Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Yeah, the Hollywood thing is more salacious and thus more headline-worthy since America has used Hollywood as Meritocracy Royalty since it came into existence, but there's literally no industry in this country where this poo poo isn't constantly happening, especially in businesses where the degrees of power one person can wield over others is as wide as the producer/director/lead actor and neophyte performer/crew member is.

poo poo, I'm still waiting for Jeff Epstein's plane trips to become a story. That would be the moment that would really shake American culture, given the names Clinton and Trump would surely come up alongside Spacey and others. Especially given Epstein's registered sex offender status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Polanski's also a weird case because at this point the victim herself would rather his initial charges be dropped because she's sick of having to put up with her now-normal life getting thrown into disarray since every couple of years some DA or judge in California goes "we're gonna get that little worm!!" for easy fawning press.

You don't see anyone coming out to defend him over the more recent allegations, though. He's pretty well hosed when it comes to those.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

porfiria posted:

The only celebrity I would be genuinely upset to learn is a pervert is Keanu. Well and Amy Adams I guess.

The rumor that's always gone around Hollywood is actually the opposite, that David Geffen got very handsy with him when he was just breaking in (the period just post Bill & Ted and My Own Private Idaho).

David Geffen is a ticking time bomb of sexual miconduct, actually, based on the number of rumors about him out there.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Doctor Nick posted:

I'm interested in hearing about this. what kind of rumors?

Sexual favors in exchange for "making you a star, kid!" by pressuring a label he owned/had sway with the higher-ups of to give you/your band a big push, getting you a slot on a star's tour, getting you to a more advanced step in the audition process, the quid quo pro sort of stuff that Hollywood has traded in since time immemorial. Given his career stretches back to 1970, and given the norms of the eras he had massive power in, it shouldn't be a real shock.

Keanu is the only person I've heard definitively tied to Geffen deciding to get a little bit, give a little bit with a hot young star on the verge of a breakthrough, but it wouldn't surprise me if a name like River Phoenix came up.

Me, I'm still waiting for the Jeff Epstein shoe to drop, especially in the ripple of Kevin Spacey's outing (Spacey was close with Epstein) and that dude's registered sex offender status. There's always been smoke around his private plane flights over international waters. That one is explosive as the stories around that involve two Presidents, both of whom have a history of sexual assault! Never mind the princes and Nobel laureates and the whole private island thing (Little St. James).

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Mel was the one person in Hollywood who was willing to talk to Jodie in the wake of the John Hinckley bullshit - at a time where he was a new hot star and she was mired under the publicity of all of that - and actively listened and helped her get through that time in her life, which was very, very rough. She considers him family. Robert Downey Jr. feels the same way. Those two hit it off making Air America and Mel and Jodie basically are at least half the reason RDJ wasn't someone who ended up dead in a gutter. Mel was also one of the first people to reach out to Robert after that final stay in rehab/jail that has kept him straight since -- he got him the lead role in The Singing Detective and put up the collateral to keep the production insured. So those two will always come down on the side of forgiveness when it comes to Mel until he like outright murders someone.

Hollismason posted:

Wait how is Keanu Reeves involved in all of this

Cause that is really really surprising

Like I said, it's a rumor, and it's him having been victimized by Geffen very early in his career.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This is actually exactly what happened.

Also the exact scene is in the original Schrader screenplay, so he didn't write the scene at all.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Nah, it's all there - Scorsese actually sticks closer to the script than most actors would, funny enough. Then again Taxi Driver is obsessively close to the script overall, it's kind of amazing how precise Marty went at replicating what he read on screen.

edit: although I can see how people can imagine Marty writing that scene since he was coked out of his mind in the 70s and kept a high-powered handgun in the trunk of his car alongside the reels of his cut of Taxi Driver because he was afraid Columbia was going to want them so they could recut the movie

