Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Disappointed to be out of the division hunt after losing to Miami, spent the better part of the afternoon trying to remind folks though that pretty much everyone who isn't the OL is composed of either true freshmen, or redshirt freshmen/true sophomores from a recruiting class ranked 49th, and that Virginia Tech is actually doing just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

PostNouveau posted:

...HALF the offensive snaps featured TE Cade Brewer split out from the formation. What the gently caress?

full commitment to the spread lol

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
https://twitter.com/BarrettSallee/status/927320817586900992

https://twitter.com/BigBreadCed/status/927012895979921408

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/927028067733733376

quote:

Alamo (San Antonio): Oklahoma State vs. USC

This would be good

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

single-mode fiber posted:

Disappointed to be out of the division hunt after losing to Miami, spent the better part of the afternoon trying to remind folks though that pretty much everyone who isn't the OL is composed of either true freshmen, or redshirt freshmen/true sophomores from a recruiting class ranked 49th, and that Virginia Tech is actually doing just fine.

Uh yea, none of that explains the fact we have no running game and hey guess what, we didn't land a RB worth a poo poo this year either so expect yet another repeat in year 3 of Fuente of what it's like to have your #1 RB total about 450 yards.

Fuente is not an Air Raid guy, he wants to run the ball constantly. The fact the ground game is not only this lovely in year two but has regressed from last year combined with all the OL we lose and the zero RBs we add next year is not a good sign in any way, shape or form.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Quoting myself since it ended up accurate and still funny:

quote:

You know, I looked at the games this weekend, and I'm going to put Syracuse on upset alert.

After their tough loss to Miami, followed by a bye week and then looking ahead to a big game with Wake Forest, I feel that the FSU game could be a trap. Every team that's walked into Doak this year has walked out a winner, and I feel that Syracuse could be a bit over confident. Jimbo's looking for his first win at home this year, and maybe the team comes out motivated.

Also, quoting this again:

quote:

Honestly, go and rewatch them. GT we statistically dominated after their first two drives. The only reason they were ahead was because of the worlds worst onside kick call. FSU/Miami is always wild (regardless of how good or bad the teams are). Syracuse we beat wire to wire. UNC was the worst game played by the team, and that was with Rosier getting injured in the first quarter and playing with a hurt throwing shoulder the rest of the game. We're finally getting healthy. The playing every weekend thanks to the schedule move really hurt us a bit. Our run game should be better this week. The main reason it wasn't working the last two games was because our best Olineman was hurt. He's back and healthy this game. Our starting CB should be back this week as well. Every single week it was "Miami on upset alert!" followed by "well, that team wasn't good anyways." Win the games you have.

Honestly, I think this game is a tossup, but I don't think VT should be favored. Our stadium will be similarly loud to the FSU game last year, and that was almost deafening. You've got a Redshirt Freshman QB making his third away start, with the others being ECU (where you guys looked bad in the beginning), and BC before they found an offense.

VT gives up big plays, which is what Miami's offense with Rosier does. We're the best defense you'll play, outside of probably clemson, and they dismantled you.

I expect a defensive struggle for both teams, but it's Miami/VT. It wouldn't surprise me if it's a blowout either way.

This ended up being pretty accurate. We got after the QB, and he looked lost. VT gave up a bunch of big plays, we dismantled them, and it was a blowout.

The game itself was awesome to be at, even with the 5 minutes where Malik Rosier forgot how to play football. The crowd was wild, the stadium was loud. It was a bitch and a half to leave afterwards, but I'll take that. We had some VT fans next to us that were pretty nice, even though they got progressively drunker as they got dunked on. The offense (with the exception of that first drive) was efficient in the red zone, and DJ dallas is going to be a star. I'm pretty sure we killed the QB on his last INT of the game, but if you are throwing for the TD, you better expect the defense to come to play. Next week will be even louder. I can't wait.

Some video from my seats:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbH3amIhFjg/?taken-by=dilber8th

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbH3dpXh03_/?taken-by=dilber8th

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbH3mmOhb68/?taken-by=dilber8th

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbH3V80h0Z7/?taken-by=dilber8th

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I love Miami fans magically coming out of the woodwork to thump their chests after almost 15 years in the shadows.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

Crotch Bat posted:

I love Miami fans magically coming out of the woodwork to thump their chests after almost 15 years in the shadows.

I've been here. Not quite sure how I'm thumping my chest, but I've been taking a lot of poo poo from VT fans that I know for forever.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Dilber posted:

I've been here. Not quite sure how I'm thumping my chest, but I've been taking a lot of poo poo from VT fans that I know for forever.

