Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Hi thread! I signed up for the rec slow pitch softball team at work. The most experience I’ve had with anything resembling this sport is quoting Kang (Kodos?) saying "as a young boy I dreamed of being a base ball".

The OP says baseball and softball equipment are different. I have a ball. Gonna grab a glove and a bat. What should I get? What should I avoid? This is the rec-est of rec leagues, if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I can do those things, thanks!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Ended up with a 13" glove and an exactly $30 bat. Thanks thread! And yep 12" softball.

I did think to check the league rules for allowed bats. I’m in Canada and our national association hides the approved bat list behind a login wall??? but yeah there’s a logo to look for so it’s ez pz.

I see what you mean about someone having some hilarious $$$ bat but I think this team is mostly scrubs so I'm not gonna count on it. Last year they won at most 1 game, and we're talking the most recreational of rec leagues available to non-children.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

It’s surprisingly hard to hit a sphere with a cylinder! Who knew?? Learning curve looks like a mountain from here, I can't imagine dealing with actual pitching.

Been throwing around and batting a bit for practice and it’s really fun. Might take me awhile to get used to the standing around. And if our first team practice is any indication, we'll be spending a looooot of time in the field. Yay rec league!

• Locked thread