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 17, 2017

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

And Kamoshida, like most of the bosses in Persona 5, is based on an actual person: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masato_Uchishiba

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Reynolds and Leitch are definitely mad as hell, but imagine how ripshit Fox executives who are trying to secure a Disney buyout of the studio are over this poo poo. "Co-star of one of the biggest hits we've had in the last couple of years is a rapist who also has drugged women's drinks at bars" is really not the headline you want when $54 billion is on the line, especially since Disney has to be wary of any scandalous stuff in the wake of Harvey's sociopathic lifestyle that was just as much in full swing in the decade plus that they owned Miramax (which somehow they've managed to keep themselves only slightly muddied by).

There's no way he makes it to the final cut. The question really just comes down to: do they reshoot things to replace him or do they reshoot to simply eliminate him from the movie.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I think a lot of his current career thanks go to Shane Black and Jon Favreau as well. Gibson kept him afloat back in the day but Favreau is fought tooth and nail to get him in Iron Man when the studio didn't want him.

Joel Silver is primarily responsible for his life being on track, both on purpose and on accident - he was the first guy after Mel to throw Robert into something by getting him past insurers to be a big part of Gothika, where Robert ended up meeting Susan, who in like a year would be his wife and producer of pretty much everything he does. And then he convinced Shane Black that Robert was in good enough shape to be in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, RDJ and Shane hit it off huge on that set (as well as Kilmer, who swore off drinking the whole film in solidarity with his co-star), and from that point the future was set as KKBB was what Favreau considered proof that yeah this dude can carry a movie again.

But yeah, he probably wouldn't have had a zillion chances if his father wasn't who he was. He's a lot like Keifer Sutherland in that way - given chances after doing poo poo that would leave you blacklisted if your dad wasn't a mover and shaker and knew the people pulling the levers of power.

Jodie has good reason for treating Mel like family, the dude was the only person in Hollywood who was willing to talk or be seen with her after the Reagan shooting. She was put on the outs because of how her name was constantly being associated with "would-be assassination of immensely popular sitting President" and literally had no one to talk to because so much of her life up to that point had been appearing in Disney movies and Scorsese stuff. Mel was just in the big upswing of his career and risked a lot by associating himself with her. I feel like I posted this story already.

But yeah, nepotism has been a thing - it's always been a thing - in Hollywood. Always will be. Much like how the children of very rich people will always find a much easier path than, like, a Brad Pitt to finding themselves a movie star (as funny as it is to say that, it's true; Pitt didn't have a breakthrough until Thelma and Louise, and didn't actually achieve star status until the one-two-three of A River Runs Through It, Legends of The Fall, and Interview With The Vampire, which was a good eight years into his time in LA). One could argue that the nepotism and "rich people playground" aspect of Hollywood only helps to feed the virulent nature of assault through the industry, because when in America do people who have any sort of power ever have to pay for their crimes?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The story of this is nuts btw, and I always assumed Jodie got the boot because she wouldn't play ball and pretend to date guys for publicity.

Yep. It's easy to forget that Keifer was a huge joke before 24 and hung on for like two whole decades before he got his big break. You could definitely see Travolta that way, too.

I mean, going out in public with dudes would have allowed for, like, People Magazine to present a narrative of her working past it with the help of her man (one of the most common PR campaigns), so I imagine her agent maybe floated the idea. Then again Jodie was in college and fully coming to grips with her sexuality when poo poo happened, and in 1981 contending with being a lesbian AND the inspiration for the attempted murder of Ronald Reagan (who also still had a lot of ties back to Hollywood, let's not forget) WHILE going to college is a hell of a lot to deal with. Imagine having to throw "fake a relationship" on top of that. She basically just laid low, went to class, did some ensemble work, did some French films, waited until the world moved on, and wound up getting The Accused and her career immediately got back on track.

Rhyno posted:

I seem to recall Keifer being in a shitload of popular films.