VT's not even going to finish top 25, hope you realize that. This isn't the win you make your claim to fame on for the CFP, just another overrated VT team who played chumps early.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

Crotch Bat posted:

VT's not even going to finish top 25, hope you realize that. This isn't the win you make your claim to fame on for the CFP, just another overrated VT team who played chumps early.

Are you assuming losses to UVA or GT or what? Is this just a continuation of the meltdown from last night?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Crotch Bat posted:

They beat you and you’re having a meltdown you big baby. That’s a pretty sweet victory even without the playoffs, which they will make if they keep winning.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Crotch Bat posted:

Said to a guy who's been consistently posting about Miami since Randy Shannon was coaching them.

How are you still melting down about this? Miami's at the very least decent this year and probably pretty good. It was a road game. You didn't lose by 70 or anything.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Crotch Bat posted:

okay are you legitimately bipolar, i've never seen anybody peak and valley as much as you

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Dilber posted:

Are you assuming losses to UVA or GT or what? Is this just a continuation of the meltdown from last night?

Malik Rosier is a pocket passer with the most minor hint of athleticism. He ran for 80 loving 5 yards against VT. The gently caress do you think GT and a true running QB will do? Kelly Bryant had 100 against VT and he's as athletic as Rosier. Neither are anything resembling an actual running QB.

GT is going to destroy us, we always play Pitt poorly, UVA is beyond due to beat VT, we'll be poorly prepared for the bowl because we always are so that's 2-3 losses which makes them an 8-5 or 9-4 team.

Grittybeard posted:

Said to a guy who's been consistently posting about Miami since Randy Shannon was coaching them.

How are you still melting down about this? Miami's at the very least decent this year and probably pretty good. It was a road game. You didn't lose by 70 or anything.

VT's lovely and has at most one decent win.

Not interested in sucking my team's rear end for beating ECU like they should. VT beats nobodies and people reward them for it. Win against WVU is irrelevant, D is far more advanced than O early in year, WVU would shred us if replayed.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 6, 2017

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Alaois posted:

okay are you legitimately bipolar, i've never seen anybody peak and valley as much as you

loving :laffo: that people say this, when have I ever peaked on VT since like 2010.

I'm just sick of pretending that VT is something other than fantastically and abhorrently mediocre in every aspect. What has VT done in the last 7 years where you say "man, they're really on their way to the next level"?

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

Rosier actually isn't a pocket passer. He's an athlete that played centerfield as a freshman on the baseball team, and can run. He's had a bunch of big runs in basically every game. Most teams also don't have the depth that our D-line has, which as been super important for our defense. We rotate a lot, and our guys are fresh, which is good because of how many snaps we play on defense. You can beat GT.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Dilber posted:

Rosier actually isn't a pocket passer. He's an athlete that played centerfield as a freshman on the baseball team, and can run. He's had a bunch of big runs in basically every game. Most teams also don't have the depth that our D-line has, which as been super important for our defense. We rotate a lot, and our guys are fresh, which is good because of how many snaps we play on defense. You can beat GT.

Malik Rosier had all of 200 yards rushing in 7 games, that is not a dual threat QB. Josh Jackson, who runs like old people gently caress, had 10 whole yards less rushing than Rosier coming into the game and half, literally half, of those came against WVU in week 1.

30% of Rosier's total rushing yards came against VT. Seriously, what did you see in VT's game plan, which involved leaving the entire middle of the field wide open makes you think they're stopping GT?

GT rushed for 300+ on their way to embarrassing VT last year, there is absolutely nothing that makes me think Bud Foster, in less than 7 days, will learn how to defense a mobile QB.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 6, 2017

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Crotch Bat posted:

loving :laffo: that people say this, when have I ever peaked on VT since like 2010.

I'm just sick of pretending that VT is something other than fantastically and abhorrently mediocre in every aspect. What has VT done in the last 7 years where you say "man, they're really on their way to the next level"?

okay no you're just a 12 year old

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

You're all white knighting VT, that's what is so funny. You couldn't mention them if someone put a gun to your head but because I think they're playing lovely you have to white knight them and you're not even doing it well. Not one of you does anything resembling talking about VT unless I bitch about them, please don't pretend like you actually care about them or watch them or do anything but form your opinions off of box scores and highlights unless your team plays them and you watch them for a whole 4 quarters.

This is just a repeat of when I told everyone 7 years ago that Beamer was going to tank VT into the ground and all of you to a person insisted everything was fine. Can you guys seriously not see the issues at hand? The regression of the run game under a so-called offensive genius? The complete inability to recruit better than even Beamer (who was so bad at recruiting it was amazing)? The utter failure in every big game? Please enlighten me as to how these problems will just solve themselves and are total non-issues.

