Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

Don't disparage Tom Hanks' other son who somehow doesn't even have a Wikipedia page

That explains my hunch that this kid must know someone to get a somewhat non minor role for being so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

For a minute I thought the kitchen scene with Carl was going to be him realizing she's crazy as hell, and that he needed to get out, not double down.

Frank's turn back was exactly at the moment he told the guy his name: Frank (not Francis).

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm extremely confused about what Carl thought he was doing by standing on his knee and presenting a ring.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

They're setting up a love triangle and also she works in close proximity with him. We'll be seeing her plenty.

This show has suddenly dropped a lot of minor characters and plots over the years so Eddie's lifespan being six episodes before disappearing isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Dr. Abysmal fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 9, 2018

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I would take a half hour spinoff about the adventures of Kev, V and Svetlana if this show ever gets cancelled.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MiddleOne posted:

I'm extremely confused about what Carl thought he was doing by standing on his knee and presenting a ring.

Teenagers are really loving stupid.

rubberrazors
Nov 1, 2011

I want to know what Ian was angry about/didn't talk to Fiona about. It sounded like a disease but I doubt they would do that to one of the main characters.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

rubberrazors posted:

I want to know what Ian was angry about/didn't talk to Fiona about. It sounded like a disease but I doubt they would do that to one of the main characters.

Ian has Bipolar II disorder like their mother had. Their mom was mostly unmedicated so she had an "adventurous" life like stairstepping children with Frank, getting hooked on every drug ever and was generally a *worse* parent than even Frank. That's why it's treated in such hushed tones; the possibility of Ian becoming that is always there.

rubberrazors
Nov 1, 2011

He was very adamant that he was still taking his meds. In real life, meds aren't a guarantee that everything's okay now, but in shameless life it felt like there was something else going on. I am taking back my disease guess, though.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Aw man, Lip :smith:

Beyond that, overall OK episode but still think this season's been a down one. Still wanna see V/Kev back with the rest of the cast (love their characters do not like their plot) especially, and now that Frank's back to status quo, :shrug:. It feels like the show doesn't have much left to really say for as much as I still love it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah it’s kind of been ruined by Showtime’s refusal to ever let shows end. Lip’s storyline has been very good though. Carl and Kassadi is one of the all time worst.

Also it’s now been like a month since they hinted at something being wrong with Ian and then dropped it. Maybe longer since we’ve seen Liam at school and they brought the new black kid in as his rival.

rubberrazors
Nov 1, 2011

Also it’s now been like a month since they hinted at something being wrong with Ian and then dropped it. Maybe longer since we’ve seen Liam at school and they brought the new black kid in as his rival.

There was a whole, what, 4 episodes of Kevin's redneck family. Guess we'll stop talking about that now.

This season is kinda all over the place. The most consistent was Frank and Lip, but Frank didn't even make it through the season without backtracking and I honestly feel like Lip's about to do the same. I'm enjoying the season, but let's try better at our next writers' brainstorm, eh?

e: I guess Fiona has been pretty straightforward too but 1) I'm disappointed she didn't go for the carpet team like I thought she would at the beginning of the season and 2) with your luck, Fiona, how did you not figure you'd be screwed over by some injured-on-your-property hobo.

rubberrazors fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 15, 2018

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I did not understand why the injured dude and fam was on her property (or next to it) anyway. It took me a while to even figure out that was the guy that fell off the roof. It's loving weird that that's the spot they decide to crash.

Carl has gone from one of the best storylines/characters to the most cringeworthy. Although, Ian's gay jesus thing is loving stupid too. The writers are going in circles, yet somehow I still like the show? Meh. I hope it ends soon.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Gay Jesus feels like an extremely Jenji Kohan storyline

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
i just watch this week to week and try not to remember what happened last week unless they tell me. Works better this way. Not like this is breaking bad or walking dead with its long arc story telling.

rubberrazors
Nov 1, 2011

Yeah, but there's a difference between that and completely dropping Kev finding his family because he wanted to know if "she did that thing with her tongue". It felt like some pointless filler for them, even for a trashy soap opera.

So, again, I guess we'll just pretend that didn't happen.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

rubberrazors posted:

Yeah, but there's a difference between that and completely dropping Kev finding his family because he wanted to know if "she did that thing with her tongue". It felt like some pointless filler for them, even for a trashy soap opera.

So, again, I guess we'll just pretend that didn't happen.

pretty much. I honestly forgot about it until you guys brought it up. Same with the rival black kid at Liams school

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Holyshoot posted:

pretty much. I honestly forgot about it until you guys brought it up. Same with the rival black kid at Liams school

Did I miss an episode? I can't even remember that being a thing.

Was Liam even in this episode???

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

Did I miss an episode? I can't even remember that being a thing.

Was Liam even in this episode???

