Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 50 minutes!
re incels, here's some stuff you'll wish you never read:

Just follow that post, there's talk about their ideas to lobotomize women and put in dog brains, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Yeah, that was actually why I posted the incel quote as an actual quote so the incel talk could potentially continue in the Alt-Right thread where its more at home, biologically

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation

esperterra posted:

Also fair warning I don't find the relationship super gross in the finished story b/c lbr I may be gay af but when I was 16 I woulda died for a 20something Indiana Jones to have an illicit affair with me, in fact Marion and Indy's back and forth is a big part of why I love Raiders so much. It's a bit of a weird footnote on the whole thing, but Ford and Allen killed it and they both rule. Also it's fiction and lmao it's not like Indiana Jones is exactly supposed to be a good guy.

Woulda been really weird af if she were as young as initially pitched, though, and probably wouldn't have landed at all unless through some miracle of black comedy, which would have been pretty hard to weave into the tone of the rest of the movie unless the entire product came out differently.

and Lucas is indeedy goony af

e: ^^ yeah racial and sexism stuff I am def well versed in when it comes to pulp/etc, I was like born and bred on radio plays but the more sexual aspects of a pulp tale were probably hella toned down in those due to the nature of listening in with your family

Way I see it, it's okay for a teenager to have a horny crush on an adult but it's super weird and gross for an adult to reciprocate. That's regardless of genders/sexuality, obvs.

I mean it's pretty hot to fantasize about being Abner Ravenwood's teenage son/daughter and having older grad student Indy swoop in and seduce you, but the vice versa is skeezy as gently caress.

As for what Lucas was thinking, I have no idea. I can read the transcript both ways.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How old was Indy supposed to be when he banging teens

I never saw Raiders, just Last Crusade

canon as per wiki:

quote:

Marion entered into a relationship with Indiana Jones during this time (when she was 15, according to the novelization of Raiders of the Lost Ark). Jones abruptly left the Ravenwoods in 1926; Marion was about 16 or 17 years old when the relationship finished, and Jones was 27, ten years her senior.

[....]

[Karen] Allen came up with her own backstory for the character, such as what happened to her mother, her romance with Indiana at age 15 or 16, and her time in Nepal; Spielberg described it as "an entirely different movie".[3]

the so-called Kasdan/Lucas/Spielberg "spitballing" transcript:

quote:

Lawrence Kasdan: I like it if they already had a relationship at one point. Because then you don't have to build it.
George Lucas: I was thinking that this old guy could have been his mentor. He could have known this little girl when she was just a kid. Had an affair with her when she was eleven.
Kasdan: And he was forty-two.
Lucas: He hasn't seen her in twelve years. Now she's twenty-two. It's a real strange relationship.
Steven Spielberg: She had better be older than twenty-two.
Lucas: He's thirty-five, and he knew her ten years ago when he was twenty-five and she was only twelve.
Lucas: It would be amusing to make her slightly young at the time.
Spielberg: And promiscuous. She came onto him.
Lucas: Fifteen is right on the edge. I know it's an outrageous idea, but it is interesting. Once she's sixteen or seventeen it's not interesting anymore. But if she was fifteen and he was twenty-five and they actually had an affair the last time they met. And she was madly in love with him and he...
Spielberg: She has pictures of him.

I forgot how into it they all are, but then again it can just be them bullshitting about the story and character motivations and such, even just egging each other on for laughs. Whatever, it p much made it into the movie so it's there at least somewhat.

Do watch Raiders though, it's by far the best of them all.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
one time when i was in my early/mid 20s i drunkenly made out with a girl who was in her late teens and even at the time i had a nagging voice in the back of my head saying "dude, this is too wide an age spread"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
actually bust rodd is right. as a 30 year old ive def hit on a 19 year old and once realizing their age thought ugh goddamn. see also above

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 5, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
was that Anne Heche? I remember her getting a lot of poo poo for being gay. How dare she, etc

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation

:drat:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation

Blazing Ownager posted:

That is not clear at all.

Could've fooled me.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1005846102799802368

Problem solved!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation

Alhazred posted:

I think you can if that person actively lied about the facts.

:same:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
It's rape if a cop has sex with a suspect. How is it then not rape if he lies and says he is not a cop?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Maybe you should lie less to your partners :hehe:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
wtf kind of situation is the undercover cop in where he has to have sex or his cover is blown? This isnt penthouse letters, there's a huge leadup before you gently caress someone and he can just not go down that particular path.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation

Groovelord Neato posted:

why wouldn;t the undercover cop wear a condom asks this observer.

