Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I initially posted this in the PC parkpicking thread:

quote:

I've been getting blue screens of death with various memory related error messages since adding more RAM to my computer. I assume the problem is just a bad stick, which I can get replaced, but could anyone tell me if I am missing something else it could be?
My computer consists of:

quote:

Intel Core i5-4670K
MSI B85M-E45 mobo (which says it supports up to 32 gb memory)
Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Sport 1600MHz 8GB: 8GB kit(4GBx2), CL9, 1.5V, CL9-9-9-24

The memory I ordered was:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B006YG94Y2?ref_=pe_2105091_80804451_E_Asin_Title

However, I have since sent the RAM back and got a new set and after I install them I start getting bluescreens again. It seems unlikely I would get two sets of bad memory in a row, but I am not sure what else it would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Do you have a pair of RAM that was in there originally? If so, I'd swap those original 2 into the slots you're trying to add the new RAM, and do not put the new RAM in, see if it's an issue with the slots.

If no other RAM, try to pair the new RAM into different slots than the ones you're using.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

MF_James posted:

Do you have a pair of RAM that was in there originally? If so, I'd swap those original 2 into the slots you're trying to add the new RAM, and do not put the new RAM in, see if it's an issue with the slots.

I tried that with just the old RAM in the new RAM's slots and everything was fine. So I tried the new RAM in the old RAM's slots and it's been ok still. I ran Memtest 64 for a while with no errors, so it's a bit odd. I'll do normal stuff for a while and see if it BSoDs anymore :confused:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Darkrenown posted:

I tried that with just the old RAM in the new RAM's slots and everything was fine. So I tried the new RAM in the old RAM's slots and it's been ok still. I ran Memtest 64 for a while with no errors, so it's a bit odd. I'll do normal stuff for a while and see if it BSoDs anymore :confused:

Just trying to clarify, are you trying to run all 4 sticks and getting BSODs?

With either pair individually it works fine?

When putting all 4 in, you are pairing the slots (same 2 sticks in blue, other 2 sticks in black)?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Yes.

Well I thought so, but I mostly based it worked fine on running Memtest.

Yes.

I just got another BSoD though, this time it was "Page fault in nonpaged area"

Let's be super clear. I had a pair of RAM sticks (OldRAM) in a Pair of Slots (SlotsA). I then got a new pair of RAM (NewRAM) and placed them in the 2nd slots (SlotsB). With all 4 sticks in I was getting BSoDs. I got NewRAM replaced with another pair (NewRAM2) and also placed them into SlotsB. BSoDs. I tried running Memtest but it just BSoDed.

I have never had a BSoD with just OldRAM in SlotsA.

I then took out NewRAM2 and swapped OldRAM into SlotsB. I then ran Memtest though 15 loops with no problems.

Since the slots seems to be working I plugged NewRAM2 into SlotsA and ran another 15 loops of Memtest with no problems, so I thought all was good and made the above post. But after a while of using my computer I got the "Page fault in nonpaged area" BSoD :(

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Run with just oldram in slotsB and see if you get a BSOD.

Were you doing anything particular during the crash?

Typically I would assume bad RAM or driver issue for that BSOD.

You could try updating drivers, but it'd be best to do 1 thing at a time (testing slotsB)

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I was playing a game, World of Warships, during the latest one. Previews times I've just been browsing.

I'm trying just OldRAM in SlotsB for now, and so far no BSoDs. Everything seems to point to NewRAM2 just being bad too, but it seems very unlikely I'd have got two sets of bad RAM in a row. Maybe my post person carries a giant magnet in their pocket?

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 6, 2017

MF_James
May 8, 2008

if you can run oldRAM in both pairs of slots without issue, but newRAM doesn't work in either slot when alone, I'd say it's a RAM issue

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Well, I have ran oldRAM in SlotsB for over 2 days without problem, so I guess it really is just the [new] RAM. Again. How annoying.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Nov 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Sorry, also, thanks for your help!

• Locked thread