Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Problem description: The computer shuts off suddenly, then turns back on and displays a message saying that a power surge was detected and the motherboard shut itself down to protect the computer. Probably the PSU right? Well, I have a couple of reasons to think that might not be the case. The first is that it can be triggered in a bizarrely consistent way: In the video game A Hat in Time there are telescopes you can use to access a level selection screen - it looks like this. Certain telescopes will consistently cause the computer to shut down while transitioning to the level select menu, while the entire rest of the game (including other telescopes) seems to work just fine. I first noticed this a month ago, and I didn't pay it too much mind because not only was it only triggering in that one exact circumstance, according to the Steam forums there was at least one other person out there getting the same issue. That changed when the shutdown happened in the middle of a long Destiny 2 session a couple days ago, and again while the computer was idle today.

Attempted fixes: I read that Asus' power surge protection feature could be faulty and/or oversensitive, so I tried turning it off and looking through one of the cursed telescopes - the shutdown still happened, only without the warning message when the computer turned back on. Needless to say, I turned the feature back on.

I've been using a KillAWatt monitor to attempt to diagnose the issue and it gave me the second reason to doubt the PSU's culpability. The computer uses ~200W when running A Hat in Time, which is consistent with the usage of other games running at 60fps, and using the telescopes doesn't seem to trigger any spikes in power usage - it goes from 200W straight to 0. I tried running Warframe's stress test with the framerate unlocked, which took the power usage to ~315W with no adverse effects.

Recent changes: I installed an SSD in March.

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro x64

System specs:
Windows 10 64-bit Build 14393
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 3.40GHz
AMD Radeon HD 7950 3GB
8gb RAM
ASUS P8Z77-V Lk ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Samsung 850 EVO MZ-75E250B/AM 250GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD
Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB SATA3 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5in Internal Hard Disk Drive H
Thermaltake TR2 W0070 430W ATX12V V1.3 24PIN/20PIN Power Supply Dual 80MM Fan /W 6PIN PCI-E

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Lork fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd run the portable zip edition of CDI to check HD health: https://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

If the HDs are all okay then I'd try using the onboard GPU temporarily and seeing if it behaves the same way.

How old is the PSU?

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Zogo posted:

I'd run the portable zip edition of CDI to check HD health: https://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html

If the HDs are all okay then I'd try using the onboard GPU temporarily and seeing if it behaves the same way.

How old is the PSU?
CDI says both hard drives are A-OK. I tried using the onboard GPU and the shutdown didn't happen - I also discovered that it doesn't happen when using the real GPU if the resolution is lower than 1080p. The PSU is somewhere between 7 and 10 years old.

Lork fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 12, 2017

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lork posted:

CDI says both hard drives are A-OK. I tried using the onboard GPU and the shutdown didn't happen - I also discovered that it doesn't happen when using the real GPU if the resolution is lower than 1080p. The PSU is somewhere between 7 and 10 years old.

7+ years is pretty old for a PSU and if it's been used all those years it's definitely degraded and can cause issues like this. I'd try a newer one if possible.

Also, if some of the other hardware is also 7+ years old (motherboard) it could also be failing.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Zogo posted:

7+ years is pretty old for a PSU and if it's been used all those years it's definitely degraded and can cause issues like this. I'd try a newer one if possible.

Also, if some of the other hardware is also 7+ years old (motherboard) it could also be failing.
I ordered a new PSU from NCIX a week ago, but they're taking their sweet time sending it - it hasn't even shipped yet. I guess all I can do for now is wait for it to arrive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holy Haze
Nov 10, 2017

Lork posted:

I ordered a new PSU from NCIX a week ago, but they're taking their sweet time sending it - it hasn't even shipped yet. I guess all I can do for now is wait for it to arrive.

Also check the reliability monitor and see if that dashboard provides any useful information. You can access it by typing in “reliability” into the search bar of W10 taskbar.

• Locked thread