Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Noting that these are different movies, by "Selma'd" I mean there is a large media pushback on the historical narrative being presented in the film. In Selma's case it was probably tantamount to a conspiracy to keep it out of the Oscar race, while Bohemian Rhapsody has essentially been accused of being Freddy Mercury fanfic.

I remember people being upset about its portrayal of LBJ, but I don't recall it ever being used as an excuse for not nominating it for Oscars.

Mostly the media pushback for Selma that I recall was people upset that Selma wasn't nominated, since it was an Important Movie that was clearly good, and in no way an amateurish disjointed slog with stylistic choices that constantly undercut its own themes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
sometimes you've got to workshop a joke for 20 years in various green rooms before moving it onto the audience testing stage. when it's the centerpiece of his new Netflix special i guarantee it'll be what Mr. Jay Leno calls "yucktastic."

i've listened to podcasts about bill hicks AND lenny bruce so i know a lot about comedy, it's just how the "funny formula" goes.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Bust Rodd posted:

a bad look

regardless of how we feel about terrible stand-up routines can we all please, please agree to stop using this loving phrase

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

opinion that will probably get me some flak: Chappelle would probably be getting away with it just fine if he was the comedian he was 15 years ago, but he's not.

my favorite Dave Chappelle joke from his Netflix specials was when he said: "i'm very rich now, and i know celebrities."
then he banged his microphone against his leg.

i needed emergency surgery for my busted guts :(

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

ImpAtom posted:

Punching up will always be better received than punching down as well.

it may be "ethically preferable" but i'm not sure that's the same thing as "better received"

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Ellen should have come out by carving "Yep, I'm gay" into the chest of a headless corpse and stringing it up in the doorway of a barn, something like what would have been done by a more progressive gay icon, Hannibal Lecter.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
hard to believe that this thread is now worse than its equivalent in the video game forum, but impressive nonetheless

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The correct response to that situation would be to crucify the surviving members of the Ackerman family and retake the stolen money at the end of a bayonet

after all the talk about Louis CK, you’re still just going to masturbate in front of us??

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Gary Larson, against whose express wishes i am posting this comical page, is clearly some kind of prophet

i don't think he's raped anyone though

sorry to mention you in the sexual assault thread Mr. Larson, thereby associating you with the criminal sexual culture of Hollywood; please accept my apologies for both of the ways i've presently wronged you

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
sad to hear that about Juff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
the quote about weinstein is so egregiously terrible that I clicked through to the source article that deadline is reporting on. “surely they must be taking this at least slightly out of context, why would he say something so obviously repugnant?”

well, no, it’s exactly as awful in the source; Jesus Christ