Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Monica's dead, Mickey's in Mexico but Ian didn't go with him, Lip's sober, Fiona owns an apartment building, Svetlana is out of Kev & V's lives, Carl's in Military School and kicking rear end, Debbie's a welder I guess, Frank's still Frank. Want any more info than that? gently caress you, go watch Season 7 yourself, I'm not gonna do your work for you.

Shameless, Season 8: Sundays, starting November 5 @ 9pm on Showtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

God why won't this terrible show just die, even Dexter had the decency to have season 8 be its final one.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
I can't remember how they dealt with the Svetlana situation from last season.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MiddleOne posted:

God why won't this terrible show just die, even Dexter had the decency to have season 8 be its final one.

It's cool you don't have to watch it or post about it if you don't like it anymore :)

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Thanks for making the thread!
Hoping the season is good.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
I just hope this season's Lip story arc won't be so same ol' bullshit back and forth.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Jack Skeleton posted:

I just hope this season's Lip story arc won't be so same ol' bullshit back and forth.

Yeah I really want him to stay sober, there's plenty to write about with him dealing with sobriety to keep his character interesting.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Solid first episode, IMO. Frank making amends, Lip hanging in there, Carl selling meth, Fiona seems to be doing well, Deb doing Deb stuff, V got her revenge (:getin:).

Feel real bad for Liam & Kev, though :smith:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

Solid first episode, IMO. Frank making amends, Lip hanging in there, Carl selling meth, Fiona seems to be doing well, Deb doing Deb stuff, V got her revenge (:getin:).

Feel real bad for Liam & Kev, though :smith:

wonder what franks angle is. Can't wait for Liam to not be a nice little uncle tom for the rich white people.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I hope Frank is more like sober Frank from that one episode a few years ago. That was hilarious.

So what's up with Liam's actor change? Could the other actor actually not speak like a normal human being or something?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I'm always glad to see this show come back, even if it's weird that it's a fall show now. Shameless taking place in the bleak-rear end Chicagoan winter felt like a natural fit for it. Also, as a person from a career military family, Carl likely becoming a sociopathic hyper-nationalist is a bit too real.

MiddleOne posted:

What is it with goons grousing about media they don't like constantly? Like, it's cool if you don't like the show but drive-by shitposting about a show you have no interest in without adding anything to the conversation has always come across as odd to me. Why do you think the show is bad now? Characterization? The show's long in the tooth now? What's bad about it to you?

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Not enough opportunities to inject their own lovely, convoluted theories that take up pages and pages and pages...

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

nickmeister posted:

I hope Frank is more like sober Frank from that one episode a few years ago. That was hilarious.

So what's up with Liam's actor change? Could the other actor actually not speak like a normal human being or something?

Don’t know but it feels like Liam was a toddler for 5 seasons and is now suddenly too old for kindergarten.

That episode didn’t really do anything for me.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
My understanding is that twins who were playing Liam didn’t want to do it any more.

It’s for the best, even though recasting a role seems weird. Remember that Liam was cast as a toddler - the kids who were playing him up till now weren’t professional actor kids, they just happened to be the toddlers chosen. They haven’t done anything else and as far as I know have no real interest in pursuing acting or any particular talent for it.

They lucked out with the kids playing Carl and Debbie, they turned out to be pretty good actors and they were able to give them more and more to do as they got older, but the same really can’t be said for Liam.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also Lip and Ian will be married and in their 30s by the end of this show’s run and they still won’t change the opening credits

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Those bloody credits! They should have changed them years ago. I thought they would have for sure this time what with Liam being played by a completely different person to what he was when the credits were filmed.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I wish they would change the opening sequence. Getting tired of looking up "Steve's" butthole.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

nickmeister posted:

I wish they would change the opening sequence. Getting tired of looking up "Steve's" butthole.

It's a metaphor for the show.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I knew Shameless was back when I saw a dude's cock in full view in the first scene

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Welp, I guess the memory of Monica will live on and on now.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Kev's shirts :allears:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Carlosologist posted:

I knew Shameless was back when I saw a dude's cock in full view in the first scene

Either you saw a totally different episode or I got a heavily censored version

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
What was with Lip and that plant at the end?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I see the writers have no interest in ever making Debbie redeemable again

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

less laughter posted:

What was with Lip and that plant at the end?

It was something like his sponsor told him to quit worrying about that girls life, and instead focus on taking care of a plant.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Kragger99 posted:

It was something like his sponsor told him to quit worrying about that girls life, and instead focus on taking care of a plant.

Oh right, thanks!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I looked away and missed how Ian wound up getting boobs tattooed on him.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

I looked away and missed how Ian wound up getting boobs tattooed on him.

He wanted to get a tattoo to remember Monica and the dude misunderstood and thought it was a girlfriend.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Henchman of Santa posted:

I see the writers have no interest in ever making Debbie redeemable again

Somebody has to be the new Monica.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

InfiniteZero posted:

Somebody has to be the new Monica.

Good then maybe they'll kill off Debbie too

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I hope Lip takes good care of his plant

Frank's spent two whole episodes as a somewhat believable redeemed person, it's just too bad about the meth withdrawal he's dealing with

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

I hope Lip takes good care of his plant

Frank's spent two whole episodes as a somewhat believable redeemed person, it's just too bad about the meth withdrawal he's dealing with

wheres the withdrawl part? is this part of getting off meth? Acting like a normal person?

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Good then maybe they'll kill off Debbie too

yes please, she is a poo poo actress and its super cringe to see her try to act normal.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Holyshoot posted:

wheres the withdrawl part? is this part of getting off meth? Acting like a normal person?

I think the part where his skin looks wilder than before as well him just straight up pulling a tooth out of his mouth are results of that; but who knows, more effects may show up

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I really wish Debbie didn't turn into a complete shithead because I really liked her early on. As soon as she decided she needed to have a baby her character took a huge nosedive.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

One of the Gallagher kids had to become irredeemable and it looks like it's likely gonna be Debbie. This show's pretty big on inherited trauma and Debbie's lovely tendencies didn't crop up until the expectations of her being an "adult" came into play. She's acting like the only adults she really knew: Frank and Fiona before Fiona got her poo poo together. Frank shunned responsibility and Fiona, while doing her best for her family, also did some insanely selfish poo poo because she inherited the position of guardian and felt like she was owed.

It seems like every other Gallagher kid is getting their poo poo together in some fashion and Lip and Ian have already imploded several times so this is probably Debbie's bite at the "fucks up royally" apple.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I hope they leave Liam alone. :ohdear:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Another good ep. Good to see Debbie get some comeuppance, Kev (Bart?) discovering he's an inbred hillbilly, digging up Monica was ridiculous and hilarious, Fiona was great all episode, and Frank....well, I don't know what to think about Francis but he owned this episode.

I'm real worried about Lip's professor, though. I just don't see his story ending well and if he kills himself or something it's gonna gently caress Lip up real bad.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Yeah, the Youens plotline has me all :ohdear: because it can go bad in a hell of a lot of ways that will destroy all of Lip's progress. I also like Francis and hope he stays this way for a while.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I'm happy that Neil has now discovered his prostate, nipples, and other erogenous zones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Has anything come up in regards to Fiona's guardianship and Carl's whole heroin thing from Season 5?

Or has there even been mention of her being their guardian past like, season 4?

• Locked thread