Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Who is Elizabeth Perkins?

I’ll always remember her as Wilma from the Flintstones movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

AceOfFlames posted:

https://www.avclub.com/gene-simmons-has-been-banned-for-life-from-fox-news-1820542740

...Not that this is a surprise , but when loving FOX NEWS bans you for being too much of a creep...

I had to check to make sure I wasn’t reading an Onion article. Twice.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well Lena Dunham is going to be back in the news for a while now.

For reference:

http://mashable.com/2017/11/17/lena-dunham-murray-miller-rape-accusation-defense/#tcngCKXF9mqm

Maybe they have some legit insight on this case (they cite some vague "insider knowledge"), but what they wrote smacks of "But he can't be a rapist, he's our friend!" which is a pretty supremely lovely stance to take.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

got any sevens posted:

Also what kind of dummy grabs a big buff straight black man's junk?

A sexual predator? A morally bankrupt megalomaniac who gets off on emasculating other men, safe in the knowledge that his position protects him from reprisal?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Adam Sandler's agent is Venit, so we'll see.

Say what you will about Sandler, and there’s a lot to say, but he seems good about taking care of his friends. And at this point he’s probably got enough money that he doesn’t give much of a poo poo.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

davidspackage posted:

I think it's... I can't say admirable, but at least he's owning up to his bad behavior. There's some vaguely defensive stuff about his upbringing, but mostly he's laying out the bad poo poo he did.

It’s not hard to read it as him just pre-emptively trying to exonerate himself, though. It’s hosed up; do we accept the mea culpa and believe that he honestly wants to change? It would be nice if it’s true. But it’s real easy to be cynical about it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Timby posted:

Don't be obtuse, you know what I meant. And for a small corner diner that's open for literally twelve hours a day, losing an entire day's worth of receipts (plus the costs of the food that has to be prepped to be shown on-camera and for "customers" to be eating) kind of stings.

Yeah, but you said so yourself, the show helped their business enormously, and continues to do so every time that episode is shown.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Timby posted:

The point was that short-term, shutting down a restaurant for an entire day is an enormous pain in the rear end, especially when one is doing so for Guy loving Fieri.

It’s a long term investment, and a sound one from what you’ve said. You pretty thoroughly undercut your point before you even tried to make it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

MacheteZombie posted:

I had to stop reading this partway through. loving horrible.

It is, but I appreciated this bit of sass:

quote:

Another friend insisted that Miller “was the type of person if you took him to a strip club, he would want to talk to the strippers, not hit on them.”

No one has accused Miller of hitting on strippers.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, but the rate was set in the mid-00's when he was still making decent money off of Mummy and Journey to the ... residuals.

Isn’t that what ended up happening to Dave Foley, too?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Snowman_McK posted:

It was in the studios interest to keep the whole cast on the relative straight and narrow and avoid the usual child star breakdowns.

I mean, they failed, since Radcliffe has since admitted to having a very serious alcohol abuse problem during the filming of the later Harry Potter films.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

When he brings up brexit that's an indicator that his friends are really loving racist. It means he probably has friends who supported leaving the EU because they think brown people are ruining the country.

Ergh...I mean...I have a good friend who voted for Brexit. She’s a black immigrant. It’s a bit more complicated than “supported Brexit = hates non-whites”.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Single White Female

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
You can’t harass them...if you become them.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Vegetable posted:

What does it mean to be Single White Female'd by somebody, I still don't understand

Single White Female is a movie in which Bridget Fonda advertises for a new roommate (the eponymous single white female), an ad which Jennifer Jason Leigh answers. Then Jennifer Jason Lee slowly begins to emulate Fonda in an attempt to subvert her and take over her life. The phrase “single white female” became a kind of cultural shorthand for a person mimicking someone else, usually with ominous, obsessive overtones.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

but like... we're seriously discussing the idea that Faraci might have converted to Buddhism as a way to stalk his accuser. even though the dude is a complete garbage fire and his attempt atonement is... pretty unlikely to be sincere, y'all realize that's kind of paranoid, right?

I don’t think anyone actually thinks Faraci is literally stalking his accuser. But he’s obviously trying to spin his “rehabilitation” to enhance his brand, and it’s creepy and sad that his method of choice is something taught by his accuser.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Len posted:

The dress code for girls is almost completely based around not distracting the boys in class too. It's ridiculous

Having been a teenage boy, I can attest that I would have been distracted no matter what.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Not Operator posted:

I honestly think it'd take putting them in dystopian grey overalls to stop some people fetishizing high schoolers.

