Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It was the one where Dave is on the plane and he's offered fried chicken as a meal. Then Dave doing a Steppin Fetchit impersonation appears on his shoulder telling to calm down and enjoy them good eats.

it's this one:

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/s191yw/chappelle-s-show-stereotype-pixies---black-pixie---uncensored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Barry Convex posted:

The Netflix exec who got fired for telling a victim that the company didn't believe the Danny Masterson allegations wants you all to know how sorry he is.

I have really conflicted feelings after reading this...

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

esperterra posted:

There might be a good lesson to be learned from this, for both people realizing that the definition of a public figure has expanded to beyond just the big names in any type of business, hell even to regular schmoes like us, given the right set of circumstances w/r/t people being able to instantly share things on social media. I'm conflicted about what this means for the way people need to learn to conduct themselves in public in the age of most people having the internet in their pocket. In the case of this dude, he's an exec at Netflix and probably should have been prepared to just say he had no comment, or like he said directing the woman to people who would have better knowledge on the subject. I can sympathize, though, with the feeling that being at a soccer game with his family was the last place he expected to be put on the record for something, or even to be approached by a woman connected directly to it directly.

I feel bad this guy lost his job and that I probably said a pretty lovely thing about him when the news first broke about an exec brushing a victim off when questioned about Masterson. I typically advocate wanting the full story before making any judgments, or to have at least more evidence brought forth etc but I still have kneejerk reactions to stories like this when it comes to anger at someone who may have directly or indirectly slighted someone who has come forward as a victim. When this story spiraled out of control and he got fired I was satisfied as hell about it, especially because Netflix had already been taking so long dealing with Masterson in the first place. Even if he wasn't in the wrong (and I don't think he was in the wrong, I think he made a little mistake at a very wrong time) I see what sort of PR disaster Netflix may have been facing if they kept him on, even if they got out ahead of it with his side of the story or whatever. That's just an unfortunate truth about working in big public facing businesses like that.

While I hope people don't villainize this dude, I also really loving don't hope people villainize the woman who initially asked him about Masterson. She's been through enough grief and doesn't deserve any more. I'm more than happy to lay blame on this at the feet of the media.

I think your comment about the kneejerk reaction sums up my main issue with this guy being fired. I think it's super unfortunate that everything that sniffs of assault is now being handled like it is completely radioactive without any other considerations. I can see how this is a big PR boondoggle for netflix but having heard his side of the story it feels like such irresponsible "gotcha" journalism... like how did this victim know who this guy was or how to find him at a soccer game? He most certainly should have been held accountable for his actions and received publicity/sensitivity coaching but flat out firing him for an off-the-cuff comment when he had no idea of the context or the intent of the person doing the questioning sounds like a terrible precedent. I'm still all for these things coming to light as much as possible but the collateral damage seems to put at risk the gravity/authenticity of the real problems.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

DrVenkman posted:

I mean I don't know if I would even go that far. Yes it's entirely possible, but it's also not him. He had nothing to do with it. He worked in children's programming. If he was directly involved then that's one thing, but he just happened to work for the company. He probably had the same level of insight into what was going on as the janitor did.

yeah, my thought was that even though he's an executive there's still a very real chance that he doesn't have much PR training to handle questioning. Not every executive has to talk to the public and is savvy about being mindful of everything they say and how it can reflect on their company. Should he be aware of this? sure, but at a large company I can totally see a situation where he had very little exposure to the team handling the Masterson issue

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
like 6+ years ago I had an encounter with Aziz that made me go wow that guy is a douche and totally full of himself. It was a bummer because I had been a fan of his standup for a bit but it was before he'd broken really really big. I've been a huge fan of Master of None and it was tricky to reconcile the short interaction I had with him with his character on the show but something has never sit quite right with me with him ever since.

That being said, I see both sides of this, I do think there's value to exposing even stories like this for the benefit of progress but I would be pretty disappointed if his career was somehow ruined because of what was reported in that article. I do think there's something interesting in the NYT article and it seems difficult to fathom that someone going on a date with a celebrity who has a show where he talks openly about his dating life (and even depicts himself hooking up with tinder dates) would be surprised when they end up at his place and he tries to take things to the bedroom... You should probably be mentally prepared to stop things or ask to move slower if you're a 20-something dating in NYC right? I dunno, maybe I'm wrong here but I felt that that part of the NYT article made a valid argument.