Yeah, but generally as a supporting character, tucked in the second tier or playing the villain. Stuff with him in a more starring role tended to be small-budget pictures, and he showed up in a lot of cult hits, which can warp a retrospective view of things since the stuff that wasn't necessarily a hit back then is a "you mean you haven't seen...?" movie now. 24 was him being the heroic star in a massive mainstream success. Keifer is usually the best part of a lot of those cult hits, but only in like, The Lost Boys was he one of the selling points. He got lucky that his career got under way in the VHS era and his work could have a second life on home video.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

He was in the 90s, since for that decade he was more famous for loving around on Julia Roberts while engaged to her (as Julia was cementing her long period as America's Sweetheart) than for any performance he did.

Like he got work, but he was way down the list after he pulled that.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Yep!

I mean, it wasn't like she was blacklisted, but her name was associated with the assassination constantly in the wake of it since Hinckley - who'd already been arrested for stalking Foster previously - said he did what he did to impress her and of course the news went hog wild with "Crazed Gunman shoots Our Beloved President to impress Former Disney Starlet!"

The Accused came out in October 1988, right at the tail end of Reagan's second term. She essentially "sat out" the Reagan administration because of the incident (she did a few films, like The Hotel New Hampshire, but nothing substantial).

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

More importantly, she's someone who won a Pulitzer for convincing the nation that Monica Lewinsky was a naive horny gold digger valley girl with an eating disorder.

She's never apologized for this or even shown the slightest bit of self-reflection, even as she climbs aboard a movement whose seeds were planted out of the current President boasting on tape of sexual misconduct. She literally has written about that time since then in a way that would make you think she wasn't literally one of the preeminent voices dragging the immensely less powerful person caught up in it through the mud.

And this is ignoring other dumb bad poo poo she's done like get a neurologist saying "if you're having a stroke, don't go to the emergency room" without, I dunno, talking to another doctor.

Or comparing North Korea to Mean Girls.

Or once calling Al Gore so feminized that he was almost lactating. During the 2000 election.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Das Boo posted:

I can understand using real spit in a film. I can't understand or come up with an innocent reason as to why the performing actor was pushed aside so the director himself could spit on the actress.

And I wound up reading everything that was in quotations to negotiate my way around the padded drivel. Oh, hey, her five year-old showed up in PJs and eating a raw cucumber. How... relevant.

Given the choice between being spit on my Michael Madsen and Quentin Tarantino, I'd probably go with Tarantino, too.

Who the gently caress knows where Michael Madsen's mouth has been.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Safeword posted:

Ideally, punishments would have happened at the time rather than being dished out later. I don't think anyone saying Gunn was vile has said the situation is anything but messy.

He’s an independent contractor who was making or between making independent films when he tweeted that stuff, who was going to punish him?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Zogo posted:

World exclusive: Video shows Harvey Weinstein behaving inappropriately with businesswoman
https://news.sky.com/story/world-exclusive-video-shows-harvey-weinstein-behaving-inappropriately-with-businesswoman-11496038

loving hell :suicide:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Slutitution posted:

Why did Charles have to kill Sharon Tate instead of this guy?

Ironically, because he was in Europe at the time

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Second unit directors are invariably some long-time guy who was worked for the director before and has spent enough time on set that his natural inclinations in shot choice and framing is going to be similar enough to the director’s as to make it smooth. Like, JUSTICE LEAGUE’s second unit was directed by Damon Caro, who has been doing stunts for Snyder since Dawn of the Dead and has worked pretty much every show Snyder’s done since.