Undercover + under-cover = no cover

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
rape the police

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation

Timby posted:

Yeah. It's really saddening and depressing when you realize that, for the longest time, you could have it be an open secret that you sodomize puppies and devour kittens, and no one would give a poo poo as long as you made people money.

Actually, animal abuse gets everyone riled up, even those who don't care about human beings

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
sadly the abused often become the abusers

I'm reminded of the Karpman triangle, my dad (in ambulant psychiatry) told me that more often the "victim", if they exit that role at all, will tend toward the "abuser" rather than the "rescuer" in future relationships. its hosed up.

no excuse though

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Oh I'm definitely not trying to excuse his behaviour. But if you're a Tool fan and that song helped you cope or something (which is a thing lots of music fans do) because it made you feel less alone, you quite possibly have a real sour taste in your mouth right now.

I'm sure a lot of Tool fans are just straight up in denial, too.

oh no sorry that wasnt what i meant

youre right if both these are true (he is a victim and an abuser), that is a lovely mindfuck for everyone for whom the songs helped go to a better place

my parting shot up there was just an "explanations arent excuses" type deal

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
actually wow i guess there are some uh indicators in the song (Tool - Prison Sex) that i didnt think about before (always read it as specific revenge, and not generalized continuance)

quote:

It took so long to remember just what happened
I was so young and vestal then
You know it hurt me
But I'm breathing so I guess I'm still alive
Even if signs seem to tell me otherwise
I've got my hands bound
My head down, my eyes closed
And my throat wide open

Do unto others what has been done to you

I'm treading water
I need to sleep a while
My lamb and martyr, you look so precious
Won't you come a bit closer
Close enough so I can smell you
I need you to feel this
I can't stand to burn too long
Released in this sodomy
For one sweet moment I am whole

Do unto you now what has been done to me

You're breathing so I guess you're still alive
Even if signs seem to tell me otherwise
Won't you come just a bit closer
Close enough so I can smell you
I need you to feel this
I need this to make me whole
There's release in this sodomy
For I am your witness that
Blood and flesh can be trusted
And only this one holy medium brings me peace of mind

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation

Rhyno posted:

Why would you even listen to music then?

Some, like my mom, listen to music purely for the sounds and the moods, and get no lyrics unless we sit down and talk them through.

Others can get lost in the lyrics themselves and completely forget about the surrounding music, and have no idea even what instruments are played (is there a piano? no idea! -- my dad sometimes)

Most people are somewhere in between though, and it can change.. some times you might be more about lyrics but then later more about music. the change might come (and come back) over days or months or years or never. I sometimes listen to music in languages i dont understand so i can feel that one feeling, its interesting, try it!

Is this surprising to you?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
everybody's different :shrug:

my mom never knew that Hallelujah (one of her favorite songs, she loves both the original Cohen & Buckley's cover) is pretty raunchy until I told her in 2016

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Consent is perpetual. Once given it cannot be rescinded :shepface:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Since it's admitted rapist Mike Cernovich who dug them up, it's probably a mix of mental problems & trying to muddy the waters.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Those "jokes" easily read as poo poo-tier edgelord bullshit but i dunno about the video.

e: added quotation marks

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 20, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation

zandert33 posted:

I remember years ago on SA reading pages and pages of horrible dead baby and rape jokes. Did this site become so freaking neutered that we support people calling for blood about a person who made some dirty joke tweets years ago?

Give me a freaking break people.

Nobody was calling for blood on here?

Give me a freaking break you.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation

zandert33 posted:

I never said WE were, but it's clear that people are siding with the types of people who ARE calling for blood.

Sure, alright. Everything is black & white.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation

zandert33 posted:

Sure seems like it. Here we are in the sexual assault thread talking about a person getting fired over a stupid joke. Why is it even in the same conversation?

Seems black and white to James Gunn right now.

You were saying that SA were baying for his head on a stick. Imo the discussion itt has been fairly sober.

That he got fired sucks for him but tbh I find it hard to feel bad for him, he has money & I don't care for his movies. And seeing as how "mild" as this case is, he can probably bounce back.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
My friend pointed out that Disney still employs Johnny Depp who is demonstrably a shittier person than Gunn

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation

chitoryu12 posted:

And like I said in my last post, the show director at Walt Disney World is a literal rapist who offers sex in exchange for jobs.

yea i saw. im looking forward (so to speak :() to that story breaking

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation

Relevant Tangent posted:

Fire those people as well. I get the argument here is he's changed etc. but why don't we just find someone who didn't make lovely jokes? I don't understand why this dude is worth defending. You're not obligated to defend a dude just because the people accusing him are poo poo.

