Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
There’s probably a conversation to be had about the implication of cancelling a show/film because of a tainted lead when it will cause collateral damage to everyone else who worked on it. There’s probably also a conversation to be had about the scale of punishment/rehabilitation for varying behaviors. But, most of the people [read: men] publicly asking these questions tend to be scummy apologists so I mostly don’t trust the sincerity or productivity of those discussions yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

If we trust Grace, we can’t say it was miscommunication. Yes means yes.

Miseducation, maybe. Some writers have argued that this is indicative of a knowledge gap where a lot of people are still operating on an older model of “no means no” (although this is hard to stomach here because Grace’s account indicates that she rebuffed him several times). But, Lindy West has a pretty good rebuttal in the NYT today, I think, where she outlines that “yes means yes” is neither new nor radical.

I think the key takeaway from all of this, though, is that Aziz is just the current face of this particular discussion; the overwhelming reaction is less about him specifically and more about the troubling fact that a lot of people think this unhealthy interaction is normal.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Banfield’s “open letter” was more atrocious than that e-mail but, yeah, she probably shouldn’t have responded.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

lol at the idea that people who don’t want to believe women are now “vindicated,” as if venue/journalist make a difference to them. Ansari didn’t deny poo poo and the story is still awful.

The conversation around Babe is something entirely different.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

teacup posted:

It's also not strictly about not believing women. I believe this woman. Separately, I believe babe.net seems dumb and hurt the cause.

I believe what Aziz did was not assault. Miscommunication at worst even reading only the babe.net post. Of course we can't get the other side at this point because it'd be PR suicide to actually defend himself.

Separately to that there are a lot of dumb arguments going around saying that due to his high power and fame he had a power imbalance (he has no control over her and this argument kinda spins out, if you've got a Netflix show you're powerful now?) or his age from a few posts ago? Seriously? A woman in her 20s can't just leave if she feels uncomfortable?

When the argument is coming down to "non verbal communication" and no other accusers have confirmed behaviour (other than drive bys on twitter ) then you don't have a slam dunk story on which you can proclaim to the masses as absolute proof that aziz is part of the problem etc. I don't even think it'll derail the cause as surely there are more obvious cases still to come that will take the news cycle anyway but that still doesn't give this a pass.

Either you believe her and it’s non-consensual (because she did not say yes to the entire encounter, because she pushed him away several times, and because she verbally expressed that she was not down in several situations), or you don’t believe her. Arguing legality is another issue, but the story as written (and basically confirmed by Aziz’s statement) is gross and coercive, which is not consensual and is the entire point of sharing the story: that the cultural norms around sex/consent are unhealthy and need to change.

The power imbalance is literally that he has cultural power and sway as a ‘woke feminist bae’ and is also a 34 year old man pursuing and pressuring a 22 year old woman who knows his public reputation. He has a loving PR team, for christ sake. The idea that he has to control her paycheck to be powerful is nonsense.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

At this point in the conversation, if you don’t have a good answer to these questions it means you don’t care, have awful opinions, and/or have a guilty conscience.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Honest Thief posted:

Do people consider this blog reliable? I've been following it for quite some time and it always seemed in the know, but this item, maaan, it's just too damning.

http://www.crazydaysandnights.net/2018/03/todays-blind-items-awww-shucks-rapist.html

I feel like an idiot reading these things because I have no idea who this is supposed to be and none of the comments helped me deduce the name either.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

You have to go away for a pretty long period of time to lose A-list status, especially after the dominant run that Hanks had in the 80's and 90's, and even into the early 2000s(Cast Away was released in 2000 and it was a huge hit).

The last performance by Hanks that drew a lot of critical acclaim was I guess Captain Phillips, but that was only about 5 years ago. And he's obviously not dropped out of the public eye since then, Bridge of Spies and Sully were both pretty well received. And this year he had The Post.

Also Toy Story, which has another sequel coming soon (which by itself is nothing because otherwise :lol: tim allen, but still)

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Where did all the laughs go?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I love that one of the Michael Ian Black tweets is about eating pizza. Is there actually anything related to that or is Mike just invoking pizzagate poo poo?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

It appeals to the common man who also could lose $35 million and still be a millionaire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I saw Louie live in Detroit in 2015. He opened his set with a tired “Detroit looks like it’s been bombed!” joke then later did several minutes in ‘black voice.’ The white suburban crowd loving loved it, and I realized that the “Louie is subversive for a point!” argument was untenable. I think some of the jokes at the peak of his career were self-aware and incisive, but his career was built on being a cruel rear end in a top hat on and off stage.