And Singer evidently did return to Bohemian Rhapsody to do post work on it (read: he came back because the heat around Spacey and Spacey associates had died down), so he still, between pre, shooting, and post, really did a much larger percentage of the movie and thus would easily win any arbitration that would be made. The guy who came in probably got a massive paycheck to save the picture (at least if his agent is any good), did his couple of weeks, and then was like “cool” when Singer showed up to actually finish the picture and got the hell out of there as fast as possible. This is honestly probably the best sequence of events for this guy, since generally any movie that has such late in the day seismic changes turns out to be awful, and the less his name is loosely associated with it, the better. People he takes meetings with will know, but they’ll look at “he showed up to save that movie” as a positive. I imagine being a scab director for when one inevitably goes insane/gets arrested/dies/fucks the studio chief’s S.O. would be a pretty good racket if it happened even relatively often enough.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I feel like I heard stories of Rush being a complete piece of poo poo/creep/rear end in a top hat coming out of the Peter Sellers HBO biopic thing he did, so that's not a surprise

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

LesterGroans posted:

Remake the video as John Doe in the back of the cop car, Kevin

Kevin Spacey just releases increasingly more bizarre videos playing characters from his acting past, finally ending with a video where he slides underneath a bed and disappears forever

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Can't wait to find out Drake's verse on "Poetic Justice" is about like a fourteen year old or something

Mostly because that's the only Drake I've ever heard, I literally associate him with the "no/yes" meme more than I do... anything else he's ever done, actually, I never watched Degrassi either

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The real reality will turn out to be that the corporations that were now buying movie studios left and right knew there was a space between "adult" R movies and "family" PG movies that could precisely target the prime demographic of teenagers, without having to put things in that might turn them off from a PG movie and peppering in "exciting" things like limited cursing or a quick peek at a titty. Studios then came up with PG-13 with the MPAA, and looked at the most recent "scandalous" PG movies and told everyone "oh it's because of these". Which, given what I've read about Hollywood over its entire history, is probably what actually happened.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Who or what is a Moby?

Remember that Gwen Stefani song where she's singing about "here we are now going to the South Side"

that's actually a Moby song.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Timby posted:

It's not like Italy is renowned for its ... progressive views on women's rights, either.

They were trying to chase Asia Argento out of the country before she also got outed as a sex pest.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I'm sure Dario probably stepped over some lines, especially when he was riding high on the hog in the 70s and 80s, but nobody's ever really come forward and you would have figured that would have happened at least once since Asia got outed as a cradle snatcher, but at the same time, the way Italian media flame-broiled her over the Harvey stuff, attacking a famous Italian director would probably be even worse for an accuser.

So, for the time being, enjoy, I guess, but never assume sainthood or anything.

I mean, did anyone really predict Charlie Rose, or an infirm George H.W. Bush? You never know what tomorrow'll bring!

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Skwirl posted:

George HW was a known sex pest since the 80s, just no one cared then.

But did you think he would still be able to do it when he could barely move. That was the surprising thing, dude was so close to the end and his body was so barely functioning the idea he could even reach a woman’s buttocks would have been impressive if it wasn’t so gross

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Davros1 posted:

Seeing the sweetheart deal that was cut for him the last time that allowed him to skate practically free, I wouldn't be surprised if they just said "Well, he's dead now, no need to investigate any further" and drop the whole thing.

Not just skate free, but also “you can’t actually charge him for this again even if he continues doing this” on a federal level

Which of course

He did

It’s loving insanity

Like his defense team was planning on “uh, the deal he signed said nuh uh can’t be arrested for (litany of horrifying charges)”. That was their whole plan.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Or the dozens/seemingly hundreds of other billionaires, politicians, and other powerful people who have vested interest in not being outed as kiddie fuckers

A lot of people had a lot to lose if he squawked rather than croaked, and it was already suspicious as gently caress that he was sharing a cell with a multiple homicide committing ex-cop in a place that last year had one of its guards caught taking $25,000 in bribes to bring an inmate stuff. Never mind that two inmates escaped using bedsheets in the same year ANOTHER guard was bribed to look the other way and smuggle poo poo in in 2013

So needless to say

There’s reasons to be suspicious of “oh he just killed himself successfully two weeks after we had to put him on suicide watch because he tried to kill himself the first time, no we will not be detailed in any of this, there’s absolutely nothing out of the ordinary here! Go back to bed America, here’s Young Sheldon, delight at his autism!”