He was selling merch with Frank

rubberrazors
Nov 1, 2011

Holyshoot posted:

I honestly forgot about the rival black kid. Liam hasn't been to school since. And I was excited to see Liam have an actual story, too. Let's just... slide this under the mat, then.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
Man yeah it has been a season of ADD and lost trains of thought!

They were really going somewhere with Liam being used as the token black kid at the expensive school and then there was a blacker kid lol. that was a good storyline!

Kev and his severely redneck family had some good jokes, like his "brothers" also marrying hot black chicks, but everyone was still weirdly racist and confusing, and then they just dumped it.

Everything happening with Carl has just been a little silly but every show needs some silly.. His psycho girlfriend isn't that much worse that most of Fiona's boyfriends though, just in different ways. I was hoping that they'd go with a real marriage and Carl would be INTO IT that he would make retirement money out of this idiot girl.

I'm gonna give Ian's stupid gay jesus storyline one more week before I call it Jenji-dumb, but I'm teetering

The best of the bad is still Fiona and her attempting to do better and get UP IN DIS WORLD story that has been constantly compromised by life, randomness, her own brother and now POORER people trying to take advantage. I think it's actually a worthwhile story-line. The whole "I bought a chair! It got ruined by essentially me" was a bit obvious, but I still get it, and I think it's a bit smarter than this dumb show will ever get credit for. :downs:

---

Completely different post. Lip and his poo poo had been a completely real downer and written exactly how this happens in real life. I'm surprised that they went as hard as to just have him die in jail without any real explanation, but Lip's whole story-line and his acting are pretty drat good. And knowing people like this, it feels very real and blah blahwhine whine

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

The only plotline I don't completely hate right now is Lip's, and that's getting a bit cringeworthy too. This show should have died a good death a season or two ago.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So it seems like a lot of poo poo is gonna go down in the finale next week. Good lord Debbie :stare: and Svetlana too, that was not any sort of twist I was expecting.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
the prisons system regularly lets convicted murderers out?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

He's white and he could've had a good lawyer

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

He's white and he could've had a good lawyer

They’re south side and poor. Highly doubt it.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Holyshoot posted:

Overcrowding can be a factor. Paroled murders actually have a low recidivism rate. With all of the details of the case like throwing his wifes body in a dumpster and doing it in front of his kids means he would not have been let out.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
This has just been a really dumb season overall, the second half especially, and the first one I've been overall more disappointed in than not. I hope the finale is good and they wrap things up next season.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Holyshoot posted:

Pretty low in the list of implausibilities in the Shamelessverse

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Crusty Nutsack posted:

The only plotline I don't completely hate right now is Lip's, and that's getting a bit cringeworthy too. This show should have died a good death a season or two ago.

MiddleOne posted:

God why won't this terrible show just die, even Dexter had the decency to have season 8 be its final one.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
So did tom hanks kid just gently caress off? I got the feeling he was the type of character who would ruin his gf's life(like kill her or hurt her very badly) then let her be with another dude or single.

quote:

MiddleOne posted:

God why won't this terrible show just die, even Dexter had the decency to have season 8 be its final one.

even with the ADD of this show, it is still a thousand times better then the garbage fire that was the later seasons of dexter.

rubberrazors
Nov 1, 2011

I love Liam. He's so cute.

Everyone else in this episode has some sort of dramatic pre-finale situation going on that's all meshed together and I don't really care.

The exploding van scene was cool, though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Holyshoot posted:

even with the ADD of this show, it is still a thousand times better then the garbage fire that was the later seasons of dexter.

We are literally watching another declining show star a son of Tom Hanks. The parallels could not be clearer.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The most mind blowing thing that happened last episode (from an Australian's perspective at least) is that Fiona's house is only worth $66k.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Maybe if it weren’t in a rough neighborhood or held together with duct tape and prayer. It’s essentially a flophouse.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Inkspot posted:

Maybe if it weren’t in a rough neighborhood or held together with duct tape and prayer. It’s essentially a flophouse.

still, If you took that house and stuck it in a major Australian city, in a similar location relative to the city center you'd be adding a zero on the end of the price tag just about. Hell those apartments in Fiona's Building could go for 400K each. Houses in Chicago are cheap.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

still, If you took that house and stuck it in a major Australian city, in a similar location relative to the city center you'd be adding a zero on the end of the price tag just about. Hell those apartments in Fiona's Building could go for 400K each. Houses in Chicago are cheap.

I think they were talking about the Gallagher house, not the building she owns. If that’s worth hundreds of thousands of dollars then Australia has severe issues.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I think they were talking about the Gallagher house, not the building she owns. If that’s worth hundreds of thousands of dollars then Australia has severe issues.

The Gallagher house would easily be worth half a million dollars if it was in one of Australia's major cities. It's a three bedroom house. The apartments in Fiona's apartment building would be 400k each easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

The Lord Bude posted:

I think it is worth a lot more than that but if she sold now she still owes too much on the mortgage to show a profit.

• Locked thread