I let you be bitter about your dumb teams, let me be bitter about mine. Nobody needs you and your trusty steed to defend the honor of mediocre football.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 6, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
CB is not mad, he is actually laughing

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

North Texas basically wrapped up the CUSA West division, so :toot:

They were SO bad two years ago, Litrell has done an amazing job. Wonder how long until he gets a bigger job (SMU if Morris goes to A&M? TTU if they get sick of Kliff?).

Also between them and Iowa State being top 25ish the Iowa noncon schedule that looked embarrassing before the season looks downright respectable now. Even Wyoming isn’t completley awful.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Iowa?

Is someone talking about Iowa? Did something happen?

Oh, right. This happened.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MourningView posted:

CB is not mad, he is actually laughing

They were SO bad two years ago, Litrell has done an amazing job. Wonder how long until he gets a bigger job (SMU if Morris goes to A&M? TTU if they get sick of Kliff?).

Also between them and Iowa State being top 25ish the Iowa noncon schedule that looked embarrassing before the season looks downright respectable now. Even Wyoming isn’t completley awful.

is the Josh Allen Hype Train still something that exists or did that get sealed in a caved-in tunnel through the Sierre Nevadas

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Crotch Bat posted:

I think the big Fuente year will happen if you get a playmaker at QB that can win some extra games. May need to improve OL scouting/developing/coaching but you guys need to recruit better IMO.

It didn't look like there were very many matchups on the field for VT's offense to win last night, Miami's secondary was supposed to be weak but now they have improved and the front 7 is still good so there was nothing much for VT to do, Miami played Cover 1 all game and won the LOS and the majority of the jump balls. Foster will need to figure out how to deal with running QBs better because it looks like Clemson and Miami are going to continue to recruit those dual threat guys.

I agree that VT's offensive line is going to have to be tough and nasty if they want to challenge for Conference titles and playoff spots under Fuente, so I can see the cause for concern there. But I don't think Fuente choked or anything, it looked like two good defenses and one team had multiple playmakers and the other team didn't.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
There are starving schools in the MAC who would kill to compete for a division title every three years or so

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Alaois posted:

is the Josh Allen Hype Train still something that exists or did that get sealed in a caved-in tunnel through the Sierre Nevadas

I haven’t seen much of it but I don’t follow Insane NFL Draft Twitter very closely. I assume someone still has he and Darnold going in the top 2 and Lamar Jackson being drafted in the 5th round as a WR

Lasagna Pilot posted:

I think the big Fuente year will happen if you get a playmaker at QB that can win some extra games.

Their QB is really good, especially considering he’s a freshman. Only the 2nd best Josh Jackson in college football tho

MourningView fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 6, 2017

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Clemson, please finish us off

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

MourningView posted:

I haven’t seen much of it but I don’t follow Insane NFL Draft Twitter very closely. I assume someone still has he and Darnold going in the top 2 and Lamar Jackson being drafted in the 5th round as a WR

Their QB is really good, especially considering he’s a freshman.

I like JJ a lot. A whole lot. He might not be the starter next year because Fuente has failed 3 years in a row to recruit a competent RB and quite frankly we might need to go with AJ Bush (JUCO will be Sr next year) or Hendon Hooker (redshirting this year, true dual threat) in order to give off some sort of threat of successfully running the football. The reason the O worked last year is because Jerod Evans could run. JJ can't run and the WVU game was bad in every way because it made people think he could. He has something like 200-250 yards rushing on the year and 101 came from the WVU game. He's slow and he's not shifty, he can just occasionally get a first down if you misread the RPO.

If you look at VT's rushing offense you might say "wow you're nuts CB they're #58 that's decent" until you look a few columns over and see their 3.81 ypc, which is representative of the rushing offenses ranked about 30 spots lower. The leading rusher has 450 yards total on 4.5ypc. There's no true #2 and arguably not even a true #1. Fuente plays musical chairs with 5 RBs to noone's benefit. Same RB had about 670 yards last year but that was OK because Evans ran for over 1000 (sacks not included). Those 1000 yards don't exist this year and it's killing us because nobody respects our run. Miami and Clemson both knew they could play the pass because we'd never be able to run on them.

It is an enormous problem that hasn't been addressed and like I said, could lead to benching an amazing QB simply because he doesn't have the ability to create on his own and Fuente has not properly surrounded him with playmakers to shoulder that responsibility.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

TipTow posted:

Beating the 'Pokes is so satisfying

Beating Texas is great. Texas is a great program, and even when they're down, it's still Texas. When Texas fans are lovely and salty, it's alright--they've earned it. It's fun. Both programs have their moments, and when it's not yours, it sucks, but it's okay. There's always next year.

