a good paper and what's garbage. But looking into it, the New York Times did a piece last month before Mack's name was tossed in, confirming pretty much everything up to that point.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/17/nyregion/nxivm-women-branded-albany.html

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

precision posted:

One thing I worry about is the inevitable first false accusation, as it will start casting doubt on every accuser, and in some of these cases there is literally no way to "prove" that the incident took place (eg when someone is dead, as with Corey Haim). We try to live by "innocent until proven guilty" but when it comes to things like this, we (myself very much included) tend to just automatically believe everyone who comes forward. But it's naive in the extreme to think there just won't be false accusations.

There's probably been a false accusation already. Like you said, how would you know? The sheer volume of some perpetrators' incidents virtually guarantees that someone would try to get in on it for greed or fame or a twisted sense of justice. It's even easier with this new wave of "I don't remember but I apologize anyway" PR management responses. And it absolutely shouldn't affect the search for earnest truth and reconciliation, but it will, because it's always easier to deflect and counterattack than to accept and redress.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

esperterra posted:

Definitely. The road to forgiveness would be a long one, it's not like in a couple weeks if they apologize then all is well. poo poo would take years of real growth.

And in more than a few cases, ideally, legal consequences.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

gently caress off Morrissey

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It's 2017 now though and no one cares if you're gay unless you use coming out as an excuse for your sexual abuse

For an older guy like Travolta it doesn't matter nearly as much what it's like now as what it was like during his formative years. And back then you shoved that poo poo back further than the Christmas ornaments on December 26th.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Timby posted:

I believe he was rumored to have fathered January Jones' baby while still married to Stephanie March. (Edit: Yeah, in March's divorce filings she says that he was sleeping with Jones on the side for ages.)

Who is this stallion, this Adonis incarnate, that Stephanie March wasn't good enough?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

here's a quick lesson in How Not To Apologize for Sexual Harassment, by MARIO BATALI™

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Timby posted:

They've got like six months until release, but Miller was said to have a pretty significant role in Deadpool 2. That would be a pretty expensive month or two of re-shoots.

Replace him with digital inserts of Plummer from The Sound of Music and Star Trek VI, no matter how obvious or inappropriate they are. The only reshoots you need are equally obvious or inappropriate inserts of Deadpool's reactions.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I dare you to make the case that Max Landis is going to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead this poo poo with a straight face.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Stewart and Goldblum should get fake(?) married like Shatner and Spader did.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Every man in Hollywood should preemptively and unconditionally apologize, right now, even if they're dead certain they didn't hurt anyone. Because they did. The TMZ isn't the studio zone, it's the perversion zone.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

GORDON posted:

Drunk people can't consent.

And a drunken aggrieving party sure as hell can violate consent. If a drunk driver is guilty when they cross the yellow line and crash into someone else then a drunk date should be guilty when they cross this line. Whether their victim is also drunk is immaterial.

Snowman_McK posted:

These are the people who'll complain that the movement got derailed by petty poo poo, while being the exact petty fuckers who derailed the movement.

At best they're fair-weather allies trying to anticipate which way the wind's blowing, at worst they're agents provocateur.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

21 Muns posted:

Yeah, just as I figured, she was being entirely reasonable and just not tiptoeing around the issue. Shame on all the people who came in this thread and said poo poo like "ACK SHE DISCREDITED HERSELF AND THE STORY BY USING THESE HORRIBLE VULGAR INSULTS".

You're why the words "righteous" and "self-righteous" aren't synonymous.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Toplowtech posted:

Hey i do agree with most your points, i already pointed out in this thread i believe #metoo is going to crash and burn over some nonsense (just before the aziz thing started in fact), because of the terrible qualities of a small minority of feminist INTERNET warriors and the fact the people in the other side are professional Hollywood machine pr men and women. It's not a loving conspiracy, it's business. And there is a side that's far much better at it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

If you find yourself agreeing with Rapey Joe, please see a medical professional immediately.

Babe.net is literally "for girls who don't give a gently caress", this is what happens when you have journalism without standards. There's a reason real journalists cross their Ts and dot their Is before going to press with something like this, it's precisely so the focus stays on the story and not the storyteller. You can just say "if anyone dismisses Grace because of this then they're uninformed" but that's just it, it's much easier for them to be uninformed and catch a wrong initial impression when poo poo gets this sloppy and irresponsible.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

jet sanchEz posted:

Yeah but the next time some rear end in a top hat is accused they can try the "This is just like Ansari and the hit-job by Babe" and people might just buy it.

If the Washington Post hadn't been very careful with the Roy Moore story, there'd be a (known) pedophile sitting in the U.S. senate.

No, you see, things aren't perfect so everything is terrible and nothing matters.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I have loved and had romantic encounters with women throughout my life but pretended to like men for attention, and I choose now to live like a gay man to deflect sexual misconduct allegations. I want to deal with this honestly and openly and that starts with examining my own behavior, but keep hangin' in there boys :bigtran:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

starkebn posted:

Unless they're cutting off feet for display somewhere, foot fetishists are pretty damned harmless in my opinion.

It'd be much ado about nothing if not for the fact that his subjects of interest are all teenagers. A fetish is an object of sexualization by definition.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

quote:

Michael Cohen, his former lawyer and top aide, defended him against Ivana Trump’s claims, saying, "By the very definition, you can't rape your spouse."

This repugnance is never gonna die, isn't it?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

I think you've uh, totally misunderstood what I've said.

If you think that was misunderstanding then tell me how you didn't come off as saying that ethical choices only matter if they're legitimized by the public at large, there's no point internally considering right from wrong since it's all a popularity contest.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

21 Muns posted:

Killing yourself is not a get-out-of-jail-free card

:thunk:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Carrying your ammo drums, the new carrying your printer?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The implication was that you are meant to view Castro with some special horror, coming from a country that didn't decriminalize homosexual activity until the early 2000's and literally has state sanctioned reeducation camps to "cure" gay men and women. LGBT awareness and rights in Cuba were won exactly as they were in any other country, by the people themselves.

In a thread that's significantly about recognizing that people in positions of power and authority can sexually abuse others with much greater ease, nuance and access than the stereotypical back alley violent rapist, you can't come to grips with the fact that a totalitarian dictator is de facto the biggest abuser of them all. Like, even hypothetically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This argument gets more bizarre as it goes on. Straight up - there is no reason whatsoever to believe what a three letter agency says in a tabloid about someone they'd tried to assassinate two dozen times.

Even hypothetically.