That’s awfully naive, really.

You could literally force them to hide themselves in nondescript brown boxes and I guarantee you a) people would sexualize that and b) they would find a way to blame the girls in the boxes.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Wait, did you guys not immediately see that? The next line was “I thought it was clever”.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

starkebn posted:

because people should be judged based on their actions and their opinions, not on "what they must be like" mob mentality

None of the posts here are admissible as evidence, I assure you.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

DC Murderverse posted:

this is only ok if he's trying to trick Polanski into coming back to Cali to shoot something under dead of night and then hands him over to the police

Roman Polanski shows up for his first day of shooting only for Chris Hansen to step out from behind a curtain and tell him to take a seat.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Wendell posted:

I wonder who he’s shading with the “cowardly distance themselves” comment. I accuse Pratt!!!

Disney?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Wendell posted:

But that’s the punish part.

Porque no los dos?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Bust Rodd posted:

If a sculptor came out and said “Painting is a bad medium devoid of creative expression” you’d rightfully think they were out of touch.

No, pretty sure Michelangelo was cool.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I don’t care that he dies in prison, it’s the living in prison I’m happy about. I hope he was putting on a big show and is healthy enough to spend many years to come in his small, sparse cell.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

pentyne posted:

Man if they had let that dogfighting mini-game go out they would've enabled the absolute end of the entire studio involved except all the white male execs would've just gotten off scot free.

Mass Effect 2 had a dog fighting mini-game and nobody gave so much as a peep. Probably because they were alien dogs.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Pokemon are shown to be basically sentient, willing participants for the most part, so it’s more like MMA or boxing.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

RevKrule posted:

I wouldn't necessarily call a wild animal that's beaten into submission, trapped for hours/days/weeks on end in a small sphere and only let out to beat the poo poo out of other animals, a "willing participant"

Within the context of the show, though, Pokemon are portrayed as fully sentient beings that consent to the arrangement. Even with the bad guys, Meowth, Koffing, and Ekans, they're fully on board with Jesse and James' plans.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Have the new Ren & Stimpy show do an episode where a thinly-veiled John K analogue is portrayed as a horrible pedophile rear end in a top hat.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I suppose you could make it an animated movie. At least then you wouldn’t need to use actual child actors.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, I don’t think declaring all coming-of-age stories, no matter how they’re told, verboten is a good take-away from this. Big Mouth seems like a good compromise.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Maybe they feel really strongly about Dennis Blunden.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

DrVenkman posted:

The only source for him sleeping around is his wife right?

It was a letter that Whedon wrote to his wife, so the source is Whedon himself.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

Oh no, what did Paul Williams do? :ohdear:

Not that Paul Williams, the lawyer Paul Williams. I think.

EDIT:

davidbix posted:

Paul Williams, the NYC child welfare investigator on the case

Or that.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 9, 2021

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The idea of even signing up for an app like this seems like such a colossally bad idea if you’re a celebrity. It just seems like needlessly exposing yourself to the risk of bad publicity on the probably infinitesimal chance that you meet someone worthwhile.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

AceOfFlames posted:

7.99 month seems awfully low for a celeb only app. I mean, prole apps like OkCupid A-List and Tinder Gold charge way more.

Is rich people paying less for things* really all that unusual? Isn’t that just par for the course?

* Unless they’re deliberately paying more to show off

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

I've seen some interviews of Shia and he seems like someone who is actually very charming in person.

I remember seeing him on Hot Ones and the overriding impression I got of him is a guy who is driven by toxic masculinity, knows he’s driven by toxic masculinity, but who’s powerless to stop being driven by toxic masculinity. He seems intensely, unhealthily aware of how other people perceive him.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think the reverse needs to be accounted for, though. Do people who suffer sexual abuse at a young age disproportionately become offenders?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

LionArcher posted:

I never have wanted to dive into that one but is it clear at this point they both sucked? Like not saying he’s not worse or whatever but wasn’t it confirmed she was abusive too? Or did I read a few bad takes on Twitter and get it jumbled up?

I don’t know what kind of people they are, and I always feel like anyone judging people (celebrities or otherwise) based on their acrimonious divorce proceedings is kind of poor form. No one is going to look good in a snapshot from one of the worst times in their life, especially when much of what you’re hearing is coming from their aggrieved soon-to-be ex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I’d broaden that to the whole entertainment industry.