Oklahoma State hasn't earned poo poo, and I love when their hopes and dreams are utterly destroyed. T. Boone and his half-billion dollars still haven't been able to buy anything more than a single Big 12 title.

Texas hasn't been a good program for almost 10 years now. This is a pitiful troll attempt.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

lol imagine thinking that fans "earn" anything by watching amateur athletes play a game for children

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

lol imagine thinking that fans "earn" anything by watching amateur athletes play a game for children

I saw an OU home game in the season ticket holder section once. They actually believe that poo poo, no exaggeration. It's just......sad

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

To be fair this is a game children should almost certainly not be playing.

bvlah
Aug 21, 2003
A stupid typo
GT gave up 40 points to Virginia, what makes anyone think that they will destroy VT. Marshall is possibly a worse passer than Tevin Washington and got so shook by Clemson that he is afraid of pitching the ball. Return coverage is poo poo awful and our kicker has not produced any touch backs.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

UNT going bowling. Fire Kliff also

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

TheWordOfTheDayIs posted:

I saw an OU home game in the season ticket holder section once. They actually believe that poo poo, no exaggeration. It's just......sad

donors are the biggest babies

there were a group who were real mad that some of the buildings were shut down so they had to walk across half a parking lot to go piss and poo poo

then they were mad that people can buy parking passes for the good lots

sorry that I can drink in the same place you can for 150 dollars instead of 2000, fuckers

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

Crotch Bat posted:

Fuente has not properly surrounded him with playmakers to shoulder that responsibility.

This is the problem.

On a related note it would be cool if the top rated recruit out of Virgnia never again signs with FSU.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Texas hasn't been a good program for almost 10 years now. This is a pitiful troll attempt.

And yet, they have as many Big 12 titles as OSU in that time span. Makes u think

OSU fans sincerely think they are 1945 national champions now because a handful of coaches born after then said they were 71 years after the fact lmao

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

bvlah posted:

GT gave up 40 points to Virginia, what makes anyone think that they will destroy VT. Marshall is possibly a worse passer than Tevin Washington and got so shook by Clemson that he is afraid of pitching the ball. Return coverage is poo poo awful and our kicker has not produced any touch backs.

I don't expect us to beat VT either but last year if you had told me before the game we'd dominate them in Blacksburg with our backup quarterback and three freshmen on the O-line I would have told you you were an insane homer so :shrug:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Crotch Bat posted:

You are such a lovely loser and I'd forgotten that, lmfao

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

oh my god, please everyone click this link. Miamifandoingwrestlingmoves.txt

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbIimOfH-hz/

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah at this point you should probably realize it's you who need to temper your expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Crotch Bat posted:

Uh yea, none of that explains the fact we have no running game and hey guess what, we didn't land a RB worth a poo poo this year either so expect yet another repeat in year 3 of Fuente of what it's like to have your #1 RB total about 450 yards.

Fuente is not an Air Raid guy, he wants to run the ball constantly. The fact the ground game is not only this lovely in year two but has regressed from last year combined with all the OL we lose and the zero RBs we add next year is not a good sign in any way, shape or form.

I agree that they need to shore up the running game, although really I think most of the overall regression of the running game is just the removal of Jerod Evans' rushing yards; Travon McMillian's at basically the same YPC and yardage total at this point in the season (adjusted to 9 games) that he was last year. And, the RB by committee thing, he did that the whole time at Memphis, and also when he was OC at TCU, just from looking at their stat sheet. Admittedly, a big component of why I'm optimistic about Fuente in the long run is that my dad's a Memphis fan, so I've had the dubious pleasure of seeing a lot of their games over the years. And man, before Fuente got there, Memphis was so bad. 1 or 2 wins on the whole season, and so many of their losses were 40 or 50 point blowouts, they had no talent, anywhere at all on the field, like 90th ranked recruiting classes. Now, granted it's less of a hurdle to overcome in a weaker conference, but he managed to take Paxton Lynch + a bunch of complete nobodies and turn them into like a top 35 program that occasionally flirts in the top 25. That was a pretty amazing turnaround, and I'd argue that the talent differential between Memphis and their peers was higher than the differential between Virginia Tech and theirs.

But yeah, I don't know that he's going to turn Virginia Tech into a dynasty winning multiple national titles or anything like that. Mentally I kind of view a program's success as something looking like a hysteresis loop, and I don't yet have that feeling of impending dread like in 2010 and 2011, where it feels like things are going backwards even though the y-axis (wins) hasn't changed all that much. Really the thing that concerns me the most about the program is the low levels of donors (both in number of donors and actual dollars given) relative to others. If they can't fix that, then in 10 years even a conference title may become far out of reach.

• Locked thread