Degrees. Not everything has to be black & white.

He made lovely jokes and he's a lovely director and tbh I am fine with him being fired because I don't give a poo poo about him. My problem is really that the much worse fuckers arent getting fired

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation

lelandjs posted:

I expect people not to fall for obvious bullshit from the alt-right.

thatd be nice. i was gonna say something about pigs flying but you know, cmon.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation

DC Murderverse posted:

Disney is the largest media company in the world and is going to get significantly larger in the next 1-2 years because of the Fox acquisition. Their goal is to not get on the bad side of anyone, and since they (rightfully) shitcanned Roseanne for being a lovely racist a couple months ago, they are likely saying "this is our new line, if someone has done/said something lovely we need to get rid of them quick, we don't need them, we can just find someone else because we have more money than god". At the same time, a bunch of bad faith actors (which might as well be the subtitle of the whole alt-right movement) who were pissed when Roseanne got fired (because they also are lovely racists) were looking for someone to target to make Disney take that same stand again.

This is likely only going to be more commonplace as time goes on and Disney controls more of the media. One of their public-facing employees will do something heinous and get fired, people who sympathize with said person will find someone else who opposes them and has said heinous things in the past, and will make this same argument again. This fight is inherently unfair because one side is not fighting in good faith and will take any position that will benefit them, and Disney doesn't give a poo poo if the people complaining are being morally forthright about their intentions because all they see are unhappy talking bags of money, and the less unhappy talking bags of money the better. Maybe this will hurt them if people who are pissed off about the firing actually don't go see Guardians 3 or even *gasp* don't go see the next Avengers movie, but they're betting that they won't skip them, and honestly it's a pretty safe bet that they're still gonna make bundles of cash. If you want Disney to stop paying attention to bad-faith actors in situations like this you need to give them financial incentive.

*THAT BEING SAID* those jokes were genuinely lovely, the things that Gunn apologized for when he got the Guardians job were his gross blog posts and not (to my awareness) his lovely edgelord tweets, and while this borders on victim-blaming, if you're a famous person you should really have someone whose job it is to monitor your past social media and delete it if it's even slightly controversial. There are entire businesses devoted to just such a thing, and if you have enough money that you can afford them, you probably need them if you've ever been on Twitter/Facebook/other social media.

:hai: good stuff

some comments:
- As Disney did this time, they will do next time. It's a purely robotic risk/reward calculation to them -- does the situation threaten their cashflow? Gunn is a minor player so he's an easy firing. Depp is still a big name for some reason, it'll take more to get him fired. They might even rehire Gunn if the backlash becomes scary to them.
- I don't think a lovely origin of a doxx should negate it (provided its true). I mean if cernovich released the piss tape tomorrow?
- anyone whos a known person who hasnt cleaned up their old social media is an idiot

In the end, I guess it's all subjective. The idea of 10 year old lovely tweets + a heartfelt* apology is much easier to digest than a recent rape + a sorry-not-sorry

* im too tired to re-read his whatever so i no longer know if it was actually hearteflt

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jul 21, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Nerds love online petitions

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation

Fart City posted:

Looks like Dan Harmon is getting the Gunn treatment now.

Looking forward to the hell we find ourselves in when the only media that’s left after all of this are Tim Allen show reruns.

Tim Allen is a coke dealer and a snitch

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Could be classed as grooming, maybe? Either way, creepy as all hell.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation

It gets "better", they referred to each other as mom and son irl too

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation

So who is supposed to have leaked this? Those messages read very intentional.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
I'm saying it reads to me like a fake/controlled leak to get another narrative out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Yeah. All teens of all genders fantasize about banging some mature person once in a while; a hot teacher or whoever. Turns out it's not that fun when it happens irl, but still there's a huge discrepancy in how the cases are judged popularly.

Legally, it gets more muddled, but I'm almost tempted to say that there's a higher conviction rate for female molesters than male, while still the popular opinion is "hell yea bagged a milf" vs "fuckin gross rapist creep". I mean, it often seems that male rapists are covered for or get a slap on the wrist, while female rapists get the proper sentencing. Might be confirmation bias on my part, though.