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Kind of astounded people are surprised that an Italian film festival is giving awards to a sex pest given Italy’s general demeanor towards women and feminism, it’s not exactly a secret that the country has some, er, issues with sexual equality

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Yeah, there’s like zero downsides to that.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I forgot that show existed. I was thinking more about what Joss Whedon did to her, then the more recent bullshit around her being on Bull.

She also got molested by the stunt coordinator on True Lies when she was 12

It’s a real poo poo career

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Yeah, punk music was all about pissing off the squares, and wearing swastikas was a good way to rile people up; then actual Nazis started coming to shows because they thought they had commonality with them and the scene went “oh gently caress well we should probably stop doing that! Also we should kick the poo poo out of these loving fascists.”

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It could genuinely be a dumb error. It could also be a galaxy brain way to cause her harm without breaking the order. By 'outing' her he's removing her agency about whether to keep that private or not, and forcing her into dealing with it.

Bingo bingo bingo

As has been pointed out in GenChat when this got posted, Amy has a movie coming out, and he might just be trying to ram personal issues into what’s supposed to be a bright moment for her, perhaps even potentially forcing her to have to recall the trauma since it only takes one rear end in a top hat on a Zoom call to go “so you have a restraining order against your former boyfriend, director Shane Carruth...”

It’s an abuser’s way to try to get a little bit more pain out of someone without, y’know, doing something that gets them arrested

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm aware I just figured the draconian laws for normal stuff we put in place would've carried over to get the actual bad stuff.

Not like it does in our country, why would it somewhere else

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I don't think anyone would call the internet "mainstream" in 1990 to 1992, either. It was maybe the beginning of people talking about it being a thing, but it wouldn't hit the mainstream until, at absolute earliest, 1994 (when Prodigy introduced a WWW client to their service and Amazon was founded) and more likely 1995 when Microsoft bundled Internet Explorer with Windows 95 (or even 1996, when AOL abandoned the "per-hour" charges and switched to a monthly bill).

Besides, people who wanted to get off to underage cartoons were cranking it to Disney cartoons for decades before any of this (or even before anime), and it's weird that people pretend that this stuff only popped up in the 90s. Snow White, Cinderella, Alice, Aurora, they're all teenagers at oldest in their depictions and I can assure you there were people getting off to lewd drawings of them through things like tijuana bibles in the times that those movies were still in theaters. It's like people going "furries came from Lola Bunny!"; sure, maybe a generation of them were awakened by that character, but the first real meteorite of people getting off to bipedal talking mascot characters traces back to at least Disney's Robin Hood, and probably all the way back to Disney's first "funny animals" cartoons, since there are tijuana bibles of Mickey and Minnie and Donald and Goofy all getting it on.

The internet didn't really invent any porn, just made it much, much, much more accessible.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Call Me By Your Hemoglobin

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Did Ray Fisher say anything specific about Zach Snyder on Justice League? Has Zach Snyder said anything about Ray Fisher?

Nothing about the problems Ray has had with WB or Whedon, mostly this:

https://twitter.com/ray8fisher/stat...05%2Fframe.html

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/stat...05%2Fframe.html

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

After following Steve Donzinger's case nothing about how our court system works can shock me anymore.

What's happening to Spears reminds me of the people that gently caress over old people through legal guardianship. I wanna say the second season of Dirty Money on Netflix had an episode on it but they'll steal elderly people's homes and sell them and poo poo. Real hosed up.

It’s quite literally what John Mahoney is doing to the elderly people in his nursing home in Say Anything. That sort of poo poo’s been going on forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

lol nothing shady about the modelling industry.

Leo is very much a step up from your average modeling photographer, holy gently caress is every straight guy in that profession skeevy as hell